Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

For Jay Hieron, 2011 was a year in which success was measured more by the things he was able to accomplish, not by what he wasn’t.

“I came back from a lot of adversity in my life and did pretty well getting back on my feet and getting my career back in line,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “It was a pretty productive year for me.

“I became more well-rounded as a fighter and I got to show that. Some guys don’t utilize (time off); they don’t go about it the right way. They don’t try to sharpen up their skills or get better as a complete athlete. That’s one thing I live by, and I did that and came back strong.”

After winning Bellator’s Season Four welterweight tournament in May, Hieron was given a chance to face welterweight champion Ben Askren in October, falling just shy of claiming the title in a split-decision loss.

It’s a loss that Hieron doesn’t agree with.

“I still believe I won that fight,” he said. “Of course, the decision didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to, but I feel I performed great. I think right now I’m the Bellator champion. He knows it, I know it, and everyone who watched the fight knows it.”

Still under contract to the promotion, Hieron would love to face Askren again, but he doesn’t feel he should have to toe the same line he did last year to get another title shot.

“Bellator goes by the tournament format, and I’m not doing the tournament again,” he said. “I feel I won the tournament and I feel I’m the Bellator champion and won the title; why would I go back and do the tournament again to claim what’s mine already?

“I like Bellator as an organization. I like how you earn your shot there, but I earned my shot and won it.”

With Bellator’s next season starting in early March, Hieron was asked when he thinks he’ll return to action.

“I’m not sure,” he said. “I let my manager handle that. He’s talking to Bellator right now. It will definitely be sometime this year; probably April, May-ish sometime.”

When Hieron does finally return, he intends to be even better than he was before.

“Of course, there’s always another level,” he said. “Once you think you have it figured out, your days are numbered. I want to get to the top just like every other man, and I work towards that every day.

“Everything happens for a reason. I just try to stay positive and know there’s a plan for me and keep moving forward. I’m in the gym, training and keeping my body healthy. Once they call, I’ll be ready to go. It’s going to be a big year. I’m going to get back in there and show people what I can do.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Bellator signs Blackzilians heavyweight knockout artist Lorenzo Hood

  • 23 days ago
  • 8 views

Not every good Blackzilians prospect is on The Ultimate Fighter 21. Actually one of them is off to Bellator MMA. Lorenzo Hood, a heavyweight slugger, signed with Bellator this week, the organization read news >>

Lightweight Melvin Guillard signs with Bellator

  • 24 days ago
  • 1 views

Melvin Guillard's rocky World Series of Fighting tenure is now in the past as the lightweight has signed with Bellator. The next chapter in Melvin Guillard's up-and-down career will take place inside read news >>

Melvin Guillard Signs Bellator Deal Four Days After Being Released by WSOF

  • 24 days ago
  • 1 views

Melvin Guillard, a popular if mercurial lightweight who fought 22 times for the UFC, has signed a long-term deal with the Bellator MMA promotion. Bellator officials announced the deal Monday in a new read news >>

Bellator MMA Inks UFC Vet Melvin Guillard to Multi-Fight Contract

  • 24 days ago
  • 2 views

Bellator MMA officials announced on Monday that they have signed Melvin “The Young Assassin” Guillard (32-14-2) to a multi-year, multi-fight contract. read news >>

Melvin Guillard signs multi-year, multi-fight contract with Bellator

  • 24 days ago
  • 0 views

Melvin Guillard has found a new home. Four days after being granted a release from World Series of Fighting, "The Young Assassin" has inked a multi-year, multi-fight contract with Bellator, the promo read news >>

Bellator inks multi-fight deal with UFC lightweight veteran Melvin Guillard

  • 24 days ago
  • 1 views

Melvin Guillard is headed (back) to Spike TV. The hard-hitting "Young Assassin," who made a brief (and turbulent) pit stop in World Series of Fighting (WSOF) in 2014, has inked a multi-fight, multi-y read news >>

Veteran slugger Melvin Guillard signs with Bellator

  • 24 days ago
  • 2 views

Veteran lightweight slugger Melvin Guillard, who’s recently competed for the UFC and WSOF, has signed with Bellator MMA.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, WSOF read news >>

Bellator signs K-1 World GP champion Ewerton Teixeira

  • 25 days ago
  • 9 views

Bellator has added a Brazilian heavyweight to its roster. Ewerton Teixeira, Winner of the K-1 World GP in 2008 and world champion in kyokushin, has signed a deal with Bellator, sources close to the s read news >>

Ben Askren says Luis Santos was playing up eye injury, wants rematch 'as soon as possible'

  • 26 days ago
  • 9 views

Ben Askren flew all the way to the Philippines. He was hoping to fight for more than just two minutes or, at the very least, have a clear outcome. Askren's ONE Championship welterweight title defense read news >>