Lyoto Machida at UFC 104

Lyoto Machida

Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida says he can make the 185-pound division and wants to fight at middleweight at some point during his UFC tenure.

The former light heavyweight champion will not fight his friend and training partner, middleweight titleholder Anderson Silva, but wants to challenge himself in the lighter weight class and says the UFC can pick his opponent.

“Maybe I can fight in both classes. Everybody saw that I drink water before I get on the scale,” Machida said during the UFC 157 open workouts on Wednesday.  “If I have the chance, I want to fight at 185 in the UFC.

“Not a title shot.  The champion is my friend, Anderson Silva.  He’s the number one pound-for-pound in the world, but I can do a couple of challenges,” he said.  “The UFC can choose for me.”

Machida (18-3) has fought his entire career at light heavyweight or higher.  There are some that are skeptical whether he can make the cut.  He was walking around between 210 and 212 pounds on Wednesday, but Machida plans to prove the critics wrong.

“I can and I’m going to show them,” He said.

Machida takes on Dan Henderson in the co-main event at UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche on Saturday.  A win could put him in line for a title shot in the light heavyweight division.

Lyoto Machida confident he can make another run at UFC middleweight title

Can you dig the confidence? Despite getting finished in his last two bouts, Lyoto Machida is confident he can make another run at the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Middleweight strap. But, "Th read news >>

3 Matches to Make for Fedor Emelianenko in the UFC Heavyweight Division

When former Pride FC champion Fedor Emelianenko announced last month that he'd be returning to MMA competition, he immediately become the biggest free agent on the market. Given the Russian's relatio read news >>

The Good, Bad and Strange from Fight Night 73

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The state of the UFC's light heavyweight division is one that is wide-open, with a handful of hungry contenders looking to make their move into title contention. The main event til read news >>

Glory 23 post-fight analysis: Fights to make for the main card fighters

Play matchmaker in the wake of Glory 23, as Bloody Elbow predicts what is next for the main card fighters. Glory 23 Las Vegas is a wrap, and what was not the most star-studded event on paper ended up read news >>

'Big Ben' warns the heavyweight division: ‘The tsunami of Rothwell is coming’

LAS VEGAS -- It's not quite a secret that aside from a few exceptions, the names strewn over the UFC's heavyweight landscape look like a snapshot straight out of 2010. With average age of nearly 35 y read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux: 'I have the most knockout power in the UFC light heavyweight division'

When Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) kicks things off this Sat. night (Aug. 8, 2015) for UFC Fight Night 73 in Nashville, Tennessee, it will invade "Music City" with a light heavyweight main eve read news >>

Mayweather responds to Rousey: 'Make $300 million in 36 minutes, then call me'

Floyd Mayweather Jr. tried to fire back at Ronda Rousey during an appearance on ESPN’s SportsCenter following some sharp comments from the UFC women’s bantamweight champion after winning the ESPY for read news >>

Video: Floyd Mayweather responds to Ronda Rousey ESPY snub, 'Call me when you make $300 million per fight'

Undefeated boxing kingpin Floyd Mayweather Jr. was making the media rounds on Thursday to promote his upcoming title fight against Andre Berto in September (more on that here). That included a visit read news >>

Video: Mayweather tells Ronda Rousey: Call me when you make over $300 million in 36 mins

The verbal jabs continue between two of combat sports' biggest stars in Floyd Mayweather and Ronda Rousey. Following her ESPY win, Ronda Rousey took a dig at Floyd Mayweather and his domestic violenc read news >>

Floyd Mayweather to Ronda Rousey: Call me when you can make over $300 million in 36 minutes

The manufactured feud between Floyd Mayweather and Ronda Rousey continues. On Thursday night, Mayweather, the most popular boxer in the world, took a verbal swipe at Rousey on ESPN's SportsCenter. Th read news >>