Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

Brennan Ward open to Bellator title fight after concluding perfect year with Rizin win

Brennan Ward’s perfect year of competition, in which he defeated and stopped all four opponents he faced, has him hungry for that success to spill over into 2016.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Michael Page Returns in Bellator 151 Co-Main Event

The "Bellator 151: Warren vs. Caldwell" co-main event features the return of undefeated Michael "Venom" Page. read news >>

Fernando Gonzalez vs. Michael Page gets Bellator 151 co-main event spot

Michael Page will take the next step in his Bellator career when he faces streaking welterweight Fernando Gonzalez at Bellator 151.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Derek Anderson injured, Patricky 'Pitbull' Freire meets Ryan Couture at Bellator 148

An injury to Derek Anderson has forced him off Bellator 148’s main card and Patricky Freire will step in to face Ryan Couture at the Jan. 29 event.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Four preliminary-card bouts added to Bellator 148 in Fresno, Calif.

Bellator’s card in Fresno, Calif., later this month may have undergone a change at the top recently, but its prelims today continued to grow.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bojan Velickovic Enters RFA Title Fight Coming Off of a Red Hot 2015

Following a red hot year in 2015, Bojan Velickovic enters Friday night's RFA title tilt riding a wave of momentum. read news >>

Fans invited to next month's Bellator Fan Fest with Angle, Ortiz, Couture, more

Bellator heads to Houston for next month’s “tentpole event.” Beforehand, fans can get up close and personal with some MMA legends.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Brian Rogers vs. Alessio Sakara set for Bellator 152 in Italy

Bellator’s debut event in Italy has its first fight, and it features some familiar names.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Cody Mumma Riding High into RFA 34 Showdown, Targets UFC in 2016

Riding a three-fight hot streak into 2016, Cody Mumma sees his UFC shot coming this year. read news >>

Francimar Barroso excited for first fight on American soil at UFC Fight Night 81

Francimar Barroso has only fought once a year since making his UFC debut in 2013. Despite the inactivity, he is sure he can show people he’s ready to fight at the top of the division.Filed under: New read news >>