Jay Silva Tapology

(photo courtesy of Tapology)

After starting off his career in strong fashion, winning five of six fights, former UFC middleweight Jay Silva has struggled to find his footing recently.

Losses in four of his last six bouts have him in need of turning things around. But as he points out, he’s continuing to learn lessons every time out, like he did in his last fight against Bristol Marunde in November, and has gotten better due to it.

“I took it on short notice, and I was tired,” admitted, Silva. “But for someone who (had little time to prepare) for that fight, I did pretty good.

“Some people thought I won the fight, and personally, I thought I won the fight too. He didn’t do anything, and I went five rounds with the guy, so I’m kind of happy with my performance. I wish I could have finished him, but it’s a lesson learned. I can’t take fights on short notice anymore; I need to train, and that’s pretty much it.”

Having joined a more diverse camp last year, Silva feels he’s making strides in training to match what he’s learning in the cage.

“I feel well-rounded now; a more conventional fighter with less (emphasis on) striking,” he said. “Working with Mark Munoz, Krzysztof Soszynski, and everybody down at Reign, I’m feeling pretty confident everywhere.

“I feel like I’ve improved myself a lot. I just wish I could be a better wrestler, but other than that, I feel pretty good right now.”

As he continues to work on his ground game, Silva is happy that his next bout, against Kendall Grove at SCC 4 on Thursday night at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, will be more akin to the fighting style he’s known for.

“When the SCC called me and told me that I was going to be on the fight card, the first thing I told them was to please not give me another wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy who is just going to take me to the ground and try to control me,” said Silva.

“When they told me it would be Kendall Grove, I was pretty happy about it. I’m hoping for this fight that we can stand up and bang the whole time. Wherever the fight goes I’ll be ready, and I’m sure he will be to, but I hope he stands up and tries to fight me.”

Silva told MMAWeekly.com that he feels this year will be one of building, so he can set himself up for big things in the future.

“I want to make sure by the end of 2012 I’ve got a good winning streak and by the next year I’m in the UFC,” he said.

“My record’s bad, but I feel like I’ve fought a who’s who of pretty tough guys. I’m not taking easy fights, and that’s what I like. I don’t want to fight anybody that doesn’t have a name. I want to keep fighting guys who will get my name out there like Kendall. I want to build back my record, fight smart, listen to my coaches and training partners, and get back on top.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Boxing champ Amir Khan now co-owns MMA promotion, considers fighting in a cage some day.

"King" Khan has big plans with MMA promotion Super Fight League, won't rule out fighting in the cage one day. read news >>

UFC boss nixes AT&T Stadium visit, says Rousey's next fight likely for Las Vegas

Any potential plans of a grand UFC event at Dallas’ AT&T Stadium will have to wait until next year, as UFC President Dana White today revealed to UFC.com that “the UFC won’t be in Texas in December.” read news >>

UFC will want to give Glover Teixeira another title shot after winning performance against Ovince Saint Preux tonight

"G-Tex" sees a second shot at gold in his near future if he is able to thwart the offensive attack of "OSP" tonight in Nashville ... Fighters ache, break bones and pull out of fights all the time. In read news >>

ONE Championship VP Rich Franklin still planning return to UFC

The vice president of Singapore-based MMA promotion ONE Championship still plans to close out his career in the UFC octagon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Glover Teixeira Plans to Ground and Pound Ovince Saint Preux

A light heavyweight bout with possible title implications headlines this weekend’s UFC Fight Night 73 with fourth-ranked Glover Teixeira taking on sixth-ranked Ovince Saint Preux. read news >>

Jose Aldo UFC 190 media scrum

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Jose Aldo discusses returning to training following a rib injury, fighting Conor McGregor at the Dallas Cowboys stadium, why he thinks T.J. Dillashaw shouldn’t call him out, his rel read news >>

GLORY 23's Nieky Holzken plans to knockout everybody, become first-ever kickboxing 'rockstar' in U.S.

Dreams really do come true. Just ask No. 1-ranked GLORY Welterweight Nieky Holzken. We did. Fighting in Las Vegas, Nevada, is something Netherlands native Nieky Holzken has always dreamed about. He h read news >>

Roger Huerta vs. Koji Ando Confirmed for ONE: Dynasty of Champions in Shanghai

UFC veteran Roger Huerta will be returning to action at ONE: Dynasty of Champions on Sept. 1, when he faces Japanese lightweight Koji Ando in Shanghai. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Blueprint for Perfection

Ronda Rousey has big plans. After dismantling Brazilian challenger Bethe Correia at UFC 190 via a 34-second one-punch, face-plant knockout, the UFC women's bantamweight champion has her eyes set on p read news >>

UFC 190: Rousey to dedicate her performance to late 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper

On Saturday night, UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey plans to dedicate her main event fight with Bethe Correia to the pro wrestling legend who is the inspiration for her 'Rowdy' nickname read news >>