Joe Lauzon

Joe Lauzon

Challenge extended.

And if the UFC wants it to happen, challenge accepted.

Just days after UFC lightweight title contender Melvin Guillard offered up the name of Joe Lauzon as a possible opponent so he could fight at UFC 136 in Houston, he has an answer.

Lauzon, appearing on MMAWeekly Radio, says that if the UFC wants that fight to happen, he’s more than willing to sign on the dotted line.

“Melvin’s saying he wants to fight me. Last week, I think Charles Oliveira’s saying he wants to fight me. I’ll fight whoever the UFC wants. If the UFC wants me to fight Melvin, then let’s do it. If the UFC wants me to fight Charles Oliveira, then let’s do it,” Lauzon said.

“I’m not too picky. I’ve never told the UFC ‘no I don’t want to fight.’ If they want me to fight someone, then I’ll do it.”

Lauzon is coming off a ‘Submission of the Night’ victory at UFC on Versus 4 over Curt Warburton in Pittsburgh, but not before knocking his British opponent down with some nasty stand-up.

The popular Boston area fighter has always been known as an exciting product in the Octagon and a match-up with Guillard could bring a major lightweight match-up to the show in Houston.

While Guillard’s mention of Lauzon’s name was done with respect, the two 155-pound fighters could have great potential for the card.

The UFC has yet to determine a main card for the Houston show, but more fights are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

If matchmaker Joe Silva offers up Melvin Guillard as an opponent, Lauzon has no problem accepting the fight for that show.

“I think with a proper training camp, things like that, I can game plan and be ready for anyone,” Lauzon said. “Whoever the UFC wants, I’m down. If they want Melvin, then let’s do it.”

Now it’s up to the UFC and the fans to decide if Melvin Guillard vs. Joe Lauzon is the match-up they want to see.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Watch UFC Fight Night 103 co-headliner Joe Lauzon decimate Diego Sanchez at UFC 200

Joe Lauzon was in a bonus funk heading into UFC 200. There’s no other way to put it. Watch how he came out of it inside.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): UFC Fight Night 103's Joe Lauzon, Jon Anik, John Morgan

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Joe Lauzon, Jon Anik and John Morgan.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 103's Joe Lauzon plans to retire when he no longer wants to train

There was a time UFC lightweight Joe Lauzon ducked out of his cubicle at his day job to do MMA interviews. Lying about the injuries he sustained in fights was another fun distraction. Everybody knows read news >>

Despite UFC debut loss, Marcin Held thinks he got a step up in competition with Joe Lauzon

MESA, Ariz. – Marcin Held isn’t looking for any gimme fights in the UFC. The promotion has made sure to oblige to that request by giving him Joe Lauzon in just his second UFC appearance.Filed under: read news >>

Joe Lauzon Reacts to Judges Scorecards: 'Wasn't My Night' (UFC Phoenix Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Following his split decision win over Marcin Held in the UFC Fight Night 103 co-main event, Joe Lauzon said that Held should have gotten the win. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 103 Athlete Outfitting pay: B.J. Penn and Joe Lauzon earn largest payouts

PHOENIX – Fighters from Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 103 event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok, totaling $105,000.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

In 23rd UFC fight, Lauzon isn't old, just experienced

Joe Lauzon will enter the Octagon for the 23rd time on Sunday as he takes on Marcin Held at Fight Night Phoenix. read news >>

Despite 23 UFC fights, here's why 32-year-old Joe Lauzon isn't slowing down

PHOENIX – At 32 lightweight Joe Lauzon has been in the UFC for more tha a decade. Still, he doesn’t see himself falling behind his younger competition: “I don’t feel that they’ve got a head start on read news >>

Watch Joe Lauzon Make Quick Work of Diego Sanchez at UFC 200 (Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Joe Lauzon defeat Diego Sanchez at UFC 200. Lauzon takes on Marcin Held in the co-main event at UFC Fight Night 103 in Phoenix. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 103 results: Joe Lauzon takes split from Marcin Held, admits he '100 percent' should've lost

PHOENIX – Takedowns were the name of the game for former Bellator submission standout Marcin Held against fellow grappling wiz Joe Lauzon. And somehow it didn’t pay off.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>