Jay Silva Tapology

(photo courtesy of Tapology)

After starting off his career in strong fashion, winning five of six fights, former UFC middleweight Jay Silva has struggled to find his footing recently.

Losses in four of his last six bouts have him in need of turning things around. But as he points out, he’s continuing to learn lessons every time out, like he did in his last fight against Bristol Marunde in November, and has gotten better due to it.

“I took it on short notice, and I was tired,” admitted, Silva. “But for someone who (had little time to prepare) for that fight, I did pretty good.

“Some people thought I won the fight, and personally, I thought I won the fight too. He didn’t do anything, and I went five rounds with the guy, so I’m kind of happy with my performance. I wish I could have finished him, but it’s a lesson learned. I can’t take fights on short notice anymore; I need to train, and that’s pretty much it.”

Having joined a more diverse camp last year, Silva feels he’s making strides in training to match what he’s learning in the cage.

“I feel well-rounded now; a more conventional fighter with less (emphasis on) striking,” he said. “Working with Mark Munoz, Krzysztof Soszynski, and everybody down at Reign, I’m feeling pretty confident everywhere.

“I feel like I’ve improved myself a lot. I just wish I could be a better wrestler, but other than that, I feel pretty good right now.”

As he continues to work on his ground game, Silva is happy that his next bout, against Kendall Grove at SCC 4 on Thursday night at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, will be more akin to the fighting style he’s known for.

“When the SCC called me and told me that I was going to be on the fight card, the first thing I told them was to please not give me another wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy who is just going to take me to the ground and try to control me,” said Silva.

“When they told me it would be Kendall Grove, I was pretty happy about it. I’m hoping for this fight that we can stand up and bang the whole time. Wherever the fight goes I’ll be ready, and I’m sure he will be to, but I hope he stands up and tries to fight me.”

Silva told MMAWeekly.com that he feels this year will be one of building, so he can set himself up for big things in the future.

“I want to make sure by the end of 2012 I’ve got a good winning streak and by the next year I’m in the UFC,” he said.

“My record’s bad, but I feel like I’ve fought a who’s who of pretty tough guys. I’m not taking easy fights, and that’s what I like. I don’t want to fight anybody that doesn’t have a name. I want to keep fighting guys who will get my name out there like Kendall. I want to build back my record, fight smart, listen to my coaches and training partners, and get back on top.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

How to watch UFC 187 live in movie theaters

Let's all go to the lobby... Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is returning to the big screen for its upcoming UFC 187: "Johnson vs. Cormier" mixed martial arts (MMA) pay-per-view (PPV) event, whi read news >>

Deontay Wilder: Wladimir Klitschko 'looked old' in last fight

WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder discusses his future plans, Wladimir Klitschko's recent performance, Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao, and more. read news >>

Fan Perspective: Should Jon Jones be granted an immediate title shot upon returning?

Almost everything about Jon Jones’ future is up in the air. But once everything is sorted out and the former champion is ready to return to action, should he be presented with an immediate opportunit read news >>

Diego Sanchez plans featherweight move, eyes Guida, Lamas, McGregor and UFC history

With a broken collarbone mended, Diego Sanchez is itching to return to the cage, and if things go according to plan, he’ll be doing it in the featherweight division.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Thomas Almeida's Chute Boxe coach says 'there's no hurry' to develop their prospect

Diego Lima, Thomas Almeida's coach at the legendary Chute Boxe gym sees no need to rush their athlete to the top of the division, but says they will train even harder now that Almeida is getting noti read news >>

Jon Dodson brands himself -- not Demetrious Johnson -- the savior of UFC flyweight division

And he plans on rescuing it just like Urijah Faber did with the bantamweight division a long time ago. Demetrious Johnson defended his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) flyweight title for the six read news >>

Josh Barnett in a New Movie, Plans to Return to UFC in Late 2015

Josh Barnett, the popular and controversial UFC heavyweight, has taken another job in Hollywood, which will supersede his job as a fighter for the immediate future. The news came out Tuesday night on read news >>

Dos Anjos interested in Khabib rematch, warns McGregor to stay at featherweight

UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos revealed his upcoming plans as thr division’s titleholder. read news >>

Ciara Irvine Starts New Conquest at SFL 40

Muay Thai fighter Ciara Irvine has big plans for her transition to MMA. Her conquest begins at SFL 40 on Saturday night in Tacoma, Wash. read news >>