Jake Ellenberger didn’t come out swinging in his win over Jay Hieron at UFC on FX 5 because he figured that was exactly what Hieron expected him to do.

“Me and Jay, we’ve fought before and I’ve actually trained at Xtreme Couture quite a bit,” Ellenberger told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “They’re all very familiar with me. I feel they were expecting me to come in hard and a little bit reckless like I did with [Martin] Kampmann. I knew I had to be a little smarter and not expose myself as much as I did in my last fight.”

In that June bout against Kampmann, who is a teammate of Hieron’s at Xtreme Couture, Ellenberger hurt his opponent in the opening round but ate a big knee and was stopped in the second. The defeat made an impact on Ellenberger.

“I kind of realized how important having a tight defense is,” he said. “When you’re really offensive, like I normally am, at the same time it leaves you vulnerable. You’re exposed. That’s when you’re most vulnerable for getting caught or a submission. I had to stay smart. I didn’t want to just go beefcake-meathead style like usual and potentially get caught or something crazy.”

The strategy worked, as Ellenberger earned a unanimous decision (29-28 on all three cards). In victory, he avenged a June 2006 loss to Hieron, which was nice but not really one of his main motivating factors.

“When I lost to Jay, I was young,” Ellenberger said. “To be honest, that wasn’t the hardest thing to swallow -- it was when I lost to Kampmann. [The Kampmann loss] really didn’t sit well with me because I know my potential. I know I can beat him. Just the way it ended -- it was really, really unsettling for me. It kind of makes you realize how hungry, how much you really want something.”

Ellenberger had won six in a row before losing to Kampmann. Now he’s started what could be another win streak, and he’s hoping with another two or three victories, he’ll be back in the title hunt. Until then, there’s no doubt in his mind whom he would like to fight next.

“It would be Martin Kampmann,” Ellenberger said. “No question.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 13:09).

UFC Fight Night 81 results: Dominick Cruz regains title with split over T.J. Dillashaw

BOSTON – Dominick Cruz didn’t lose his bantamweight title in the cage and T.J. Dillashaw needed to beat him to prove that he was the true champion. Unfortunately for Dillashaw, Cruz returned in his o read news >>

Dominick Cruz's win, like his comeback, a testament to resilience and resolve

Dominick Cruz didn’t dominate T.J. Dillashaw to reclaim the UFC bantamweight title that he never technically lost, but after all he’s been through, maybe that’s the most fitting way for Cruz to burst read news >>

Urijah Faber: Dillashaw got manipulated, can't foresee return to Team Alpha Male

BOSTON – Urijah Faber didn’t want to come to Boston to see live the UFC bantamweight title fight between T.J. Dillashaw and Dominick Cruz. He was there because he got paid – sort of.Filed under: Feat read news >>

How a couple of eyepokes changed Matt Mitrione’s career plans (spoiler: they didn’t)

UFC heavyweight Matt Mitrione expects to undergo surgery Monday for an orbital blowout fracture he suffered from a Travis Browne punch at UFC Fight Night 81.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 results: Randy Brown outworks Matt Dwyer for decision win

NEWARK, N.J. – Randy Brown didn’t exactly blow away the competition in his UFC debut, but when pushed to the limit by Matt Dwyer, the much-hyped prospect did just enough to win in a very close fight. read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 results: Tarec Saffiedine outworks Jake Ellenberger for decision

NEWARK, N.J. – For a fight that was a year in the making, the match-up between Tarec Saffiedine and Jake Ellenberger seemed a bit past its expiration date by the time the two made it into the cage to read news >>

Fighter reactions to Sage Northcutt's UFC on FOX 18 loss were harsh to say the least

Sage Northcutt’s fellow fighters didn’t hesitate to kick him while he was down after the 19-year-old suffered the first defeat of his career on Saturday at UFC on FOX 18.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC newcomer Randy Brown 'can't wait to do it again'

NEWARK, N.J. – Randy Brown didn’t quite make the same impact as the man who blazed the trail he took to the UFC, Sage Northcutt, but “Rude Boy” said he felt comfortable in his win and is ready to go read news >>