If You’re a Lightweight, John Alessio is After You

• submit to reddit

John AlessioAfter a bit of a stumble to start out last year, John “The Natural” Alessio righted his ship and is coming into his first fight of 2012 on a winning streak.

“Obviously the year started a little bit shaky with the Siyar (Bahadurzada) fight and all those shenanigans, but after that, the year went pretty good,” said Alessio. “I rattled off two wins; I won my debut at lightweight (against Luiz Firmino). So I’m pretty happy with the way the year ended.”

Originally scheduled to face Ryan Healy in December, Alessio will get his opportunity to make his televised debut at lightweight when the two finally meet at Score Fighting Series on March 16 in Edmonton, Ontario.

“I really feel like I’m better everywhere than him,” said Alessio. “I feel like I’m going to be able to dictate where this fight goes – and that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

“I feel like I can finish him. Once the choke is on, he can be as resilient as he wants, but after about seven seconds, he’s going to sleep. He can take a punch and he can take a beating, but I feel I have the power to knock him out.”

Alessio told MMAWeekly.com that with an impressive win over Healy, he hopes to attract the attention of the UFC and return to Zuffa for the first time since 2008 when he was with the WEC.

“This is a fight where I feel like I can look really good and impress them and let them know how ready I am,” he said.

“I’m really hoping to get on that July Calgary UFC card. That’s close to my home town and I’ve fought in Alberta numerous times with the MFC and other shows. I have a good following in Alberta and British Columbia which is right next to it.”

After an admittedly destructive life outside the cage when he first was with the company, Alessio feels he’s turned his life around and can be the kind of fighter that can set an example for others around him.

“I’ve changed my life. I’m a good man, a good husband, and am trying to be a good father,” he said. “I’m trying to do everything right. I’m ready to be a positive role model to other fighters and kids who are into the sport.

“I’m not the one who’s out there popping drug tests, popping for steroids, or not making weight and all these things that fighters seem to get rewarded for. I’d like to portray an opposite role there.”

Having made great strides to improve both inside and outside the cage in recent years, Alessio feels this could be his year, and that other 155-pound fighters had best take notice.

“Obviously Ben Henderson is the man, Frankie Edgar is the man, but I really feel I can compete with those guys and beat them,” he said. “I don’t feel like there’s anybody in the weight class that I’m scared of or don’t want to fight. I invite every opportunity there is.

“If you’re a lightweight, you’re in my way and I’m coming for you.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Anthony Pettis will defend his UFC lightweight title December 6 against top contender Gilbert Melendez at UFC 181.
The fight will be Pettis' first title defense. For that matter, it's the first bout of any kind for "Showtime" since he won the belt from Benson Henderson last August at UFC 164.
Pettis himself broke the news Monday while a guest on The MMA Hour broadcast with host Ariel Helwani. "December 6 is going to be the date of my next fight; it'll be out here in Vegas," Pettis said. "I got w more

After seeing UFC lightweight Jim Miller given time to recover from a phantom low blow in his main event bout with Donald Cerrone on Jul. 16 in Atlantic City we saw another instance of the blown call Saturday night in San Jose. During the main event between welterweights Robbie Lawler and Matt Brown at UFC on FOX 12, referee John McCarthy halted action during the third round after Lawler hurt Brown with a shot to the abdomen. McCarthy called the shot low, but replays indicated it to be clean abov more

• a day ago

Lewis Gonzalez had a WSOF lightweight title fight in his grasp once before, and he isn’t about to let it slip through the cracks again.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, WSOF more

When thinking about competitors who lack experience inside the Octagon, prospects come to mind.
However, some of the best fighters in the world have only had a couple of UFC bouts. A select few, such as Eddie Alvarez, have never even competed on the biggest stage in MMA.
While it's not easy to climb the ranks in smaller promotions, highly ranked UFC newcomers can fight their way to a championship rather quickly. Right now, multiple fighters with less than four UFC appearances are set to compete more

Although he lost a good chunk of time in his career, Stefan Struve is fortunate to be returning to the cage after a heart condition put his health at risk.Filed under: News, UFC more

A lightweight tilt between Takanori Gomi and Myles Jury has been added to the UFC’s Sept. 20 return to Japan. more

An intriguing lightweight matchup has been added to the UFC’s return to Japan, as Takanori Gomi meets Myles Jury.Filed under: News, UFC more

T.J. Dillashaw’s first title defense will come in his backyard, and it will likely come against a familiar foe. more

Chris Wiedman defends his Middleweight belt against Lyoto Machida this weekend in Vegas along with Ronda Rousey against Alexis Davis. I hear your Dallas Stars won the NHL arms race yesterday. Congrats.
Thanks buddy.
Yes, Jim Nill is awesome. Getting Spezza to potentially center a second line with Hemsky and Nichushkin sounds fantastic with Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn hopefully getting any one of the many right wingers in our system who can replace Chiasson. It's not enough to beat Chicago, St. L more