Jared Downing Ready to Take Lance Palmer’s Spot as RFA’s Top Featherweight Prospect

• submit to reddit

Jared Downing-RFAHeading into Friday’s RFA 8 show at 9-1, featherweight Jared “Demon Eyes” Downing looks to be one of several prospects on the card that could possibly take a step to the next level with a solid performance on the show.

Even though he’s highly regarded, Downing continues to fight like he has something to prove, even if it means facing larger opposition like he’s done recently.

“I feel happy with my performances (in 2012),” said Downing.” I got to go with a lot of heavier guys and I feel that even at the heavier weight, I felt explosive and had strength like I had at 145 pounds.

“The bigger guys kind of got to me a little more than I had hoped for, but I definitely felt comfortable in those fights and doing what I wanted at that moment.”

In his more natural division at featherweight, Downing told MMAWeekly.com that he is more dangerous.

“I feel good at 145 and I have a speed advantage and a way bigger advantage in my strength and explosiveness,” he said.

Already a solid ground fighter, Downing’s most recent work has been on sharpening his striking.

“I’ve been working on my stand-up game to make it more vicious,” he said. “It’s something that I wanted to get more comfortable at.

“I thought it would be something that with my takedown defense it was something I should work on a lot more because I’m comfortable with my takedowns and ground game already.”

Downing’s developing skills will need to be at their peak Friday night at RFA 8 on AXS TV, when he takes on fellow top prospect Lance “The Party” Palmer.

“I think I am a bad match-up for him, so just applying my game and I will do just fine,” said Downing. “I’ll just keep doing what I’ve always done.

“I won’t fight his game. I will apply pressure and fight my fight.”

In a bout that could very well turn out to be a candidate for Fight of the Year, a win or at least a solid performance could take Downing to the next level.

“I’m not sure why it’s Palmer who is going to make this next transition for me,” said Downing. “But I feel with my record after beating him will definitely help.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

After a sour-tasting no-contest decision disrupted a three-fight winning streak, Yusup Saadulaev is ready to get back on track at ONE FC: War of Dragons on Friday. more

The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale fighters stepped on the scales on Saturday to make their bouts official for the second of back-to-back UFC events in Las Vegas this weekend. more

Cat Zingano is cleared and ready to fight, even if it means a short-notice headliner at next month’s UFC 176 event.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more

UFC women’s bantamweight Jessica Eye doesn’t buy in to champ Ronda Rousey’s explanation for why she beat Sara McMann.Filed under: News, UFC more

When a fighter loses a title fight, he usually has to go back to the drawing board, see what went wrong and figure out how to come back stronger. Some are able to do that very well and get back in title contention quickly. Others, like Frank Mir, don't do so well after a title loss. With more divisions and fighters now than ever before, there are far more title fights and far more title contenders. Some contenders are ready for a second or maybe even a third shot at the belt. Let's see who they more

And it's all thanks to the "cheapskates" who don't but the events, according to "The California Kid." If you thought Urijah Faber was upset that he was relegated to the prelims and denied a spot on the main card of this weekend's (Sat., July 5, 2014) UFC 175 pay-per-view (PPV) event, you're sadly mistaken. In fact, "The California Kid" asked to headline the preliminary card -- which airs on FOX Sports 1 -- opposite Alex Caceres. Why? Because more people will tune in to watch his free fight as op more

At UFC Fight Night 43, Jared Rosholt faced off against Soa Palelei in a heavyweight fight in the co-main event. After three rounds, Rosholt was declared the winner by unanimous decision—30-27 on all scorecards. Rosholt has now won seven in a row, including three in a row in the UFC. His overall record for his career is 11-1, with the lone loss coming from Derrick Lewis, who was successful in his recent UFC debut. Palelei had been ranked No. 14 going into this fight, and a win over a ranked oppon more

He’s won seven straight fights. He’s now 3-0 in the UFC. And in a division that has exactly zero top 10 fighters who are younger than 30, Jared Rosholt knows an opportunity slipped through his hands.Filed under: News, UFC more

AUCKLAND, New Zealand – Jared Rosholt used a dominant wrestling attack to get past Soa Palelei.Filed under: News, UFC more