Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

Ryan Couture Excited for Bellator 162 Grappling Battle | MMAWeekly.com

Ryan Couture is hoping to get back on track at Bellator 162, but he's also excited for the potential grappling challenge in front of him. read news >>

Chael Sonnen vs. Tito Ortiz will not take place at Bellator 165 in San Jose

Newly minted Bellator fighter Chael Sonnen got a little ahead of himself in announcing a fight with Tito Ortiz on Nov. 19 at Bellator 165. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Kevin 'Baby Slice' Ferguson, Jr.'s Pro Debut Set for Bellator 162 | MMAWeekly.com

The preliminary portion of "Bellator 162: Shlemenko vs. Grove" is official, including the professional debut of Kevin "Baby Slice" Ferguson, Jr. read news >>

Bellator 162 lineup complete for Memphis, including delayed pro debut of 'Baby Slice'

Next month’s lineup for Bellator 162 is complete with a whopping 12 fights on the preliminary card, including the highly anticipated pro debut of Kevin Ferguson Jr. – “Baby Slice.”Filed under: Bellat read news >>

Former WWE Wrester Ryback Wants to Fight for Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

Ryback, a former WWE intercontinental champion, is looking to make a jump from the squared circle to Bellator's Hexagon. Or Polygon. Or whateveragon. read news >>

Bellator inks Cheick Kongo, Ilima Macfarlane to multi-fight contract extensions

Bellator has signed two of its notable fighters to contract extensions. Heavyweight Cheick Kongo and women’s flyweight Ilima Macfarlane have both inked multi-fight contract extensions with the organi read news >>

Ex-Bellator champ Alexander Volkov debuts with promotion vs. Timothy Johnson at UFC Fight Night 99

The UFC has another new heavyweight in its ranks – and he’s a former Bellator champion. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Alexander Volkov signs with UFC, faces Timothy Johnson at UFN 99

Longtime Bellator MMA fighter Alexander Volkov has made the transition to the UFC and will debut against Timothy Johnson at UFC Fight Night 99.There's been many Bellator MMA fighters who have ma read news >>

Smolka not content being just a 'contender'

Louis Smolka still dwells on his loss in 2014. Now, riding a four-fight win streak, Smolka is not content just being a contender. He wants to be one of the best of all time. read news >>

UFC Picks up Former Bellator Heavyweight Champ Alexander Volkov | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports Fight fans love the heavyweight division for its unpredictability. When two massive men step onto the canvas and start winging fists at one another, the likeliho read news >>