UFC middleweight Jake Shields Friday released a statement issuing an apology for using a banned substance ahead of his UFC 150 clash with Ed Herman. The decision has resulted in a six-month suspension, according to the fighter.

Shields, who previously challenged for the UFC welterweight title before returning to 185 pounds, did not specify in his statement for which substance he tested positive. The Colorado Office of Boxing did not release the UFC 150 test results to the public following the Aug. 11 event, which took place at the Pepsi Center in Denver. Shields’ statement reads:

“To my friends, fans and the UFC,

Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules.

This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC. I have apologized to them, and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career.

I accept the Boxing Commission's decision for a six-month suspension, which will expire in February. I ask that you accept my apology. I will be back fighting soon, and hope that the fans of MMA will support me until that time.”

Shields took a unanimous decision over Herman by controlling the lackluster contest both on the ground and in the clinch. The event was headlined by a lightweight title rematch between champion Benson Henderson and ex-titlist Frankie Edgar, in which Henderson retained his belt in a controversial, five-round split decision.

A 35-fight pro, Shields, 33, joined the UFC in 2010 after reigning as the Strikeforce middleweight king. The Californian has racked up a 3-2 record since entering the UFC fold, besting Martin Kampmann, Yoshihiro Akiyama and Herman, while stumbling against welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and Jake Ellenberger.

Five months, six fights - no problem for Macedo

Veronica Macedo has fought six times in the last five months since she turned pro. On Saturday Macedo makes her UFC debut against Ashlee Evans-Smith at Fight Night Hamburg. read news >>

Arlovski taking fight very serious, wants KO

Four months later, Andrei Arlovski is back. Back in the cage and back in the old world, where he is once again set to headline a European city’s UFC debut. This time: Hamburg, Germany on Saturday, Se read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Q&A: Matt Hughes, Neil Magny and Karolina Kowalkiewicz Video Replay

Hall of Fame's Matt Hughes, Neil Magny, and Karolina Kowalkiewicz fielded questions prior to Friday's UFC Fight Night: Arlvoski vs. Barnett weigh-in. read news >>

Gustafsson vs. Blachowicz: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 93

It was 11 months in the making for Alexander Gustafsson, but when he finally returned to the cage at UFC Fight Night 93 on Saturday against Jan Blachowicz, he did so in style. The popular Swede went read news >>

Cory Sandhagen Thinks RFA 43 Opponent Clay Wimer is Someone He Can KO | MMAWeekly.com

After a couple months off, Croy Sandhagen returns to the RFA on Friday in Broomfield, Colo., to take on Clay Wimer in a main card 145-pound bout. read news >>

Cody Garbrandt UFC 203 Q&A Video Replay | MMAWeekly.com

Undefeated bantamweight Cody Garbrandt fielded questions from the fans in Cleveland prior to the UFC 203 weigh-in on Friday at Quicken Loans Arena. read news >>

UFC Statement on CB Dollaway

UFC announced that CB Dollaway has had to withdraw from his scheduled bout at UFC 203 due to an injury he suffered last night as a result of an elevator accident at a hotel in Cleveland. read news >>

Jon Fitch vs. Jake Shields Headlines WSOF 34 | MMAWeekly.com

WSOF officially announced on Tuesday the highly anticipated welterweight title fight between reigning champion Jon Fitch and No. 1 contender Jake Shields. read news >>

Cain Velasquez: Who is Next? | MMAWeekly.com

It's been two months since Cain Velasquez returned to action at UFC 200, where he stopped Travis Browne. So who is next for the former heavyweight champion? read news >>

Following in the Footsteps of Donald Cerrone and Neil Magny, Sam Alvey Takes His Fourth Fight in Five Months | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Jason da Silva-USA TODAY Sports For all their skill and dominance, fighters like Cain Velasquez, Chris Weidman and Dominick Cruz often find themselves on the receiving end of some fairly ven read news >>