george-roop-11.jpgGeorge Roop freely admits he’s not the most talented guy in the UFC’s bantamweight division, but he’s confident he’s the hardest worker. He may also be the most durable.

“If you asked me who the winner of Season 8 of ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ was, I’m going to tell you it’s George Roop because I’m the only one left in the UFC,” Roop told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

Although the 31-year-old Roop is leaving out the heavier members of the cast, who competed in the light-heavyweight division and still are represented in the octagon, he is the only lightweight competitor left from the season.

Of course, he long ago vacated the 155-pound class in which he then competed, cutting first to featherweight and then to the bantamweight class, where his physical gifts are the most apparent.

Gaunt at 135 pounds, Roop returned to featherweight and went 2-3-1 in the division before deciding to make the precipitous drop to bantamweight. In his most recent appearance at UFC 158, he likely saved his job with a decision win over Rueben Duran, which followed back-to-back losses.

At 6-1, Roop (13-9-1 MMA, 3-5 UFC) is three inches short of a footlong height advantage over his next opponent, ex-WEC champ Brian Bowles (10-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC), whom he meets on the Facebook-streamed preliminary card of UFC 160 on Saturday at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

But Roop would like to do more than just beat Bowles. He’d like to go on a run in the division and cement his status as a top 10 bantamweight.

“I feel I’m a little bit under-appreciated sometimes,” he said. “And not just under-appreciated; I don’t get the respect that I deserve.

“Respect shouldn’t just be given to you. You should go out and earn it, and on Saturday night, I’m going to earn my respect. I’m going to open up a lot of eyes and show that I belong in the top 10 of the bantamweight division.”

It’s not an all-or-nothing goal. Roop said he could easily go back to the working world as a pharmacy tech, and his wife makes a handsome living in the pharmaceutical industry. He’s also been a meticulous saver, putting away money earned from his fight purses instead of splurging. He said he’d be fine if UFC matchmakers told him to hang up his gloves. But he still feels he has years left to accomplish more.

“I’ve been very inconsistent under the Zuffa banner,” he said. “I’d like to earn some consistent wins.”

Oddsmakers have him as a solid underdog in the matchup with Bowles, who’s returning from a year-plus layoff, but Roop said that’s nothing new. He’s used to fighting to prove others wrong.

“Let’s face it: I think the only fight under the Zuffa banner that I’ve had an advantage is my last fight,” Roop said.

If he’s bet on himself, that means an extra bonus if he pulls off the upset. It would also be another testament to his staying power.

“[Bowles is] going to have a terrible time managing my distance,” Roop said. “I’m better in the wrestling department. I can decide where this fight goes. I’m better on the ground than he is. And I definitely have a bigger heart, although I don’t believe that’s what wins fights. I believe hard work in the gym wins fights.

“I might not be the most talented guy out there, but my work ethic has kept me where I am.”

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Video: Chael Sonnen admits to being drunk on excitement for presidential candidate Donald Trump

"History says the front runner at this point dies off and dies off hard. That said, Donald Trump is a little bit different. People actually know what they're getting into with Trump. His life has bee read news >>

UFC featherweight Rony Jason admits to DUI, but refuses to take breathalyzer test

On Friday, UFC featherweight Rony Jason was on his way to celebrate a friend’s birthday at a night club in Natal, Brazil when he was stopped by police en-route. The MMA fighter, who had was suspected read news >>

Patrick Cote: Crafting One Memorable Story

Patrick Cote admits that he hasn’t paid attention to the great story he’s writing at the moment, maybe because the 35-year-old is having too much fun. “I’m a veteran now and a lot of things come with read news >>

UFC Fight Night 74's Yves Jabouin admits he's unhappy with UFC performances

SASKATOON – Yves Jabouin is not delusional about the quality of his UFC career thus far. He knows it hasn’t been great, but said he’s ready to turn a corner against Felipe Arantes at UFC Fight Night read news >>

Tyron Woodley: Johny Hendricks' PR mistake led to UFC 192 matchup

Inside, Tyron Woodley admits he didn’t think his campaign to fight Johny Hendricks would prove fruitful. But then he saw “Bigg Rigg” make one major mistake and realized the long shot was about to bec read news >>

Georges St-Pierre admits MMA would be boring if every fighter were like him, hails charismatic 'bad guy' Tito Ortiz as a

Georges St-Pierre is without a doubt one of the "good guys" to ever compete in mixed martial arts (MMA). Throughout his extended run as Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Welterweight champion, "Ru read news >>

Amanda Nunes says she deserves Ronda Rousey title fight, or someone who gets her closer

Miesha Tate may be the favorite to get next dibs at Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey (details), but there's another potential challenge to "Rowdy" lurki read news >>

Fabricio Werdum not sure Fedor Emelianenko deserves title shot in first UFC fight, but is open to rematch

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Will Fedor Emelianenko sign with the UFC? If he does, heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum would gladly welcome him to the Octagon. Fresh off a submission win over Cain Velasquez in read news >>

Amanda Nunes Isn’t a Trash Talker, but Thinks She Deserves a Shot at Ronda Rousey

Amanda Nunes believes she deserves a title shot after her UFC Fight Night 73 win over Sara McMann, but isn't going to talk her way into a bout with Ronda Rousey. read news >>

Sam Alvey admits quirky personality 'might' hold him back in the UFC

Sam Alvey doesn't have a nickname like "Killa" or "Headbussa." He's called "Smile'n Sam." Alvey doesn't talk crap about his opponents. He makes jokes and wears spray tan during his fights. There's no read news >>