Jake Shields Suspended 6 Months for Using Banned Substance Prior to UFC 150 in Denver

• submit to reddit

UFC middleweight Jake Shields Friday released a statement issuing an apology for using a banned substance ahead of his UFC 150 clash with Ed Herman. The decision has resulted in a six-month suspension, according to the fighter.

Shields, who previously challenged for the UFC welterweight title before returning to 185 pounds, did not specify in his statement for which substance he tested positive. The Colorado Office of Boxing did not release the UFC 150 test results to the public following the Aug. 11 event, which took place at the Pepsi Center in Denver. Shields’ statement reads:

“To my friends, fans and the UFC,

Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules.

This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC. I have apologized to them, and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career.

I accept the Boxing Commission's decision for a six-month suspension, which will expire in February. I ask that you accept my apology. I will be back fighting soon, and hope that the fans of MMA will support me until that time.”

Shields took a unanimous decision over Herman by controlling the lackluster contest both on the ground and in the clinch. The event was headlined by a lightweight title rematch between champion Benson Henderson and ex-titlist Frankie Edgar, in which Henderson retained his belt in a controversial, five-round split decision.

A 35-fight pro, Shields, 33, joined the UFC in 2010 after reigning as the Strikeforce middleweight king. The Californian has racked up a 3-2 record since entering the UFC fold, besting Martin Kampmann, Yoshihiro Akiyama and Herman, while stumbling against welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and Jake Ellenberger.

Ali Bagautinov tested positive for erythropoietin (EPO), a banned substance, prior to his June 14 bout with flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson at UFC 174 in Vancouver. more

Ali Bagautinov has allegedly tested positive for erythropoietin (EPO) in a June 2 out-of-competition test prior to his flyweight title fight at UFC 174 against Demetrious Johnson. more

Recent UFC flyweight title challenger Ali Bagautinov has been suspended for a year after he failed his UFC 174 pre-fight drug test, becoming the latest fighter to test positive for EPO.
Big news coming in today from the British Columbia Athletic Commission, who oversaw UFC 174 in Vancouver last month. Flyweight contender Ali Bagautinov, who fought in the night's main event and lost to champion Demetrious Johnson, tested positive for erythropoietin (EPO) prior to fight night. The BCAC tested Baga more

Recent flyweight title challenger Ali Bagautinov has been suspended for one year after testing positive for Recombinant Human Erythropoietin (EPO) in a June 2nd out-of-competition drug test prior to his championship fight against Demetrious Johnson at UFC 174, British Columbia athletic commissioner Dave Maedel revealed on Thursday.
EPO, one of the four banned substances recently found in Chael Sonnen's system, is typically used as a method to increase athlete stamina and endurance, and is genera more

And it only took eight years!
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White once called former welterweight champion Pat Miletich a "paranoid lunatic," while bagging on the "Croatian Sensation" for his role in the now-defunct International Fight League (IFL).
Read those comments here.
But time heals all wounds, and the "Sin City" fight boss has finally admitted his mistreatment of the mixed martial arts (MMA) pioneer, telling the gang at MMA Fight Corner that not only was he at fault more

“WSOF 11: Gaethje vs. Newell” takes place today prior to UFC 175, and you can join us for live and official results beginning at 2 p.m. ET (11 a.m. PT).Filed under: News, Videos, WSOF more

Stefan Struve has suffered a “near-fainting spell” backstage prior to his fight against Matt Mitrione at UFC 175 in Las Vegas. more

But to be fair, he's willing to jump through the same hoops if it means "setting an example."
Hello, Mr. Aguilar? I have Tim Kennedy on line one ...
Streaking Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight contender Tim Kennedy will ask the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) to drug test his next opponent, Yoel Romero, prior to their "Sin City" showdown in September (details).
Not that he's accusing Romero of being dirty, he just wants to help set an example for the sport. @YoelRomeroMMA more