Jens Pulver is a legend of MMA, but over the last few years his trials and tribulations in fighting have been on public display for everyone to watch.

Going 4-8 over his last 12 fights, Pulver has battled to find his place in a sport he helped build not that long ago, but now as he heads into his first bout for ONE FC, he knows to stay relevant you have to win.

To get back on the winning track, Pulver needs to beat rising star Eric Kelly this weekend and to do that, he knows he has to remember what made him great, and what he’s still capable of doing inside the cage.

MMAWeekly.com: What are your thoughts on Eric Kelly?

Jens Pulver: Nothing’s easy with this kid, he throws everything hard, he’s got a big country on his shoulders and he wears that with pride. He’s got the craziest rear naked choke I’ve ever seen, he hits it from different spots that I haven’t really seen before and all around athleticism and agility, while my agility is starting to slide his is still fine. I know how fast he is, If I don’t hit him hard he’s going to start steamrolling me and once he starts doing that it’s like trying to roll a ball up a hill, it’s hard to stop so I can’t let him get to that point.

I know what it was like to be young and fight a guy who was a former world champion. I know how you are motivated for that I know how that pushes you and if he comes out and lands six, seven, eight shots off the bat, like I said about that ball rolling down the hill, I can’t stop that so I’ve gotta get in there right off the bat and let him know ‘hey, I just play with the name old, I can still throw punches!’

MMAWeekly: There will be 16,500 fans in the Araneta Coliseum, after being UFC champion and fighting for Pride how much do you need such a big stage to motivate you?

JP: I need that motivation. People read about my losses and I’m not going to get into it but depression and anxiety are hard to beat and they caught up to me. Having opponents that are top notch makes the difference, when I’m sitting there and I’m fighting a smaller show and I don’t know who my opponent is, you know he’s going to come at me 1,000-percent but I got no idea about him. A guy like Eric Kelly I know my work is going to be cut out for me against him, I know who he is and I know to fear him because I know about him and that makes me train a lot harder.

MMAWeekly: How is your weight right now (approx 3pm Wednesday afternoon!)?

JP: Right now I’m heavy, I am at 153 which is right where I wanna be. I’m trying to stay big, but my days of being the 155 lbs kingpin are over, those guys are way too big. Normally I’m a 135lber which was my high school weight but coming up from 135 to fight a guy like this at 145, I was all for it.

MMAWeekly: What sort of things have you been doing to prepare yourself for this fight?

JP: I have been remembering what it was like to be the world champion, this guy that had no fear, that took on anybody. You hit me once I’ll hit you twice, you hit me twice I’ll hit you eight times. I’m gonna take you into deep water and I’m gonna drown you. I spend a lot of my time trying to remember what I was and what I still could be and why I am out there doing it.

For me it’s about the motivation, I could beat the national champion in wrestling one day and then come out the next day and lose to the worst guy because I’m an emotional guy and I’m an emotional fighter. I wish before I fight somebody would slap my mother, insult my family, say something about my kids, something to make me mad. When I come out there and I’m cool and casual and it’s like a sparring session I know I’m in trouble but coming and fighting on a show like this against a young star like Eric Kelly, it’s motivating and I need that.

For more news and rumors follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter

Joseph Valtellini talks Glory 23, Holzken vs Daniels, and his health

Hear from former Glory champion Joseph Valtellini in this exclusive Bloody Elbow interview as he breaks down Holzken vs. Daniels, plus gives an update on his health. On Friday night's Glory 23 card, read news >>

Fedor Emelianenko: UFC doesn't want a Russian Champion

Legendary mixed martial artist Fedor Emelianenko talks about how and with what team he will prepare for his comeback, his latest negotiations with the UFC, on Khabib Nurmagomedov's brawl with the... read news >>

Jose Aldo says, withdrawing from his fight against Conor McGregor at UFC 189 was 'the right decision'

The UFC featherweight champion talks his withdrawal from the biggest fight of his life. It was the fight that everybody wanted to see. A fight that could have made both fighters several millions of d read news >>

Frankie Edgar Picks Aldo to Beat McGregor, Talks Future in 145-Pound Division

It's tough to dislike Frankie "The Answer" Edgar. The former UFC lightweight champion and current top featherweight speaks openly and honestly, rarely (if ever) resorting to hyperbole or smack talk t read news >>

Morning Report: Conor McGregor talks TUF with Urijah Faber, lessons learned from Chad Mendes and dates with Jose Aldo

Conor McGregor's had a busy summer. On July 11 he become the interim UFC featherweight champion and went straight into filming the next season of The Ultimate Fighter just days later. McGregor will c read news >>

Demian Maia talks potential bouts with Gunnar Nelson and champion Robbie Lawler

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Demian Maia dominated and finished Neil Magny at UFC 190, and still has title aspirations. At 37 years old, the jiu-jitsu ace told the media in Brazil why he feels he’s at his prime read news >>

Nova Uniao coach talks Renan Barao at 145, champion Jose Aldo's December return

Will Barao move up to featherweight after his UFC on FOX 16 title loss? Can Aldo compete before the end of the year? Those questions answered, and more, by Nova Uniao head coach Andre Pederneiras ... read news >>

Ronda Rousey Video: Miesha Tate Trilogy, Cyborg, and Rowdy Roddy Piper’s Passing

Ronda Rousey talks about her KO win over Bethe Correia, her third fight against Miesha Tate, a possible fight with Cris 'Cyborg' and the passing of Rowdy Roddy Piper. read news >>

Video: Ronda Rousey talks Beth Correia KO at UFC 190, beating up Miesha Tate again and Cris Cyborg fight

After blitzing through Bethe Correia in 34 seconds at Saturday night's (Aug., 1, 2015) UFC 190 pay-per-view (PPV) event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (video replay here), Ronda Rousey spoke to FOX Sports read news >>

Ben Saunders Talks Veteran Grit and His Blood-Soaked Victory at UFC on Fox 16

"You're down two rounds. You have to finish him." Those were the words that came blasting from Ben Saunders' corner as he floated in the moments just before the final frame of his bout against Kenny read news >>