Jay Hieron Riding Momentum Into Bellator Welterweight Tournament Finals

• submit to reddit
Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

Watch Bellator 122 live stream online on MMA Fighting for the preliminary card at 7 p.m. ET. The fight card for this portion of the event is as follows:Kelly Anundson (8-2) vs. Philipe Lins (9-0)Poppies Martinez (26-9) vs. Bubba Jenkins (6-1)Dmitriy Sosnovskiy (8-0) vs. Manny Lara (4-4)Augusto Sakai (6-0) vs. Matt Frembling (9-2)Linton Vassell (13-3) vs. Virgil Zwicker (12-3)Fernando Gonzalez (20-12) vs. Karl Amoussou (17-6-2)Joe Duarte (10-3) vs. Saad Awad (15-6)Stephen Martinez (10-2) vs. Serg more

UFC heavyweight Stefan Struve is excited to be back in the octagon and promises fans that his best is yet to come. After a year on the sidelines, Stefan Struve is back and excited to show fans that he ages like fine wine and gets better with the added years.
The longtime UFC heavyweight competitor has been away from the cage for an extended period of time dealing with a leaking aortic valve and an enlarged heart, which means that he was only pumping about 70% of the necessary blood his body need more

The Ultimate Fighter 19 concluded Wednesday night with the final two fights before the live finale. It featured a middleweight bout between Dhiego Lima and Roger Zapata, as well as a light heavyweight scrap between Dan Spohn and Matt van Buren.
The episode heavily featured both fights. In non-fight segments, we saw Chuck Liddell visit Team Penn to help train Spohn. We also saw some of the fighters indulge in alcoholic beverages as their time in the house winded down.
In the first bout, Dhiego Li more

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

World Series of Fighting president and founder, Ray Sefo discusses how the organization was born, deal with NBC, co-promotion and future.
Tonight, NBC will be host to its very first primetime television MMA card. The World Series of Fighting has come a long way in just a little over two years, and are realizing their vision for a bright future with their 11th card. The Independence Day weekend has historically been a big one in general for MMA, and this one promises to keep in that tradition.
If more

Saturday afternoon, Justin Gaethje retained his World Series of Fighting Lightweight Championship with a second-round TKO of one-armed phenom Nick Newell. It was a performance that continued to boost the stock of the WSOF star.
Gaethje pushed his record to 12-0 with 10 knockouts. He is 5-0 with five knockouts in WSOF, including finishes of Newell, UFC vet Dan Lauzon and Strikeforce vet JZ Cavalcante. That is the type of resume that makes Gaethje elite at lightweight.
He has shown to be an excell more

I blame the wild hogs.
Former Bellator welterweight champion and current ONE FC headliner, Ben Askren, was in town over Fourth of July Weekend and made a stop by The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 19 Finale, which took place on July 6, 2014, inside Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada (results here).
And that's about as close to the Octagon as "Funky" can get.
That's because the "bald man" was uninterested in signing the talented mat rat, which is unfortunate, considering Askren -- a 2008 Oly more

World Series of Fighting (WSOF) lightweight champion Justin Gaethje has every reason to be confident in his skill set. The 25-year-old fighter is 12-0 with 11 finishes, including his latest second-round knockout of the previously undefeated Nick Newell. After his fight with Newell at WSOF, Gaethje talked with Ashley Luther of MMA Mayhem about his upcoming challengers within the promotion, and he made a bold statement about his place in the 155-pound ranks. "I owe anybody the shot, and if Melvin more

For the second time in 24 months, the Ultimate Fighting Championship has been forced to cancel an event. more