Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

Bellator Confirms Hit-and-Run Incident that Cost Jordan Parson’s His Leg

Bellator confirms hit-and-run incident that reportedly forced the amputation of part of Jordan Parsons' right leg. read news >>

Josh Thomson Injury Forces Cancellation of Bellator 154 Bout with Michael Chandler

The highly anticipated co-main event of “Bellator 154: Davis vs. King Mo” between Josh Thomson and Michael Chandler has been cancelled. read news >>

Kimbo Slice Negotiates Steroid Settlement for Failed Drug Test in Texas

Kimbo Slice and his camp negotiated a lesser punishment with Texas for his Bellator 149 drug test that revealed steroids in his system. read news >>

Bellator Signs Three-Time All-American Wrestler Jarod Trice

Bellator MMA is proud to announce the signing of three-time All American wrestling prospect Jarod Trice to an exclusive, multi-fight contract. read news >>

Bellator's Jordan Parsons Has Full Leg Amputated After Hit-and-Run Collision

Jordan Parsons, 25, a fighter competing in Bellator MMA's featherweight division, has lost his entire right leg after falling victim to a hit-and-run vehicle collision early Sunday morning in Florida read news >>

Bellator Fighter Jordan Parsons, 25, Dies Following Hit-and-Run Incident

Bellator featherweight fighter Jordan Parsons, a victim of a hit-and-run incident on Sunday, passed away on Wednesday. read news >>

Jordan Parsons, Bellator Fighter, Dies at Age 25

Bellator fighter Jordan Parsons has died at the age of 25, three days after he was the victim of a hit-and-run accident in Florida. Bellator President Scott Coker confirmed Parsons' death Wednesday i read news >>

Bellator 154: Davis vs. King Mo Fight Card Complete with Two New Main Card Bouts

The Bellator 154: Davis vs. King Mo fight card has been finalized with the addition of two new main card bouts. read news >>

Brendan Schaub and Bryan Callen, Riding the Whirlwind

On Tuesday, literally minutes before Brendan Schaub and Bryan Callen’s new cinematic web series The Fighter and the Kid 3D was released in its entirety, Bleacher Report spoke with the duo via telepho read news >>

Remembering Jordan Parsons (1990-2016)

Bellator featherweight up-and-comer Jordan Parsons was struck by vehicle while walking home on May 1. He suffered injuries that would inevitably take his life. read news >>