Ed HermanUFC middleweight Ed “Short Fuse” Herman’s fight with Jake Shields this past August was possibly the most disappointing moment in his recent career.

Initially it had seemed that Herman had lost a unanimous decision, only to have the fight overturned to a no contest after Shields tested positive for performance enhancing drugs.

“I was making a little run there and to go in there and lose, I feel like I had a bad performance and wasn’t able to showcase my skills,” said Herman. “For him to test positive, it takes a loss off my record, so that’s good I guess, but it doesn’t change how much I got beat and that stuff still hurts.”

The fight with Shields came after Herman had won three fights in a row and gotten his career back on track following a patch where he had lost three out of four.

Looking to recapture his momentum, Herman signed up to take a fight that almost no one else was willing to when he agreed to face Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza at the final Strikeforce event, taking place Saturday night in Oklahoma City, Okla.

“I heard like eight or nine guys turned this fight down,” said Herman. “I thought it was a good opportunity. I need to fight. Fighting is what I do. I hadn’t fought since August, so I needed a fight.”

Herman knows he’s in for a tough night against the former Strikeforce 185-pound champion, but he’s also confident he can defeat Souza if he sticks to his game.

“It’s probably the toughest fight of my career, but it’s a good match-up for me, because I feel like he’s never fought anybody like me,” said Herman. “I don’t want to screw around too much with him, but I want to work my ground and pound, work my hands, my clinch and do what I do best.

“I can pressure him, make him tired, make him taste his own blood and make him quit. That’s what I do best is just grind guys down, break their will, and I’m going to try to do that with him.”

Herman feels a victory over Souza not only will start the year off right for him, but also help springboard him in the rankings, which will only become more difficult to achieve once Strikeforce fighters integrate with the UFC in the coming months.

“With every fight being so tough these days – especially for me, since they don’t give me any easy ones – I’ve got to go in there and get a win, and then from there things can really go up for me,” said Herman. “I believe that I’ve always been a little underrated, and any of the guys I’ve fought in my weight class they know I’m tough and that I’m not an easy fight.

“I believe I’m right there right now, but I’ve got to prove it a little bit more to the fans, the UFC and everybody else that I’m a Top 10 guy. That’s the plan here, is to go in there and put it on Jacare and show that even with this transition and all these guys coming in that I am a Top 10 guy.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine news and fight coverage.

Igor Pokrajac vs. Ed Herman slated for UFC 209 in Sin City

The lineup for March’s UFC 209 event continues to take shape.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Classy Demian Maia has – of course – a classy response to UFC 209's welterweight title fight

With his long-awaited title shot once again postponed, welterweight contender and notorious class act Demian Maia reacted to UFC 209’s championship booking with what looks like an incredibly polite T read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Comments on Ronda Rousey After UFC 207 Loss to Amanda Nunes

Retired boxing icon Floyd Mayweather Jr. has offered crestfallen UFC superstar Ronda Rousey some words of encouragement following her second successive career defeat, which came against Amanda Nunes read news >>

British Lead The Way For Landmark UFC Event In London

UFC’s highly anticipated return to The O2 in London, England, is set to showcase some of the best British talent in MMA . With young local prospects heading to the big stage on home soil, the event o read news >>

Former UFC fighter Elizabeth Phillips a late addition to Saturday's reshuffled Invicta FC 21

Recent UFC competitor Elizabeth Phillips is a late addition to Saturday’s Invicta FC 21 lineup.Filed under: News read news >>

Brad Pickett Lands Retirement Bout at UFC London | MMAWeekly.com

Veteran slugger Brad "One Punch" Pickett has landed a retirement fight on his home turf at UFC London. read news >>

Manager: Former UFC title challenger 'Bigfoot' Silva gets 'second breath' – and $200K payday – in Russia

Longtime MMA manager and frequent MMAjunkie contributor Alex Davis said he has no complaints over how Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva was treated by a Russian promoter. His only complaint was with the offici read news >>

Champ Tyron Woodley: Stephen Thompson has 'got under my skin so much' ahead of UFC 209 rematch

Stephen Thompson wasn’t the first choice of opponent for Tyron Woodley at UFC 209. However, Thompson’s now the one the reigning UFC welterweight champion wants to fight most.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Former Strikeforce champ Tarec Saffiedine invites ex-UFC champ Rafael dos Anjos to welterweight

Former Strikeforce champ and UFC welterweight Tarec Saffiedine would like to welcome ex-lightweight champ Rafael dos Anjos to his division. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ansaroff confident after Nunes said she'd be next champ

After defeating Ronda Rousey at UFC 207, Amanda Nunes got on the mic and said Nina Ansaroff would be the next strawweight champ. Ansaroff is confident in herself to make that climb and it starts this read news >>