Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

King Mo: I heard Tito Ortiz was doing some 'Dynamite' d--k riding at Bellator 142

Despite his inability to capture the Bellator light heavyweight championship from Liam McGeary at the Bellator 142: "Dynamite" mixed martial arts (MMA) and kickboxing event last weekend (Sat., Sept. read news >>

Bellator MMA: Dynamite will feature PRIDE's Lenne Hardt as ring announcer

PRIDE NEVER DIE! Lenne Hardt's legendary voice will be heard on Bellator MMA's biggest ever event. Bellator MMA is going all out to make next Saturday's "Dynamite" show a unique and truly special sho read news >>

Legendary PRIDE announcer Lenne Hardt joins Bellator MMA: 'Dynamite 1' card on Sept. 19

PRIDE Fighting Championships fans rejoice, as the signature voice to fighter intrrrrrrrrrroductions returns on September 19th. It's a little over the top and arguably unnecessary for an already huge read news >>

Bellator Turns to a Sonic Assault to Rekindle Japan’s Heyday of MMA

For those of you old enough to remember, there is an unmistakable voice returning to mixed martial arts. read news >>

'Bellator 142: Dynamite' lands former PRIDE ring announcer Lenne Hardt

Legendary PRIDE and DREAM ring announcer Lenne Hardt will lend her unique voice to Bellator 142: Dynamite. The announcement was made today through a press release issued by the promotion.Filed under: read news >>

Bobby Lashley vs. James Thompson rematch now targeted for Bellator 145 in St. Louis

Maybe the third time’s the charm. A repeatedly scrapped heavyweight matchup between Bobby Lashley and James Thompson is now targeted for Bellator 145. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Pic: Melvin Guillard posts disturbing photos of surgically-repaired hand

Young Assassin? Looks more like Young Frankenstein. Bellator lightweight attraction Melvin Guillard mangled his mitt when he went head-to-head with Brandon Girtz last month in the Bellator 141 main e read news >>

Bellator lightweight Melvin Guillard posts graphic photo of hand, post-surgery

Melvin Guillard was forced to undergo surgery on his “shattered” right hand following an unsuccessful Bellator debut this past month. Check out the post-surgery photo of the stitched and mangled mess read news >>

Dengue fever sidelines Lins; Roy Boughton meets Francis Carmont at Bellator 142

An illness has caused a change to a key bout on next week’s Bellator 142 card. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Brandon Halsey faces Rafael Carvalho at Bellator 144 with opportunity to reclaim his Middleweight belt

The only thing to defeat 'Bull' Brandon Halsey so far in Bellator was a weight cut, but that wound up costing him his Middleweight title. He gets a rare second chance to make a first impression on Oc read news >>