Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

Jake Shields excited to face 'dirty sociopath' Rousimar Palhares at WSOF 22

Jake Shields sounds off on World Series of Fighting champion, and future opponent Rousimar Palhares ahead of their title clash at WSOF 22. Former Strikeforce champion and UFC title challenger Jake Sh read news >>

Roy Jones: A win over Manny Pacquiao would not make Floyd Mayweather the best ever

Roy Jones Jr. is excited for the highly anticipated boxing match between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. He just doesn't think a win over Mayweather would elevate his legacy all that much. Jones read news >>

Melvin Guillard granted release from WSOF, 'excited to be starting over'

Melvin Guillard is a free agent. World Series of Fighting granted the UFC veteran his release Thursday, MMAFighting.com has confirmed with Guillard's manager Abe Kawa. After a tumultuous run with the read news >>

Bellator tourney winner 'Frodo' Khasbulaev signs with WSOF, promotion seeks opponent

Bellator MMA Season 8 featherweight tournament winner Magomedrasul Khasbulaev has signed a multi-fight deal with WSOF, and the promotion is now seeking an opponent to face him at June’s WSOF 21 event read news >>

Karakhanyan out, Weichel in for title fight at Bellator 138: Slice vs. Shamrock

Top contender suffers torn ACL, Weichel jumps in against "Pitbull" Freire. Bellator MMA's top-featherweight contender Georgi Karakhanyan reportedly suffered a torn ACL and is out of his Bellator 138 read news >>

Ben Askren: 'I'm excited to kick Santos' butt' after he 'played up' accidental eye poke

Ben Askren expected a strong start for Luis Santos at ONE Championship 26, but he still wonders just how serious the inadvertent eye poke that brought a halt to the bout really was.Filed under: News read news >>

Bellator 138: Daniel Weichel vs. Patricio Pitbull title fight set with Georgi Karakhanyan hurt

Georgi Karakhanyan has been waiting four years to get his revenge on Patricio "Pitbull" Freire in Bellator. Unfortunately, due to a knee injury in training, he's going to have to wait just a little b read news >>

Knee Injury Forces Bellator 138 Featherweight Championship Change

Bellator featherweight title challenger Georgi Karakhanyan suffered a knee injury that has forced him out of his title bid against Patricio “Pitbull” Freire. read news >>

Torn ACL sidelines Karakhanyan from Bellator 138, Daniel Weichel meets 'Pitbull' for title

The featherweight title co-main event of June’s Bellator 138 card has a new challenger with Georgi Karakhanyan out and Daniel Weichel in vs. Patricio “Pitbull” Freire.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rumor read news >>