Jake Shields at UFC 144 press conferenceFollowing his fight and win over Ed Herman at UFC 150, Jake Shields tested positive for a banned substance and has been suspended six-months by the Colorado Office of Boxing.

Shields released the information on Friday through his management company at Authentic Sports Management.

Pursuant to health laws in the state of Colorado, the commission there is unable to release drug test results. Similar laws exist in states such as Pennsylvania and New Jersey where medical regulations and privacy laws won’t allow the athletic commissions to release information on drug related suspensions.

According to Shields’ statement he took a “prohibited substance”, although he did not give detail if it was a performance enhancing drug, or what is called a “drug of abuse” such as marijuana.

Shields admits to the mistake and hopes to bounce back when the suspension is lifted in 2013.

“Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules.

This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC and I have apologized to them and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career.

I accept the Boxing Commission’s decision for a six-month suspension, which will expire in February. I ask that you accept my apology. I will be back fighting soon, and hope that the fans of MMA will support me until that time.”

The six month suspension running from the date of UFC 151 would put Shields eligibility to return to action after Feb 11, 2013.

Brock Lesnar Refuses to Rule Out UFC Return

Though he's currently embroiled in trouble resulting from positive drug tests, WWE Superstar Brock Lesnar hasn't written off a possible return to the Octagon. read news >>

Diaz vs. McGregor 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

After months of buildup, Conor McGregor has his redemption. The Notorious eked out a majority decision over Nate Diaz in the main event at UFC 202 on Saturday. MMAjunkie tweeted out the scorecards: M read news >>

VIDEO: Nate Diaz Vapes Marijuana (CBD) at UFC 202 Press Conference

So we're not entirely sure when Nate Diaz's post-fight drug test is, but he apparently isn't worried about it. read news >>

After Action Review: Did Conor McGregor Actually Beat Nate Diaz at UFC 202?

• a day ago

For 31 months the great Conor McGregor seemed all but invincible. Five top flight opponents entered the cage with him. Before the end of the second stanza all five had fallen to his mighty hands. Thr read news >>

Brock Lesnar’s Temporary Suspension Extended; Prohibited Substances Revealed

• a day ago

Brock Lesnar's temporary suspension for twice testing positive to a prohibited substance was extended by the Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday. read news >>

For UFC Women's Bantamweight Division, How Many Upsets Are Too Many?

A little bit of chaos can be fun. For eight months or so, it was pretty easy to make the case that the UFC women’s bantamweight division was benefiting from its recent bout of unpredictability. Holly read news >>

Brock Lesnar Won’t Be Punished by WWE for UFC-Related Failed Drug Tests

Brock Lesnar the UFC fighter faces some stiff penalties for testing positive for a banned substance. Brock Lesnar the WWE Superstar? Not so much. read news >>

Knockout Radio LIVE: Ian McCall and Ed Herman, Plus a UFC 201 Preview

Tune in Wednesday, July 27, at 6 p.m. EST, for Knockout Radio LIVE! Randy Harris and the crew talk to Ian McCall and Ed Herman, and preview UFC 201. read news >>

Islam Makhachev Cleared in Testing Positive for Meldonium Prior to UFC on FOX 19

After having his UFC on FOX 19 bout cancelled in April, Islam Makhachev on Wednesday was found "not at fault" for ingesting a prohibited substance. read news >>

Knockout Radio Podcast: Ian McCall and Ed Herman, Plus a UFC 201 Preview

Join Knockout Radio for the podcast featuring Ian "Uncle Creepy" McCall and Ed Herman, and a review of UFC on FOX 20 and a preview of UFC 201. read news >>