Joe Lauzon

Joe Lauzon

Challenge extended.

And if the UFC wants it to happen, challenge accepted.

Just days after UFC lightweight title contender Melvin Guillard offered up the name of Joe Lauzon as a possible opponent so he could fight at UFC 136 in Houston, he has an answer.

Lauzon, appearing on MMAWeekly Radio, says that if the UFC wants that fight to happen, he’s more than willing to sign on the dotted line.

“Melvin’s saying he wants to fight me. Last week, I think Charles Oliveira’s saying he wants to fight me. I’ll fight whoever the UFC wants. If the UFC wants me to fight Melvin, then let’s do it. If the UFC wants me to fight Charles Oliveira, then let’s do it,” Lauzon said.

“I’m not too picky. I’ve never told the UFC ‘no I don’t want to fight.’ If they want me to fight someone, then I’ll do it.”

Lauzon is coming off a ‘Submission of the Night’ victory at UFC on Versus 4 over Curt Warburton in Pittsburgh, but not before knocking his British opponent down with some nasty stand-up.

The popular Boston area fighter has always been known as an exciting product in the Octagon and a match-up with Guillard could bring a major lightweight match-up to the show in Houston.

While Guillard’s mention of Lauzon’s name was done with respect, the two 155-pound fighters could have great potential for the card.

The UFC has yet to determine a main card for the Houston show, but more fights are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

If matchmaker Joe Silva offers up Melvin Guillard as an opponent, Lauzon has no problem accepting the fight for that show.

“I think with a proper training camp, things like that, I can game plan and be ready for anyone,” Lauzon said. “Whoever the UFC wants, I’m down. If they want Melvin, then let’s do it.”

Now it’s up to the UFC and the fans to decide if Melvin Guillard vs. Joe Lauzon is the match-up they want to see.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

MMAjunkie Radio (noon ET): Joe Lauzon, James Vick and Mike Bohn

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) with guests Joe Lauzon, James Vick and Mike Bohn.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Takanori Gomi and Joe Lauzon Added to UFC on Fox 16 Card for July

Takanori Gomi and Joe Lauzon will face off in a lightweight contest at UFC on Fox 16, according to a Thursday report from MMAJunkie.com. It will be hard punches and sharp submission attempts as two o read news >>

Joe Lauzon vs. Takanori Gomi set for UFC on FOX 16

"The Fireball Kid" is set to make his Octagon return against the always entertaining Joe Lauzon at UFC on FOX 16 in Chicago. A lightweight bout with high potential for fireworks (not literally, that read news >>

Joe Lauzon vs. Takanori Gomi Added to UFC on Fox 16 in Chicago

A lightweight bout between former PRIDE champion Takanori Gomi (35-10, 1 NC) and all-time post-fight bonus winner Joe Lauzon (24-10) has been added to the UFC on Fox 16 fight card. read news >>

Joe Lauzon vs. Takanori Gomi slated for UFC on FOX 16

A scrap between entertaining lightweight veterans is the latest addition to UFC on FOX 16, as Joe Lauzon and former Pride champion Takanori Gomi have agreed to dance on the July 25 card. The UFC anno read news >>

Takanori Gomi vs. Joe Lauzon added to UFC on FOX 16 in July

A lightweight contest between Japanese superstar Takanori Gomi and “Fight Night” bonus machine Joe Lauzon has been added to UFC on FOX 16.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

WSOF 20's Ozzy Dugulubgov: I was prepared for Melvin Guillard to be pulled

Ozzy Dugulubgov’s demeanor is surprisingly restrained for a fighter who recently missed out on the most noteworthy contest of his entire career. Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

WSOF president Ray Sefo rips Melvin Guillard's unprofessionalism

Melvin Guillard's lack of professionalism led World Series of Fighting to pull him from his bout this weekend according to Ray Sefo. WSOF president Ray Sefo has been a fighter for many years, and und read news >>

Ray Sefo says Melvin Guillard's continued unprofessionalism led to his removal from WSOF 20

To say that longtime UFC veteran Melvin Guillard's stint with the World Series of Fighting has been tumultuous would be a drastic understatement. Not only has "The Young Assassin" missed weight on tw read news >>