Todd Duffee UFC 114

Todd Duffee at the UFC 114 weigh-ins

For only being 25 years old, Todd Duffee has seen an awful lot of the good side and the bad side of being a professional mixed martial artist. From his fast rise in the UFC to subsequent departure to where he’s at now, training and looking for the best opportunities the sport has to offer.

Now Duffee gives his insights in a monthly blog for MMAWeekly.com to talk about his training, fighting, and thoughts on the MMA world.

This week, Todd explains his recent departure from the upcoming Dream 17 fight card in Japan, and his hopes for the future.

Dreaming…

I have spent my entire life dreaming about being one of the best athletes in the world. I still have that same dream now. I am hungry as ever and I feel as if I can hang with the best of them. That is why I waited two weeks after my opponent dropped out of my fight to pull out. Dream officials were working on finding a replacement and even though I was already injured I was going to fight.

Fighting injured is just a part of the sport and if you are hungry you will take chances. So I gave Dream time and eventually they were not able to find me anyone willing to take the fight on short notice, so I pulled out. Even if I hadn’t taken my name off the list, it was a 99.9-percent chance Dream would not have found me a fight.

I have read that a lot of fans somehow question my heart or desire to be a fighter. That is all I want to do. I think about fighting and being the best I can be all the time. I am training and working my ass off to make sure if I ever get the opportunity I am ready.

To say that I have no heart or I do not want to fight is not fair. I am the guy that stepped up and fought the baddest heavyweight on the planet on short short notice.

I got knocked out, but seriously, how many of you would step in and fight a guy like Overeem on any kind of notice? I am all heart and I am working hard to make sure I can blend skill with that heart.

I am focusing on being the best. I am young and learning a lot about life, the MMA business and myself. I know nothing is perfect in life and I have learned to try not to force the issues but just prepare for opportunity. I am willing to fight anyone anywhere, I am committed to becoming a champion and making the sacrifices that a champion must make.

A lot of you need to realize that I am young and I have a lot to learn about the sport and life. I wasn’t even 10 years old when the UFC started. Time is on my side. I need to get as healthy as possible and continue training as hard as I can and be ready for whatever comes my way.

I love MMA, I love training and learning the sport. I know if I focus on those things everything else will take care of itself and my dreams will become reality. I am thankful to have great sponsors and training partners helping me along the way.

- Duffee

VIDEO: UFC vet Yves Edwards Dishes on L.A. and Breaks Down UFC 191

• 12 hours ago

New UFC on FOX analyst Yves Edwards joins MMAWeekly.com in Los Angeles to dish on his move to Cali, break down the UFC 191 fights, and he calls out his new co-horts. read news >>

Tweets of the Day: Chris Weidman and Michael Bisping trade insults

Luke Rockhold managed to drag Michael Bisping into his war of words with Chris Weidman, creating a whole new stream of banter. An offhand comment by Luke Rockhold managed to ignite a Twitter beef bet read news >>

Shane Mosley: It's an 'embarrassment' that MMA respects women more than boxing

"Sugar Shane" has never been one to mince words. Having added a title fight between IBF Women's Super Bantamweight Champion Yulihan Avila and Maureen "The Real Million-Dollar Baby" Shea to his upcomi read news >>

Alistair Overeem and Junior dos Santos exchange words on Twitter, demand fight

Alistair Overeem took matters in his own hands and challenged Junior dos Santos via Twitter. The Brazilian gladly accepted. Sometimes a man has to take matters into his own hands. Alistair Overeem di read news >>

Bellator 141's Lorenzo Hood has harsh words for 'Kimbo Slice' and Bobby Lashley

Lorenzo Hood has yet to make his Bellator debut, but already he’s shooting for the biggest names in the heavyweight division. Those callouts come with good reason.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Cris Cyborg passes drug test, claims Ronda Rousey is a bully who's out of excuses

The never ending war of words between UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey and Invicta FC Featherweight Titleholder Cristiane Justino always seems to come back to the discrepancy in their w read news >>

Former Couture Coach Neil Melanson Joins Blackzilians, Says CM Punk Victory is a Big Ask

A key coach at Xtreme Couture and then Alliance MMA, Neil Melanson has joined the Blackzilians. He talks about the move and CM Punk's UFC debut. read news >>

Brendan Schaub slams MMA media for twisting his words over Ronda Rousey

UFC fighter and personality Brendan Schaub takes back his comments about Ronda Rousey. Brendan Schaub has been the subject of controversy this week after the former heavyweight contender made some le read news >>

Not-manly Brendan Schaub clarifies Ronda Rousey comments, slams MMA media for twisting his words and 'setting the sport

Those idiots in the mixed martial arts (MMA) media are at it again. Just imagine how far along this sport would be if it weren't for the hack "journalists" and their GOTCHA headlines. And don't even read news >>

Ronda Rousey Claims She Would Beat Floyd Mayweather in Ruleless Fight

The war of words between Floyd Mayweather and Ronda Rousey shows no signs of ceasing, with the latter insisting she could take the undefeated American boxer in a no-rules fight. As noted by ESPN.co.u read news >>