Jared Downing-RFAHeading into Friday’s RFA 8 show at 9-1, featherweight Jared “Demon Eyes” Downing looks to be one of several prospects on the card that could possibly take a step to the next level with a solid performance on the show.

Even though he’s highly regarded, Downing continues to fight like he has something to prove, even if it means facing larger opposition like he’s done recently.

“I feel happy with my performances (in 2012),” said Downing.” I got to go with a lot of heavier guys and I feel that even at the heavier weight, I felt explosive and had strength like I had at 145 pounds.

“The bigger guys kind of got to me a little more than I had hoped for, but I definitely felt comfortable in those fights and doing what I wanted at that moment.”

In his more natural division at featherweight, Downing told MMAWeekly.com that he is more dangerous.

“I feel good at 145 and I have a speed advantage and a way bigger advantage in my strength and explosiveness,” he said.

Already a solid ground fighter, Downing’s most recent work has been on sharpening his striking.

“I’ve been working on my stand-up game to make it more vicious,” he said. “It’s something that I wanted to get more comfortable at.

“I thought it would be something that with my takedown defense it was something I should work on a lot more because I’m comfortable with my takedowns and ground game already.”

Downing’s developing skills will need to be at their peak Friday night at RFA 8 on AXS TV, when he takes on fellow top prospect Lance “The Party” Palmer.

“I think I am a bad match-up for him, so just applying my game and I will do just fine,” said Downing. “I’ll just keep doing what I’ve always done.

“I won’t fight his game. I will apply pressure and fight my fight.”

In a bout that could very well turn out to be a candidate for Fight of the Year, a win or at least a solid performance could take Downing to the next level.

“I’m not sure why it’s Palmer who is going to make this next transition for me,” said Downing. “But I feel with my record after beating him will definitely help.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

A trip to American Top Team saved Alex Oliveira's spot at UFC Fight Night 70

Tonight’s UFC Fight Night 70 event was forced to endure a myriad of lineup changes when 12 different fighters were unable to secure a visa in time for the card. So how did Brazilian Alex Oliveira avo read news >>

UFC Fight Night 70 Weigh-in Results: Machida and Romero Spot On, but One Fighter was 3 Pounds Over

Neither Lyoto Machida nor Yoel Romero had any trouble making weight, but one undercard fighter missed the mark by three pounds. read news >>

Tito Ortiz: I've cleared a spot for Liam McGeary's Bellator title

ST. LOUIS – Bellator light heavyweight Tito Ortiz has a space in his office for all of his belts. Of course, all of them are from the UFC. Now he’s trying to add a Bellator title to his collection.Fi read news >>

WSOF 21 results & highlights: Palmer retains, Ivanov takes HW title

See highlights from Lance Palmer's submission win over Chris Horodecki and Blagoi Ivanov's over Smealinho Rama at WSOF 21. Lance Palmer def. Chris Horodecki via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:28 read news >>

Matt Mitrione vs Ben Rothwell full fight video preview: UFC Fight Night 68

Two massive heavyweights, but only one spot in the division top 10. Whether or not Ben Rothwell stay there -- or trades places with Matt Mitrione -- all depends on who wins their 265-pound showdown i read news >>

WSOF 21: Lance Palmer vs. Chris Horodecki video highlights

Lance Palmer retained his featherweight title in Friday’s WSOF 21 main event with a quick submission win over challenger Chris Horodecki. Check out the video highlights.Filed under: Featured, News, V read news >>

WSOF 21 recap: Lance Palmer and Blagoi Ivanov pick up finishes in Edmonton title fights

The World Series of Fighting 21: "Palmer vs. Horodecki" card took place last night (Fri. June 5, 2015) at the Edmonton Expo Centre in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The main event saw featherweight champ read news >>

Highlights! Watch Lance Palmer retain title, submit Chris Horodecki at WSOF 21 in Edmonton

Team Alpha Male has long been lauded for having the best lighter weight camp in all of mixed martial arts (MMA), and World Series of Fighting (WSOF) featherweight champ Lance Palmer did his best to c read news >>

WSOF 21 results: Lance Palmer chokes out Chris Horodecki to retain featherweight belt

Lance Palmer made it look easy. The World Series of Fighting featherweight champion outlanded Chris Horodecki standing, took him down twice and finished with a rear-naked choke at 4:28 of the first r read news >>

WSOF FW Champion Lance Palmer Talks Horodecki, Future Opponents, UFC Deal

It's truly not cockiness. Lance Palmer is just being honest. The World Series of Fighting (WSOF) featherweight champ talks about his upcoming tilt against longtime veteran Chris Horodecki with a tran read news >>