Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

Bellator 140's Douglas Lima on Ben Askren: 'If he comes back, I'll be ready for him'

Bellator's welterweight champion is excited to return to action after a year-long absence against Andrey Koreshkov later tonight (Fri. July 17, 2015) inside Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connectic read news >>

Gavin Sterritt released by Bellator after pulling out of fight with Brennan Ward

Gavin Sterritt has withdrawn from his Bellator 140 bout with Brennan Ward, and it has cost him his contract with the promotion.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Gunnar Nelson: 'I'm excited to go home, eat some sheep's head'

LAS VEGAS -- Gunnar Nelson talks coming off the first loss of his career, fighting Brandon Thatch at UFC 189, what he misses from home, why he wasn't impressed with Fourth of July in Vegas and more. read news >>

Sean Grande replaces veteran Bellator brodcaster Sean Wheelock

Bellator has its first major change in the broadcast booth since the fight promotion introduced Sean Wheelock and Jimmy Smith in 2010.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Sean Wheelock out as Bellator MMA play-by-play voice

The long-time MMA commentary duo of Sean Wheelock and Jimmy Smith has been broken up. Fans of Bellator MMA (and also followers of M-1 and the short-lived Affliction promotion) are familiar with the w read news >>

Sean Grande in, Sean Wheelock out as Bellator play-by-play announcer

Bellator CEO Scott Coker apparently isn't finished making changes to the company's product. The Awful Announcing blog reported Thursday that Bellator has parted ways with longtime play-by-play announ read news >>

Antonio Braga Neto out, Dominique Steele in against Zak Cummings at UFC on FOX 16

Strikeforce and Bellator veteran Dominique Steele will have an opportunity to compete on the big stage of the UFC after Antonio Braga Neto was forced out of his UFC on FOX 16 bout with Zak Cummings.F read news >>

Justin Gaethje Excited to Be Back on NBC, Eyes Next WSOF Title Fight

WSOF champ Justin Gaethje is one of the most dominant lightweights outside the UFC. He's looking forward to returning to NBC on Saturday and his next title fight. read news >>

Bellator champ Douglas Lima on Ben Askren: Once he comes back, I’m here

It wasn’t Douglas Lima’s fault that Ben Askren relinquished his Bellator welterweight belt in search of greener pastures. But ever since he seized the title, he told MMAjunkie, some fans seem to enjo read news >>

Local Governor supports Shlemenko in PED situation: ‘F*** them Americans’

Former Bellator middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko started a flashmob in his support, which reached the local government in the Omsk region of Russia. Having been suspended for three years alo read news >>