Jake Shields at UFC 144 press conferenceFollowing his fight and win over Ed Herman at UFC 150, Jake Shields tested positive for a banned substance and has been suspended six-months by the Colorado Office of Boxing.

Shields released the information on Friday through his management company at Authentic Sports Management.

Pursuant to health laws in the state of Colorado, the commission there is unable to release drug test results. Similar laws exist in states such as Pennsylvania and New Jersey where medical regulations and privacy laws won’t allow the athletic commissions to release information on drug related suspensions.

According to Shields’ statement he took a “prohibited substance”, although he did not give detail if it was a performance enhancing drug, or what is called a “drug of abuse” such as marijuana.

Shields admits to the mistake and hopes to bounce back when the suspension is lifted in 2013.

“Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules.

This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC and I have apologized to them and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career.

I accept the Boxing Commission’s decision for a six-month suspension, which will expire in February. I ask that you accept my apology. I will be back fighting soon, and hope that the fans of MMA will support me until that time.”

The six month suspension running from the date of UFC 151 would put Shields eligibility to return to action after Feb 11, 2013.

Igor Pokrajac vs. Ed Herman slated for UFC 209 in Sin City

The lineup for March’s UFC 209 event continues to take shape.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Brock Lesnar Suspended 1 Year by USADA for Doping: Latest Details and Reaction

Brock Lesnar's brief return to the UFC last July has cost him once again, as the former heavyweight champion has been suspended for one year by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). Per Marc read news >>

UFC heavyweight Justin Ledet 'rolling with the punches' but sees big things on horizon

Justin Ledet made his UFC debut just five months ago, but he’s already racked up a pair of octagon wins. At UFC Fight Night 104, he’ll look for a third UFC victory, and big things could come quickly read news >>

Conor McGregor 'not in my plans for the next 10 months,' says UFC President Dana White

In spite of Conor McGregor’s recent clues that we might be seeing him sooner than originally expected, UFC president Dana White is still not counting on the lightweight champion for ten months.Filed read news >>

Amanda Nunes vs. Ronda Rousey at UFC 207: The Complete Breakdown

More than 13 months after suffering the first loss of her career, former bantamweight queenpin Ronda Rousey returns to action against current champion Amanda Nunes with the belt on the line. It's not read news >>

UFC, 'TUF' vet Martin Svensson announces retirement 3 months after calling for Cage Warriors title shot

Only three months after winning in his return to the Cage Warriors promotion and calling for a lightweight title shot, Martin Svensson says he is retiring from MMA. Filed under: Cage Warriors, News read news >>

Yair Rodriguez, Two Others Suspended Indefinitely Following UFC Phoenix | MMAWeekly.com

Yair Rodriguez made short work of returning legend BJ Penn, but he still received what could be a lengthy medical suspension following the fight. read news >>

Cody Garbrandt Calls for 'Advanced Drug Testing' Before TJ Dillashaw Fight (video) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

UFC bantamweight champ Cody Garbrandt discusses his win over Dominick Cruz at UFC 207 and coaching on The Ultimate Fighter against TJ Dillashaw. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Brock Lesnar's Future with UFC

The UFC suspended Brock Lesnar for one year and fined him $250,000 after it was revealed he failed two drug tests prior to his win over Mark Hunt at UFC 200. It appears his time in the Octagon may be read news >>