vanessa-porto-2.jpgVanessa Porto’s first Invicta FC fight was not a success. But as she proved in her return bout, the disappointing debut was not an indicator of her potential.

“Tara LaRosa was the favorite,” Porto (15-5) told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “She had been ranked No. 1 in the world. I surprised a lot of people.”

Porto’s loss was a submission defeat at the hands of onetime Strikeforce fighter Sarah D’Alelio. But Porto rebounded with a decision win over LaRosa and has now been invited back for a third appearance under the Invicta FC banner. She now meets Barb Honchak (7-2) at tonight’s Invicta FC 5 event, which takes place at Ameristar Casino Hotel in Kansas City, Mo.

The pair meets with the promotion’s inaugural flyweight belt on the line. Fighting in the co-feature of the online pay-per-view, Porto enjoys her highest-profile fight to date, but she doesn’t believe there’s any reason for concern.

“For me, it’s just my job,” Porto said. “I’ve been training my entire life. I don’t feel pressure. I understand the historical significance, and Barb is a great fighter, but I don’t feel pressure because I’m well-trained.

“Invicta is growing rapidly. Many new girls are fighting for us now. It will be a great card. The belt is an added value to our competition, but I’m not feeling any stress.”

Porto still lives and trains in Brazil where her husband, former pro fighter Pedro Iglezia, handles head-coaching duties.

“He trains me in everything: standup, ground, nutrition, fitness, et cetera,” Porto said. “I’ve always worked with him.

“He stopped competing, and he’s concentrating on helping me in MMA. He’s working for me now. We improve during and between each new bout. The main thing is to keep my stamina up and keep improving the technical aspects, always getting better.”

The loss to D’Alelio remains Porto’s lone defeat in her past six appearances. But with the impressive win over LaRosa, she’s now in line to become champion in a promotion that seems primed to establish itself as a premier destination for female fighters.

Porto said the loss, while unfortunate, fueled her drive to tonight’s fight.

“In life, one always has losses and wins,” Porto said. “A loss like that forces one to work hard to overcome, to maintain a clear head and to keep moving forward. I’m always training hard and striving to win.”

For more on Invicta FC 5, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Invicta FC 15 Results: Cris Cyborg Smashes Daria Ibragimova

Cris "Cyborg" Justino proved once again that she reigns on high as queen of Invicta with a first-round finish of Daria Ibragimova at Invicta FC 15 on Saturday in Orange County, Calif. read news >>

Invicta FC 15 results: 'Cyborg' wins again, crushing Ibragimova in first

Once again, Cristiane Justino proved she has no equal at 145 pounds, scoring a first-round knockout of Daria Ibragimova with relative ease.Filed under: News read news >>

Cris Cyborg vs. Daria Ibragimova: Winner, Recap, Reaction from Invicta FC 15

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino's scorched-earth campaign through Invicta FC's featherweight division continued at Invicta 15 with the champion defeating Daria Ibragimova in the main event via first-round read news >>

Invicta FC 16 heads to Vegas with Alexa Grasso, Irene Aldana, others

Following Saturday’s Invicta FC 15 event, company president Shannon Knapp laid out some plans for Invicta FC 16.Filed under: News read news >>

Conor McGregor Did Not Appreciate Floyd Mayweather’s Racial Comments (Video)

Featherweight champion Conor McGregor responded to Floyd Mayweather's recent comments about race directed toward him and Ronda Rousey. read news >>

Women’s MMA Report: Jedrzejczyk-Gadelha II set, ‘Cyborg’ retains Invicta FC title

UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk is set for her next title defense, and it comes against a familiar foe. Get the latest on that bout and other recent happenings in the Women’s MMA Report.F read news >>

White: Ex-champ Cain Velasquez headed for back surgery, 4-week recovery expected

Cain Velasquez will reportedly undergo surgery following his most recent injury and fight withdrawal. According to Dana White, Velasquez is expected to make a complete recovery within four weeks of g read news >>

Twitter reacts to Anthony Johnson's 86-second KO of Ryan Bader at UFC on FOX 18

Anthony Johnson again proved why he’s arguably the most fearsome knockout artist on the UFC roster when he defeated Ryan Bader with strikes in the main event of UFC on FOX 18 on Saturday at Prudentia read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 results: Anthony Johnson powers through Ryan Bader in quick fashion

NEWARK, N.J. – Anthony Johnson proved once again why he is one of the scariest athletes in all of MMA, as he devastated fellow top light heavyweight contender Ryan Bader in quick fashion.Filed under: read news >>