Jeff Curran WEC 34

Jeff Curran

With his win over Billy Vaughan at XFO 39 recently, Jeff “Big Frog” Curran continues his comeback towards big time MMA.

“I feel I performed good and fought a good, clean fight,” Curran told MMAWeekly.com. “He was a last-minute replacement and I didn’t know anything about him. Now as I watch the fight, I see things I wish I would have done a little different, but I fought well.

“For starters he only landed maybe two punches and I had a few near finishes and all my kicks were effective. Plus I just had all the cage control. There was no question in my mind or judges that I won the fight.”

Curran is currently on a run that has him winning four of his last five fights, which he attributes to a return to older ways and fan support as big parts of his resurgence.

“I have changed back to my older, healthier lifestyle,” he said. “Clean food, hard work, and a clear vision of where I want to be. These are the key elements.

“I love my fans. This type of existence is a hard one if you have no support. Fans offer a level of support that makes me feel a big need to fight good and give back to them for supporting me.”

Jeff Curran and David Love

Jeff Curran and David Love

Recent reports had Curran considering retirement if he did not get a shot at the UFC. When asked whether or not this is his outlook, he responded, “This is a true statement.

“I think the final element to me being at my best is to know I am fighting at the highest level again. I can’t even find 135-pound fights that are legit outside UFC. I want to focus on my fighters and building my school rather than float around looking for the next mid-tier fight for a little pay, (that’s) just not what motivates me.”

Curran recently moved back into his old family house to help get his personal life in order, as well as spend time with his two- and four-year-old sons, and continue to grow his business ventures, including XFO and Team Curran.

“I have big plans for XFO and continuing to build its brand,” he stated. “XFO has three more pro shows scheduled for this year, (and) we are headed back to the Sears Centre on Dec. 10 for another big show.

“Team Curran has a big year as well (with) Bart (Palazsewski) in UFC, Pat (Curran, Jeff’s cousin) in Bellator, Jens (Pulver) back on TV with Titan, one of my other fighters I hope signing with Strikeforce, and a few more guys turning pro. (It’s an) exciting time around our gym.”

Following a bad string of luck and ensuing losing streak, Curran is back on track and has his sights set on returning to the top of the MMA world.

“Thanks to everyone for giving us all a platform to display our work on,” he said in closing. “Without you MMA doesn’t exist!

“Maybe I can get Comeback Fighter of the Year and Coach of the Year at the MMA awards this year.”

UFC 187 referees: John McCarthy, Herb Dean assigned championship duties

The referee and judging assignments were recently announced by Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for the upcoming UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) mixed martial arts (MMA) extravaganza, which takes p read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Urijah Faber staredown pic from UFC Fight Night 66 weigh ins

Frankie Edgar recently dropped down from the 155-pound division to try his luck at featherweight, while Urijah Faber will be abandoning the 135-pound weight class -- albeit temporarily -- to meet him read news >>

Video: Why did Michael Chiesa turn down a fight with Ross Pearson? Let him explain

Recently, UFC officials asked “TUF 15 winner” Michael Chiesa if he’d be interested in a fight with “TUF 9? winner Ross Pearson at July’s UFC Fight Night 72 event in Scotland. Here’s why Chiesa said, read news >>

Video: Watch Frankie Edgar's buzzer-beater over Cub Swanson in 2014

Sure, UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson recently set an unbreakable record for a buzzer-beating submission. But before him, Frankie Edgar’s name was in the record book.Filed under: News, UFC, read news >>

Jenna Jameson is 'obsessed' with Conor McGregor

Tito Ortiz's ex-wife Jenna Jameson recently shared her new obsession for another MMA fighter - Conor McGregor. UFC 189 featherweight title challenger Conor McGregor can add one more "celebrity" fan t read news >>

Daniel Cormier responds to Chael Sonnen's 'punk' comments: This guy paraded around with a fake UFC belt

Chael Sonnen recently declared that only a "punk" would walk around claiming to be the light heavyweight champion if they earned the belt without ever beating former division kingpin, Jon Jones. "If read news >>

Daniel Cormier on Chael Sonnen's 'punk' comment: 'Remember the source'

Chael Sonnen recently made headlines for the first time in awhile when he chimed in on the UFC light heavyweight title situation. Speaking on his podcast, Sonnen said that anyone who would accept the read news >>

Brad Pickett returns to bantamweight, meets Thomas Almeida at UFC 189

Promising prospect Thomas Almeida recently told MMAjunkie he had been dreaming of a fight in Las Vegas. Today, he got his wish.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Veteran slugger Melvin Guillard signs with Bellator

Veteran lightweight slugger Melvin Guillard, who’s recently competed for the UFC and WSOF, has signed with Bellator MMA.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, WSOF read news >>