Herschel Walker not done with MMA, wants one more fight in the UFC

• submit to reddit

herschel-walker-5.jpgMore than two years have passed since 51-year-old Herschel Walker entered an MMA cage, but the former NFL great wants one more shot – in the UFC.

Walker, who scored a pair of knockout wins over lower-level opponents with the now-defunct Strikeforce promotion, hasn’t closed the door on his MMA career, which followed the running back’s Heisman Trophy campaign at the University of Georgia and a successful NFL run.

“I’d love to do it again,” Walker recently told the LaVar Arrington Show with Chad Dukes (106.7 The Fan in Washington, D.C.). “I absolutely love MMA. I think it’s an excellent sport.”

Walker announced his MMA intentions in 2007 and signed with Strikeforce in 2009. While some dismissed it as a publicity stint, Walker hooked up with the famed American Kickboxing Academy in California. Teammates such as Cain Velasquez and Daniel Cormier raved about his professionalism and work ethic, and Walker, a taekwondo black belt, earned some credibility with his stoppage wins over Greg Nagy and former WEC fighter Scott Carson. But he hasn’t competed since January 2011.

“If I were younger, I’d be doing it right now,” Walker said. “Because I’m a little bit older and I have a business going, I say I’d like to do one more fight, and then I think it’s time for me to step aside and give it to the young people. But I’d like to do one more fight.”

He said he wants that fight to be in the UFC, which purchased Strikeforce in 2011 and disbanded it earlier this year. But as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported in early 2012, UFC President Dana White said Walker probably wouldn’t be competitive in the UFC’s heavyweight division and suggested an octagon debut was unlikely.

But that hasn’t stopped would-be opponents from calling him out.

“I’ve had a couple of people talk about they want to fight me,” Walker said. “I’m like, ‘Guys, you all are calling me out. It’s almost like saying you want to plan on your homecoming game. But you better bring more than your lunch because I love this sport.’

“I don’t like losing. I like to get it on a little bit.”

This Wednesday's UFC Fight Night 45 in Atlantic City, New Jersey, is headlined by a lightweight clash between the Garden State's own Jim Miller and Donald Cerrone. This is a matchup with major title implications, therefore making it a pivotal scrap inside the Octagon at 155 pounds. Miller, the most recognizable face from Whippany, New Jersey's AMA Fight Club, enters the bout ranked as the No. 7 lightweight in the world, according to the UFC's official rankings. The 30-year-old was a dark-horse t more

The kickboxing champ showed up at UFC Dublin yesterday and told Dana White he wants just one fight in the Octagon.
Tyron Spong was last seen snapping his shin in a Glory kickboxing event but apparently he's well enough to show up backstage at yesterday's UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao and ask UFC president Dana White for a chance to compete in the Octagon.
"I've got Tyrone Spong back here telling me, ‘Sign me for one fight,' White said at Saturday's post-fight press conference. "I want to more

The last time fans saw Tyrone Spong in action the result was a horrific injury. Now, UFC President Dana White is hinting that the next time we see Spong fight, it could be inside the Octagon.
While speaking at the post-fight press conference for UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao, White surprised everyone by saying "The King of the Ring" Spong was in the building.
"I've got Tyrone Spong back here telling me, ‘Sign me for one fight,'" White said.
Spong last competed under the Glory promotion a more

A fight between Tim Kennedy and Yoel Romero -- two surging middleweights in the UFC -- has been booked for UFC 178, which is set to take place in Las Vegas. The Las Vegas Review first reported the bout.
Kennedy has won four fights in a row going back to his Strikeforce days, and is 3-0 in the UFC. He is coming off an impressive one-sided decision victory over Michael Bisping at the TUF Nations Finale in April. Kennedy currently sits at No. 6 on the media driven UFC rankings.
The Cuban wrestler R more

MMA Fighting has the UFC Fight Night 45 fight card for the Cerrone vs. Miller fight card July 16 at the Revel Casino in Atlantic City, N.J.In the main event, Donald Cerrone will square off against Jim Miller in a lightweight contest. Edson Barboza will battle Evan Dunham in the co-main event.Check out the UFC Fight Night 45 fight card below.Main card (FOX Sports 1 at 9 p.m. ET)Donald Cerrone vs. Jim MillerEdson Barboza vs. Evan DunhamRick Story vs. Leonardo MafraJustin Salas vs. Joe ProctorJohn more

After 16 fights in the UFC over a stretch of nearly nine years, Brandon Vera has a new fighting home.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News more

MMA Fighting has the UFC Fight Night 46 fight card for the McGregor vs. Brandao event July 19 at The 02 Arena in Dublin, Ireland.In the main event, Conor McGregor squares off against Diego Brandao in a featherweight contest. Gunnar Nelson will meet Zak Cummings in the co-main event.Check out the UFC Fight Night 46 fight card below.Main card (UFC Fight Pass at 3 p.m. ET)Conor McGregor vs. Diego BrandaoGunnar Nelson vs. Zak CummingsBrad Pickett vs. Ian McCallNorman Parke vs. Naoyuki KotaniUndercar more

“The Ultimate Fighter 8? winner Efrain Escudero is once again back in the UFC.Filed under: News, UFC more

At UFC Fight Night 46 in Dublin, Ireland, hometown favorite Conor McGregor will look to move closer to a featherweight title shot when he takes on Diego Brandao in the night’s main event. McGregor is 2-0 inside the Octagon and faces a dangerous opponent in The Ultimate Fighter Season 14 winner Brandao.
Before McGregor and Brandao throw down in the featherweight headliner, there are a number of fighters competing who haven’t looked so good lately and may need a win if they want to stay in the UFC more