The waiting game for a fighter is sometimes the toughest spot in the world to sit in, but Martin Kampmann is completely okay with that right now.

The battle tested welterweight is coming off two hard fought wars in recent months in which he submitted Thiago Alves and then knocked out Jake Ellenberger, putting him in prime position as a top contender in the welterweight division.

The only problem is everyone is still waiting on word from UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre that he’ll officially be ready to return in November and face interim champion Carlos Condit at UFC 154.

If that happens, Kampmann will face Johny Hendricks on the same card in November, with the winner getting a shot at the title.

Right now, however, after a busy start to 2012, Kampmann is ready to deal with a few nagging injuries and spend some much needed time with his family.

“I’m looking forward just to taking some time off and come home and see the family, and heal up. Then when I come back, I’ll be 100-percent and back in hard training mode,” Kampmann told MMAWeekly Radio after his win at The Ultimate Fighter Finale.

Kampmann just underwent minor knee surgery to clean up some problems he’s had for his last few fights in the Octagon, and then he’s headed home to Denmark for an entire month to see his friends and family.

Upon his return, Kampmann will be ready to conquer whatever challenge the UFC puts in front of him.

The most notable match-up would be a shot at the UFC welterweight title, and if Georges St-Pierre won’t be ready by November, interim champ Carlos Condit has stated he would gladly face Kampmann instead.

See, Kampmann welcomed Condit to the UFC back in April 2009 and proceeded to hand the former WEC champion a split decision loss, which stands as his only defeat inside the Octagon.

Kampmann knows Condit wants a rematch, and if it just so happens that there’s a title on the line, all the much better.

“Sounds great to me, I’m down, I want to fight Carlos. I want to get that title,” Kampmann said.

“Carlos, he wants that rematch; he’s told me so himself. Of course now that he’s got the belt, I’d be more than happy to give it to him. It’s a perfect opportunity for me to step in.”

The unfortunate side of this whole scenario is that it’s all predicated on St-Pierre’s presumable return. If he’s healthy and ready to go by November, he’ll face Condit in a title unification bout.

If he’s not ready, Kampmann is more than ready to step in against Condit, but his opinion doesn’t matter, and neither does Condit’s in the big picture.

It’s all up to the UFC.

“I can’t do much besides waiting and heal up,” said Kampmann. “If it’s a title fight, I’ll take that on any day. I can’t do much, I can’t change stuff how everything’s going to go in the UFC. The UFC makes all the decisions in the end.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Dec. 27: Can Ronda Rousey take back her No. 1 spot?

This weekend’s UFC 207 card is full of intriguing matchups, but there’s much on the line in the evening’s main event.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Nunes vs. Rousey: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 207

After 411 days of waiting since her last fight, Ronda Rousey will make her long-awaited return to the Octagon against Amanda Nunes in the main event at UFC 207. Friday's bout represents an opportunit read news >>

UFC 207's Ronda Rousey driven by the memory of her father

LOS ANGELES – As she heads into the toughest challenge of her MMA career on Friday, Ronda Rousey will seek comfort from a familiar source.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov asks for fight the 'whole world is waiting for' against Tony Ferguson

After UFC president Dana White shot down an interim fight between top contenders Khabib Numargumedov and Tony Ferguson, Nurmagumedov took to twitter to once again ask for the fight “that whole world read news >>

UFC 207's Antonio Carlos Junior putting the focus on smart, healthy training

Antonio Carlos Junior is still relatively young in his MMA and UFC career, and he hopes the changes he’s making in his training camps assure he has a long fighting future ahead of him.Filed under: Ne read news >>

Free agent WSOF champ Marlon Moraes 'motivated' by Garbrandt vs. Cruz: 'I saw that I'm at that level'

Waiting on offers following the end of his WSOF contract, bantamweight champ Marlon Moraes has a simple desire as far his immediate future goes: “My idea is to fight the best and be valued for that.” read news >>

Cat Zingano blasts 'disrespectful' champ Amanda Nunes

UFC women’s bantamweight contender Cat Zingano isn’t impressed with how Amanda Nunes has carried herself since a one-sided UFC 207 win over Ronda Rousey – and is promising to do something about it. read news >>

Despite UFC debut loss, Marcin Held thinks he got a step up in competition with Joe Lauzon

MESA, Ariz. – Marcin Held isn’t looking for any gimme fights in the UFC. The promotion has made sure to oblige to that request by giving him Joe Lauzon in just his second UFC appearance.Filed under: read news >>

UFC's Kelvin Gastelum bothered by weight doubts but admits 'I've brought it onto myself'

• a day ago

Happy with the headliner spot opposite “legend” Vitor Belfort in Brazil, Kelvin Gastelum says his future as far as weight divisions go is riding on one simple factor: “I want a fight that will get me read news >>