Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16

Jay Hieron

After more than a year off from fighting, Jay Hieron has stepped back into MMA as part of this season’s Bellator welterweight tournament. He hasn’t skipped a beat. In fact, according to him, he’s at his absolute peak.

“I’m feeling better than ever,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I had a chance to step back and push that reset button and sharpen up my skills.

“I had a long layoff and now getting back-to-back fights I feel I’m catching back up. This is what I needed right now in my career. Before that I was fighting once, twice a year, so I feel I needed this.”

As he continues to fight, Hieron is able to implement more of what he worked on during his layoff.

“The first (tournament fight) was quick, the second one I got a chance to work out all the rust,” he commented.

“With the stuff I’ve been working on in training with trainers and my team I feel I’ve done a good job. Now I’m moving on with the momentum; feeling good, feeling confident, I’m healthy and moving into the finals Saturday night.”

As Hieron stated, on Saturday night he’ll get a chance to compete for the tournament title against former Olympic judoka Rick Hawn. It’s an opportunity Hieron feels he has earned.

“It’s the last fight of the tournament, and I don’t like to look past anybody, but I feel I deserve (to win) it,” he said. “I feel I’ve put in all the work and I’ve trained just as hard as anyone in there.

“I’m going to go in there Saturday and if I do what I do every day in the gym, I feel I’ll have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Hieron feels that being a veteran fighter with overall fighting skills will overcome Hawn’s grappling prowess.

“I do have a lot more experience than him with way better fighters,” stated Hieron. Not taking anything away from him, he’s a tough guy and has a strong judo background, but I’m more well-rounded.

“At the end of the day, it’s not a judo fight, it’s an MMA fight.”

A win by Hieron could continue to add to the debate of who is the top welterweight in the world along with Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz and UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. It’s a situation Hieron hopes one day he can help resolve inside the cage.

“I’ve got a couple fighters in front of me first, but I’d love to fight the best in the world,” commented Hieron. “That’s what I do this for. I hope one day that can happen.”

So far after his layoff, Hieron is proving he’s at the top of his game, and should he continue to do so, it may not be long before he’s at the top of Bellator’s 170-pound division.

“Thanks to my team, Xtreme Couture, all my training partners and coaches like Gil Martinez, and all the fans for their support,” concluded Hieron. Everybody check it out on Saturday night, it’s going to be a great fight.

“(I intend to) just keep racking up these wins and be the best I can be and keep doing what I’m doing.”

Bellator MMA Officially Announces Signing of Rory MacDonald

The news leaked out earlier this week, but Bellator MMA made it official on Friday during the Bellator 160 broadcast. The fight promotion has inked a deal with welterweight Rory MacDonald. read news >>

Bellator 160 Results: Benson Henderson Earns Title Shot Against Michael Chandler

Bellator 160: Henderson vs. Pitbull took place on Friday at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California and the main event ended in bizarre fashion. read news >>

Bellator 160 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Henderson vs. Pitbull Card

Benson Henderson got his first win with Bellator on Friday night against Patricio "Pitbull" Freire, but it didn't happen the way most would have wanted. During the second round, Pitbull suffered a ri read news >>

Third Time’s a Charm? Michael Page vs. Fernando Gonzalez Booked for Bellator in November

After originally being slated for Bellator 151 and Bellator 158, Michael “Venom” Page has again been booked to fight Fernando Gonzalez, this time in November. read news >>

Former Champ Alexander Shlemenko Returns to Headline Bellator 162

Former middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko and WWE Superstar Bobby Lashley return to action at Bellator 162 in October. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Believes Rory MacDonald ‘Chose the Best Option’ by Signing with Bellator

Former UFC champion Georges St-Pierre believes his friend, Rory MacDonald, made the right move, signing with rival promotion Bellator MMA. read news >>

After Grisly Skull Fracture, Bellator Should Say No to Return of Cyborg Santos

In the MMA world Monday, the figure holding the scale between integrity and lucre looked less like a blindfolded woman and more like Scott Coker. The same day, Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos, a 38-year- read news >>

Bellator 160: Henderson vs. Pitbull Main Card Fight Highlights

Bellator's return to SoCal came with some amazing finishes by rising star AJ McKee and Georgi Karakhanyan, while Derek Anderson continued his win streak. read news >>

UFC Signs Former Bellator Lightweight Title Contender Marcin Held

On the heels of Bellator inking a deal with former UFC welterweight contender Rory MacDonald, the UFC has signed former Bellator tournament winner Marcin Held. read news >>

Moving from UFC to Bellator, Rory MacDonald Begins His Vision Quest

After 21 violent minutes, Rory MacDonald's arsenal was spent. Beyond his last breath, the Canadian contender had nothing left to give as he lay shattered on the Octagon canvas. Few people realized it read news >>