Tyron Woodley suffered the first loss of his career in July, dropping a Strikeforce welterweight title fight to Nate Marquardt via knockout.

However, he learned a lot about himself in the defeat and will take that knowledge with him to the UFC, where he’s set to debut Saturday against Jay Hieron at UFC 156. Ahead of the bout, Woodley joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show to discuss Hieron, Marquardt and more.

On his loss to Marquardt: “I just learned a lot about myself as a person. I think I grew as a fighter. I realized I’m a lot tougher than what I thought I was. I can take some hits and blows, though he did take me out of there with some devastating hits toward the end. I endured some hard punches before then. I gave some hard punches. It was a back-and-forth war for a while, and I just relaxed a little bit on the cage and he capitalized.”

On what exactly went wrong: “For me, when I was doing the game plan, what I was prepping for, when I was doing what I needed to do, I was having a lot of success in the fight. The only times that he really got a chance to get off was when I was kind of relaxing, backing up and letting him push the tempo. That’s what I learned from it: stick to my guns, stick to the game plan.”

On striking with Marquardt: “Not very many guys punch that hard or hit that hard or have that size. It gives me confidence against the rest of the guys. … I really don’t have that fear of any fighter. I really don’t even fear Nate, even after he finished me off with those elbows and uppercuts. I would love to fight him again. With that kind of mindset, it’s just making me go into the fight [against Hieron] a little bit more easy and a little bit more confident.”

On the move to the UFC: “I think it’s been long overdue. I’m a very patient individual, but sitting around and waiting, and waiting and waiting, is kind of nerve-wracking sometimes. It’s great to get the opportunity to be coming in and fighting a guy like Jay Hieron who’s been around the sport for a very long time. I’m not fighting somebody at the bottom of the food chain and have to chop the ladder down all the way from the bottom. It will be a good showcase. I think our styles of fighting match up well for a good fight and I think the fans will enjoy it.”

On Hieron: “I think Jay Hieron has several tools. I think that’s his advantage. He knows how to use his range. Not a lot of long guys know how to fight long. I think he does it very well. He frustrates his opponents. He gets them to overcommit. He mixes up kicks well with punches. He counters well. I think he’s a guy that’s going to be moving around, and if you’re not patient and if you don’t wait for your opportunities, I think he’ll have a good show against you.”

On how he matches up against Hieron: “I think I’ve probably got the advantage in power, probably the advantage in speed. He probably has the upper hand in experience. At the end of the day, fights aren’t fought on paper. We have to see what’s going to happen on the 2nd and I look forward to seeing what happens.”

On how the fight could play out: “You start hanging some nice little bonuses over our head, I don’t know what the hell might happen in there. I might go crazy. I’m coming to bring the fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 46:44).

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 203

Capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship is one thing; defending it is a different matter altogether. That's the challenge Stipe Miocic faces when he welcomes Alistair Overeem to Cleveland in the m read news >>

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

UFC's CM Punk Experiment Gets off to a Painful Start

CM Punk’s new career as an MMA fighter got off to a painful start on Saturday. Punk proved no match for Mickey Gall at UFC 203, as Gall wasted little time taking the former WWE wrestler down and scor read news >>

Alistair Overeem Thought Stipe Miocic Tapped, Fighters React on Twitter | MMAWeekly.com

After Alistair Overeem said he thought Stipe Miocic tapped out, interviewer Joe Rogan called him on it. What did the Rheem's fellow fighters say? read news >>

CM Punk’s Drawing Power Might Not Be Enough | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk’s UFC career may have been a one-and-done deal. The former WWE superstar made his professional fighting debut on Saturday at UFC 203 in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>

Backstage at BAMMA 26 | FIGHTLAND

The majority of the people on press row thought that Andy 'Taz' Young did enough to topple top rated European flyweight Rany Saadeh after their three round main event in Dublin at the weekend. Saadeh read news >>

Tyron Woodley v. Stephen Thompson Fight Announced for UFC 205: Details, Reaction

UFC 205 gained another fight Friday, as Fox Sports' Damon Martin reported that Tyron Woodley and Stephen Thompson will square off for the welterweight title on Nov. 12 from Madison Square Garden. She read news >>

Tyron Woodley Defends Welterweight Title at UFC New York | MMAWeekly.com

Although he'd been angling for "big money" fights, welterweight champ Tyron Woodley will have to settle for putting his belt on the line at UFC New York. read news >>