Joe Warren at Dream 9

Former Bellator featherweight champion Joe Warren has been removed from Saturday’s Bellator 98 fight card.

The Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation, the regulating body for Saturday’s event at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Conn.,  deemed Warren ineligible after reviewing the medical documentation he submitted.

Bellator officials on Friday released a statement announcing the change.

“I’ve been fortunate to work with one of the best commissioners in the sport in Mike Mazzulli, and after carefully reviewing Joe’s medical documents, everyone agreed to err on the side of caution with the goal of ensuring our fighters safety,” said Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney.

“It was determined Joe would be unable to compete this Saturday at Mohegan Sun. Joe’s been with us since the beginning and as is the case with every fighter here, it’s incumbent on me to ensure Joe is 100-percent healthy and medically cleared to fight before he steps into the Bellator cage.”

It has to be a huge disappointment to Warren, who hasn’t fought in nearly a year.

“The last year, I was supposed to fight a little bit more than I did, but Fight Master came around and a lot of other opportunities came around, so I focused on that,” Warren told MMAWeekly.com, referring to Bellator’s new reality show on Spike TV.

A former featherweight champion, Warren was supposed to face Nick Kirk in a bantamweight tournament semifinal bout on Saturday. He said he had even worked with fellow Fight Master coach Greg Jackson in his preparations for the fight.

“I was able to have Greg help me train for this fight. I used everything at my fingertips to keep myself as safe as physically possible and to get in this cage and be as violent as I possibly can,” said Warren.

“I’m in a place mentally and physically that’s the best I’ve ever been in.”

Bellator did not reveal the specific concern that caused Warren’s removal, saying that the fight would be “delayed until further notice.”

With the removal of the bout from Saturday’s card, a preliminary lightweight bout between Patricky “Pitbull” Freire and Derek Anderson will now be featured on the Bellator 98 main card broadcast on Spike TV.

Warren’s ineligibility was the second big blow to the Bellator 98 fight card. The Fight Master finale between Joe Riggs and Mike Bronzoulis was also supposed to have taken place on Saturday, but Riggs was forced out of the bout due to a recent training injury.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Joe Warren vs. L.C. Davis, Beltran vs. Grove headline Bellator 143 in Texas

  • 19 days ago
  • 4 views

Bellator will return to Texas for the first time since March of 2012 when the promotion heads to the “Lone Star State” for Bellator 143.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Joe Warren and LC Davis Battle for Title Contention in Bellator 143 Headliner

  • 18 days ago
  • 2 views

Joe Warren’s road to reclaim the Bellator MMA Bantamweight Championship will begin on Friday, September 25 against L.C. Davis. read news >>

Joe Warren vs. L.C. Davis headlines Bellator 143 in September

  • 18 days ago
  • 9 views

"The Baddest Man on the Planet" will try to get back in the win column next month. Joe Warren takes on L.C. Davis in the main event of Bellator 143 on Sept. 25 in Hidalgo, Texas, the promotion announ read news >>

Bellator 141 card complete with addition of five preliminary bouts

  • 26 days ago
  • 16 views

The Bellator 141 card is now complete with the promotion’s announcement of five additional preliminary bouts. The event takes place Aug. 28 at Pechanga Resort & Casino in Temecula, Calif. The main ca read news >>

Bellator 141: Justin Wren returns to MMA after five years in Congo

  • 26 days ago
  • 51 views

A former competitor on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), Justin Wren took a five year layoff to overcome his personal demons and make a difference for others in the Congo. He'll return to the cage on Augus read news >>

UFC 190 injuries and medical suspensions: Claudia Gadelha and Patrick Cummins facing six-month sits

  • 27 days ago
  • 12 views

Brazilian Athletic Commission (CABMMA) issued its list of injuries and medical suspensions on Monday for the mixed martial arts (MMA) fighters who participated in UFC 190, which took place last Sat. read news >>

UFC 190 medical suspensions: Five fighters potentially out six months

  • 27 days ago
  • 36 views

Five fighters could get long medical suspensions following UFC 190, the Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) announced on Monday. Claudia Gadelha and Jessica Aguilar, who battled for three roun read news >>

UFC 190 Medical Suspensions: Five Fighters Potentially Sidelined for Six Months

  • 27 days ago
  • 17 views

Women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey received a minimal suspension following her 34-second knockout of Bethe Corriea at UFC 190, but five fighters could be sidelined for six months. read news >>

UFC 190 medical suspensions: Claudia Gadelha among five with potentially long terms

  • 27 days ago
  • 1 views

Comissao Atletica Brasileira de MMA (CABMMA), MMA’s regulatory body in Brazil, has issued medical suspensions to fighters from this past weekend’s UFC 190, and five face lengthy terms.Filed under: Ne read news >>

UFC 190's Reebok pay: Demian Maia earns top non-title sponsorship payout

  • 28 days ago
  • 22 views

With the new UFC-Reebok sponsorship program, the fighters from Saturday’s UFC 190 event took home payouts totaling $202,500.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>