Jay Silva Tapology

(photo courtesy of Tapology)

After starting off his career in strong fashion, winning five of six fights, former UFC middleweight Jay Silva has struggled to find his footing recently.

Losses in four of his last six bouts have him in need of turning things around. But as he points out, he’s continuing to learn lessons every time out, like he did in his last fight against Bristol Marunde in November, and has gotten better due to it.

“I took it on short notice, and I was tired,” admitted, Silva. “But for someone who (had little time to prepare) for that fight, I did pretty good.

“Some people thought I won the fight, and personally, I thought I won the fight too. He didn’t do anything, and I went five rounds with the guy, so I’m kind of happy with my performance. I wish I could have finished him, but it’s a lesson learned. I can’t take fights on short notice anymore; I need to train, and that’s pretty much it.”

Having joined a more diverse camp last year, Silva feels he’s making strides in training to match what he’s learning in the cage.

“I feel well-rounded now; a more conventional fighter with less (emphasis on) striking,” he said. “Working with Mark Munoz, Krzysztof Soszynski, and everybody down at Reign, I’m feeling pretty confident everywhere.

“I feel like I’ve improved myself a lot. I just wish I could be a better wrestler, but other than that, I feel pretty good right now.”

As he continues to work on his ground game, Silva is happy that his next bout, against Kendall Grove at SCC 4 on Thursday night at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, will be more akin to the fighting style he’s known for.

“When the SCC called me and told me that I was going to be on the fight card, the first thing I told them was to please not give me another wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy who is just going to take me to the ground and try to control me,” said Silva.

“When they told me it would be Kendall Grove, I was pretty happy about it. I’m hoping for this fight that we can stand up and bang the whole time. Wherever the fight goes I’ll be ready, and I’m sure he will be to, but I hope he stands up and tries to fight me.”

Silva told MMAWeekly.com that he feels this year will be one of building, so he can set himself up for big things in the future.

“I want to make sure by the end of 2012 I’ve got a good winning streak and by the next year I’m in the UFC,” he said.

“My record’s bad, but I feel like I’ve fought a who’s who of pretty tough guys. I’m not taking easy fights, and that’s what I like. I don’t want to fight anybody that doesn’t have a name. I want to keep fighting guys who will get my name out there like Kendall. I want to build back my record, fight smart, listen to my coaches and training partners, and get back on top.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Dana White has ‘nothing to tell you’ about Fedor: ‘I don’t know what their plans are’

UFC President Dana White offered some insight into the potential negotiations between the UFC and Fedor Emelianenko. UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey may be the featured attraction at t read news >>

Bellator champ Liam McGeary star-struck by Tito Ortiz but plans to make name off him

Liam McGeary was 16 when Tito Ortiz won his first UFC title in 2000. As they ready for a title fight in Saturday’s Bellator 142 main event, McGeary admitted he’s been a bit star-struck by the challen read news >>

'Different' Emanuel Newton plans to reclaim Light Heavyweight gold, starting with Phil Davis at 'Dynamite 1'

Former Light Heavyweight champion Emanuel Newton was consistently underestimated by his opponents at their own peril. And he undoubtedly hopes Phil Davis makes the same mistake this weekend. Everyone read news >>

Manager: Josh Barnett has no future plans to compete at Metamoris

Not only is Josh Barnett not currently scheduled to compete against Chael Sonnen at an upcoming Metamoris submission grappling event, don't expect him to compete for the promotion anytime soon. "Josh read news >>

UFC returns to London in 2016 with Feb. 27 event

The UFC is returning to London in early 2016, officials today announced.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Nick Diaz's team plans further legal action after 'kangaroo court' suspension

LAS VEGAS – Nick Diaz’s attorney blasted a five-year suspension handed down by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and said legal action against the regulatory body is forthcoming.Filed under: Featu read news >>

Bagautinov plans to fight for 3-4 more years before transitioning to political career

UFC flyweight Ali Bagautinov plans to fight for three or four more years before transitioning to a career in politics. Fresh of a yearlong suspension for performance enhancing substances, Ali Bagauti read news >>

Ronda Rousey: Retirement Looms, but ‘I’m Not Done Making History Yet’ (Video)

Ronda Rousey makes no secret that she plans an early retirement from MMA, but she also doesn't plan on walking away before she shatters a few more records. read news >>

Kimbo Slice returning for Bellator 142: 'Dynamite 1' fan festivities

The popular street brawler turned MMA fighter, fresh off his win over Ken Shamrock in St. Louis, will be taking part in the Bellator 142: 'Dynamite 1' festivities in San Jose. Bellator MMA is offerin read news >>

Cummins plans to call out champ Cormier with win against Teixeira

UFC light-heavyweight Patrick Cummins plans to call out UFC champ Daniel Cormier for a rematch if he beats Glover Teixeira. read news >>