Jay Silva Tapology

(photo courtesy of Tapology)

After starting off his career in strong fashion, winning five of six fights, former UFC middleweight Jay Silva has struggled to find his footing recently.

Losses in four of his last six bouts have him in need of turning things around. But as he points out, he’s continuing to learn lessons every time out, like he did in his last fight against Bristol Marunde in November, and has gotten better due to it.

“I took it on short notice, and I was tired,” admitted, Silva. “But for someone who (had little time to prepare) for that fight, I did pretty good.

“Some people thought I won the fight, and personally, I thought I won the fight too. He didn’t do anything, and I went five rounds with the guy, so I’m kind of happy with my performance. I wish I could have finished him, but it’s a lesson learned. I can’t take fights on short notice anymore; I need to train, and that’s pretty much it.”

Having joined a more diverse camp last year, Silva feels he’s making strides in training to match what he’s learning in the cage.

“I feel well-rounded now; a more conventional fighter with less (emphasis on) striking,” he said. “Working with Mark Munoz, Krzysztof Soszynski, and everybody down at Reign, I’m feeling pretty confident everywhere.

“I feel like I’ve improved myself a lot. I just wish I could be a better wrestler, but other than that, I feel pretty good right now.”

As he continues to work on his ground game, Silva is happy that his next bout, against Kendall Grove at SCC 4 on Thursday night at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, will be more akin to the fighting style he’s known for.

“When the SCC called me and told me that I was going to be on the fight card, the first thing I told them was to please not give me another wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy who is just going to take me to the ground and try to control me,” said Silva.

“When they told me it would be Kendall Grove, I was pretty happy about it. I’m hoping for this fight that we can stand up and bang the whole time. Wherever the fight goes I’ll be ready, and I’m sure he will be to, but I hope he stands up and tries to fight me.”

Silva told MMAWeekly.com that he feels this year will be one of building, so he can set himself up for big things in the future.

“I want to make sure by the end of 2012 I’ve got a good winning streak and by the next year I’m in the UFC,” he said.

“My record’s bad, but I feel like I’ve fought a who’s who of pretty tough guys. I’m not taking easy fights, and that’s what I like. I don’t want to fight anybody that doesn’t have a name. I want to keep fighting guys who will get my name out there like Kendall. I want to build back my record, fight smart, listen to my coaches and training partners, and get back on top.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Why other judo standouts have no plans to follow UFC champ Ronda Rousey's path

TORONTO — Thanks to UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, the most common question an outstanding female judo athlete is likely to receive these days has nothing to do with judo at all.File read news >>

Cris Cyborg plans to retire in three years: ‘I want to get married and have babies’

Invicta bantamweight champion Cris ‘Cyborg’ Justino discusses her 45 second win, Ronda Rousey, and how long she has left in MMA. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov interested in November return to the Octagon

UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov plans to return to the Octagon in the fall. After spending well over a year on the sidelines nursing a knee injury, Khabib Nurmagomedov is aiming for a fall return read news >>

Robbie Lawler's UFC 189 plans? 'Get in Rory’s face and get a knockout'

LAS VEGAS – “Business as usual.” That’s how UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler repeatedly referred to his approach to his UFC 189 rematch with Rory MacDonald when speaking with media at Wednesda read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 12

Join us here tonight for live coverage of episode 12 of The Ultimate Fighter as the latest season sees its conclusion. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. J read news >>

Robbie Lawler Plans to Knock Rory MacDonald Out (UFC 189 Video)

Robbie Lawler spoke to the media at Wednesday's UFC 189 open workouts in Las Vegas, and said that he plans to keep the pressure on Rory MacDonald and end the fight with a knockout. read news >>

UFC 189 'Embedded' video blog (Ep. 6): Chad 'Deer Hunter' Mendes plans to mount Conor McGregor's bust in trophy room

Chad Mendes has come to his senses in the latest episode of UFC 189 "Embedded," trading dangerous fireworks for an organic chicken coop. "Money" is actually an experienced hunter who eats what he kil read news >>

Jessica Aguilar plans to expose weaknesses in Joanna Jedrzejczyk’s ‘one-dimensional’ game

Former WSOF champ is not overly impressed with UFC champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk’s ‘one-dimensional’ skill set. Although Jessica Aguilar will have her hands full with a substantial obstacle in the form of read news >>

Charles Oliveira plans to take advantage of Holloway's 'not so sharp' Jiu-Jitsu

Charles Oliveira believes he is better than Max Holloway and on the ground and will look to pressure him into fighting his fight at UFC Fight Night 74. After 13 UFC fights, Charles Oliveira will fina read news >>

UFC 189 Embedded, Part 4 - McGregor's swordplay, Mendes holding his breath

Episode four of the UFC 189 Embedded series sees Chad Mendes studying some tape and working on his endurance, while Conor McGregor plays with some swords. UFC 189 Embedded is back with the fourth epi read news >>