Jay Silva Tapology

(photo courtesy of Tapology)

After starting off his career in strong fashion, winning five of six fights, former UFC middleweight Jay Silva has struggled to find his footing recently.

Losses in four of his last six bouts have him in need of turning things around. But as he points out, he’s continuing to learn lessons every time out, like he did in his last fight against Bristol Marunde in November, and has gotten better due to it.

“I took it on short notice, and I was tired,” admitted, Silva. “But for someone who (had little time to prepare) for that fight, I did pretty good.

“Some people thought I won the fight, and personally, I thought I won the fight too. He didn’t do anything, and I went five rounds with the guy, so I’m kind of happy with my performance. I wish I could have finished him, but it’s a lesson learned. I can’t take fights on short notice anymore; I need to train, and that’s pretty much it.”

Having joined a more diverse camp last year, Silva feels he’s making strides in training to match what he’s learning in the cage.

“I feel well-rounded now; a more conventional fighter with less (emphasis on) striking,” he said. “Working with Mark Munoz, Krzysztof Soszynski, and everybody down at Reign, I’m feeling pretty confident everywhere.

“I feel like I’ve improved myself a lot. I just wish I could be a better wrestler, but other than that, I feel pretty good right now.”

As he continues to work on his ground game, Silva is happy that his next bout, against Kendall Grove at SCC 4 on Thursday night at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, will be more akin to the fighting style he’s known for.

“When the SCC called me and told me that I was going to be on the fight card, the first thing I told them was to please not give me another wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy who is just going to take me to the ground and try to control me,” said Silva.

“When they told me it would be Kendall Grove, I was pretty happy about it. I’m hoping for this fight that we can stand up and bang the whole time. Wherever the fight goes I’ll be ready, and I’m sure he will be to, but I hope he stands up and tries to fight me.”

Silva told MMAWeekly.com that he feels this year will be one of building, so he can set himself up for big things in the future.

“I want to make sure by the end of 2012 I’ve got a good winning streak and by the next year I’m in the UFC,” he said.

“My record’s bad, but I feel like I’ve fought a who’s who of pretty tough guys. I’m not taking easy fights, and that’s what I like. I don’t want to fight anybody that doesn’t have a name. I want to keep fighting guys who will get my name out there like Kendall. I want to build back my record, fight smart, listen to my coaches and training partners, and get back on top.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Ahead of Legacy FC 48 title fight, champ Leonardo Leite sees bigger things on horizon

He’s just six fights into his MMA career, but Leonardo Leite already has gold around his waist – two belts, actually – and even bigger ambitions down the road. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk looking to make statement at UFC 193 (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: The strawweight champion plans to put on a show and capitalize on the immense exposure from top draw Ronda Rousey. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk looking to make statement at UFC 193 (Yahoo Sports)

Anthony Johnson plans on 'running right through' Ryan Bader, wants to 'take his soul'

SAO PAULO – Anthony Johnson’s push for a fight with Ryan Bader paid off in the form of a main event fight at UFC on FOX 18. With the fight set, Johnson explained why he wanted the fight so badly.File read news >>

Michael McDonald to Finally Return at UFC 195

One-time UFC title challenger Michael McDonald is finally returning to the Octagon. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 winner Thomas Almeida gunning for UFC title, plans long reign

After another massive knockout victory that upped his UFC record at 4-0, undefeated bantamweight Thomas Almeida has begun to set his sights on UFC gold. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey UFC 193 entourage sees Travis IN and her Mother OUT

The lead up to any major fight, for Ronda Rousey, is a whirlwind that comes with its own set of challenges whether that be in the form of a feisty opponent, media obligations and the like; however,… read news >>

Despite opponent's perfect record, Anthony Birchak sees flaws in Thomas Almeida

Anthony Birchak said he specifically requested to fight Thomas Almeida at this weekend’s UFC Fight Night 77 event. He did so because he thinks he can hand the undefeated Brazilian his first career de read news >>

Chad Mendes Thinks Frankie Edgar is Being ‘Screwed,’ but Also Sees Opportunity

Chad Mendes believes Frankie Edgar has been getting the short end of the stick in the 145-pound divison for some time, but also sees their bout as a huge opportunity. read news >>

UFC 195's Lorenz Larkin on Albert Tumenov: Didn't know him until he called me out

Lorenz Larkin still has no plans to use his victory over current UFC champion Robbie Lawler to his advantage, even if he defeats Albert Tumenov at UFC 195 on Jan. 2. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>