Jay Silva Tapology

(photo courtesy of Tapology)

After starting off his career in strong fashion, winning five of six fights, former UFC middleweight Jay Silva has struggled to find his footing recently.

Losses in four of his last six bouts have him in need of turning things around. But as he points out, he’s continuing to learn lessons every time out, like he did in his last fight against Bristol Marunde in November, and has gotten better due to it.

“I took it on short notice, and I was tired,” admitted, Silva. “But for someone who (had little time to prepare) for that fight, I did pretty good.

“Some people thought I won the fight, and personally, I thought I won the fight too. He didn’t do anything, and I went five rounds with the guy, so I’m kind of happy with my performance. I wish I could have finished him, but it’s a lesson learned. I can’t take fights on short notice anymore; I need to train, and that’s pretty much it.”

Having joined a more diverse camp last year, Silva feels he’s making strides in training to match what he’s learning in the cage.

“I feel well-rounded now; a more conventional fighter with less (emphasis on) striking,” he said. “Working with Mark Munoz, Krzysztof Soszynski, and everybody down at Reign, I’m feeling pretty confident everywhere.

“I feel like I’ve improved myself a lot. I just wish I could be a better wrestler, but other than that, I feel pretty good right now.”

As he continues to work on his ground game, Silva is happy that his next bout, against Kendall Grove at SCC 4 on Thursday night at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, will be more akin to the fighting style he’s known for.

“When the SCC called me and told me that I was going to be on the fight card, the first thing I told them was to please not give me another wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy who is just going to take me to the ground and try to control me,” said Silva.

“When they told me it would be Kendall Grove, I was pretty happy about it. I’m hoping for this fight that we can stand up and bang the whole time. Wherever the fight goes I’ll be ready, and I’m sure he will be to, but I hope he stands up and tries to fight me.”

Silva told MMAWeekly.com that he feels this year will be one of building, so he can set himself up for big things in the future.

“I want to make sure by the end of 2012 I’ve got a good winning streak and by the next year I’m in the UFC,” he said.

“My record’s bad, but I feel like I’ve fought a who’s who of pretty tough guys. I’m not taking easy fights, and that’s what I like. I don’t want to fight anybody that doesn’t have a name. I want to keep fighting guys who will get my name out there like Kendall. I want to build back my record, fight smart, listen to my coaches and training partners, and get back on top.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Cody Garbrandt Plans to KO Thomas Almeida, Cuts Ties with TJ Dillashaw (Video)

Cody Garbrandt explains why he'll beat Thomas Almeida and stay undefeated when the two meet in the UFC Fight Night 88 main event on May 29 in Las Vegas. read news >>

Quick Hit Video: Jon Jones Immediately Returns to the Gym Following Jail Stint

After three days in jail, it appears former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones had some pent up aggression to release. read news >>

UFC 198's Antonio Rogerio Nogueira had no plans to retire alongside brother

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira is the last man standing in the UFC from his family after twin brother Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira retired in September. But “Little Nog” insists he’s got a lot left in the tank read news >>

Viacheslav Datsik Is the Most Dangerous Fighter Alive, and He's Returning to MMA

When it comes to Viacheslav Datsik, it can be hard to separate fact from fiction. But there's one thing that's plentifully clear. When tass.ru (h/t Bloody Elbow) reported that Datsik was set for rele read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 pre-fight facts: Ben Rothwell out to extend stoppage streak

Croatia finally sees its first UFC event on Sunday when the octagon touches down in Zagreb for UFC Fight Night 86. Check out all the pre-fight facts.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey Plans 'World Domination' as Lyoto Machida Issues Cyborg Warning

Ronda Rousey is planning a return to the UFC and is aiming to reassert the dominance she enjoyed before her November defeat to Holly Holm, according to her nutrition coach, Mike Dolce. Before the bru read news >>

Derrick Lewis plans to stop Gabriel Gonzaga in first, stop Roy Nelson in July

ZAGREB, Croatia – Heavyweight Derrick Lewis has a simple plan for his UFC Fight Night 86 appearance: knock Gabriel Gonzaga out in the first round and book a fight with Roy Nelson.Filed under: Feature read news >>

UFC plans return to Germany in fall, eyes UK event by year's end

ZAGREB, Croatia – As the UFC conducts the second of three European fight cards over a 10-week span, the promotion is already making plans for a few more events in the region, as well. James Elliott, read news >>

GFL Video: Watch Gabriel Gonzaga punch ticket back to UFC with 2011 win

Gabriel Gonzaga’s second UFC stint has been a mixed bag. After a stretch of four wins in five bouts, Gonzaga slid back to Earth with a three-fight losing skid.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, read news >>

Rose Namajunas Sees Title Shot on Horizon if She Beats Tecia Torres (Video)

In this exclusive interview, Rose Namajunas says she believes a title shot is in the offing for the winner of her UFC on FOX 19 bout with Tecia Torres. read news >>