Jim Miller may have taken his UFC 155 bout with Joe Lauzon on short notice, but the New Jersey native was anything but short on offense when fight night rolled around.

Cutting 30 pounds in six weeks in order to make the fight date, Miller attacked “J-Lau” from the bout’s opening moments at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, chopping away with low kicks before opening a gash above Lauzon’s right eye with a flurry of standing elbow strikes.

“I was able to start landing early, and I got that momentum. Momentum is very big inside the cage. I got that little bit of a lead and just kept the pressure on him,” Miller told Fox Sports following his unanimous decision victory over Lauzon on Saturday night. “We had the game plan of using those low inside kicks, and I’ve been working on my elbows for a couple of years now. I just haven’t really had the opportunity to use them inside the cage, so tonight was a little bit of a coming out party for my striking skills.”

With Lauzon’s forehead leaking like a sieve due to the elbows, Miller continued to pump his straight left into his game opponent’s crimson mask for much of the three-round contest, continually beating his game opponent to the punch.

“We saw that he had some trouble [with Anthony Pettis], so I was just trying to exploit it by throwing that straight [left] down the pipe,” said Miller. “I have to watch that when I’m fighting a righty, as well, but I was getting off sooner than he was.”

Ever the competitor, Lauzon continued to battle deep into round three, finally leaping for a scissor takedown and trying to secure an inverted heel hook before fishing for a guillotine choke in an attempt to finish the fight in the ensuing scramble.

“The heel hook was pretty close, but I was able to control his wrist and point my toes up, like slipping out of a boot, basically,” said Miller of Lauzon’s late submission attempts. “The guillotine at the end wasn’t anything I was really worried about.”

With his win, Miller earns his 11th UFC win in 14 appearances. The southpaw’s only Octagon losses have come to former title challengers Gray Maynard and Nate Diaz and reigning 155-pound kingpin Benson Henderson.

“I’m here to stay. When I step into the cage, I’m looking to leave it all in there,” said Miller. “Fifteen minutes can be a long time if you’re getting beat up, but in the grand scheme of things, it’s really not that long. You just have to suck it up. I look at a fighter getting tired like a swimmer getting wet.”

The “Fight of the Night” winning performance now behind him, Miller hopes that the coming year will provide him with more opportunities to compete than did 2012.

“I hope I’m very busy,” said Miller. “I had eight months off between my last fight and this one, and that was way too long for me. I like to fight every three months.”

UFC 200 starts with three quick TKO's

UFC 200 got off to a quick start as Jim Miller, Gegard Mousasi and Joe Lauzon all recorded first round TKO's to start an historic night. read news >>

Jim Miller vs. Joe Lauzon Rematch Added to UFC on FOX 21

Jim Miller and Joe Lauzon are poised to fight at UFC on FOX 21 in a rematch of their epic battle that dates back to UFC 155, which closed out 2012. read news >>

UFC 200: Submission Artist Joe Lauzon's 5 Bossest Submissions

At UFC 200 on Saturday, Joe Lauzon heads the Fight Pass prelims when he faces Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Diego Sanchez. Lauzon, however, is a seasoned BJJ practitioner as well and has routinely e read news >>

Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Lauzon Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

For as long as it lasted, Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Lauzon was everything we thought it would be at UFC 200 on Saturday. Sanchez came right out to the center of the Octagon as always. He pressured Lauzon read news >>

VIDEO: Jim Miller Considered Retiring, Discovered He was Battling Lyme Disease Before UFC 200

Jim Miller talks about his win over Takanori Gomi at UFC 200 and how he considered retiring. But then doctors discovered he had Lyme Disease, which is manageable. read news >>

Jim Miller vs. Takanori Gomi: Results, Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Jim Miller made sure UFC 200 started with a bang. So did Takanori Gomi, in his own way. Gomi, the Japanese legend and former Pride lightweight kingpin, suffered his third consecutive first-round knoc read news >>

VIDEO: Joe Lauzon on Quick Win Over Diego Sanchez: ‘Nice to Not Feel Like I Was in a Car Wreck’

Joe Lauzon talks about his win over Diego Sanchez. While fans expected a war, Lauzon is completely happy having made quick work of Sanchez. read news >>

Inching Closer to the Spotlight, Brent Knopp Hopes to Impress at SFL America

As middleweight prospect Brent “Mankill” Knopp is inching closer and closer to the national spotlight, he hopes to impress at Super Fight League America. read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson 2 Announced Following UFC 200

New UFC Middleweight champion Michael Bisping is a very busy man, and his schedule just got even more crowded. Speaking to Fox Sports 1 on the UFC 200 post-fight show, UFC President Dana White announ read news >>

UFC Fight Night 91: Live Results, Play-by-Play and Fight Card Highlights

Just four days removed from a busy week that concluded with the historic UFC 200 card, the world's largest fight promotion is back in action this Wednesday, July 13. The event is headlined by a banta read news >>