Jared Downing-RFAHeading into Friday’s RFA 8 show at 9-1, featherweight Jared “Demon Eyes” Downing looks to be one of several prospects on the card that could possibly take a step to the next level with a solid performance on the show.

Even though he’s highly regarded, Downing continues to fight like he has something to prove, even if it means facing larger opposition like he’s done recently.

“I feel happy with my performances (in 2012),” said Downing.” I got to go with a lot of heavier guys and I feel that even at the heavier weight, I felt explosive and had strength like I had at 145 pounds.

“The bigger guys kind of got to me a little more than I had hoped for, but I definitely felt comfortable in those fights and doing what I wanted at that moment.”

In his more natural division at featherweight, Downing told MMAWeekly.com that he is more dangerous.

“I feel good at 145 and I have a speed advantage and a way bigger advantage in my strength and explosiveness,” he said.

Already a solid ground fighter, Downing’s most recent work has been on sharpening his striking.

“I’ve been working on my stand-up game to make it more vicious,” he said. “It’s something that I wanted to get more comfortable at.

“I thought it would be something that with my takedown defense it was something I should work on a lot more because I’m comfortable with my takedowns and ground game already.”

Downing’s developing skills will need to be at their peak Friday night at RFA 8 on AXS TV, when he takes on fellow top prospect Lance “The Party” Palmer.

“I think I am a bad match-up for him, so just applying my game and I will do just fine,” said Downing. “I’ll just keep doing what I’ve always done.

“I won’t fight his game. I will apply pressure and fight my fight.”

In a bout that could very well turn out to be a candidate for Fight of the Year, a win or at least a solid performance could take Downing to the next level.

“I’m not sure why it’s Palmer who is going to make this next transition for me,” said Downing. “But I feel with my record after beating him will definitely help.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

From Around the Web

Marcin Held in the penultimate spot to make 2015 all about Poland

Marcin Held just turned 23 years old in January, yet with 23 professional fights -- including four last year alone -- there are times when he feels much older. Such as when he speaks to your average read news >>

Chad Mendes in ‘Weird Spot’ Following UFC Fight Night 63 Win

Chad Mendes reflects on his UFC Fight Night 63 win and the potential of fighting teammate Urijah Faber in the near future. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63: Chad Mendes, Dustin Poirier earn performance bonuses

On a rare afternoon affair and in a big spot to make some noise atop the UFC's featherweight division, Chad Mendes made a strong case for another title shot. And his first round TKO victory over Rica read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 Weigh-in Results: Mendes and Lamas On Point for ‘True No. 1 Contender Spot’

UFC Fight Night 63 weigh-in results from Fairfax, Va., where Chad Mendes and Ricardo Lamas will square off in Saturday's main event. read news >>

Efrain Escudero Draws Drew Dober at UFC 188 in Mexico City

Efrain Escudero continues his third run through the UFC with a spot opposite Drew Dober upon the promotion's return trip to Mexico City. read news >>

Report: Lance Palmer defends featherweight title vs. Chris Horodecki at WSOF 21 in June

Team Alpha Male’s most recent champion will put his belt up for grabs for the first time in June. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, WSOF read news >>

Lance Palmer targeted for featherweight title defense against Chris Horodecki at WSOF 21

World Series of Fighting 21 is getting another title fight. Lance Palmer has verbally agreed to defend his featherweight belt against Chris Horodecki at WSOF 21 on June 5 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, March 24: Maia maintains top-10 spot

Despite this past weekend’s UFC event, this week’s USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA rankings saw little movement.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>