Jared Downing Ready to Take Lance Palmer’s Spot as RFA’s Top Featherweight Prospect

Jared Downing-RFAHeading into Friday’s RFA 8 show at 9-1, featherweight Jared “Demon Eyes” Downing looks to be one of several prospects on the card that could possibly take a step to the next level with a solid performance on the show.

Even though he’s highly regarded, Downing continues to fight like he has something to prove, even if it means facing larger opposition like he’s done recently.

“I feel happy with my performances (in 2012),” said Downing.” I got to go with a lot of heavier guys and I feel that even at the heavier weight, I felt explosive and had strength like I had at 145 pounds.

“The bigger guys kind of got to me a little more than I had hoped for, but I definitely felt comfortable in those fights and doing what I wanted at that moment.”

In his more natural division at featherweight, Downing told MMAWeekly.com that he is more dangerous.

“I feel good at 145 and I have a speed advantage and a way bigger advantage in my strength and explosiveness,” he said.

Already a solid ground fighter, Downing’s most recent work has been on sharpening his striking.

“I’ve been working on my stand-up game to make it more vicious,” he said. “It’s something that I wanted to get more comfortable at.

“I thought it would be something that with my takedown defense it was something I should work on a lot more because I’m comfortable with my takedowns and ground game already.”

Downing’s developing skills will need to be at their peak Friday night at RFA 8 on AXS TV, when he takes on fellow top prospect Lance “The Party” Palmer.

“I think I am a bad match-up for him, so just applying my game and I will do just fine,” said Downing. “I’ll just keep doing what I’ve always done.

“I won’t fight his game. I will apply pressure and fight my fight.”

In a bout that could very well turn out to be a candidate for Fight of the Year, a win or at least a solid performance could take Downing to the next level.

“I’m not sure why it’s Palmer who is going to make this next transition for me,” said Downing. “But I feel with my record after beating him will definitely help.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Singapore's Amir Khan is ready to debut at ONE FC: Rise of the Kingdom and show the world that he's ready for the biggest stages of the sport. read news >>

Wanting to forget the boxing match that was their first fight, Patricio Pitbull plans to go all-MMA on Pat Curran and take the Bellator featherweight championship. read news >>

Adrien Broner went all 12 rounds against top prospect Emanuel Taylor last night (Sat., Sept. 6, 2014) inside the U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio. When the dust settled and the smoke cleared, "The read news >>

UFC featherweight Conor McGregor has a Pay-Per-View date with Dustin Poirier this Saturday at UFC 178, but he's happy to talk about who he plans on fighting next. Speaking with media members in Las V read news >>

Isao Kobayashi is one of only a handful of top Japanese fighters to remain out of the clutches of the top promotions and the current lightweight King of Pancrase will be making his featherweight debu read news >>

Undefeated featherweight Charles Rosa seems primed for a move to the big show, but not so long ago he was just a tough kid from Boston, unknowingly challenging a UFC featherweight to an ill-advised s read news >>

After a lengthy dispute over a contract he did not sign, Lowen Tynanes and KOTC have made amends, and the highly touted prospect will be returning to competition this October. As we first reported ea read news >>

Adrien Broner will collide with top prospect Emanuel Taylor tonight (Sat., Sept. 6, 2014) at U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio. In addition, Lucas Matthysse will battle the unbeaten Roberto Ortiz, read news >>

Tim Kennedy wouldn't mind one bit if the UFC went back to its early tournament format, but this weekend at UFC 178, he has to narrow his focus to Yoel Romero. read news >>