Jay Silva Tapology

(photo courtesy of Tapology)

After starting off his career in strong fashion, winning five of six fights, former UFC middleweight Jay Silva has struggled to find his footing recently.

Losses in four of his last six bouts have him in need of turning things around. But as he points out, he’s continuing to learn lessons every time out, like he did in his last fight against Bristol Marunde in November, and has gotten better due to it.

“I took it on short notice, and I was tired,” admitted, Silva. “But for someone who (had little time to prepare) for that fight, I did pretty good.

“Some people thought I won the fight, and personally, I thought I won the fight too. He didn’t do anything, and I went five rounds with the guy, so I’m kind of happy with my performance. I wish I could have finished him, but it’s a lesson learned. I can’t take fights on short notice anymore; I need to train, and that’s pretty much it.”

Having joined a more diverse camp last year, Silva feels he’s making strides in training to match what he’s learning in the cage.

“I feel well-rounded now; a more conventional fighter with less (emphasis on) striking,” he said. “Working with Mark Munoz, Krzysztof Soszynski, and everybody down at Reign, I’m feeling pretty confident everywhere.

“I feel like I’ve improved myself a lot. I just wish I could be a better wrestler, but other than that, I feel pretty good right now.”

As he continues to work on his ground game, Silva is happy that his next bout, against Kendall Grove at SCC 4 on Thursday night at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, will be more akin to the fighting style he’s known for.

“When the SCC called me and told me that I was going to be on the fight card, the first thing I told them was to please not give me another wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy who is just going to take me to the ground and try to control me,” said Silva.

“When they told me it would be Kendall Grove, I was pretty happy about it. I’m hoping for this fight that we can stand up and bang the whole time. Wherever the fight goes I’ll be ready, and I’m sure he will be to, but I hope he stands up and tries to fight me.”

Silva told MMAWeekly.com that he feels this year will be one of building, so he can set himself up for big things in the future.

“I want to make sure by the end of 2012 I’ve got a good winning streak and by the next year I’m in the UFC,” he said.

“My record’s bad, but I feel like I’ve fought a who’s who of pretty tough guys. I’m not taking easy fights, and that’s what I like. I don’t want to fight anybody that doesn’t have a name. I want to keep fighting guys who will get my name out there like Kendall. I want to build back my record, fight smart, listen to my coaches and training partners, and get back on top.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

After UFC on FOX 22 loss, Sage Northcutt again changing divisions

Sage Northcutt is returning to the division where his UFC career began in such promising fashion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Trey Ogden Sees VFC 55 as the Set-Up Toward a UFC Run | MMAWeekly.com

Ready to make a move toward the Octagon, welterweight Trey Ogden sees Friday's Victory FC 55 as his next big step. read news >>

Nunes vs. Rousey: Odds, Tickets, Predictions After Weigh-In

The UFC's biggest star after Conor McGregor is returning to the Octagon after 13 months. That's right, Ronda Rousey is back. But in her path to redemption lies the "Lioness" Amanda Nunes. The UFC wom read news >>

Conor McGregor 'not in my plans for the next 10 months,' says UFC President Dana White

In spite of Conor McGregor’s recent clues that we might be seeing him sooner than originally expected, UFC president Dana White is still not counting on the lightweight champion for ten months.Filed read news >>

Dana White Reiterates Conor McGregor is Not in His Immediate Plans (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White stands by his belief that Conor McGregor won't be back in the Octagon until late in 2017. read news >>

Max Holloway will 'defend the interim title 10 times' if champ Jose Aldo isn't available

UFC interim featherweight champion Max Holloway plans to stay busy if he can’t get a title-unifier with primary titleholder Jose Aldo.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Michael Bisping just threw a wrench in fellow UFC champ Tyron Woodley's plans

For the first time in his career, UFC welterweight champ Tyron Woodley is in high demand. All sorts of opponents are clamoring to fight him, and he’s determined to get the biggest matchup possible.Fi read news >>

Coach Andre Pederneiras details Jose Aldo's 155-pound title plans, says UFC was on board

Jose Aldo has always been very clear about his intentions of avenging his loss to Conor McGregor – in whatever division that may be. But as he prepares to follow that journey, he doesn't quite unders read news >>

UFC 207's Dong Hyun Kim wanted 'Fight of the Night' but will settle for narrow win

Dong Hyun Kim’s plans for a “Fight of the Night” at UFC 207 obviously fell a bit short.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC heavyweight Justin Ledet 'rolling with the punches' but sees big things on horizon

Justin Ledet made his UFC debut just five months ago, but he’s already racked up a pair of octagon wins. At UFC Fight Night 104, he’ll look for a third UFC victory, and big things could come quickly read news >>