Jacob Volkmann is hoping he’ll have plenty of support Friday in his native Minnesota when he takes on Shane Roller at UFC on FX 5. Of course, he doesn’t just want his fans to root for him -- he’d also like them to vote for him in the upcoming presidential election.

Ahead of his bout against Roller, and ahead of the election, Volkmann recently joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, politics and more.

On fighting in Minnesota: “It is a little more nerve-wracking. I know there’s going to be a lot of family and friends here. I am going to stay in a hotel room, though, a few nights before, then for the next three nights just because I want to focus.”

On whether he can take Roller down: “Yeah. I’ve watched the videos. I’ve seen a lot of times where he just opens up. Whenever you put the heat on him, he defends himself and his arms are up. It’s pretty easy to see the opportunity to take him down there.”

On whether this fight is a must-win: “Oh, this is a must-win for sure. Not only just to stay in the UFC, but just because I have a lot of bills to pay. After a loss you only get half of what the contract is [for winning].”

On why he fights instead of focusing on his career as a chiropractor: “I’ve been competing my whole life. It’s something my whole life I’ve been training for, just competing. I love to compete. I figure I’ve only got a handful of years left of competing, so I might as well keep on doing it when I can.”

On whether he’s satisfied with how the UFC has promoted him: “They’re doing what pays the bills. Obviously I haven’t finished a fight yet in the UFC. That’s the main thing that they’re weighing their decision on. I can’t really hold it against them. They’ve got to pay their bills too.”

On why he hasn’t been able to get a finish in the UFC: “I don’t know. I don’t know why Danny Castillo didn’t tap to that one [choke]. I couldn’t get underneath Antonio McKee’s neck. Just a fluke. That’s the way it goes. ... Ninety percent of the people that I’ve got the D’Arce in, that I got Danny Castillo in, well, probably 99 percent of people would have tapped on that. That was extremely tight. I don’t know how he even got blood to his head.”

On whether he expects to see “Volkmann for President” shirts at the event: “I’m hoping so. I gave about a hundred of them away to people that are going to the Target Center. I’m hoping there will be over a hundred shirts there because I’ve sold some too.”

On how many write-in votes he’ll receive this election: “If you’re smart, a lot. Especially if you don’t like Obama, but you don’t want to vote for Romney, just put my name in there.”

On whether he’s a fan of Mitt Romney: “No. I don’t like his haircut.”

On whether he has a “Volkmann for President” sign in his yard: “I have two of them. I’ve got two yard signs. … I was going to put more, but I didn’t want to spend too much money on my campaign.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 57:12).

Mike Ricci signs with World Series of Fighting

Mike Ricci is headed to World Series of Fighting. The former TUF 16 finalist has signed a new contract with the promotion, WSOF executive vice president Ali Abdel-Aziz confirmed with MMAFighting.com. read news >>

Bellator signs Isao Kobayashi and Thiago Jambo Goncalves to multi-year deals

Bellator has continued their pattern of aggressively signing fighters to bolster their roster with the announced addition of Isao Kobayashi and Thiago Jambo Goncalves.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Morning Report: Frankie Edgar hoping to fight in December, but ready to step in for Jose Aldo or Conor McGregor at UFC 1

Frankie Edgar isn't waiting around. The former UFC lightweight champion missed out on stepping in to face Conor McGregor at UFC 189, but he's not letting another opportunity slip by. Featherweight ch read news >>

Yoel Romero vs. Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza booked for UFC 194 in December

For the third time, the UFC is hoping to see top middleweight contenders Ronaldo Souza, better known as “Jacare,” and Yoel Romero meet in the octagon.Filed under: News read news >>

Updated: 'Wandy' offers no evidence to support fixed-fight claims, faces lawsuit over comments

It’s no secret that Wanderlei Silva is not fond of the UFC or its management. The former PRIDE and UFC star has been lashing out at UFC officials since running out of a gym to avoid a NSAC drug test read news >>

Stipe Miocic vs. Ben Rothwell targeted to co-headline UFC Fight Night in Dublin

Signs point to a Werdum vs. Velasquez rematch as the UFC has chosen to put Stipe Miocic in against Ben Rothwell at UFC Fight Night in Dublin, Ireland. The UFC heavyweight picture just got a little bi read news >>

Josh Thomson signs 'fighter-friendly' Bellator MMA contract, UFC unable to match offer based on Reebok/FOX partnerships

No. 11-ranked UFC lightweight Josh 'The Punk' Thomson has decided to switch sweaters, jumping ship to Bellator MMA ... "where the money is." It may comes as a shock to learn that Josh "The Punk" Thom read news >>

Bellator MMA Signs Josh Thomson to Multi-year, Multi-fight Contract

Bellator MMA announced on Tuesday that they had signed Josh “The Punk” Thomson (20-8, 1 NC) to an exclusive multi-year, multi-fight contract. read news >>

Former Strikeforce lightweight champ Josh Thomson signs with Bellator MMA

Former Strikeforce lightweight champ and seven-time UFC veteran Josh Thomson is the latest addition to the Bellator MMA roster.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Ronda Rousey Claims She Would Beat Floyd Mayweather in Ruleless Fight

The war of words between Floyd Mayweather and Ronda Rousey shows no signs of ceasing, with the latter insisting she could take the undefeated American boxer in a no-rules fight. As noted by ESPN.co.u read news >>