Jake Shields at UFC 144 press conferenceFollowing his fight and win over Ed Herman at UFC 150, Jake Shields tested positive for a banned substance and has been suspended six-months by the Colorado Office of Boxing.

Shields released the information on Friday through his management company at Authentic Sports Management.

Pursuant to health laws in the state of Colorado, the commission there is unable to release drug test results. Similar laws exist in states such as Pennsylvania and New Jersey where medical regulations and privacy laws won’t allow the athletic commissions to release information on drug related suspensions.

According to Shields’ statement he took a “prohibited substance”, although he did not give detail if it was a performance enhancing drug, or what is called a “drug of abuse” such as marijuana.

Shields admits to the mistake and hopes to bounce back when the suspension is lifted in 2013.

“Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules.

This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC and I have apologized to them and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career.

I accept the Boxing Commission’s decision for a six-month suspension, which will expire in February. I ask that you accept my apology. I will be back fighting soon, and hope that the fans of MMA will support me until that time.”

The six month suspension running from the date of UFC 151 would put Shields eligibility to return to action after Feb 11, 2013.

BJ Penn Suspended 6 Months by USADA for Anti-Doping Policy Violation

BJ Penn has received a six-month ban from the United States Anti-Doping Agency after he admitted to using a prohibited "intravenous infusion." In a statement released on Monday, the USADA revealed th read news >>

Two UFC Veterans Allege Jon Jones Tested Positive for Estrogen Blockers

Rashad Evans and Chael Sonnen allege that Jon Jones tested positive for estrogen blockers in the drug test that led to him being pulled from UFC 200. read news >>

Brock Lesnar’s UFC 200 Drug Test Positive for Same Substance as Out-of-Competition Test

The UFC on Tuesday was notified that Brock Lesnar's UFC 200 fight-night drug test was positive for the same substance as his June 28 out-of-competition drug test. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Allegedly Tested Positive for Same Estrogen Blocker as Jon Jones

According to a report from the Los Angeles Times, Brock Lesnar allegedly tested positive for one of the same substances as Jon Jones. read news >>

Jon Jones’ NFL Star Brother, Arthur Jones, Suspended for PEDs Violation

• a day ago

On Friday, Jon Jones' brother, NFL star Arthur Jones, was suspended for violating that league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs. read news >>

Jon Jones Reportedly Won't Be Fined by UFC for Failed Drug Test

• 13 hours ago

Jon "Bones" Jones is in the midst of an indefinite suspension after failing a drug test prior to UFC 200, but the former light heavyweight champion will not be fined by the UFC. According to Marc Rai read news >>

Brock Lesnar, Jon Jones Reportedly Won't Be Fined by UFC for Failed Drug Tests

• 13 hours ago

Brock Lesnar and Jon "Bones" Jones each failed drug tests in relation to UFC 200, but neither fighter will be fined by the UFC. According to Marc Raimondi of MMA Fighting, UFC senior vice president o read news >>

UFC Fight Night 91 Medical Suspensions: Michael McDonald Sidelined for Two Months

Every fighter on the UFC Fight Night 91 event on Wednesday in Sioux Falls, S.D., was issued, at minimum, a precautionary medical suspension of 7 days. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Flagged for Anti-Doping Violation in Pre-UFC 200 Drug Test

Former UFC heavyweight champion and current WWE Superstar Brock Lesnar has been flagged by USADA for a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Notified of Potential Failed Drug Test: Latest Details and Comments

The UFC announced on Friday that Brock Lesnar, who secured a unanimous-decision victory over Mark Hunt at UFC 200 on Saturday, has been flagged by the United States Anti-Doping Agency for a potential read news >>