vanessa-porto-2.jpgVanessa Porto’s first Invicta FC fight was not a success. But as she proved in her return bout, the disappointing debut was not an indicator of her potential.

“Tara LaRosa was the favorite,” Porto (15-5) told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “She had been ranked No. 1 in the world. I surprised a lot of people.”

Porto’s loss was a submission defeat at the hands of onetime Strikeforce fighter Sarah D’Alelio. But Porto rebounded with a decision win over LaRosa and has now been invited back for a third appearance under the Invicta FC banner. She now meets Barb Honchak (7-2) at tonight’s Invicta FC 5 event, which takes place at Ameristar Casino Hotel in Kansas City, Mo.

The pair meets with the promotion’s inaugural flyweight belt on the line. Fighting in the co-feature of the online pay-per-view, Porto enjoys her highest-profile fight to date, but she doesn’t believe there’s any reason for concern.

“For me, it’s just my job,” Porto said. “I’ve been training my entire life. I don’t feel pressure. I understand the historical significance, and Barb is a great fighter, but I don’t feel pressure because I’m well-trained.

“Invicta is growing rapidly. Many new girls are fighting for us now. It will be a great card. The belt is an added value to our competition, but I’m not feeling any stress.”

Porto still lives and trains in Brazil where her husband, former pro fighter Pedro Iglezia, handles head-coaching duties.

“He trains me in everything: standup, ground, nutrition, fitness, et cetera,” Porto said. “I’ve always worked with him.

“He stopped competing, and he’s concentrating on helping me in MMA. He’s working for me now. We improve during and between each new bout. The main thing is to keep my stamina up and keep improving the technical aspects, always getting better.”

The loss to D’Alelio remains Porto’s lone defeat in her past six appearances. But with the impressive win over LaRosa, she’s now in line to become champion in a promotion that seems primed to establish itself as a premier destination for female fighters.

Porto said the loss, while unfortunate, fueled her drive to tonight’s fight.

“In life, one always has losses and wins,” Porto said. “A loss like that forces one to work hard to overcome, to maintain a clear head and to keep moving forward. I’m always training hard and striving to win.”

For more on Invicta FC 5, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

For Aspen Ladd, Nothing Else Matters Beyond Invicta FC 18

Aspen Ladd is zeroed in on Jessica Hoy at Friday night's Invicta FC 18. For her, whatever comes next, comes next. read news >>

Trevin Giles Looking to Remain Unbeaten Against Josh Clark at RFA 41

Trevin Giles was slated to face recent UFC signee Tom Gigliotti at RFA 41 on July 29, but will now face Josh Clark in the evening’s middleweight main event. read news >>

Finally Healthy, Lynn Alvarez Returns Against Mizuki at Invicta FC 18

Lynn Alvarez will finally return to fighting on Friday, when she takes on late replacement Mizuki Inoue in a main card 115-pound bout at Invicta FC 18. read news >>

Jodie Esquibel ‘Feels Good’ About Invicta FC 18 Match-Up Against Unbeaten Alexa Grasso

Jodie Esquibel will have no easy task in her return to Invicta on Friday, when she faces undefeated prospect Alexa Grasso in the evening’s 115-pound main event. read news >>

BJ Penn Expects to Return in November, Reponds to Dana White’s Comments

B.J. Penn expects to return to the UFC in November and responds to Dana White's recent comments about him not living up to his full potential. read news >>

Amberlynn Orr Heads into Invicta FC 18 Looking to Turn Her World Right-Side Up

Bantamweight prospect Amberlynn Orr is looking to turn her world right-side up following a tumultuous start to her year in 2016. read news >>

Invicta FC 18 preview

Friday night at the Scottish Rite Temple in Kansas City, Kanvas, Invicta FC is set to deliver its 18th action-packed night of fights, including a main event that will decide the No. 1 contender for t read news >>

Invicta FC 18: Grasso vs. Esquibel Weigh-in Results and Video

Check out the Invicta FC 18 weigh-in results and video. Invicta FC 18 is headlined by a strawweight battle between Alexa Grasso and Jodie Esquibel. read news >>

Tessa Simpson is Punching Her Way to an Invicta FC Title Shot, One Fight at a Time

Tessa Simpson is taking her journey one fight at a time, but her ultimate goal is an Invicta FC title shot. read news >>

Invicta FC 18 Grasso vs. Esquibel: Live Results, Play-by-Play and Highlights

Invicta FC returns to Kansas City with a strawweight showdown leading the charge. Alexa Grasso squares off against Jodie Esquibel in the evening's five-round main event. It will be Grasso's first bou read news >>