Dennis Bermudez sees a lot of similarities between himself and UFC 157 opponent Matt Grice.

Ahead of the Feb. 23 featherweight matchup, he joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to break down Grice’s game, discuss why he started fighting and much more.

On his interest in MMA: “I never accomplished what I wanted to reach in wrestling. In high school I wanted to be a state champ. I wasn’t that. I didn’t even make it to state. Then going to college, I wanted to go to the national tournament. I wanted to be a national champ. I didn’t even make it to the national tournament. I was ranked very high and I was a freestyle All-American, and those were some of my goals, but that wasn’t the top goal I wanted to reach. I just felt unaccomplished throughout life and then I’d be watching fights and I’d be like, ‘Man, I can beat that guy. I know I can.’”

On whether he watches much MMA: “Believe it or not, I’m actually not a huge fan. I don’t really study too many guys. I actually don’t know too many guys other than the big-name guys or guys that I’ve trained with. I think that helps me a little bit. Because in wrestling, I was such a fan of the sport that I would know people I was about to go up against. It would almost take me down a notch like, ‘Oh man, I know this guy’s good at this.’ Whereas with MMA, I really don’t know too many things about a lot of guys. I just go in there and do my own thing.”

On Grice: “I know Matt is a wrestler who likes to throw hands. It’s kind of like I’m fighting a mirror image of myself, which is exciting. He was a really good wrestler coming out of high school, went into college and got hurt. He didn’t do anything in college and now he came on the scene in the UFC, did well, got cut and now he’s back.”

On losing fights via submission: “I think I just got caught. It’s not that I was getting beat prior to getting submitted or I was tired or anything like that. It was just bad positioning and getting caught.”

On switching gyms after his second loss: “I wasn’t a fan of jiu-jitsu at all. I’d use my wrestling and just beat on guys while they were down and then while I’ve been here at Long Island MMA, we’ve been working on my jiu-jitsu defense. I’m actually pretty hard to submit these days.”

On fighting on the UFC 157 card, which is headlined by Ronda Rousey and Liz Carmouche: “I’m on a card that’s part of history. It’s going to be the first UFC woman’s fight, and on top of that, they’re headliners. I’m excited about that. I’m going to be part of history. I look at it like that, and the card is stacked.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:07:49).

UFC 189 results: Jeremy Stephens stops Dennis Bermudez with jumping knee late in wild brawl

Dennis Bermudez warned Jeremy Stephens that he was in the wrong weight class after two straight losses and then "'Lil Heathen" came in four pounds heavy for their Featherweight fight tonight (Sat., J read news >>

UFC 189 live blog: Dennis Bermudez vs. Jeremy Stephens

This is the UFC 189 live blog for Dennis Bermudez vs. Jeremy Stephens, a catchweight bout at Saturday night's UFC event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.Bermudez, who has won four of his pa read news >>

UFC 189's Dennis Bermudez to Jeremy Stephens: 'Catch me if you can'

If you’ve watched Jeremy Stephens during his eight-year, 20-fight UFC career, you know about the striker’s weapons of choice. His UFC 189 opponent, meanwhile, isn’t exactly concerned.Filed under: Fea read news >>

UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor - Idiot's Guide Preview to Dennis Bermudez vs Jeremy Stephens

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about a featherweight fight likely to end violently in the first round for UFC 189 in Vegas this July 11, 2015. Featherweights look to mai read news >>

Thomas Almeida's Ascension Continues at UFC 189

LAS VEGAS — There was a lot of buzz surrounding Thomas Almeida's arrival to the UFC, and the 23-year-old Brazilian has lived up to the hype every step of the way. While the bantamweight phenom's upco read news >>

Dennis Bermudez: Jeremy Stephens has looked like 'he's going to die' during past 145 weight cuts

LAS VEGAS -- Dennis Bermudez discusses his long layoff, getting over his loss to Ricardo Lamas, his UFC 189 opponent Jeremy Stephens, the Conor McGregor show, why Costas Philippou retired, and more. read news >>

UFC reveals new logo, more visual changes to broadcasts, posters and websites

The UFC is tweaking a lot of things visually, most notably changing the logo they've used for years. UFC 189 will be a milestone of sorts for the world's top MMA promotion. Apart from a highly antici read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 12

Join us here tonight for live coverage of episode 12 of The Ultimate Fighter as the latest season sees its conclusion. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. J read news >>

'Predator' Groenhart: 'I want to beat Nieky Holzken up'

Murthel ‘The Predator' Groenhart achieved a lot of success when he dropped to lightweight, including his winning of the 2012 K-1 WORLD MAX tournament. But recently his results have been more mixed an read news >>

UFC 189 fight card: Dennis Bermudez vs Jeremy Stephens full fight preview

Dennis Bermudez and Jeremy Stephens will clash this Saturday (July 11, 2015) at UFC 189 inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. In a match up of heavy hitters, what adjustments must be ma read news >>