Joe Lauzon, ‘If the UFC Wants Me to Fight Melvin Guillard, then Let’s Do It’

Joe Lauzon

Joe Lauzon

Challenge extended.

And if the UFC wants it to happen, challenge accepted.

Just days after UFC lightweight title contender Melvin Guillard offered up the name of Joe Lauzon as a possible opponent so he could fight at UFC 136 in Houston, he has an answer.

Lauzon, appearing on MMAWeekly Radio, says that if the UFC wants that fight to happen, he’s more than willing to sign on the dotted line.

“Melvin’s saying he wants to fight me. Last week, I think Charles Oliveira’s saying he wants to fight me. I’ll fight whoever the UFC wants. If the UFC wants me to fight Melvin, then let’s do it. If the UFC wants me to fight Charles Oliveira, then let’s do it,” Lauzon said.

“I’m not too picky. I’ve never told the UFC ‘no I don’t want to fight.’ If they want me to fight someone, then I’ll do it.”

Lauzon is coming off a ‘Submission of the Night’ victory at UFC on Versus 4 over Curt Warburton in Pittsburgh, but not before knocking his British opponent down with some nasty stand-up.

The popular Boston area fighter has always been known as an exciting product in the Octagon and a match-up with Guillard could bring a major lightweight match-up to the show in Houston.

While Guillard’s mention of Lauzon’s name was done with respect, the two 155-pound fighters could have great potential for the card.

The UFC has yet to determine a main card for the Houston show, but more fights are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

If matchmaker Joe Silva offers up Melvin Guillard as an opponent, Lauzon has no problem accepting the fight for that show.

“I think with a proper training camp, things like that, I can game plan and be ready for anyone,” Lauzon said. “Whoever the UFC wants, I’m down. If they want Melvin, then let’s do it.”

Now it’s up to the UFC and the fans to decide if Melvin Guillard vs. Joe Lauzon is the match-up they want to see.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Veteran UFC lightweight Joe Lauzon stood to make $6,000 when he showed up for a UFC 63 fight with Jens Pulver eight years ago in Anaheim. My, how things have changed.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

There may not be a title on the line, but that's not going to stop Joe Lauzon from fighting like he's one win away from the division strap. Hey, it's not like he racked up 12 post-fight bonuses by ac read news >>

This is the UFC Fight Night 50 live blog for Joe Lauzon vs. Michael Chiesa, a lightweight bout at Friday night's UFC event at the Foxwoods Resort Casino in Ledyard, Conn.Lauzon, who has won two of hi read news >>

Joe Lauzon and Michael Chiesa will step into the cage to determine who is the superior submission fighter on the main card of UFC Fight Night 50, which takes place this Friday (Sept. 5, 2014) in Ledy read news >>

One Sunday in January, Joe Lauzon and his wife welcomed their first son, Joey Lauzon, into the world. Tears of joy turned into those of pain, as doctors broke the terrible news to the couple that the read news >>

Joe Lauzon looks to defeat Michael Chiesa in a battle between two submission experts who hope to mangle each other's bones in Connecticut. Lightweight Joe Lauzon vs. Michael Chiesa Non Advanced Stats read news >>

If Michael Chiesa’s hunch is right, Friday night just may be the day he catapults from “The Ultimate Fighter” winner to bona fide Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight contender.Filed under: New read news >>

That cut, though. The main card of tonight's (Fri., Sept. 5, 2014) UFC Fight Night 50: "Jacare vs. Mousasi" event from the Foxwoods Resort Casino in Ledyard, Connecticut on Fox Sports 1 featured pere read news >>

LEDYARD, Conn. – Joe Lauzon and Michael Chiesa went back and forth in a raucous fight to open UFC Fight Night 50’s main card before a cut forced the cageside doctor to stop the bout.Filed under: News read news >>