Jay Silva Tapology

(photo courtesy of Tapology)

After starting off his career in strong fashion, winning five of six fights, former UFC middleweight Jay Silva has struggled to find his footing recently.

Losses in four of his last six bouts have him in need of turning things around. But as he points out, he’s continuing to learn lessons every time out, like he did in his last fight against Bristol Marunde in November, and has gotten better due to it.

“I took it on short notice, and I was tired,” admitted, Silva. “But for someone who (had little time to prepare) for that fight, I did pretty good.

“Some people thought I won the fight, and personally, I thought I won the fight too. He didn’t do anything, and I went five rounds with the guy, so I’m kind of happy with my performance. I wish I could have finished him, but it’s a lesson learned. I can’t take fights on short notice anymore; I need to train, and that’s pretty much it.”

Having joined a more diverse camp last year, Silva feels he’s making strides in training to match what he’s learning in the cage.

“I feel well-rounded now; a more conventional fighter with less (emphasis on) striking,” he said. “Working with Mark Munoz, Krzysztof Soszynski, and everybody down at Reign, I’m feeling pretty confident everywhere.

“I feel like I’ve improved myself a lot. I just wish I could be a better wrestler, but other than that, I feel pretty good right now.”

As he continues to work on his ground game, Silva is happy that his next bout, against Kendall Grove at SCC 4 on Thursday night at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, will be more akin to the fighting style he’s known for.

“When the SCC called me and told me that I was going to be on the fight card, the first thing I told them was to please not give me another wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy who is just going to take me to the ground and try to control me,” said Silva.

“When they told me it would be Kendall Grove, I was pretty happy about it. I’m hoping for this fight that we can stand up and bang the whole time. Wherever the fight goes I’ll be ready, and I’m sure he will be to, but I hope he stands up and tries to fight me.”

Silva told MMAWeekly.com that he feels this year will be one of building, so he can set himself up for big things in the future.

“I want to make sure by the end of 2012 I’ve got a good winning streak and by the next year I’m in the UFC,” he said.

“My record’s bad, but I feel like I’ve fought a who’s who of pretty tough guys. I’m not taking easy fights, and that’s what I like. I don’t want to fight anybody that doesn’t have a name. I want to keep fighting guys who will get my name out there like Kendall. I want to build back my record, fight smart, listen to my coaches and training partners, and get back on top.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Emotional Makwan Amirkhani plans more gifts for mom, says his work in life is done

BERLIN – Makwan Amirkhani continued to display brilliance at UFC Fight Night 69 when he submitted Masio Fullen in the first round for his 10th win his past 11 fights.Filed under: Featured Videos, New read news >>

Bellator 138's Derek Campos Plans on Breaking Michael Chandler's Will

Following an impressive knockout win over Estevan Payan in September, Derek Campos is looking to stay on the path towards the Bellator lightweight title when he takes on former champion Michael Chand read news >>

Video: Dan Hardy wants 'Cowboy' Cerrone, K.J. Noons or Diego Sanchez in comeback fight

"The Outlaw" plans to be cleared by the doctors by end of 2015, reveals his top-three wished for an opponent. Sidelined by the Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, a disorder of the heart's electrical sys read news >>

Ken Shamrock Explains Why He’s Returning to Fighting at 51 Years Old

UFC Hall of Fame inductee Ken Shamrock explains why he's returning to the cage to face "Kimbo Slice" after nearly five years of inactivity at the age of 51. read news >>

Dana White says Kelvin Gastelum 'has done nothing to prove he can make 170'

Kelvin Gastelum was forced into returning to middleweight at UFC 188, and if Dana White's post-fight press conference is anything to go by, the chances of Gastelum heading back down to welterweight a read news >>

Liberal Democratic Party of Russia wants to help Jeff Monson obtain Russian citizenship

The leader of the Liberal Democratic Party of Russia, Vladimir Zhirinovsky, plans to help UFC veteran Jeff Monson obtain Russian citizenship. For years now, Jeff Monson has publicly expressed interes read news >>

UFC 188: Fabricio Werdum submits Cain Velasquez, unifies heavyweight title (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: The returning Velasquez ran out of gas in the Mexico City altitude as Werdum adds another chapter to his legacy. read news >>

Gastelum doesn't want to be a 'mediocre middleweight', wants to win title at 170 lbs

UFC contender Kelvin Gastelum discusses his plans to return to the welterweight division in pursuit of the 170 lbs. title. Since winning The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale in 2013, budding prospect Kelvi read news >>

Werdum Eager to Shock the World Again

Fabricio Werdum shocked the world when he beat the iconic Fedor Emelianenko back in 2009, and he plans to do it again this Saturday night when he faces Cain Velasquez at UFC 188. read news >>