Jared Downing Ready to Take Lance Palmer’s Spot as RFA’s Top Featherweight Prospect

Jared Downing-RFAHeading into Friday’s RFA 8 show at 9-1, featherweight Jared “Demon Eyes” Downing looks to be one of several prospects on the card that could possibly take a step to the next level with a solid performance on the show.

Even though he’s highly regarded, Downing continues to fight like he has something to prove, even if it means facing larger opposition like he’s done recently.

“I feel happy with my performances (in 2012),” said Downing.” I got to go with a lot of heavier guys and I feel that even at the heavier weight, I felt explosive and had strength like I had at 145 pounds.

“The bigger guys kind of got to me a little more than I had hoped for, but I definitely felt comfortable in those fights and doing what I wanted at that moment.”

In his more natural division at featherweight, Downing told MMAWeekly.com that he is more dangerous.

“I feel good at 145 and I have a speed advantage and a way bigger advantage in my strength and explosiveness,” he said.

Already a solid ground fighter, Downing’s most recent work has been on sharpening his striking.

“I’ve been working on my stand-up game to make it more vicious,” he said. “It’s something that I wanted to get more comfortable at.

“I thought it would be something that with my takedown defense it was something I should work on a lot more because I’m comfortable with my takedowns and ground game already.”

Downing’s developing skills will need to be at their peak Friday night at RFA 8 on AXS TV, when he takes on fellow top prospect Lance “The Party” Palmer.

“I think I am a bad match-up for him, so just applying my game and I will do just fine,” said Downing. “I’ll just keep doing what I’ve always done.

“I won’t fight his game. I will apply pressure and fight my fight.”

In a bout that could very well turn out to be a candidate for Fight of the Year, a win or at least a solid performance could take Downing to the next level.

“I’m not sure why it’s Palmer who is going to make this next transition for me,” said Downing. “But I feel with my record after beating him will definitely help.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Newly minted WSOF featherweight champion Rick Glenn sees two paths for his immediate future in the promotion. One offers competitive satisfaction while the other might be more personal.Filed under: N read news >>

Former top UFC featherweight contender Josh Grispi was arrested this past Friday for assault and battery and multiple firearms charges, according to police records.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The UFC featherweight division is one of the most talent-rich in all of mixed martial arts. One fighter whose skills may be flying under the radar a bit is Dennis Bermudez, who holds the third-longes read news >>

Ryan Bader is not ready to relinquish his Top 10 position in the light heavyweight rankings. At UFC Fight Night 47, Bader relied on his wrestling to shut down Ovince Saint Preux and claim a decision read news >>

Undefeated women's featherweight prospect Talita Nogueira has inked an exclusive deal to join the Bellator fold, promotion officials announced on Thursday. Nogueira (6-0), the 2013 Female Fighter of read news >>

TULSA — It might’ve been one of the worst-kept secrets in MMA, but Eddie Alvarez was looking for a change of scenery. He got it, and now he’s ready to prove he’s the world’s top lightweight.Filed und read news >>

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Top featherweight Chad Mendes spoke to the Brazilian media at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro about his upcoming bout with UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo on Oct. 25 in read news >>

Featherweight prospect Herbert Burns will enter the One FC cage for the third time on Friday, facing off against Hiroshige Tanaka at One FC 19 in Dubai, and he doesn’t want to lose time. The jiu-jits read news >>

• 12 hours ago

Isao Kobayashi is one of only a handful of top Japanese fighters to remain out of the clutches of the top promotions and the current lightweight King of Pancrase will be making his featherweight debu read news >>