Joe Lauzon, ‘If the UFC Wants Me to Fight Melvin Guillard, then Let’s Do It’

Joe Lauzon

Joe Lauzon

Challenge extended.

And if the UFC wants it to happen, challenge accepted.

Just days after UFC lightweight title contender Melvin Guillard offered up the name of Joe Lauzon as a possible opponent so he could fight at UFC 136 in Houston, he has an answer.

Lauzon, appearing on MMAWeekly Radio, says that if the UFC wants that fight to happen, he’s more than willing to sign on the dotted line.

“Melvin’s saying he wants to fight me. Last week, I think Charles Oliveira’s saying he wants to fight me. I’ll fight whoever the UFC wants. If the UFC wants me to fight Melvin, then let’s do it. If the UFC wants me to fight Charles Oliveira, then let’s do it,” Lauzon said.

“I’m not too picky. I’ve never told the UFC ‘no I don’t want to fight.’ If they want me to fight someone, then I’ll do it.”

Lauzon is coming off a ‘Submission of the Night’ victory at UFC on Versus 4 over Curt Warburton in Pittsburgh, but not before knocking his British opponent down with some nasty stand-up.

The popular Boston area fighter has always been known as an exciting product in the Octagon and a match-up with Guillard could bring a major lightweight match-up to the show in Houston.

While Guillard’s mention of Lauzon’s name was done with respect, the two 155-pound fighters could have great potential for the card.

The UFC has yet to determine a main card for the Houston show, but more fights are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

If matchmaker Joe Silva offers up Melvin Guillard as an opponent, Lauzon has no problem accepting the fight for that show.

“I think with a proper training camp, things like that, I can game plan and be ready for anyone,” Lauzon said. “Whoever the UFC wants, I’m down. If they want Melvin, then let’s do it.”

Now it’s up to the UFC and the fans to decide if Melvin Guillard vs. Joe Lauzon is the match-up they want to see.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

The Ultimate Fighter 15 runner-up Al Iaquinta faces Joe Lauzon on the UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz main card on Jan. 31 and believes he’s going to have a good showing. read news >>

UFC lightweight Joe Lauzon may be one of the most exciting fighting Lauzon's, but he readily admits that his son Joey is the best fighter, having KO'd cancer! read news >>

Joe Lauzon and Al Iaquinta will look to break into the top 15 this Saturday (Jan. 31, 2015) at UFC 183 inside the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Between these two former Ultimate Fighte read news >>

Not too long ago, veteran UFC lightweight Joe Lauzon’s mindset was that a good opponent was just as important as a meaningful one for his career. Now, he thinks a little differently. Filed under: MMA read news >>

LAS VEGAS -- Al Iaquinta talks about his UFC 183 fight against Joe Lauzon, his issues with CM Punk in the UFC, what he learned from his loss to Mitch Clarke, not wanting to win a Fight of the Night b read news >>

Joe Lauzon took a few minutes before his UFC 183 bout with Al Iaquinta to talk with Phoenix Carnevale about his first fight, and the first time he stepped in a cage, as well as some interesting tidbi read news >>

• 21 hours ago

This is the UFC 183 live blog for Joe Lauzon vs. Al Iaquinta, a lightweight bout at Saturday night's UFC event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.Lauzon, who has won three of his past five fi read news >>

• 20 hours ago

Al Iaquinta took a very big TKO win over Joe Lauzon in their UFC 183 lightweight fight. Al Iaquinta fought smart, and it helped him to earn a stoppage over a very durable fighter. On the feet, no les read news >>

• 16 hours ago

VEGAS – MMA fans have learned that Joe Lauzon fights tend to end with one of the men involved receiving post-fight bonuses. But Lauzon came out on the wrong end of things at UFC 183.Filed under: News read news >>