Is Nick Diaz Retired or Isn’t He? His is for Now, Turns Down Carlos Condit Fight


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Nick Diaz UFC 129After UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre on Friday declared he was taking a leave of absence and vacating his belt, UFC president Dana White moved swiftly to fill the void.

He announced that Johny Hendricks would face Robbie Lawler at UFC 171 on March 15 in Dallas to declare a new champion. White added that he had something special in the works for Carlos Condit, another fighter that many considered a viable contender to the vacated belt.

At UFC on Fox 9 on Saturday night, White revealed that he offered a bout with Condit to “is he retired or is he not fighter” Nick Diaz. And evidently, at least for the foreseeable future, Diaz is still retired.

“I was trying to make Carlos Condit vs. Nick Diaz,” said White. “Nick Diaz turned the fight down tonight. He didn’t want it.”

It was a disappointment for White, who said that Condit accepted the fight immediately. At this point, it was up to Diaz to make the fight happen, but he declined.

White said he spoke to Diaz face to face at UFC on Fox 9 about the match-up, but he wasn’t about to press him on it if he didn’t want to fight. It wasn’t a matter of the details; it was a matter of desire.

“It’s not about negotiating. He’s under contract. It’s do you want to fight or do you not want to fight,” said White. “What you don’t want to do is pressure a guy that doesn’t want to fight.

“You gotta have (that fire) or you shouldn’t do it.”

Diaz apparently mentioned possibly coming back to fight sometime around May, but White later added that he wasn’t going to keep offering Diaz fights. He told Diaz to let him know when he’s ready to fight again.

In the meantime, it’s back to the drawing board for a fight for Carlos Condit, who was originally slated to meet Matt Brown on Saturday night. Brown, however, suffered a couple of herniated discs and had to bow out.

White wanted to broach the Condit vs. Diaz fight first, so now that the fight isn’t going to happen, he said they’ll rethink things and try to find a fight for Condit.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 25 days ago
  • 175 views

LAS VEGAS - UFC president Dana White held his annual Fan Expo question-and-answer session with the fans on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center. As usual, the event was a mix of the serious, the less serious, and the absurd, ranging from detailed questions about the company's business to painful-to-watch attempts at business pitches.
One thing the UFC boss did indicate, however, is that he could very well by on the same wavelength as the fans who want the much-discussed potential Ander more

  • a day ago
  • 141 views

Nick Diaz has not won a mixed martial arts (MMA) match since Oct. 2011, when he beat B.J. Penn from pillar to post en route to a unanimous decision win at UFC 137. Back-to-back losses since then, as well as a self-imposed two-year retirement, and Diaz could be back in Dana White's proverbial "title mix" if he is successful against former 185-pound champion, Anderson Silva, in the main event of UFC 183 on Jan. 31, 2015. That's according to White, who earlier this evening appeared on ESPN to discu more

  • 12 hours ago
  • 43 views

UFC President Dana White revealed that Anderson Silva is “chomping at the bit” to return to the octagon and that Nick Diaz could potentially fight for a title with a win over the division’s former kingpin. more

  • 9 hours ago
  • 4 views

Nick Diaz has said over and over that he'd really only wants to fight superfights or for titles. He was granted a superfight with Anderson Silva and, if he wins, he could get a title shot. more

  • 25 days ago
  • 133 views

LAS VEGAS -- UFC president Dana White discusses job opportunities in the UFC, Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz, Joe Rogan's fighting future, Gina Carano, Georges St-Pierre, and much more Friday evening at the UFC Fan Expo. more

  • a day ago
  • 30 views

Anderson Silva wanted it. Nick Diaz wanted it. Dana White wanted it. Fans wanted it. And now it is a done deal. Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz has been signed for early 2015. more

  • a day ago
  • 60 views

Appearing on ESPN's SportsCenter, UFC president Dana White officially announced the anticipated bout between former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz. SportsCenter anchor Max Bretos leaked the news on Twitter shortly before White appeared on camera: Dana White announcing on @SportsCenter Anderson Silva will be back in #UFC Octagon. He will face Nick Diaz January 31st. Boom.
— Max Bretos (@mbretosESPN) July 29, 2014 After taping the se more

  • 14 days ago
  • 27 views

The Las Vegas fight boss has seemingly heard enough petulance from The 209.
Even though he has not fought since Nov. 2013 (per his choice), Nate Diaz has always found a way to stay in the headlines.
Mainly because of his ongoing feud with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), which mostly centers around pay (or lack thereof). When he's not voicing his displeasure with his employer, Diaz is taking pot shots at his colleagues who are competing ... or who just so happen to have fights coming up.
Hi more

  • 12 days ago
  • 65 views

Dana White recently said he didn't care if Nate Diaz wanted to sit out. Now we know why.
Nate Diaz is standing firm in his stance to not return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Octagon until he gets a title shot or at least a new contract that pays him more than Arianny Celeste and Brittney Palmer. Unfortunately for the Stockton slugger, that's not going to happen anytime soon, according to UFC President Dana White, who says the ink isn't even dry yet on the contract Nate recently sig more