Jake Ellenberger wanted to fight Johny Hendricks, and he’ll get the opportunity March 16 at UFC 158.

In an interview Wednesday with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Ellenberger discussed the matchup, title contention and more.

On Hendricks: “I’m not disagreeing with anybody who thinks Johny is the No. 1 contender. I’m not disagreeing with that because he’s put together the wins. At the same time, he did accept a fight with me, which is respectable on his part. I’m sure he doesn’t want to sit out for a long period of time. That’s definitely a fight that I wanted. That’s the fight that I asked for, but I’m not Joe Silva or Dana [White]. It’s up to them. At the end of the day, they make the decisions. I’m just really stoked I got the matchup.”

On title contention and getting a title fight: “There’s nothing that’s ever for sure. Until you sign a contract, you don’t know for sure who you’re fighting. And there’s always injuries, but that’s just kind of the way this sport is. That’s the way it works. You’ve got to be open to new ideas. It’s constantly changing.”

On his loss to Martin Kampmann and how far it dropped him down the welterweight ladder: “It’s hard to say. Six wins in a row was on top of the world. You’re really only as good as your last fight. It was very disappointing. Kampmann, he just comes back. He’s a super tough cat. It was tough to deal with. For me, it was kind of a test. How bad do you really want to be the best? How bad do you want to be up there? For me, I kind of had to take a look at myself ... and figure out what I can do to get better. Everything’s constantly changing. You can put together two or three wins and get a shot against the champ.”

On Hendricks calling him more dangerous than Georges St. Pierre: “I appreciate that. I’ve had nothing but good things to say about Johny as well. The guy’s dangerous. ... At the end of the day, when you’re in the cage and you’re fighting another guy who has the power to put you out in one punch -- granted you can get caught in submissions and transitions -- but if somebody can [land one punch] and you lose consciousness, that’s something to say.”

On who has the best shot to beat St. Pierre: “If you’re in Georges St. Pierre’s shoes, who is the biggest threat to his title? That would be Johny and myself.”

On why Hendricks has been successful: “The thing that Johny has that a lot of guys don’t is that he’s competed in wrestling at the highest level. He knows how to compete. He kind of fights with no fear. … I think the fact that he’s fearless in there makes him dangerous.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:01:29).

Forty is the New Thirty for Yoshihiro Akiyama

Yoshihiro Akiyama doesn’t have an answer when asked why his level of popularity has remained untouched over the years. But he is appreciative of the fan support. “I’m delighted,” he said, “but I read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2090 with Jake Ellenberger, Abner Lloveras, Ryan Stoddard, Sammy the Squid

Stream or download Thursday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Jake Ellenberger, Abner Lloveras, Ryan Stoddard and Sammy the Squid.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Ellenberger, Girtz, Lloveras, Stoddard and Squid

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Jake Ellenberger, Brandon Girtz, Abner Lloveras, Ryan Stoddard and Sammy the Squid.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Luis Santos: 'Coward' Ben Askren is a rat who was looking for a hole to hide in

Luis Santos’ opportunity to get revenge against Ben Askren at ONE Championship 32 went out the window when he missed weight. Now, Santos is focusing on Askren as being the biggest problem in the situ read news >>

Jedrzejczyk vs. Letourneau Results: Winner, Scorecard, Reaction from UFC 193

Joanna Jedrzejczyk had a great opportunity to gain some recognition as a co-headliner at UFC 193, and she did just that Saturday. The UFC women's strawweight champion successfully defended her belt a read news >>

Benson Henderson vs. Jorge Masvidal possible as new UFC Fight Night 79 headliner

It appears Jorge Masvidal may get the opportunity to headline his first UFC event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Holly Holm Envisions a Grueling Battle to Take Ronda Rousey’s Belt ( UFC 193 Scrum Video)

Holly Holm has the opportunity of a lifetime when she steps in the Octagon with Ronda Rousey, but knows it is no easy task that stands before her. read news >>

Valerie Letourneau Says a ‘Bad Surprise’ Could Await Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 193

Ninth-ranked women’s strawweight Valerie Letourneau has the opportunity of her career when she faces champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 193 on Nov. 14 in Australia. read news >>

Chad Mendes Thinks Frankie Edgar is Being ‘Screwed,’ but Also Sees Opportunity

Chad Mendes believes Frankie Edgar has been getting the short end of the stick in the 145-pound divison for some time, but also sees their bout as a huge opportunity. read news >>

Melvin Blumer Making the Most of Opportunity, Headlines RFA 32

Melvin Blumer is making the most of his opportunity, as he heads into Friday's RFA 32 headlining bout opposite Leandro Higo. read news >>