Joe Warren on Nick Kirk: “He’s Just a Body That’s in Front Me to Put a Hole Through”


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

WarrenKidYamamoto559Dream9Heading into his scheduled fight earlier this month against Nick Kirk in the semifinals of the Bellator bantamweight tournament on Sept. 7, Joe Warren’s path took an unexpected turn.

Literally on his way to catch his airplane to fly to the event in Connecticut, Warren was told the fight was in jeopardy due to an issue with his pre-fight medical exam. What ensued was a series of events that ultimately culminated in his bout with Kirk being rescheduled for this Friday’s Bellator event in Portland, Ore.

“What it was, there were abnormalities in the images, they weren’t all printing the same,” said Warren. “I had to have another MRI and Bellator wouldn’t let me back in there until everyone signed off.

“It was like three or four doctors that had to sign off, which three of them did, and Connecticut just took a little longer, but they did sign off on it. I’m completely fine, nothing is wrong with me, so I’m thankful for it.”

During the time in which it took for Warren to be cleared to fight, he heard opinions ranging from he’d be cleared to it might be that he’d never fight again. When looking back on the experience, Warren told MMAWeekly.com that it was nothing but extremes from one day to the next.

“Every day it was something different,” he said. “One doctor saw this; one doctor saw that. It was just a freak of nature. It was like a needle in a haystack.

“It was ups and downs. I was ready to fight and everything gets turned around. So for everyone to tell me that, it was just a rollercoster for me and my family for a while.”

Now that he’s cleared and 100-percent ready to go, Warren (8-3) is focused on making his return to fighting after 10 months off against up-and-comer Nick Kirk (10-2).

“He’s a pretty talented fighter, but I believe he’s just a body that’s in front me to put a hole through in the Bellator cage,” said Warren of Kirk.

“It will give me an opportunity at the next round of the tournament. It’s one step at a time and he’s my first step. I think I’m going to put a little violence in his face and beat the crap out of him.”

When asked if this tournament was an all or nothing proposition for Warren, he admitted this could very well be his last opportunity, so he was going to make the absolute most of it.

“I think it’s everything or nothing at every point for me,” he said. “That’s how I lived my life with fighting and wrestling. I put everything into it.

“I’m not the young buck anymore coming up. I’m the older guy, and so let’s be realistic. I’m 37, so I’m not going to have many more chances to run for a belt. So this is one that I’m not going to let slip past me.”

view original article >>

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 27 views

Fight week always feels the same for UFC heavyweight Stefan Struve. But in another sense, there’s nothing usual about his next mixed martial arts bout.Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 22 days ago
  • 64 views

Not since "Duel" has a guy in a truck caused this much aggravation. The "truck" has a breakdown ... in communication!
I'm referring, of course, to the mystery man in the production truck, who was buzzing in UFC color commentator Joe Rogan's ear, asking him to put Ronda Rousey on the hook for UFC 176, shortly after she was done mopping the floor with Alexis Davis at UFC 175.
A question that caused UFC President Dana White to "blow a gasket."
Not long after the incident, Rogan took to The Undergro more

  • 21 days ago
  • 35 views

Two incredibly talented lightweight fighters who despite their tenure inside the Octagon, are still searching for their first UFC title shot. If Jim Miller has his way, it will be yet another setback for Donald Cerrone, who can expect to be "put away early" when they hook 'em up in the main event of UFC Fight Night 45 on July 16, 2014, inside Revel Resorts in Atlantic City, NJ. Between the two of them, they have a combined six-straight wins with five finishes. Take note UFC, as that's how you ma more

  • 11 days ago
  • 24 views

If Ian McCall really wants to fight him, John Lineker said he’s game. However, he suggested they may need to agree to some rules ahead of time.Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 8 days ago
  • 16 views

RIO DE JANEIRO -- There can only be one Bellator bantamweight champion.
Eduardo Dantas and Joe Warren, Bellator champion and interim champion, respectively, will square off for the undisputed 135-pound title in September, Dantas’ coach and manager Andre Pederneiras said during a media day at Nova Uniao on Wednesday.
"September," Pederneiras said when asked when Dantas will fight again. "He has a fight scheduled, but I don’t have the exact date of the fight."
Dantas (16-3) defended his title for more

  • 6 days ago
  • 34 views

Former UFC welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz discusses his intention to fight Anderson Silva before challenging Johny Hendricks for the welterweight title. Considering many of the questions in circulation at Dana White media scrums over the past few months were generally focused on Nate Diaz's potential return to the UFC, fans and pundits alike were surprised to find that it was older brother Nick Diaz who had penned a new deal with the UFC.
The former welterweight title challenger came ou more

  • 2 days ago
  • 18 views

We put a lot of importance on athletic endeavors, but Israeli UFC fighter Noad Lahat is going home to fight a bigger fight; the fight for peace, the fight for his family. more

  • a day ago
  • 12 views

Nick Diaz has always been a little bit different from everyone else in mixed martial arts, and that's why the fans love him.
While others are respectful, Diaz is brash and insulting. Others tell you they'll fight anyone the UFC asks them to; Diaz says he'll only fight the biggest opponents available.
Others say they enjoy fighting simply for the love of competition. Diaz? He hates it.
"Fighting is not something I enjoy doing. Fighting is something I feel I have to do, and that's just the way it more

  • 20 hours ago
  • 23 views

And you wouldn't either, according to the Stockton slugger.
After sitting out for nearly two years, Nick Diaz decided it was time to get back into the swing of things as he inked a new deal to return to Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).
His retirement break from fighting didn't have anything to do with losing love for the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA), but rather, not getting proposed fights he felt were big enough to convince him to keep going.
While Nick has often voiced his displeasur more