“I started off a little slower than I wanted to, but I’m pretty damn athletic man, second-most athletic heavyweight around,” said Matt Mitrione after his win over Tim Hague at UFC Fight For The Troops 2, shooting a sly sideways grin at training partner Pat Barry. “As a result, I need to make people fight in my game.”

Matt Mitrione at UFC 119

Matt Mitrione at UFC 119

That he did on Saturday night, stuffing Hague’s takedown attempts and working him with a solid jab. Mitrione dropped the Canadian midway through the first round of their fight with a straight left hand then finished him off with strikes for the TKO stoppage.

Can you really call a 2:39 stoppage a slow start?

Mitrione does, but that’s because has lofty expectations for himself.

“For this fight, I wanted to emulate Dominick Cruz,” he said after the fight.  “I wanted to be the 265-pound Dominick Cruz.  I love the way you fight brother, you’re elusive, and I wanted to be just like that.”

Cruz is the UFC’s first 135-pound champion, known for his unorthodox and perpetual movement in the Octagon, attacking from all angles.

“He’s so elusive man. He uses his athleticism to make everybody else change their game. Scotty Jorgensen is a tough, tough little fellow and Dominick made him look like a child, took him down at will, head strikes coming from every angle, finished with beautiful leg kicks,” said Mitrione, recounting Cruz’s recent title defense.

“And the way that Dominick’s game plan is and the way that he makes everybody so uncomfortable with his movement because it’s so herky-jerky and so unpredictable. I love the way he fights. I respect it. I told him before hand, I’m going to try and fight like you.”

Much of Mitrione’s athleticism comes from his time as a professional football player, having played for the New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings in the NFL. He’s only four fights into his mixed martial arts career, but that athleticism, while not quite up to par with Cruz’s yet, has allowed Mitrione to find success in the UFC when most fighters of his experience would be trying to fight their way up on regional promotions.

Mitrione is still in a highly exploratory phase of his growth, not quite sure where he stands in the overall scheme of the sport.

“This fight was the same as my last fight with Joey Beltran, so I can’t say where this really puts me as far as my progression as a martial artist. As a martial artist, I don’t really know where the hell I am because I haven’t really had the chance to capitalize or really see where my ground game is,” he assessed. “I don’t really know where my progression is. I know as a stand-up guy I can really let ‘em fly.”

Not that Mitrione is looking to get into a wrestling match anytime soon.

“I’m not asking for a wrestler, I’m just saying I don’t exactly know where (my ground game) is. I prefer to trade leather, I’d prefer to let my shins and my hands fly.”

Dominick Cruz blasts 'wannabe' T.J. Dillashaw: Nobody believes he's champion!

'The Dominator' has responded to T.J. Dillashaw's comments, and says he's a Dominic Cruz 'wannabe'. read news >>

As UFC Fight Night 72 fighters arrive in Scotland, look who told the cameras to piss off

Ahead of the UFC’s Scottish debut, the evening’s 24 fighters have arrived in Glasgow. Take a look behind the scenes as the UFC’s cameras caught up with the athletes as they checked in, hit the scales read news >>

More than talk, Conor McGregor puts himself at top of UFC’s new age

McGregor comes back to defeat Mendes via second-round TKO for the interim featherweight championship Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. read news >>

UFC returns to Sao Paulo on November 7 for Fight Night event

The UFC’s last trip to Brazil in 2015 is scheduled for November. With June 27’s UFC Fight Night 70 moved from Sao Paulo to Hollywood, the promotion has set a date for its return to Sao Paulo. Accordi read news >>

UFC 189's Reebok pay: Robbie Lawler leads event's $230,000 total sponsorship payout

UFC 189 marked the debut of the UFC’s new Reebok fighter kits, and we now have our first sponsorship payout totals.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 189 results: Alex Garcia frustrates Mike Swick for unanimous nod

LAS VEGAS – Mike Swick returned to the UFC’s octagon for the first time in two and a half years and got the welcome back he really didn’t want. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Why UFC 189's Thomas Almeida isn't buying into lopsided odds, endless praise

Among the UFC’s many top prospects, undefeated bantamweight Thomas Almeida might be one of the most promising.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Cyborg wants Correia to KO Rousey, claims Ronda doesn't know what is to be 'hit in the face'

Cristiane Cyborg believes Bethe Correia must trust her hands and look for the knockout against Ronda Rousey. Also believes their super fight will happen before she calls it a career. Cristiane Justin read news >>

How Ben Askren learned to embrace his role outside the UFC, and why he believes it matters

Ben Askren has developed a reputation as the rare fighter who will speak truth to power when it comes to the UFC. It’s not a role he sought out, he said, but it is one that he thinks someone in MMA n read news >>

Ryan Jimmo, Hatsu Hioki among 14 fighters cut from the UFC

The UFC’s Reebok era has officially begun, but 14 fighters won’t experience it. Octagon veterans Ryan Jimmo, Robbie Peralta, Hatsu Hioki and Brian Ebersole are part of the long list of fighters recen read news >>