Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

Super Prospect Darrion Caldwell, Melvin Guillard Top Bellator 159 Card

Darrion Caldwell, a national college wrestling champion and one of the brightest up-and-coming bantamweights in MMA, will vie for a title shot this summer when he faces Joe Taimanglo in the main even read news >>

Darrion Caldwell vs. Joe Taimanglo Headline Bellator 159

Bellator returns to Kansas with a pivotal matchup between undefeated phenom Darrion Caldwell and Joe Taimanglo to determine the No. 1 bantamweight contender. read news >>

Report: Former Bellator Fighter Shahbulat Shamhalaev Shot Multiple Times in Restaurant Altercation

Former Bellator MMA fighter Shahbulat Shamhalaev was hospitalized on Wednesday in Makhachkala, Russia after being shot "several times" while dining at a local restaurant. read news >>

Kevin “Kimbo Slice’ Ferguson Dead at 42

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson has passed away in a Florida hospital. Bellator MMA president Scott Coker confirmed the news on Monday evening. He was 42. read news >>

Kimbo Slice Dead at Age 42 After Being Hospitalized

MMA fighter Kimbo Slice died Monday at the age of 42. Bellator President Scott Coker released a statement regarding the news, via B/R's Jonathan Snowden: TMZ Sports reported earlier Monday that polic read news >>

Bellator 158 Fight Card Set, Michael Page Now Faces Evangelista Santos in London

Arguably England’s two top welterweights, Paul “Semtex” Daley (38-13-2) and Michael “Venom” Page (10-0) have each been assigned new opponents for the upcoming “Bellator 158: London” event. read news >>

By the Numbers: Inside look at Brock Lesnar

Why is everybody so excited about Brock Lesnar's return at UFC 200? Go inside the numbers to see what makes him a fan favorite. read news >>

Bellator 156 Gets New Co-Main Event, Fight Card Finalized

An injury to Bellator 158 competitor Josh Koscheck has paved the way for a new co-main event at Bellator 156: Galvao vs. Dantas 2, pitting Chidi Njokuani against Thiago Jambo. read news >>

Expect to See a New Carrington Banks at Bellator 156

After being fairly busy over the course of his amateur and early MMA career, former standout wrestler Carrington Banks has had difficulties maintaining consistency. read news >>

Chris Honeycutt Not Dabbling in Bellator Middleweight Debut

Following a strong run at welterweight, at Bellator 156, Chris Honeycutt is out to prove that he's not slouch at middleweight either. read news >>