Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

From Around the Web

Fedor reflects on M-1 Global/UFC altercations, excited to help Coker for Bellator's future

MMA's Russian figurehead Fedor Emelianenko has no qualms with the failed UFC/M-1 Global negotiations during the peak of his career. The former Pride champ looks to the future to aid in Scott Coker's read news >>

Bellator 138: 'Kimbo vs. Shamrock' adds Michael Chandler vs. Derek Campos, moves to June 19

The anticipated Ken Shamrock vs. Kimbo Slice "super fight" for Bellator MMA is still taking place at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, it's just been moved up one day on the calendar. It's the kind read news >>

Michael Chandler vs. Derek Campos added to Bellator 138

Former Bellator champion Michael Chandler looks to get back on track at Bellator 138.Chandler has been slated to face Derek Campos at the Bellator event, which has been moved to June 19, in St. Louis read news >>

Bellator champ Joe Warren: Galvao 'a body they put in front of me to beat the sh-t out of'

Champ Joe Warren believes his offensive gameplan is the most important thing in determining the outcome of his Bellator 135 rematch with Andre Galvao.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Michael Chandler vs. Derek Campos joins Bellator 138, which moves to June 19

Former Bellator MMA lightweight champion Michael Chandler has taken a co-headliner slot on one of the company’s biggest cards of the year.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rumors, News read news >>

Bellator 135 preview: Ryan Couture, son of a UFC legend, looks to make his own name in MMA

Former Strikeforce and UFC fighter Ryan Couture is currently working his way up Bellator's lightweight rankings after a successful debut last September. The next challenge ahead is Dakota Cochrane on read news >>

Bellator 135 preview: LC Davis prepared a 'good old-fashioned ass kicking' for Hideo Tokoro

LC Davis is a world-traveled fighter, having gone from Titan FC to WEC, all the way to Sengoku. But on March 27th, a man rarely seen outside the "Land of the Rising Sun" comes to Oklahoma to face him read news >>

Bobby Lashley Inks Long-Term Extension with Bellator

Bellator MMA announced on Friday that superstar heavyweight Bobby Lashley (12-2) has signed a long-term contract extension with the promotion. read news >>

Bellator announces 'long-term contract extension' with Bobby Lashley

Two-time Bellator MMA veteran and former professional wrestling superstar Bobby Lashley has signed a “long-term contract extension” with the California-based organization.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>