If Given the Chance, Lyoto Machida Wants to Fight at 185 in the UFC

Lyoto Machida at UFC 104

Lyoto Machida

Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida says he can make the 185-pound division and wants to fight at middleweight at some point during his UFC tenure.

The former light heavyweight champion will not fight his friend and training partner, middleweight titleholder Anderson Silva, but wants to challenge himself in the lighter weight class and says the UFC can pick his opponent.

“Maybe I can fight in both classes. Everybody saw that I drink water before I get on the scale,” Machida said during the UFC 157 open workouts on Wednesday. “If I have the chance, I want to fight at 185 in the UFC.

“Not a title shot. The champion is my friend, Anderson Silva. He’s the number one pound-for-pound in the world, but I can do a couple of challenges,” he said. “The UFC can choose for me.”

Machida (18-3) has fought his entire career at light heavyweight or higher. There are some that are skeptical whether he can make the cut. He was walking around between 210 and 212 pounds on Wednesday, but Machida plans to prove the critics wrong.

“I can and I’m going to show them,” He said.

Machida takes on Dan Henderson in the co-main event at UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche on Saturday. A win could put him in line for a title shot in the light heavyweight division.

"The Dragon" stated that he'll keep fighting in the Middleweight division and wants to work his way towards a title shot. Lyoto Machida wants to build his way back to another title shot in the UFC's read news >>

• 18 hours ago

A major fight in the UFC middleweight division is reportedly under discussion. Luke Rockhold, who has won two straight and has long requested a big-time opponent, may face Lyoto Machida, the former l read news >>

Because my training partners are better than yours. As Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones gear up to begin their training camps for their upcoming light heavyweight title fight at UFC 178 on Sept., 27, 201 read news >>

Not a bad idea. If he can't have this Brazilian bomber, perhaps Luke Rockhold would be willing to settle for another. Lyoto Machida, who is fresh off a wildly-entertaining five-round war against Ulti read news >>

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has always maintained he'd be open to facing middleweight champion Chris Weidman in a 'super fight,' but hasn't always seemed so attentive to the idea. In Feb read news >>

• a day ago

A middleweight match-up between division standouts Lyoto Machida and Luke Rockhold is being targeted by the UFC, according to a report on Wednesday afternoon. read news >>

While Daniel Cormier has accomplished much in his brief mixed martial arts career, the title of UFC champion has thus far eluded him. Naturally, Cormier is hoping to change that fact on September 27t read news >>

Daniel Cormier says he's looking to work with two former UFC champions in Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida to get ready for Jon Jones. Daniel Cormier already trains with high level champions such as read news >>

Lyoto Machida needed a pair of wins at 185 pounds to earn a shot at the UFC middleweight gold against Chris Weidman, but he won’t quit his dream just yet. "The Dragon", who suffered a unanimous decis read news >>