Jake Shields at UFC 144 press conferenceFollowing his fight and win over Ed Herman at UFC 150, Jake Shields tested positive for a banned substance and has been suspended six-months by the Colorado Office of Boxing.

Shields released the information on Friday through his management company at Authentic Sports Management.

Pursuant to health laws in the state of Colorado, the commission there is unable to release drug test results. Similar laws exist in states such as Pennsylvania and New Jersey where medical regulations and privacy laws won’t allow the athletic commissions to release information on drug related suspensions.

According to Shields’ statement he took a “prohibited substance”, although he did not give detail if it was a performance enhancing drug, or what is called a “drug of abuse” such as marijuana.

Shields admits to the mistake and hopes to bounce back when the suspension is lifted in 2013.

“Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules.

This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC and I have apologized to them and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career.

I accept the Boxing Commission’s decision for a six-month suspension, which will expire in February. I ask that you accept my apology. I will be back fighting soon, and hope that the fans of MMA will support me until that time.”

The six month suspension running from the date of UFC 151 would put Shields eligibility to return to action after Feb 11, 2013.

Alistair Overeem Disappointed, Not Surprised, Brock Lesnar Failed Drug Test (UFC 203 Video)

UFC heavyweight title challenger Alistair Overeem is disappointed, but not surprised that Brock Lesnar had trouble with drug testing. read news >>

Five months, six fights - no problem for Macedo

Veronica Macedo has fought six times in the last five months since she turned pro. On Saturday Macedo makes her UFC debut against Ashlee Evans-Smith at Fight Night Hamburg. read news >>

Arlovski taking fight very serious, wants KO

Four months later, Andrei Arlovski is back. Back in the cage and back in the old world, where he is once again set to headline a European city’s UFC debut. This time: Hamburg, Germany on Saturday, Se read news >>

USADA Determines Li Jingliang’s Positive Test Result Came from Contaminated Meat

On Aug. 23, welterweight Li Jingliang was notified by USADA of a potential policy violation stemming from his July 8 fight against Anton Zafir. read news >>

Gustafsson vs. Blachowicz: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 93

It was 11 months in the making for Alexander Gustafsson, but when he finally returned to the cage at UFC Fight Night 93 on Saturday against Jan Blachowicz, he did so in style. The popular Swede went read news >>

Cory Sandhagen Thinks RFA 43 Opponent Clay Wimer is Someone He Can KO | MMAWeekly.com

After a couple months off, Croy Sandhagen returns to the RFA on Friday in Broomfield, Colo., to take on Clay Wimer in a main card 145-pound bout. read news >>

Jon Fitch vs. Jake Shields Headlines WSOF 34 | MMAWeekly.com

WSOF officially announced on Tuesday the highly anticipated welterweight title fight between reigning champion Jon Fitch and No. 1 contender Jake Shields. read news >>

Time to pay attention to Derek Brunson

Derek Brunson has needed just over five minutes combined to settle Ed Herman, Sam Alvey and Roan Carneiro in his last three outings, and he rolls into his co-main event matchup with Uriah Hall this w read news >>

Cain Velasquez: Who is Next? | MMAWeekly.com

It's been two months since Cain Velasquez returned to action at UFC 200, where he stopped Travis Browne. So who is next for the former heavyweight champion? read news >>

Following in the Footsteps of Donald Cerrone and Neil Magny, Sam Alvey Takes His Fourth Fight in Five Months | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Jason da Silva-USA TODAY Sports For all their skill and dominance, fighters like Cain Velasquez, Chris Weidman and Dominick Cruz often find themselves on the receiving end of some fairly ven read news >>