Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

From Around the Web

Fedor reflects on M-1 Global/UFC altercations, excited to help Coker for Bellator's future

• 4 hours ago

MMA's Russian figurehead Fedor Emelianenko has no qualms with the failed UFC/M-1 Global negotiations during the peak of his career. The former Pride champ looks to the future to aid in Scott Coker's read news >>

Details of Rampage Jackson's contract perks emerge from Bellator injunction

Bellator's injunction attempting to stop Quinton Jackson from competing at UFC 186 has revealed a variety of interesting notes about Rampage's contract perks. Based on some information that became pu read news >>

Fabio Maldonado hopes to fight Rampage Jackson at UFC 186 despite Bellator’s lawsuit

Bellator is trying to stop Quinton Jackson from fighting Fabio Maldonado at UFC 186, but the Brazilian brawler is hoping it fails. Bellator announced on Monday that they have filed a lawsuit in the C read news >>

New Tesla Sport, $200,000 check among Bellator bonuses for 'Rampage' Jackson

Bellator’s lawsuit against Quinton Jackson details the lavish contract the Viacom-owned promotion now seeks to enforce, according to a report from Newsday.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Find Bellator a sponsor, earn 20%: Tiki Ghosn's lawsuit detail sponsor market

Tiki Ghosn sued Bellator last year for breach of contract and simultaneously shed light on the sponsorship side of MMA. Many times when we hear reports of sponsorship deals between consumer product c read news >>

Bellator injunction reveals exorbitant contract perks for Rampage Jackson as UFC legal battle continues

Bellator MMA's filing with the Superior Court in Burlington County, New Jersey, for an injunction against Quinton Jackson, revealed some interesting perks and expenditures they made to the former (an read news >>

New Bellator champ Liam McGeary: Shocked to get belt, Tito 'living in dreamworld'

Liam McGeary didn’t look as happy as one might expect after winning the Bellator light heavyweight title.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Bellator 135 card complete with eight prelims, including L.C. Davis vs. Hideo Tokoro

With the addition of eight fights on the preliminary card, this month’s Bellator 135 event is complete. Filed under: News read news >>

L.C. Davis vs. Hideo Tokoro added to Bellator 135, full fight card announced

The full card for Bellator 135 is set. L.C. Davis will meet Hideo Tokoro in a matchup of MMA veterans on the event's prelims, Bellator announced Wednesday. Also on the prelims is top Roufusport prosp read news >>