UFC middleweight Jake Shields Friday released a statement issuing an apology for using a banned substance ahead of his UFC 150 clash with Ed Herman. The decision has resulted in a six-month suspension, according to the fighter.

Shields, who previously challenged for the UFC welterweight title before returning to 185 pounds, did not specify in his statement for which substance he tested positive. The Colorado Office of Boxing did not release the UFC 150 test results to the public following the Aug. 11 event, which took place at the Pepsi Center in Denver. Shields’ statement reads:

“To my friends, fans and the UFC,

Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules.

This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC. I have apologized to them, and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career.

I accept the Boxing Commission's decision for a six-month suspension, which will expire in February. I ask that you accept my apology. I will be back fighting soon, and hope that the fans of MMA will support me until that time.”

Shields took a unanimous decision over Herman by controlling the lackluster contest both on the ground and in the clinch. The event was headlined by a lightweight title rematch between champion Benson Henderson and ex-titlist Frankie Edgar, in which Henderson retained his belt in a controversial, five-round split decision.

A 35-fight pro, Shields, 33, joined the UFC in 2010 after reigning as the Strikeforce middleweight king. The Californian has racked up a 3-2 record since entering the UFC fold, besting Martin Kampmann, Yoshihiro Akiyama and Herman, while stumbling against welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and Jake Ellenberger.

Nick Diaz Freed! Who Could, and Who Should, He Face in His Return?

Ten months ago, one of the most egregious injustices in combat sports history occurred. Nick Diaz, accomplished mixed martial artist, former champion and current UFC contender, was suspended (warning read news >>

UFC 201 Medical Suspensions: Lawler Suspended, but Benoit Only Lengthy Sidelining

Robbie Lawler received a medical suspension following his loss at UFC 201. Ryan Benoit, however, was the only fighter to receive a lengthy suspension. read news >>

Cris Cyborg Returning to UFC in September to Headline Fight Night Event

Cris "Cyborg" Justino is coming back! After a few months of uncertainty, the former Strikeforce featherweight champion, current Invicta FC featherweight champion and longtime arch-rival to Ronda Rous read news >>

Demetrious Johnson UFC Salt Lake City Q&A Video Replay

Prior to the UFC Fight Night 92 weigh-in on Friday, flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson answered questions from the fans in Salt Lake City. read news >>

Melvin Guillard Fined and Suspended by Kansas Commission for Banned Non-PED

Bellator fighter Melvin Guillard was suspended by the Kansas Athletic Commission on Friday for a positive drug test result for a non-performance-enhancing substance. read news >>

John Castaneda Ready to ‘Expose’ Angel Luis Cruz at Combate Americas OCHO

Following a couple months off, John Castaneda steps in as a late replacement to take on Angel Luis Cruz a 145-pound main event of Combate Americas OCHO. read news >>

Jon Jones Teases Quick Return from USADA Suspension in Instagram Post

Jon Jones has had a rough 12 months, but the former UFC light heavyweight champ feels like things are starting to turn around. That seems to be the case, at least, as Jones indicated he may be back i read news >>

The Complete Guide to UFC 202: McGregor vs. Diaz 2

After five months of drama, Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz meet again at UFC 202 on Saturday. Their first matchup was an epic upset, as Diaz stepped up on just 11 days' notice to face the featherweight read news >>

The Question: Does Conor McGregor Stand a Chance in the Rematch with Nate Diaz?

Five months ago, the UFC's best-laid plans came crashing down. Conor McGregor, the sport's brightest star and featherweight kingpin, stepped into the cage at UFC 196 on March 5 for what was supposed read news >>

Diaz vs. McGregor 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

After months of buildup, Conor McGregor has his redemption. The Notorious eked out a majority decision over Nate Diaz in the main event at UFC 202 on Saturday. MMAjunkie tweeted out the scorecards: M read news >>