UFC middleweight Jake Shields Friday released a statement issuing an apology for using a banned substance ahead of his UFC 150 clash with Ed Herman. The decision has resulted in a six-month suspension, according to the fighter.

Shields, who previously challenged for the UFC welterweight title before returning to 185 pounds, did not specify in his statement for which substance he tested positive. The Colorado Office of Boxing did not release the UFC 150 test results to the public following the Aug. 11 event, which took place at the Pepsi Center in Denver. Shields’ statement reads:

“To my friends, fans and the UFC,

Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules.

This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC. I have apologized to them, and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career.

I accept the Boxing Commission's decision for a six-month suspension, which will expire in February. I ask that you accept my apology. I will be back fighting soon, and hope that the fans of MMA will support me until that time.”

Shields took a unanimous decision over Herman by controlling the lackluster contest both on the ground and in the clinch. The event was headlined by a lightweight title rematch between champion Benson Henderson and ex-titlist Frankie Edgar, in which Henderson retained his belt in a controversial, five-round split decision.

A 35-fight pro, Shields, 33, joined the UFC in 2010 after reigning as the Strikeforce middleweight king. The Californian has racked up a 3-2 record since entering the UFC fold, besting Martin Kampmann, Yoshihiro Akiyama and Herman, while stumbling against welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and Jake Ellenberger.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC releases official statement on Jose Aldo's drug test fiasco

  • 21 days ago
  • 183 views

The UFC has released a statement on the controversial drug test from Jose Aldo that was thrown out. Both Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor were subjected to random drug tests for their featherweight title read news >>

Rony Jason suspended nine months after failed UFC Fight Night 67 drug test in Brazil

  • 17 days ago
  • 3 views

Rony Jason needed to get back on the winning track in May in Brazil, and he did so in a big way. But now it will be reversed. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Kimbo Slice' says he was drug tested multiple times before Bellator 138

  • 25 days ago
  • 59 views

Two months after questions were raised about drug testing in connection with Bellator 138, Kevin “[autotag]Kimbo Slice[/autotag]” Ferguson said he was visited multiple times by the event’s overseeing read news >>

Photo: Jake Shields trains with Emmy award winner Anthony Bourdain

  • 25 days ago
  • 8 views

Grappling sensation Jake Shields gets some training in with top celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain. Jake Shields is going to be fighting again soon. The former Strikeforce champion Jake Shields is well read news >>

Two fighters fail drug tests in wake of Bellator 137, one suspended for two years

  • 26 days ago
  • 6 views

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but Fernando Gonzalez has failed a post-fight drug test for marijuana. This time, though, he's not alone. Bellator 137, which took place at Pechanga Resort an read news >>

UFC 188's Johnny Case has been sleeping in an altitude tent for months

  • 26 days ago
  • 0 views

Johnny Case has been preparing for UFC 188 and the altitudes of Mexico City by sleeping in an “altitude tent” for months at a time.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bellator’s Mike Richman Tests Positive for PEDs, Suspended for Two Years

  • 26 days ago
  • 8 views

As the combat sports world cracks down on drug use more intensely than ever, two fighters have been caught for drugs in relation to their Bellator 137 bouts. read news >>

Bellator's Mike Richman suspended two years after failed drug test

  • 26 days ago
  • 6 views

Bellator MMA bantamweight Mike Richman and welterweight Fernando Gonzalez both failed post-fight drug tests following this past month’s Bellator 137 event, the California State Athletic Commission to read news >>

Bellator's Mike Richman tests positive for performance-enhancing drug, suspended two years

  • 26 days ago
  • 19 views

Not only was Mike Richman significantly overweight for his last fight, he also was allegedly on performance-enhancing drugs. Richman tested positive for a banned substance on the night he fought Edua read news >>

With Myles Jury out, Edson Barboza gets new UFC on FOX 16 opponent

  • 26 days ago
  • 3 views

With Myles Jury out, lightweight Edson Barboza has a new opponent for next month’s UFC on FOX 16 event.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>