Jay Silva Tapology

(photo courtesy of Tapology)

After starting off his career in strong fashion, winning five of six fights, former UFC middleweight Jay Silva has struggled to find his footing recently.

Losses in four of his last six bouts have him in need of turning things around. But as he points out, he’s continuing to learn lessons every time out, like he did in his last fight against Bristol Marunde in November, and has gotten better due to it.

“I took it on short notice, and I was tired,” admitted, Silva. “But for someone who (had little time to prepare) for that fight, I did pretty good.

“Some people thought I won the fight, and personally, I thought I won the fight too. He didn’t do anything, and I went five rounds with the guy, so I’m kind of happy with my performance. I wish I could have finished him, but it’s a lesson learned. I can’t take fights on short notice anymore; I need to train, and that’s pretty much it.”

Having joined a more diverse camp last year, Silva feels he’s making strides in training to match what he’s learning in the cage.

“I feel well-rounded now; a more conventional fighter with less (emphasis on) striking,” he said. “Working with Mark Munoz, Krzysztof Soszynski, and everybody down at Reign, I’m feeling pretty confident everywhere.

“I feel like I’ve improved myself a lot. I just wish I could be a better wrestler, but other than that, I feel pretty good right now.”

As he continues to work on his ground game, Silva is happy that his next bout, against Kendall Grove at SCC 4 on Thursday night at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, will be more akin to the fighting style he’s known for.

“When the SCC called me and told me that I was going to be on the fight card, the first thing I told them was to please not give me another wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy who is just going to take me to the ground and try to control me,” said Silva.

“When they told me it would be Kendall Grove, I was pretty happy about it. I’m hoping for this fight that we can stand up and bang the whole time. Wherever the fight goes I’ll be ready, and I’m sure he will be to, but I hope he stands up and tries to fight me.”

Silva told MMAWeekly.com that he feels this year will be one of building, so he can set himself up for big things in the future.

“I want to make sure by the end of 2012 I’ve got a good winning streak and by the next year I’m in the UFC,” he said.

“My record’s bad, but I feel like I’ve fought a who’s who of pretty tough guys. I’m not taking easy fights, and that’s what I like. I don’t want to fight anybody that doesn’t have a name. I want to keep fighting guys who will get my name out there like Kendall. I want to build back my record, fight smart, listen to my coaches and training partners, and get back on top.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Chatri Sityodtong Wants ONE Championship to Lead Asian MMA into a New Era | MMAWeekly.com

ONE Championship founder Chatri Sityodtong sees a future where his fight promotion leads Asian MMA into a robust future. read news >>

Jose Aldo Asks for UFC Release, Threatens to Retire | MMAWeekly.com

After what he sees as the latest broken promise, Jose Aldo says he is done with the UFC. He wants to be released. read news >>

On the Rise: Portland Edition

The UFC machine just keeps on trucking along, with the Octagon returning to a place with an outstanding food scene, incredible outdoors to explore and one of the best backcourt combinations in the NB read news >>

Dan Henderson Reveals His One Regret | MMAWeekly.com

Mixed martial arts pioneer and legend Dan Henderson plans to hang up his gloves after his rematch with Michael Bisping at UFC 204 on October 8. read news >>

Dan Henderson Recounts the Highlight of His MMA Career | MMAWeekly.com

Heading into what he plans to be his final fight, Dan Henderson recounted what he considers to the be the highlight of his MMA career. read news >>

Luiz Firmino plans on WSOF title shot with victory over Brian Foster

Despite three straight wins over WSOF notables, Luiz Firmino was passed over for a shot at the promotion’s lightweight belt. He doesn’t plan on allowing that to happen again.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

UFC 204's Dan Henderson expects promotion to quickly put up title if he beats Michael Bisping

The way Henderson sees things, the promotion should make quick title plans if he again starches champ Bisping and retires from the sport. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 97 to be rescheduled following injury to B.J. Penn

The UFC will not be returning to the Philippines this month.According to a report from FloCombat, the UFC willre-scheduleUFC Fight Night 97, which was expected to go down on October 15 at the Mall of read news >>

UFC vet Gerald Harris ends retirement, fights Aaron Cobb in Legacy FC 63 headliner

Gerald Harris is returning from a three-year layoff – and he’s doing it in a hometown headliner.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Rafael Carvalho vs. Melvin Manhoef Championship Rematch Headlines Bellator 168 | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator is returning to Italy with an MMA main event that will feature Rafael Carvalho and Melvin Manhoef in a championship rematch. read news >>