Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

Even after being out of MMA for a year, when Jay Hieron made his return this past Saturday at Bellator 35, he felt like he had never left.

“It felt great,” exclaimed Hieron. “I went through a rough year last year, but I got back in there and felt like I hadn’t lost a step, it was just right back to business.”

While Hieron feels like he hadn’t missed a beat, he told MMAWeekly.com that the time off wasn’t easy.

“I’m human,” he said. “I got down for a bit because when you can’t really make a living from your job doing something you love and it’s taken away from you and you’re not working, it’s rough.

“I had a lot of emotion, but throughout the whole time I stayed in the gym and kept working hard and stayed positive knowing it would turn around.”

Unable to get in the cage, Hieron spent the time working on his game.

“That’s definitely one thing I can say is that in the time off I had a chance to step back and push the reset button on everything and get all my skills sharper,” he stated.

“When you’re training for a fight you really don’t have a chance to learn new techniques and try new things because you’re always on that grind.”

While Hieron was successful against Anthony Lapsley, defeating him via rear naked choke halfway through the first round, the fight is not without dispute.

“A lot of people are saying it was a controversial stoppage, but it is what it is,” commented Hieron. “Regardless, another 30 seconds, another minute, he would have been out of there.

“He would have been unconscious for sure. It was getting tighter and I’m a fighter, not a ref, but from my standpoint, he was going out.”

Considered one of the top welterweights in the world prior to his year off, many feel this season’s welterweight tournament is Hieron’s to win or lose, but he doesn’t see it that way.

“That’s not me saying that, that’s the media and everybody else’s predictions,” he stated. “I don’t pay attention to that or listen to that. I’m just another guy in the tournament trying to make my mark, trying to move forward and basically just fight one fight at a time.

“I’m not looking past anybody. My next fight is Brent Weedman and that’s all I’m looking forward to right now.”

Hieron’s outlook is nothing new to him, as it’s the one he’s had his entire career, top ranking or not.

“I’m a guy who doesn’t look too far past my next fight,” he said. “That’s how you slip on banana peels. I’m definitely focused and I’m one fight at a time.

“People keep asking about (Ben) Askren and all these other guys that are in it; they’re not even on my radar right now. I’ve got one guy on my radar and that’s Brent.”

Having continued where he left off, it could very well be Hieron’s time again to shine in 2011.

“I’d like to get a shout-out for my team Xtreme Couture and all my sponsors,” he concluded. “All my fans, follow me on Twitter @jayhieron. I appreciate you guys supporting me.

“I was off the radar for a minute, and this is a nice little way to return. MTV2 and Bellator’s a great showcase for my talent. It’s time to let everybody know that I’m back.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Bellator 136's Dave Jansen on LW Champ Will Brooks: 'I See Holes in His Game'

  • 27 days ago
  • 0 views

The biggest fight of Dave Jansen's career awaits him Friday in the form of a Bellator lightweight title shot. Taking on current 155-pound champ Will Brooks at Bellator 136 in Irvine, California, Jans read news >>

Bellator Signs Top Featherweight Prospect Gleristone Santos

  • 21 days ago
  • 4 views

Gleristone Santos, quite possibly the best MMA prospect in all of Brazil, has signed a contract with the Bellator promotion. The report came Tuesday from Guilherme Cruz of MMAFighting.com. The 26-yea read news >>

Joe Schilling targeting June return to Bellator, says Phil Baroni fight would do nothing for his career

  • 20 days ago
  • 0 views

It has been a busy few days for Joe Schilling. The two-combat sport star lost at Bellator 136 on Friday night to Rafael Carvalho in a close split decision. Then, the rest of the weekend he went to wa read news >>

Phil Davis would have liked to stay with the UFC -- for 'big contract'

  • 15 days ago
  • 2 views

Phil Davis signing with Bellator MMA was strictly a business decision. The former UFC light heavyweight star told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour that he preferred the offer Bellato read news >>

Melvin Guillard signs multi-year, multi-fight contract with Bellator

  • a day ago
  • 0 views

Melvin Guillard has found a new home. Four days after being granted a release from World Series of Fighting, "The Young Assassin" has inked a multi-year, multi-fight contract with Bellator, the promo read news >>

Bellator MMA Inks UFC Vet Melvin Guillard to Multi-Fight Contract

  • a day ago
  • 2 views

Bellator MMA officials announced on Monday that they have signed Melvin “The Young Assassin” Guillard (32-14-2) to a multi-year, multi-fight contract. read news >>

K-1 GP heavyweight champion, Ewerton Teixeira, signs with Bellator

  • 13 hours ago
  • 0 views

Brazilian K-1 Japan champion, Ewerton Teixeira has a signed a contract with Bellator. Teixeira is 33 years old and undefeated in MMA. There is a new fighter in Bellator's heavyweight division. A form read news >>

Bellator Gets Injunction; ‘Rampage’ Jackson Out of UFC 186 Co-Main Event

  • 28 days ago
  • 2 views

New Jersey Superior Court Judge Karen L. Suter granted Bellator MMA a temporary injunction on Tuesday, preventing Quinton Jackson from fighting in the UFC 186 co-main event. read news >>

Bellator granted injunction against Rampage Jackson, forcing him off of UFC 186 co-main event

  • 28 days ago
  • 19 views

A New Jersey judge as granted Bellator MMA an injunction that will keep Quinton Jackson from competing at UFC 186 later this month. After an original postponement of New Jersey Superior Court judge K read news >>