Tyron Woodley suffered the first loss of his career in July, dropping a Strikeforce welterweight title fight to Nate Marquardt via knockout.

However, he learned a lot about himself in the defeat and will take that knowledge with him to the UFC, where he’s set to debut Saturday against Jay Hieron at UFC 156. Ahead of the bout, Woodley joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show to discuss Hieron, Marquardt and more.

On his loss to Marquardt: “I just learned a lot about myself as a person. I think I grew as a fighter. I realized I’m a lot tougher than what I thought I was. I can take some hits and blows, though he did take me out of there with some devastating hits toward the end. I endured some hard punches before then. I gave some hard punches. It was a back-and-forth war for a while, and I just relaxed a little bit on the cage and he capitalized.”

On what exactly went wrong: “For me, when I was doing the game plan, what I was prepping for, when I was doing what I needed to do, I was having a lot of success in the fight. The only times that he really got a chance to get off was when I was kind of relaxing, backing up and letting him push the tempo. That’s what I learned from it: stick to my guns, stick to the game plan.”

On striking with Marquardt: “Not very many guys punch that hard or hit that hard or have that size. It gives me confidence against the rest of the guys. … I really don’t have that fear of any fighter. I really don’t even fear Nate, even after he finished me off with those elbows and uppercuts. I would love to fight him again. With that kind of mindset, it’s just making me go into the fight [against Hieron] a little bit more easy and a little bit more confident.”

On the move to the UFC: “I think it’s been long overdue. I’m a very patient individual, but sitting around and waiting, and waiting and waiting, is kind of nerve-wracking sometimes. It’s great to get the opportunity to be coming in and fighting a guy like Jay Hieron who’s been around the sport for a very long time. I’m not fighting somebody at the bottom of the food chain and have to chop the ladder down all the way from the bottom. It will be a good showcase. I think our styles of fighting match up well for a good fight and I think the fans will enjoy it.”

On Hieron: “I think Jay Hieron has several tools. I think that’s his advantage. He knows how to use his range. Not a lot of long guys know how to fight long. I think he does it very well. He frustrates his opponents. He gets them to overcommit. He mixes up kicks well with punches. He counters well. I think he’s a guy that’s going to be moving around, and if you’re not patient and if you don’t wait for your opportunities, I think he’ll have a good show against you.”

On how he matches up against Hieron: “I think I’ve probably got the advantage in power, probably the advantage in speed. He probably has the upper hand in experience. At the end of the day, fights aren’t fought on paper. We have to see what’s going to happen on the 2nd and I look forward to seeing what happens.”

On how the fight could play out: “You start hanging some nice little bonuses over our head, I don’t know what the hell might happen in there. I might go crazy. I’m coming to bring the fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 46:44).

Michael Bisping just threw a wrench in fellow UFC champ Tyron Woodley's plans

For the first time in his career, UFC welterweight champ Tyron Woodley is in high demand. All sorts of opponents are clamoring to fight him, and he’s determined to get the biggest matchup possible.Fi read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2357 with Tyron Woodley, Todd Duffee, Justin Ledet

Stream or download Friday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Tyron Woodley, Todd Duffee, Justin Ledet.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

After Helping Ronda Rousey Train, Raquel Pennington Sidelined by Surgery | MMAWeekly.com

Coming off of the biggest victory of her career, it will be a while before we see UFC bantamweight Raquel Pennington back in the Octagon. read news >>

BJ Penn's UFC Hall of Fame Speech (Fight Night Phoenix Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out former two-division UFC champion BJ Penn's Hall of Fame speech from July of 2015. He returns to the Octagon at UFC Phoenix on Jan. 15. read news >>

Champ Tyron Woodley threatens to give shot to Demian Maia over 'entitled' Stephen Thompson

On Sunday former title challenger Stephen Thompson took to Twitter to put in yet another public request for a rematch with UFC champion Tyron Woodley. The champ, of course, couldn’t just let it slide read news >>

Welterweight champ Tyron Woodley rematch with Stephen Thompson set for UFC 209

UFC welterweight champ [autotag]Tyron Woodley[/autotag] weighed his options, but ultimately "Wonderboy" will get his rematch. Woodley today announced on his podcast, "The Morning Wood Show," that he' read news >>

Tyron Woodley Reveals UFC 209 Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

After fighting Stephen Thompson to a draw at UFC 205 in November, welterweight champion Tyron Woodley on Monday revealed the next defense of his title. read news >>

Woodley-Wonderboy 2 set for UFC 209 main event

Following their instant classic last November, UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley and No. 1 contender Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson will meet again on Mar. 4 to settle the score in the main event read news >>

UFC Fight Night 103 pre-fight facts: Returning B.J. Penn seeks first win since 2010

The UFC Hall of Fame career of B.J. Penn will see another chapter on Sunday when “The Prodigy” again returns from a retirement, this time to face Yair Rodriguez in UFC Fight Night 103’s headliner. Ch read news >>

Evangelista 'Cyborg' Santos Retires: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos' mixed martial arts career has come to an end after 20 years. Cyborg announced his retirement from the sport in an interview with Guilherme Cruz of MMA Fighting on Monday. read news >>