Todd Duffee UFC 114

Todd Duffee at the UFC 114 weigh-ins

For only being 25 years old, Todd Duffee has seen an awful lot of the good side and the bad side of being a professional mixed martial artist. From his fast rise in the UFC to subsequent departure to where he’s at now, training and looking for the best opportunities the sport has to offer.

Now Duffee gives his insights in a monthly blog for to talk about his training, fighting, and thoughts on the MMA world.

This week, Todd explains his recent departure from the upcoming Dream 17 fight card in Japan, and his hopes for the future.

I have spent my entire life dreaming about being one of the best athletes in the world. I still have that same dream now. I am hungry as ever and I feel as if I can hang with the best of them. That is why I waited two weeks after my opponent dropped out of my fight to pull out. Dream officials were working on finding a replacement and even though I was already injured I was going to fight.

Fighting injured is just a part of the sport and if you are hungry you will take chances. So I gave Dream time and eventually they were not able to find me anyone willing to take the fight on short notice, so I pulled out. Even if I hadn’t taken my name off the list, it was a 99.9-percent chance Dream would not have found me a fight.

I have read that a lot of fans somehow question my heart or desire to be a fighter. That is all I want to do. I think about fighting and being the best I can be all the time. I am training and working my ass off to make sure if I ever get the opportunity I am ready.

To say that I have no heart or I do not want to fight is not fair. I am the guy that stepped up and fought the baddest heavyweight on the planet on short short notice.

I got knocked out, but seriously, how many of you would step in and fight a guy like Overeem on any kind of notice? I am all heart and I am working hard to make sure I can blend skill with that heart.

I am focusing on being the best. I am young and learning a lot about life, the MMA business and myself. I know nothing is perfect in life and I have learned to try not to force the issues but just prepare for opportunity. I am willing to fight anyone anywhere, I am committed to becoming a champion and making the sacrifices that a champion must make.

A lot of you need to realize that I am young and I have a lot to learn about the sport and life. I wasn’t even 10 years old when the UFC started. Time is on my side. I need to get as healthy as possible and continue training as hard as I can and be ready for whatever comes my way.

I love MMA, I love training and learning the sport. I know if I focus on those things everything else will take care of itself and my dreams will become reality. I am thankful to have great sponsors and training partners helping me along the way.

- Duffee

Mike Wilkinson on Makwan Amirkhani's callout: You're 'not on my level'

Makwan Amirkhani minced no words when he called for a future matchup with fellow UFC featherweight Mike Wilkinson, who’s now offered a response.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'The Ultimate Fighter 22' blog: James Jenkins on episode No. 5

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 22” cast member James Jenkins discusses the season’s fifth episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Seo Hee Ham vs. Cortney Casey joins finalized UFC Fight Night 79 lineup

A strawweight bout between Seo Hee Ham and Cortney Casey has joined the lineup for next month’s UFC Fight Night 79 event in South Korea.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The Most Powerful UFC Promo Ever, Featuring Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm

There are really no words to express how powerful the UFC 193: Rousey vs. Holm - Revolution promo is, so we're just going to show it to you. read news >>

'The Ultimate Fighter 22' blog: James Jenkins on episode No. 3

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 22” cast member James Jenkins discusses the season’s fourth episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rising UFC star Cody Garbrandt: Business as usual at Team Alpha Male, despite drama

TOKYO – A war of words between Team Alpha Male head Urijah Faber and ex-coach Duane Ludwig has made its way around the Internet. But UFC bantamweight Cody Garbrandt said it’s business as usual inside read news >>

Watch the Bellator 143: Warren vs. Davis Prelims LIVE on at 6:30 pm ET

Watch the Bellator 143: Warren vs. Davis Preliminary Bouts streaming live on at 6:30 p.m. ET / 3:30 p.m. PT. read news >>

Ronda named to Fortune's 40 under 40 list

UFC superstar Ronda Rousey joins luminaries such as Tesla CTO JB Straubel, pop sensation Taylor Swift, the CEO of Fitbit and 'Last Week Tonight' host John Oliver on Fortune's 40 under 40 list for 201 read news >>

'The Ultimate Fighter 22' blog: James Jenkins on episode No. 3

We left off last week with Ryan winning by heel hook and then next up we have Chris Gruetzemacher fighting Sascha Sharma. At the house we had a schedule up of everything going on that week and the ne read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Todd Duffee, Joey Diaz and Sammy T. Squid

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Todd Duffee, Joey Diaz and Sammy T. Squid.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>