UFC middleweight Jake Shields Friday released a statement issuing an apology for using a banned substance ahead of his UFC 150 clash with Ed Herman. The decision has resulted in a six-month suspension, according to the fighter.

Shields, who previously challenged for the UFC welterweight title before returning to 185 pounds, did not specify in his statement for which substance he tested positive. The Colorado Office of Boxing did not release the UFC 150 test results to the public following the Aug. 11 event, which took place at the Pepsi Center in Denver. Shields’ statement reads:

“To my friends, fans and the UFC,

Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules.

This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC. I have apologized to them, and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career.

I accept the Boxing Commission's decision for a six-month suspension, which will expire in February. I ask that you accept my apology. I will be back fighting soon, and hope that the fans of MMA will support me until that time.”

Shields took a unanimous decision over Herman by controlling the lackluster contest both on the ground and in the clinch. The event was headlined by a lightweight title rematch between champion Benson Henderson and ex-titlist Frankie Edgar, in which Henderson retained his belt in a controversial, five-round split decision.

A 35-fight pro, Shields, 33, joined the UFC in 2010 after reigning as the Strikeforce middleweight king. The Californian has racked up a 3-2 record since entering the UFC fold, besting Martin Kampmann, Yoshihiro Akiyama and Herman, while stumbling against welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and Jake Ellenberger.

Conor McGregor 'not in my plans for the next 10 months,' says UFC President Dana White

In spite of Conor McGregor’s recent clues that we might be seeing him sooner than originally expected, UFC president Dana White is still not counting on the lightweight champion for ten months.Filed read news >>

Amanda Nunes: 'I'm Going to Make a Statement (UFC 207 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Amanda Nunes is ready to make another statement next week. "The Lioness" defends her title for the first time against former champ Ronda Rousey at UFC 207. read news >>

Brandon Thatch discusses losing skid and chance to rebound at UFC 207

DENVER – When Brandon Thatch had his 10-fight winning streak snapped by Benson Henderson in a “Fight of the Night” winner nearly two years ago, there was little shame. Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>

Ronda Rousey Releases Statement on Her UFC Future | MMAWeekly.com

Following a 48-second drubbing at the hands of bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes at UFC 207, Ronda Rousey released a statement about her future. read news >>

Amanda Nunes vs. Ronda Rousey at UFC 207: The Complete Breakdown

More than 13 months after suffering the first loss of her career, former bantamweight queenpin Ronda Rousey returns to action against current champion Amanda Nunes with the belt on the line. It's not read news >>

Brock Lesnar Suspended 1 Year by USADA for Doping: Latest Details and Reaction

Brock Lesnar's brief return to the UFC last July has cost him once again, as the former heavyweight champion has been suspended for one year by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). Per Marc read news >>

Cerrone on fight vs. Masvidal, McGregor and WWE

The UFC officially announced Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone’s homecoming fight in Denver against Jorge Masvidal for Jan. 28, but the knockout specialist was too busy to schedule a press conference. read news >>

UFC, 'TUF' vet Martin Svensson announces retirement 3 months after calling for Cage Warriors title shot

Only three months after winning in his return to the Cage Warriors promotion and calling for a lightweight title shot, Martin Svensson says he is retiring from MMA. Filed under: Cage Warriors, News read news >>

Cain Velasquez gives his side of the story on UFC 207 withdrawal

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez posted a statement on his official Facebook page to explain his side of the story on the cancelation of his rematch with fellow ex-champ Fabricio Werdum read news >>

UFC 207 Nunes vs. Rousey Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

Amanda Nunes made a statement at UFC 207, and Ronda Rousey was the pulpit. Nunes ousted the former dominant figure in just 48 seconds. The victory leaves a giant question mark on Rousey's future as w read news >>