Jared Downing Ready to Take Lance Palmer’s Spot as RFA’s Top Featherweight Prospect

• submit to reddit

Jared Downing-RFAHeading into Friday’s RFA 8 show at 9-1, featherweight Jared “Demon Eyes” Downing looks to be one of several prospects on the card that could possibly take a step to the next level with a solid performance on the show.

Even though he’s highly regarded, Downing continues to fight like he has something to prove, even if it means facing larger opposition like he’s done recently.

“I feel happy with my performances (in 2012),” said Downing.” I got to go with a lot of heavier guys and I feel that even at the heavier weight, I felt explosive and had strength like I had at 145 pounds.

“The bigger guys kind of got to me a little more than I had hoped for, but I definitely felt comfortable in those fights and doing what I wanted at that moment.”

In his more natural division at featherweight, Downing told MMAWeekly.com that he is more dangerous.

“I feel good at 145 and I have a speed advantage and a way bigger advantage in my strength and explosiveness,” he said.

Already a solid ground fighter, Downing’s most recent work has been on sharpening his striking.

“I’ve been working on my stand-up game to make it more vicious,” he said. “It’s something that I wanted to get more comfortable at.

“I thought it would be something that with my takedown defense it was something I should work on a lot more because I’m comfortable with my takedowns and ground game already.”

Downing’s developing skills will need to be at their peak Friday night at RFA 8 on AXS TV, when he takes on fellow top prospect Lance “The Party” Palmer.

“I think I am a bad match-up for him, so just applying my game and I will do just fine,” said Downing. “I’ll just keep doing what I’ve always done.

“I won’t fight his game. I will apply pressure and fight my fight.”

In a bout that could very well turn out to be a candidate for Fight of the Year, a win or at least a solid performance could take Downing to the next level.

“I’m not sure why it’s Palmer who is going to make this next transition for me,” said Downing. “But I feel with my record after beating him will definitely help.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Undefeated professional featherweight Mark "The Pride of Bloomfield" Cherico did his best to make his rise to MMA stardom as unlikely as possible. When you look at Cherico's combined amateur and professional record—15-0, 14 finishes, nine in the first round—you're convinced he comes from a storied background in combat sports. Maybe he wrestled at a Division I college. Maybe he's been kickboxing since he could walk. Maybe he took private Brazilian jiu-jitsu lessons as a pre-teen, logging hours ev read news >>

Top UFC featherweight title contender Chad Mendes continues to wage a war of words with current champion Jose Aldo as he awaits his second crack at championship gold. During an appearance on Monday's edition of Sherdog Radio Network's "Beatdown" show, "Money" flat out called Aldo a user of performance-enhancing drugs, questioning the timing of his recent injury. “I feel like this happens to me a lot, like I have a curse or something. It sucks,” Mendes said about UFC 176 being cancelled. “I defin read news >>

After an extensive amateur career, women’s 115-pound prospect Katie Howard turned pro this year with solid results so far. Her next step is at Saturday's CageSport in Washington. read news >>

Top UFC featherweight competitor Cub Swanson took a couple of jabs at Conor McGregor and revealed that he doubts the Irishman will ever live up to the hype he generated. Diego Brandao is not the only featherweight coming into hostile territory this weekend, as his teammate Cub Swanson also made the trip across the pond to serve as the Brazilian's cornerman. Although the focus is on preparing Brandao for his five-round main event on Saturday, Swanson couldn't help but direct a few choice words at read news >>

Top welterweight prospect Gunnar Nelson took on Zak Cummings in the co-main event of UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao in Dublin, Ireland. The last time Zak Cummings fought in the UFC, he ended the undefeated streak of Yan Cabral. Tonight in Dublin, Ireland he had the chance to do that again versus Icelandic standout and grappling wizard Gunnar Nelson in the night's co-main event. In round 1, the two combatants spent their time largely in a striking battle. Nelson, placed in his usual karate read news >>

DUBLIN – Although featherweight Conor McGregor is shooting for the moon just three fights into his octagon career, UFC President Dana White isn’t keen on letting up-and-comers bite off more than they can chew. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

The UFC has signed one of the best young stars coming out of Japan in Yuta 'Ulka' Sasaki, he is set to make his debut in Macau this August. When you ask Japanese insiders who are the top young prospects in the country, they are most likely to be in unison saying names such as Kyoji Horiguchi, Michinori Tanaka and Yuta Sasaki. The first two have already started their UFC careers with impressive wins, and it looks like Sasaki is going to be joining them in the big leagues soon. Ulka (or Uruka), as read news >>

Conor McGregor wants to jump the line in the UFC featherweight division. As you might expect in a case like this, that's not going to happen without a fight. Before, during and after McGregor's stirring first-round TKO of Diego Brandao at UFC Fight Night 46 in Dublin Saturday, a new and very dangerous challenger revealed himself to the Irish sensation: young up-and-comer Dustin "The Diamond" Poirier. On Monday, Poirier took his challenge to a new level, crushing McGregor's UFC bona fides down th read news >>

• a day ago

Top middleweight prospect Scott Askham will get a tough assignment in his UFC debut on October 4, as he faces off with surging veteran Magnus Cedenblad in the Swede's hometown of Stockholm... read news >>