Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

Even after being out of MMA for a year, when Jay Hieron made his return this past Saturday at Bellator 35, he felt like he had never left.

“It felt great,” exclaimed Hieron. “I went through a rough year last year, but I got back in there and felt like I hadn’t lost a step, it was just right back to business.”

While Hieron feels like he hadn’t missed a beat, he told MMAWeekly.com that the time off wasn’t easy.

“I’m human,” he said. “I got down for a bit because when you can’t really make a living from your job doing something you love and it’s taken away from you and you’re not working, it’s rough.

“I had a lot of emotion, but throughout the whole time I stayed in the gym and kept working hard and stayed positive knowing it would turn around.”

Unable to get in the cage, Hieron spent the time working on his game.

“That’s definitely one thing I can say is that in the time off I had a chance to step back and push the reset button on everything and get all my skills sharper,” he stated.

“When you’re training for a fight you really don’t have a chance to learn new techniques and try new things because you’re always on that grind.”

While Hieron was successful against Anthony Lapsley, defeating him via rear naked choke halfway through the first round, the fight is not without dispute.

“A lot of people are saying it was a controversial stoppage, but it is what it is,” commented Hieron. “Regardless, another 30 seconds, another minute, he would have been out of there.

“He would have been unconscious for sure. It was getting tighter and I’m a fighter, not a ref, but from my standpoint, he was going out.”

Considered one of the top welterweights in the world prior to his year off, many feel this season’s welterweight tournament is Hieron’s to win or lose, but he doesn’t see it that way.

“That’s not me saying that, that’s the media and everybody else’s predictions,” he stated. “I don’t pay attention to that or listen to that. I’m just another guy in the tournament trying to make my mark, trying to move forward and basically just fight one fight at a time.

“I’m not looking past anybody. My next fight is Brent Weedman and that’s all I’m looking forward to right now.”

Hieron’s outlook is nothing new to him, as it’s the one he’s had his entire career, top ranking or not.

“I’m a guy who doesn’t look too far past my next fight,” he said. “That’s how you slip on banana peels. I’m definitely focused and I’m one fight at a time.

“People keep asking about (Ben) Askren and all these other guys that are in it; they’re not even on my radar right now. I’ve got one guy on my radar and that’s Brent.”

Having continued where he left off, it could very well be Hieron’s time again to shine in 2011.

“I’d like to get a shout-out for my team Xtreme Couture and all my sponsors,” he concluded. “All my fans, follow me on Twitter @jayhieron. I appreciate you guys supporting me.

“I was off the radar for a minute, and this is a nice little way to return. MTV2 and Bellator’s a great showcase for my talent. It’s time to let everybody know that I’m back.”

Bellator 145 event highlights: Daniel Straus wrests title from 'Pitbull' Freire in slugfest

Bellator returned on Friday with a a pair of title fights in St. Louis – and crowned a new champion in the main event.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 146 Results: Melvin Manhoef Adds to List of Career Knockout Wins

Melvin Manhoef earned his 28th career knockout with a first-round finish of Hisaki Kato at Bellator 146 in Thackerville, Okla. on Friday evening. read news >>

Bellator 146 video: Melvin Manhoef scores 28th knockout in 30th career win

One thing is nearly certain when Melvin Manhoef fights: You’re going to see a knockout – whether he’s on the giving or receiving end.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

UFC Champ Daniel Cormier Scraps Old Contract for New 8-Fight Deal

With little muss or fuss, light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier has scrapped his old UFC contract for a new eight-fight deal that makes him very happy. read news >>

Bellator's Goiti Yamauchi thinks 'Pitbull' overlooking him, even ahead of Straus fight

When Bellator featherweight champion Patricio Freire recently told MMAjunkie the promotion needed to track down some new competition worthy of challenging him, one fighter in particular took notice.F read news >>

Video: Part 2 of 'Road To Bellator 145: With A Vengeance,' featuring 'Pitbull,' Straus

Did you miss Part 2 of “Road To Bellator 145: With A Vengeance,” or just want to watch it again? Check out the second episode inside.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator Champ Will Brooks on Patricky Freire: 'Dude Is Garbage'

Will Brooks isn't looking past Marcin Held. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a few words for Patricky Freire. Brooks, who defends his Bellator lightweight title against Held this Friday at Bella read news >>

Bellator's Marcos Galvao confident he'll get trilogy rematch with Joe Warren – eventually

Marcos Galvao is looking for a fight. He had one, and he lost it. He thought he had a new one – and it would’ve been a doozy. But he lost that, too.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Daniel Cormier, UFC Agree to New Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier (17-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) signed an eight-fight contract with the organization Monday. According to Steven Marrocco of MMAjunkie, Cormier met with the UFC and read news >>

Bobby Lashley Questions Champion’s Bellator Hiatus

Bobby Lashley is looking forward to avenging his loss to James Thompson, but he's also questioning why Bellator's heavyweight champion disappeared. read news >>