Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

Josh Thomson excited to sign 'fighter-friendly contract' with Bellator MMA

Former Strikeforce champion and ex-UFC lightweight Josh Thomson has officially signed with Bellator MMA. Check out what he has to say about his new home, which reunites him with Scott Coker. Bellator read news >>

Former UFC lightweight Josh Thomson expected to join Bellator MMA

Former Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson is expected to sign with Bellator MMA after the UFC declined to give him a new contract. Less than two years ago, former Strikefroce LW champion J read news >>

UFC declines to re-sign Josh Thomson, who is expected to sign with Bellator MMA

Josh Thomson's latest UFC run has come to end. According to sources with knowledge of the situation, the UFC declined to offer Thomson a new contract once his most recent one expired following his lo read news >>

Joe Warren and LC Davis Battle for Title Contention in Bellator 143 Headliner

Joe Warren’s road to reclaim the Bellator MMA Bantamweight Championship will begin on Friday, September 25 against L.C. Davis. read news >>

Paul Daley Prepares for Glory Against Fernando Gonzalez at Bellator MMA: Dynamite 1

Bellator MMA competitors Paul Daley and Fernando Gonzalez will set up shop inside the GLORY kickboxing ring and showcase their striking skills at Bellator MMA: Dynamite 1. read news >>

Joe Warren vs. L.C. Davis, Beltran vs. Grove headline Bellator 143 in Texas

Bellator will return to Texas for the first time since March of 2012 when the promotion heads to the “Lone Star State” for Bellator 143.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Paul Daley vs. Fernando Gonzalez set as kickboxing bout at 'Bellator 142: Dynamite'

Bellator MMA welterweights Paul Daley and Fernando Gonzalez will trade in their MMA gloves for kickboxing mitts at next month’s combined Bellator MMA and GLORY spectacular.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Paul Daley takes on Fernando Gonzalez in kickboxing match at Bellator MMA: Dynamite 1

Paul Daley has his opponent set for Bellator MMA: Dynamite 1. The British star will meet Fernando Gonzalez in a kickboxing match on the hybrid card Sept. 19 in San Jose, sources told MMAFighting.com. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 results: Chris Camozzi takes unanimous decision over Tom Watson

NASHVILLE – Riding a sharp jab and a series of easy takedowns, Chris Camozzi outpointed Tom Watson in a grinding three-round battle.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Glory featherweight title fight added to 'Bellator MMA: Dynamite' event

Another title will be at stake in the "Bellator MMA: Dynamite" card in San Jose. The hybrid MMA and kickboxing event on Sept. 19 will feature another Glory title fight as featherweight champion Gabri read news >>