Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

For Jay Hieron, 2011 was a year in which success was measured more by the things he was able to accomplish, not by what he wasn’t.

“I came back from a lot of adversity in my life and did pretty well getting back on my feet and getting my career back in line,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “It was a pretty productive year for me.

“I became more well-rounded as a fighter and I got to show that. Some guys don’t utilize (time off); they don’t go about it the right way. They don’t try to sharpen up their skills or get better as a complete athlete. That’s one thing I live by, and I did that and came back strong.”

After winning Bellator’s Season Four welterweight tournament in May, Hieron was given a chance to face welterweight champion Ben Askren in October, falling just shy of claiming the title in a split-decision loss.

It’s a loss that Hieron doesn’t agree with.

“I still believe I won that fight,” he said. “Of course, the decision didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to, but I feel I performed great. I think right now I’m the Bellator champion. He knows it, I know it, and everyone who watched the fight knows it.”

Still under contract to the promotion, Hieron would love to face Askren again, but he doesn’t feel he should have to toe the same line he did last year to get another title shot.

“Bellator goes by the tournament format, and I’m not doing the tournament again,” he said. “I feel I won the tournament and I feel I’m the Bellator champion and won the title; why would I go back and do the tournament again to claim what’s mine already?

“I like Bellator as an organization. I like how you earn your shot there, but I earned my shot and won it.”

With Bellator’s next season starting in early March, Hieron was asked when he thinks he’ll return to action.

“I’m not sure,” he said. “I let my manager handle that. He’s talking to Bellator right now. It will definitely be sometime this year; probably April, May-ish sometime.”

When Hieron does finally return, he intends to be even better than he was before.

“Of course, there’s always another level,” he said. “Once you think you have it figured out, your days are numbered. I want to get to the top just like every other man, and I work towards that every day.

“Everything happens for a reason. I just try to stay positive and know there’s a plan for me and keep moving forward. I’m in the gym, training and keeping my body healthy. Once they call, I’ll be ready to go. It’s going to be a big year. I’m going to get back in there and show people what I can do.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Bellator Continues Global Expansion with Championship Fight in Israel

Bellator continues its global expansion under the leadership of company president Scott Coker with a November event in Israel. read news >>

Veta Arteaga Knows What She Signed Up for at Bellator 161 | MMAWeekly.com

Undefeated flyweight Veta Arteaga knows what she signed up for at Bellator 161, and she's ready. read news >>

Derek Campos Expecting Explosive Fight with Djamil Chan at Bellator 161 | MMAWeekly.com

Derek Campos steps into a Bellator 161 lightweight bout against Djamil Chan on Friday, in what could very well end up being a title elimination bout. read news >>

Did Bellator Find Its Own Paige VanZant in Russian Flyweight Anastasia Yankova?

Anastasia Yankova is very pretty. It feels disingenuous to start anywhere else. It's always been a part of her story, even back to her amateur days at a tournament where no one would cheer for her. S read news >>

Tony Johnson Believes a Win Over Cheick Kongo Paves Way to Bellator Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Johnson has worked his way into a heavyweight main event fight against Cheick Kongo at Bellator 161 on Friday. Is it his route to the title? read news >>

Mark Dickman Says He's a 'Step Above' Bellator 161 Opponent Daniel Pineda | MMAWeekly.com

Mark Dickman will make his return at Bellator 161 on Friday in Texas to take on local veteran Daniel Pineda in a preliminary card 145-pound bout. read news >>

Bellator 161: Kongo vs. Johnson Weigh-in Video and Results | MMAWeekly.com

The Bellator 161: Kongo vs. Johnson weigh-in is slated for Thursday, Sept. 15 at 6 p.m. ET / 3 p.m. PT. Watch it streaming live on MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>

Chael Sonnen Leaves UFC, Signs with Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen has officially ended his retirement from MMA competition. But he's not coming back to the UFC. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Fought Chael Sonnen? Sonnen Tells the True Tale | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen, who is returning to the fight game in 2016 with Bellator, tells the tale of the time he and Ronda Rousey allegedly fought in a restaurant. read news >>