Jay Silva Sees Kendall Grove as the Next Step

• submit to reddit
Jay Silva Tapology

(photo courtesy of Tapology)

After starting off his career in strong fashion, winning five of six fights, former UFC middleweight Jay Silva has struggled to find his footing recently.

Losses in four of his last six bouts have him in need of turning things around. But as he points out, he’s continuing to learn lessons every time out, like he did in his last fight against Bristol Marunde in November, and has gotten better due to it.

“I took it on short notice, and I was tired,” admitted, Silva. “But for someone who (had little time to prepare) for that fight, I did pretty good.

“Some people thought I won the fight, and personally, I thought I won the fight too. He didn’t do anything, and I went five rounds with the guy, so I’m kind of happy with my performance. I wish I could have finished him, but it’s a lesson learned. I can’t take fights on short notice anymore; I need to train, and that’s pretty much it.”

Having joined a more diverse camp last year, Silva feels he’s making strides in training to match what he’s learning in the cage.

“I feel well-rounded now; a more conventional fighter with less (emphasis on) striking,” he said. “Working with Mark Munoz, Krzysztof Soszynski, and everybody down at Reign, I’m feeling pretty confident everywhere.

“I feel like I’ve improved myself a lot. I just wish I could be a better wrestler, but other than that, I feel pretty good right now.”

As he continues to work on his ground game, Silva is happy that his next bout, against Kendall Grove at SCC 4 on Thursday night at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, will be more akin to the fighting style he’s known for.

“When the SCC called me and told me that I was going to be on the fight card, the first thing I told them was to please not give me another wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy who is just going to take me to the ground and try to control me,” said Silva.

“When they told me it would be Kendall Grove, I was pretty happy about it. I’m hoping for this fight that we can stand up and bang the whole time. Wherever the fight goes I’ll be ready, and I’m sure he will be to, but I hope he stands up and tries to fight me.”

Silva told MMAWeekly.com that he feels this year will be one of building, so he can set himself up for big things in the future.

“I want to make sure by the end of 2012 I’ve got a good winning streak and by the next year I’m in the UFC,” he said.

“My record’s bad, but I feel like I’ve fought a who’s who of pretty tough guys. I’m not taking easy fights, and that’s what I like. I don’t want to fight anybody that doesn’t have a name. I want to keep fighting guys who will get my name out there like Kendall. I want to build back my record, fight smart, listen to my coaches and training partners, and get back on top.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

LAS VEGAS -- UFC president Dana White discusses job opportunities in the UFC, Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz, Joe Rogan's fighting future, Gina Carano, Georges St-Pierre, and much more Friday evening at the UFC Fan Expo. more

After a respectable 3-4 run in the UFC, Daniel Pineda is returning to the organization where he once won titles in two weight classes.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, MMA Rumors, News more

On the second episode of UFC 175 Embedded, Ronda Rousey gets in a workout in her hotel room and then delves deep into her arrival in the UFC, the pressures that accompanied it, and her ascension as she kicked off the UFC's first women's division. more

After his release from the UFC, Melvin Guillard sees his role in the upstart WSOF very clearly.Filed under: Featured Videos, MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio Highlight, Videos, WSOF more

“My best moment in the UFC, I guess now that I look back, it’s the two belts in the two weight classes,” B.J. Penn said after retiring from MMA. Filed under: News, UFC more

A fight between Tim Kennedy and Yoel Romero -- two surging middleweights in the UFC -- has been booked for UFC 178, which is set to take place in Las Vegas. The Las Vegas Review first reported the bout.
Kennedy has won four fights in a row going back to his Strikeforce days, and is 3-0 in the UFC. He is coming off an impressive one-sided decision victory over Michael Bisping at the TUF Nations Finale in April. Kennedy currently sits at No. 6 on the media driven UFC rankings.
The Cuban wrestler R more

Former UFC light-heavyweight champion Rashad Evans is interested in a potential move to WWE after his fighting career only if “got paid” a significant amount. Rashad Evans is open to a potential move to World Wrestling Entertainment if the money is right.
The former UFC light-heavyweight champion won't look to make the transition to professional wrestling anytime soon, but alluded to the possibility that he may consider that option once his fighting career is complete.
"If I ever did anything li more

After 16 fights in the UFC over a stretch of nearly nine years, Brandon Vera has a new fighting home.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News more

UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is No. 9 in the UFC's official pound-for-pound rankings, but apparently that isn't good enough for her head coach, Edmond Tarverdyan. Speaking as a guest on Ariel Helwani's The MMA Hour last week (h/t MMA Fighting), Tarverdyan made the bold proclamation that the "Rowdy" one has proved she deserves to be ranked in elite territory with any male counterpart: "Top three, for sure. Top three, yes," he said when asked where Rousey ranks among active fight more