Jake Shields at UFC 144 press conferenceFollowing his fight and win over Ed Herman at UFC 150, Jake Shields tested positive for a banned substance and has been suspended six-months by the Colorado Office of Boxing.

Shields released the information on Friday through his management company at Authentic Sports Management.

Pursuant to health laws in the state of Colorado, the commission there is unable to release drug test results. Similar laws exist in states such as Pennsylvania and New Jersey where medical regulations and privacy laws won’t allow the athletic commissions to release information on drug related suspensions.

According to Shields’ statement he took a “prohibited substance”, although he did not give detail if it was a performance enhancing drug, or what is called a “drug of abuse” such as marijuana.

Shields admits to the mistake and hopes to bounce back when the suspension is lifted in 2013.

“Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules.

This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC and I have apologized to them and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career.

I accept the Boxing Commission’s decision for a six-month suspension, which will expire in February. I ask that you accept my apology. I will be back fighting soon, and hope that the fans of MMA will support me until that time.”

The six month suspension running from the date of UFC 151 would put Shields eligibility to return to action after Feb 11, 2013.

Jeremy Stephens Video: Facts are Renan Barao’s Camp is Losing Since USADA Drug Testing

Heading into his showdown with Renan Barao, Jeremy Stephens didn't accuse the Brazilian fighter of outright doping in the past, but the insinuation was there. read news >>

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier Firing Up the Hype Machine Well Ahead of UFC 200

As the months dwindle down to weeks, UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier and interim beltholder Jon Jones have begun to ramp up their trash talk. read news >>

Urijah Faber Big Supporter of the New Drug Testing and Weight Cutting Rules (UFC 199 Video)

Count Urijah Faber as one of the fighters that is a big supporter of recent changes that include surprise drug tests and stricter guidelines for weight cutting. read news >>

UFC Grants Brock Lesnar A Special Exemption on Drug Testing

If you're a professional fighter coming out of retirement, you must notify the UFC and its drug-testing partner, the United States Anti-Doping Agency, four months in advance. Unless, that is, the UFC read news >>

Mark Hunt Comments on Brock Lesnar's Drug Testing Exemption

It didn't take long for the war of words between Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt to go from professionally combative to personal. Hunt, speaking to UFC Fight Week on Fox Sports, accused Lesnar of being on read news >>

Brock Lesnar Will Be Drug Tested Before UFC 200, but Concerns Still Linger

At least one person close to the situation is weighing in on the decision to excuse Brock Lesnar from a mandatory drug-testing period so he can fight at UFC 200. Mark Hunt, who will be Lesnar’s oppon read news >>

Chatri Sityodtong: ‘ONE Championship On Track to Cross the US$1 Billion Valuation Mark in 12-18 Months’

Since launching in 2011 ONE Championship has put on 42 events in ten different countries. The organization has signed up some of the best fighters in the world. read news >>

UFC Featherweight Contender Chad Mendes Breaks Silence, Owns Failed USADA Drug Test

UFC featherweight contender Chad Mendes broke his silence about his anti-doping violation on Monday and said that the "owns" the mistake. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Beyond the Fight: Brock Lesnar’s Return and USADA Drug Testing Rules

• a day ago

Chael Sonnen discusses former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar's UFC 200 return and USAD drug testing rules during the latest edition of "Beyond the Fight." read news >>