Jared Downing Ready to Take Lance Palmer’s Spot as RFA’s Top Featherweight Prospect

Jared Downing-RFAHeading into Friday’s RFA 8 show at 9-1, featherweight Jared “Demon Eyes” Downing looks to be one of several prospects on the card that could possibly take a step to the next level with a solid performance on the show.

Even though he’s highly regarded, Downing continues to fight like he has something to prove, even if it means facing larger opposition like he’s done recently.

“I feel happy with my performances (in 2012),” said Downing.” I got to go with a lot of heavier guys and I feel that even at the heavier weight, I felt explosive and had strength like I had at 145 pounds.

“The bigger guys kind of got to me a little more than I had hoped for, but I definitely felt comfortable in those fights and doing what I wanted at that moment.”

In his more natural division at featherweight, Downing told MMAWeekly.com that he is more dangerous.

“I feel good at 145 and I have a speed advantage and a way bigger advantage in my strength and explosiveness,” he said.

Already a solid ground fighter, Downing’s most recent work has been on sharpening his striking.

“I’ve been working on my stand-up game to make it more vicious,” he said. “It’s something that I wanted to get more comfortable at.

“I thought it would be something that with my takedown defense it was something I should work on a lot more because I’m comfortable with my takedowns and ground game already.”

Downing’s developing skills will need to be at their peak Friday night at RFA 8 on AXS TV, when he takes on fellow top prospect Lance “The Party” Palmer.

“I think I am a bad match-up for him, so just applying my game and I will do just fine,” said Downing. “I’ll just keep doing what I’ve always done.

“I won’t fight his game. I will apply pressure and fight my fight.”

In a bout that could very well turn out to be a candidate for Fight of the Year, a win or at least a solid performance could take Downing to the next level.

“I’m not sure why it’s Palmer who is going to make this next transition for me,” said Downing. “But I feel with my record after beating him will definitely help.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Newly minted WSOF featherweight champion Rick Glenn sees two paths for his immediate future in the promotion. One offers competitive satisfaction while the other might be more personal.Filed under: N read news >>

Top 10 bantamweight Iuri Alcantara meets young prospect Russell Doane this September in Brazil. Fresh off of a swift knockout win in Germany, Brazil's Iuri Alcantara returns to his home country for a read news >>

Top middleweight prospect Scott Askham will get a tough assignment in his UFC debut on October 4, as he faces off with surging veteran Magnus Cedenblad in the Swede's hometown of Stockholm... read news >>

Following another wild month of televised cagefighting, the SB Nation combat sports brain trust was ordered asked to tally votes and come up with the 10 best featherweight fighters in mixed martial a read news >>

Top welterweight prospect Brandon Thatch today announced he’s withdrawn from a planned UFC Fight Night 49 fight with Jordan Mein – and he provided graphic evidence of the cause.Filed under: Featured, read news >>

If this was a list ranking mixed martial arts' top pound-for-pound self-promoters, we'd likely talk about how Irish featherweight Conor McGregor has taken over the top spot in the wake of Chael Sonne read news >>

Former top UFC featherweight contender Josh Grispi was arrested this past Friday for assault and battery and multiple firearms charges, according to police records.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The UFC featherweight division is one of the most talent-rich in all of mixed martial arts. One fighter whose skills may be flying under the radar a bit is Dennis Bermudez, who holds the third-longes read news >>

Ryan Bader is not ready to relinquish his Top 10 position in the light heavyweight rankings. At UFC Fight Night 47, Bader relied on his wrestling to shut down Ovince Saint Preux and claim a decision read news >>