Jay Silva Tapology

(photo courtesy of Tapology)

After starting off his career in strong fashion, winning five of six fights, former UFC middleweight Jay Silva has struggled to find his footing recently.

Losses in four of his last six bouts have him in need of turning things around. But as he points out, he’s continuing to learn lessons every time out, like he did in his last fight against Bristol Marunde in November, and has gotten better due to it.

“I took it on short notice, and I was tired,” admitted, Silva. “But for someone who (had little time to prepare) for that fight, I did pretty good.

“Some people thought I won the fight, and personally, I thought I won the fight too. He didn’t do anything, and I went five rounds with the guy, so I’m kind of happy with my performance. I wish I could have finished him, but it’s a lesson learned. I can’t take fights on short notice anymore; I need to train, and that’s pretty much it.”

Having joined a more diverse camp last year, Silva feels he’s making strides in training to match what he’s learning in the cage.

“I feel well-rounded now; a more conventional fighter with less (emphasis on) striking,” he said. “Working with Mark Munoz, Krzysztof Soszynski, and everybody down at Reign, I’m feeling pretty confident everywhere.

“I feel like I’ve improved myself a lot. I just wish I could be a better wrestler, but other than that, I feel pretty good right now.”

As he continues to work on his ground game, Silva is happy that his next bout, against Kendall Grove at SCC 4 on Thursday night at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, will be more akin to the fighting style he’s known for.

“When the SCC called me and told me that I was going to be on the fight card, the first thing I told them was to please not give me another wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy who is just going to take me to the ground and try to control me,” said Silva.

“When they told me it would be Kendall Grove, I was pretty happy about it. I’m hoping for this fight that we can stand up and bang the whole time. Wherever the fight goes I’ll be ready, and I’m sure he will be to, but I hope he stands up and tries to fight me.”

Silva told MMAWeekly.com that he feels this year will be one of building, so he can set himself up for big things in the future.

“I want to make sure by the end of 2012 I’ve got a good winning streak and by the next year I’m in the UFC,” he said.

“My record’s bad, but I feel like I’ve fought a who’s who of pretty tough guys. I’m not taking easy fights, and that’s what I like. I don’t want to fight anybody that doesn’t have a name. I want to keep fighting guys who will get my name out there like Kendall. I want to build back my record, fight smart, listen to my coaches and training partners, and get back on top.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

Invicta FC 13, with 'Cyborg' headlining, will piggyback with UFC 189 on July 10 in Las Vegas

Invicta FC plans to tag along again on another major UFC fight weekend.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey will shoot movie before taking next UFC bout

UFC president Dana White has freed Ronda Rousey to shoot a movie before returning to the Octagon sometime later this year. Looks like it may be a good thing that there are no really compelling challe read news >>

White hasn't spoken to ex-champ Georges St-Pierre after new drug-testing plans

When longtime UFC champion Georges St-Pierre decided to take a break from MMA, he cited a performance-enhancing drug problem and the UFC’s inadequate drug testing as two of his primary reasons.Filed read news >>

Brandon Halsey to defend middleweight title against Kendall Grove at Bellator 137

Another Bellator main event is set. Brandon Halsey will defend his middleweight title against UFC veteran Kendall Grove in the headliner of Bellator 137 on May 15 at Pechanga Resort and Casino in Tem read news >>

Benjamin Smith Shooting for RFA Welterweight Title En Route to UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Benjamin Smith has plans to be fighting for the UFC in 2015, but he first wants to capture the RFA welterweight championship on Friday night. read news >>

Morning Report: The next B.J. Penn, Anthony Pettis plans on being UFC's 'pay-per-view king'

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis has only defended his title once since taking it off Benson Henderson at UFC 164 in 2013, but he's already planning out his legacy in the division. "Me getting read news >>

UFC Fight Night 64 broadcast lineup set in Poland, Calderwood vs. Moroz kicks off main card

The broadcast plans for next month’s 12-bout UFC Fight Night 64 event are now set, and a women’s strawweight bout between Joanne Calderwood and Maryna Moroz kicks off the night’s four-fight main card read news >>

Mark Munoz vs. Luke Barnatt set for UFC: Manila

Mark Munoz will be returning to cage for a fight in the Philippines. His opponent will be Luke Barnatt. Less than two weeks after his UFC 184 bout, and Mark Munoz already has another fight booked. As read news >>

Brock Lesnar Plans to Unify UFC and WWE Titles? (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Is it all just a mirage or will WWE heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar unify the WWE and UFC belts? read news >>