Is Shane Carwin gunning for a UFC rematch with Brock Lesnar?


shane-carwin-ufc-131Earlier this week, UFC President Dana White wouldn’t discuss or speculate on a possible return for former champion Brock Lesnar. But it appears one former opponent is angling for a rematch.

During Thursday’s pre-UFC 168 media scrum, White was asked about rumors that Lesnar would be attending tonight’s event in Las Vegas. White was tightlipped and said he had no additional details.

But one fellow retired heavyweight seems interested in the WWE vet and ex-UFC champ, especially if he returns to the cage: ex-interim titleholder Shane Carwin.

Lesnar and Carwin first fought at UFC 116 in July 2010. In the title-unification bout, Carwin nearly forced a first-round TKO stoppage, but Lesnar survived the ground-and-pound attack and secured a fight-ending arm-triangle choke in the following round. Neither fighter won another MMA bout.

Lesnar (5-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) lost the title to now-reigning champ Cain Velasquez in his next fight and then announced his UFC retirement after a subsequent TKO loss to Alistair Overeem in late 2011. He later rejoined the WWE, where he’s again emerged as one of the pro wrestling organization’s bigger draws.

Carwin (12-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC), meanwhile, subsequently suffered a decision loss to Junior dos Santos, and after a lengthy injury hiatus, ultimately announced his official MMA retirement earlier this year.

And adding further fuel to the fire, the UFC is making a special announcement at 6 p.m. ET tonight prior to UFC 168. While the announcement could be related to the UFC’s new digital network, a recent Carwin tweet suggests perhaps it’s something else.

Regardless, join us at 6 p.m. ET for a live stream and full coverage of the announcement.

And for more on UFC 168, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 7 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC President Dana White has again hinted former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar might be interested in making a return to the octagon once his WWE obligations end.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors read news >>

  • 6 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC president Dana White says the door is open for Brock Lesnar if the former heavyweight titleholder decides that he wants to fight again. read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 0 views

Brock Lesnar's contract with the WWE expires on early 2015, and Dana White says the former UFC champion is 'interested in fighting again'. Brock Lesnar has been plying his trade in pro-wrestling for read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 1 views

Or maybe the former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion will sign with Bellator MMA and turn the entire mixed martial arts (MMA) world upside down, for no other reason than some read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 2 views

A month would not be complete without discussing four-time and current WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar (oh, and former UFC heavyweight champion too) possibly returning to the UFC. Luckily read news >>

  • 6 days ago
  • 1 views

That's according to Dana White, who says the rival promotion doesn't have the talent to satisfy Lesnar's hunger to fight the best in the world. "Brock Lesnar wouldn't go to Bellator. Brock wants to f read news >>

  • 6 days ago
  • 669 views

UFC president Dana White had a bit of a rough start to the week. Blaming the letdown of Monday's 'The Time is Now' event on his public relations staff, White was then asked for his take on Bellator's read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 5 views

When UFC President Dana White posted his latest Instagram selfie with Conor McGregor early Monday, at least he had the presence of mind to caption it, "Ready ... Set ... HATE!!!!" Apparently, White i read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC president Dana White officially announced Grace Tourinho as the managing director for UFC in Brazil on November 2013, and her tenure will end one year later. Tourinho, who first started working f read news >>

Jump to: