Jake Ellenberger didn’t come out swinging in his win over Jay Hieron at UFC on FX 5 because he figured that was exactly what Hieron expected him to do.

“Me and Jay, we’ve fought before and I’ve actually trained at Xtreme Couture quite a bit,” Ellenberger told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “They’re all very familiar with me. I feel they were expecting me to come in hard and a little bit reckless like I did with [Martin] Kampmann. I knew I had to be a little smarter and not expose myself as much as I did in my last fight.”

In that June bout against Kampmann, who is a teammate of Hieron’s at Xtreme Couture, Ellenberger hurt his opponent in the opening round but ate a big knee and was stopped in the second. The defeat made an impact on Ellenberger.

“I kind of realized how important having a tight defense is,” he said. “When you’re really offensive, like I normally am, at the same time it leaves you vulnerable. You’re exposed. That’s when you’re most vulnerable for getting caught or a submission. I had to stay smart. I didn’t want to just go beefcake-meathead style like usual and potentially get caught or something crazy.”

The strategy worked, as Ellenberger earned a unanimous decision (29-28 on all three cards). In victory, he avenged a June 2006 loss to Hieron, which was nice but not really one of his main motivating factors.

“When I lost to Jay, I was young,” Ellenberger said. “To be honest, that wasn’t the hardest thing to swallow -- it was when I lost to Kampmann. [The Kampmann loss] really didn’t sit well with me because I know my potential. I know I can beat him. Just the way it ended -- it was really, really unsettling for me. It kind of makes you realize how hungry, how much you really want something.”

Ellenberger had won six in a row before losing to Kampmann. Now he’s started what could be another win streak, and he’s hoping with another two or three victories, he’ll be back in the title hunt. Until then, there’s no doubt in his mind whom he would like to fight next.

“It would be Martin Kampmann,” Ellenberger said. “No question.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 13:09).

Matt Brown isn’t sleeping on Jake Ellenberger

Jake Ellenberger may have only taken one victory in his last six outings, but Matt ‘The Immortal’ Brown certainly knows better than to think he’s in for an easy night’s work on July 30 at UFC 201. read news >>

UFC 201 Results: Underdog Jake Ellenberger Stops Matt Brown in the First

Jake Ellenberger picked up a big win on Saturday, stopping Matt Brown in the first round of their fight at UFC 201 in Atlanta. read news >>

Matt Brown vs. Jake Ellenberger: Results and Reaction from UFC 201

Wow. Anyone else need a cigarette after that? No one would blame you if you did. Welterweight action fighters Matt Brown and Jake Ellenberger brought some thunder to Atlanta at UFC 201, with Ellenber read news >>

UFC 201 Fighter Bonuses: Jake Ellenberger, Other Main Carders, Take Top Honors

Jake Ellenberger led the charge as the top three fights at UFC 201 scooped up the $50,000 post-fight bonuses. read news >>

UFC 201 Fight Highlights: Jake Ellenberger Makes Quick Work of Matt Brown

Check out the UFC 201 fight highlights from the bout between Matt Brown and Jake Ellenberger. read news >>

UFC Welterweight Class: Hot Mess or Hotter Than Ever After Woodley's Title Win?

It didn’t take the MMA world long to get comfortable with Robbie Lawler as UFC welterweight champion. Any initial doubts about the future of the 170-pound division without Georges St-Pierre quickly s read news >>

Cody Garbrandt vs. Takeya Mizugaki Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

It didn’t take long, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to deny Cody Garbrandt of a UFC title shot at 135 pounds. Garbrandt (10-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) took the center of the cage right away during UF read news >>

Nate Diaz Video: ‘I Didn’t Think for a Second That I Lost’ (UFC 202)

Nate Diaz may have ended up on the wrong end of the decision at UFC 202 on Saturday night, but he didn't think for a second that he had lost to Conor McGregor. read news >>