Jake Ellenberger wanted to fight Johny Hendricks, and he’ll get the opportunity March 16 at UFC 158.

In an interview Wednesday with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Ellenberger discussed the matchup, title contention and more.

On Hendricks: “I’m not disagreeing with anybody who thinks Johny is the No. 1 contender. I’m not disagreeing with that because he’s put together the wins. At the same time, he did accept a fight with me, which is respectable on his part. I’m sure he doesn’t want to sit out for a long period of time. That’s definitely a fight that I wanted. That’s the fight that I asked for, but I’m not Joe Silva or Dana [White]. It’s up to them. At the end of the day, they make the decisions. I’m just really stoked I got the matchup.”

On title contention and getting a title fight: “There’s nothing that’s ever for sure. Until you sign a contract, you don’t know for sure who you’re fighting. And there’s always injuries, but that’s just kind of the way this sport is. That’s the way it works. You’ve got to be open to new ideas. It’s constantly changing.”

On his loss to Martin Kampmann and how far it dropped him down the welterweight ladder: “It’s hard to say. Six wins in a row was on top of the world. You’re really only as good as your last fight. It was very disappointing. Kampmann, he just comes back. He’s a super tough cat. It was tough to deal with. For me, it was kind of a test. How bad do you really want to be the best? How bad do you want to be up there? For me, I kind of had to take a look at myself ... and figure out what I can do to get better. Everything’s constantly changing. You can put together two or three wins and get a shot against the champ.”

On Hendricks calling him more dangerous than Georges St. Pierre: “I appreciate that. I’ve had nothing but good things to say about Johny as well. The guy’s dangerous. ... At the end of the day, when you’re in the cage and you’re fighting another guy who has the power to put you out in one punch -- granted you can get caught in submissions and transitions -- but if somebody can [land one punch] and you lose consciousness, that’s something to say.”

On who has the best shot to beat St. Pierre: “If you’re in Georges St. Pierre’s shoes, who is the biggest threat to his title? That would be Johny and myself.”

On why Hendricks has been successful: “The thing that Johny has that a lot of guys don’t is that he’s competed in wrestling at the highest level. He knows how to compete. He kind of fights with no fear. … I think the fact that he’s fearless in there makes him dangerous.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:01:29).

Alvarez vs. McGregor: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 205

Conor McGregor has the opportunity to send his already notorious legacy into orbit on Saturday, November 12, when he takes on Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205. The UFC featherweight champion will look to bec read news >>

We asked UFC 205 fans to predict McGregor vs. Alvarez – and then immediately regretted it

NEW YORK – Fight fans have packed New York for Saturday’s big UFC 205 event, and they’ve made their presence known. Loudly.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

Adam Piccolotti Eyes Bellator 165 Opportunity to Continue Climbing the Ranks | MMAWeekly.com

Following a rough time around his fight in May, Adam Piccolotti is eyeing Bellator 165 as an opportunity to continue climbing the lightweight ranks. read news >>

Jorge Masvidal sees Jake Ellenberger as 'easy money' at TUF 24 Finale

Judging by his comments at media day for The Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale, Jorge Masvidal is not expecting much of a test when he steps into the cage to face Jake Ellenberger.Filed under: Featured, Fea read news >>

Fast-rising Brandon Moreno seizes TUF opportunity

Brandon Moreno’s fight against Ryan Benoit in The Ultimate Fighter Finale on Saturday comes with high expectations following the Mexican fighter’s impressive debut in the Octagon in October. read news >>

TUF 24 Finale’s Jake Ellenberger on Jorge Masvidal: On Saturday, there will be no surprises

• a day ago

LAS VEGAS – UFC welterweight Jake Ellenberger had won just one fight over three years when he stepped into the cage against the fearsomely tough Matt Brown at UFC 201. Filed under: Featured Videos, N read news >>

TUF 24 Finale results: Jorge Masvidal gets odd TKO after Jake Ellenberger's foot caught in fence

• 17 hours ago

LAS VEGAS – UFC fans are now a little closer to having seen every type of stoppage in the octagon. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jorge Masvidal Beats Jake Ellenberger with Assist from the Cage (TUF 24 Finale Results) | MMAWeekly.com

• 16 hours ago

Jorge Masvidal took home the victory over Jake Ellenberger at The Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale, although it was hardly the ending that anyone had expected. read news >>

Jorge Masvidal and the Cage Stop Jake Ellenberger (TUF 24 Finale Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

• 15 hours ago

Check out the fight highlights as Jorge Masvidal – with an assist from the cage – takes out Jake Ellenberger at the TUF 24 Finale on Saturday in Las Vegas. read news >>