Jacob Volkmann is hoping he’ll have plenty of support Friday in his native Minnesota when he takes on Shane Roller at UFC on FX 5. Of course, he doesn’t just want his fans to root for him -- he’d also like them to vote for him in the upcoming presidential election.

Ahead of his bout against Roller, and ahead of the election, Volkmann recently joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, politics and more.

On fighting in Minnesota: “It is a little more nerve-wracking. I know there’s going to be a lot of family and friends here. I am going to stay in a hotel room, though, a few nights before, then for the next three nights just because I want to focus.”

On whether he can take Roller down: “Yeah. I’ve watched the videos. I’ve seen a lot of times where he just opens up. Whenever you put the heat on him, he defends himself and his arms are up. It’s pretty easy to see the opportunity to take him down there.”

On whether this fight is a must-win: “Oh, this is a must-win for sure. Not only just to stay in the UFC, but just because I have a lot of bills to pay. After a loss you only get half of what the contract is [for winning].”

On why he fights instead of focusing on his career as a chiropractor: “I’ve been competing my whole life. It’s something my whole life I’ve been training for, just competing. I love to compete. I figure I’ve only got a handful of years left of competing, so I might as well keep on doing it when I can.”

On whether he’s satisfied with how the UFC has promoted him: “They’re doing what pays the bills. Obviously I haven’t finished a fight yet in the UFC. That’s the main thing that they’re weighing their decision on. I can’t really hold it against them. They’ve got to pay their bills too.”

On why he hasn’t been able to get a finish in the UFC: “I don’t know. I don’t know why Danny Castillo didn’t tap to that one [choke]. I couldn’t get underneath Antonio McKee’s neck. Just a fluke. That’s the way it goes. ... Ninety percent of the people that I’ve got the D’Arce in, that I got Danny Castillo in, well, probably 99 percent of people would have tapped on that. That was extremely tight. I don’t know how he even got blood to his head.”

On whether he expects to see “Volkmann for President” shirts at the event: “I’m hoping so. I gave about a hundred of them away to people that are going to the Target Center. I’m hoping there will be over a hundred shirts there because I’ve sold some too.”

On how many write-in votes he’ll receive this election: “If you’re smart, a lot. Especially if you don’t like Obama, but you don’t want to vote for Romney, just put my name in there.”

On whether he’s a fan of Mitt Romney: “No. I don’t like his haircut.”

On whether he has a “Volkmann for President” sign in his yard: “I have two of them. I’ve got two yard signs. … I was going to put more, but I didn’t want to spend too much money on my campaign.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 57:12).

UFC signs new partnership with Brazil sports and entertainment leader IMM

UFC announced a multi-year partnership with Brazilian event operator IMM. IMM, a joint venture between Mubadala Development and WME|IMG, will oversee event operations for all UFC Brazil events beginn read news >>

In Memoriam: The MMA Fighters Who Passed Away In 2016 | FIGHTLAND

Although there's plenty of evidence that 2016 has not been the literal worst year ever, it won't exactly go down as humanity's most beloved spin around the sun, either. Politics, natural disasters, t read news >>

UFC 207 Results: The Real Winners and Losers from Rousey vs. Nunes Fight Card

There are always plenty of lessons following any fight card. But the learning curve is not usually as steep as it was for UFC 207. That's mainly because a certain fighter, name of Ronda Rousey, chose read news >>

LeBron James Comments on Ronda Rousey After UFC 207 Loss vs. Amanda Nunes

Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James had words of support for MMA fighter Ronda Rousey after she lost her second straight fight on Saturday night, this time a 48-second knockout against Amanda read news >>

UFC 207 Talking Points: Nunes, Rousey, Garbrandt and Dillashaw

There's plenty to discuss after a wild UFC 207 - Amanda Nunes' reign, the future of Ronda Rousey, Cody Garbrandt's rise and the upcoming challenge from TJ Dillashaw. We've got it all in the UFC 207 T read news >>

Fighters and frustrated son support Mike Goldberg after relatively quiet UFC send-off

By the time Friday’s UFC 207 event rolled around, we knew longtime UFC play-by-play man Mike Goldberg was stepping into the commentary booth for the final time. He didn’t get much of a send-off, thou read news >>

Jon Jones Lends Ronda Rousey His Support and Advice | MMAWeekly.com

After Ronda Rousey was dismantled in 48 seconds on Friday night, Jon Jones lent his support and advice to his friend and fellow former champion. read news >>

What can MMA fans expect in 2017? Change, for better or worse

The last year saw plenty of upheaval in the MMA landscape. But after the UFC sale, and with the first signs of the new owners’ hand showing through, expect a lot to change in 2017.Filed under: News, read news >>

Hoping setbacks in past, UFC 209's Todd Duffee doesn't feel like a 31-year-old heavyweight

Being a fighter hasn’t always been the easiest road for Todd Duffee. Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Steven Peterson Hoping to Win LFA Title and Move On to UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Steven Peterson will look to unite his Legacy FC championship with the RFA title held by Leandro Higo to form the first Legacy Fighting Alliance 135-pound title. read news >>