Jay Silva Tapology

(photo courtesy of Tapology)

After starting off his career in strong fashion, winning five of six fights, former UFC middleweight Jay Silva has struggled to find his footing recently.

Losses in four of his last six bouts have him in need of turning things around. But as he points out, he’s continuing to learn lessons every time out, like he did in his last fight against Bristol Marunde in November, and has gotten better due to it.

“I took it on short notice, and I was tired,” admitted, Silva. “But for someone who (had little time to prepare) for that fight, I did pretty good.

“Some people thought I won the fight, and personally, I thought I won the fight too. He didn’t do anything, and I went five rounds with the guy, so I’m kind of happy with my performance. I wish I could have finished him, but it’s a lesson learned. I can’t take fights on short notice anymore; I need to train, and that’s pretty much it.”

Having joined a more diverse camp last year, Silva feels he’s making strides in training to match what he’s learning in the cage.

“I feel well-rounded now; a more conventional fighter with less (emphasis on) striking,” he said. “Working with Mark Munoz, Krzysztof Soszynski, and everybody down at Reign, I’m feeling pretty confident everywhere.

“I feel like I’ve improved myself a lot. I just wish I could be a better wrestler, but other than that, I feel pretty good right now.”

As he continues to work on his ground game, Silva is happy that his next bout, against Kendall Grove at SCC 4 on Thursday night at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, will be more akin to the fighting style he’s known for.

“When the SCC called me and told me that I was going to be on the fight card, the first thing I told them was to please not give me another wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy who is just going to take me to the ground and try to control me,” said Silva.

“When they told me it would be Kendall Grove, I was pretty happy about it. I’m hoping for this fight that we can stand up and bang the whole time. Wherever the fight goes I’ll be ready, and I’m sure he will be to, but I hope he stands up and tries to fight me.”

Silva told MMAWeekly.com that he feels this year will be one of building, so he can set himself up for big things in the future.

“I want to make sure by the end of 2012 I’ve got a good winning streak and by the next year I’m in the UFC,” he said.

“My record’s bad, but I feel like I’ve fought a who’s who of pretty tough guys. I’m not taking easy fights, and that’s what I like. I don’t want to fight anybody that doesn’t have a name. I want to keep fighting guys who will get my name out there like Kendall. I want to build back my record, fight smart, listen to my coaches and training partners, and get back on top.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

Buckle Up, UFC Fans: The Next Few Months Will Be a Wild (or Wearisome?) Ride

Got plans for Saturday night, UFC fans? No? You better make some. After this weekend, you aren’t going to have much free time until—oh—October or so. There may not be a UFC event scheduled for Saturd read news >>

UFC 190's Bethe Correia plans to prove Ronda Rousey is 'not all that people think she is'

During an appearance on a Brazilian TV show, female bantamweight title challenger Bethe Correia confessed that she is not too impressed with Ronda's game. Color Bethe Correia unimpressed. Even though read news >>

Anderson Silva plans to fight again in 2016: Coming back next year was my plan anyway

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva revealed that he is interested in fighting out the remainder of his contract. Former UFC kingpin Anderson Silva may have shocked the MMA community with read news >>

Anderson Silva Plans to be Back Next Year and Fight for Five More Years

Following positive drug tests at UFC 183, former middleweight champion Anderson Silva plans to be back in 2016 and expects to compete for another five years. read news >>

Cormier plans to 'mow through' Bader then call out Jones for the rematch

UFC light heavyweight contender, Daniel Cormier still has a score to settle with champion, Jon Jones. January 3, 2015 is a date that has likely left an indelible mark in Daniel Cormier's mind. It mar read news >>

Ronda Rousey Has No Plans for More WWE Appearances in Near Future

Following an appearance at WrestleMania last weekend, UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has no plans for future appearances on the WWE stage. read news >>

Ryan Bader Plans to Knock Out Daniel Cormier on His Home Turf, Force Title Shot

Ryan Bader plans to make a statement at UFC Fight Night 68 in June by knocking out Daniel Cormier on his way to earning a title shot. read news >>

Chris Weidman and Jon Jones Plan on Making Their Superfight a Reality

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman sees a superfight with pound-for-pound king Jon "Bones" Jones in his future. During a feature on AXS TV's Inside MMA, Weidman chatted about the possibility of read news >>

Cub Swanson Plans to Bring 'Beautiful Destruction' to UFC on Fox 15

Cub Swanson has a different mentality when it comes to the fight game. He knows a complex understanding of both the physical and mental realms is required, and the process of putting those elements i read news >>