george-roop-11.jpgGeorge Roop freely admits he’s not the most talented guy in the UFC’s bantamweight division, but he’s confident he’s the hardest worker. He may also be the most durable.

“If you asked me who the winner of Season 8 of ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ was, I’m going to tell you it’s George Roop because I’m the only one left in the UFC,” Roop told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

Although the 31-year-old Roop is leaving out the heavier members of the cast, who competed in the light-heavyweight division and still are represented in the octagon, he is the only lightweight competitor left from the season.

Of course, he long ago vacated the 155-pound class in which he then competed, cutting first to featherweight and then to the bantamweight class, where his physical gifts are the most apparent.

Gaunt at 135 pounds, Roop returned to featherweight and went 2-3-1 in the division before deciding to make the precipitous drop to bantamweight. In his most recent appearance at UFC 158, he likely saved his job with a decision win over Rueben Duran, which followed back-to-back losses.

At 6-1, Roop (13-9-1 MMA, 3-5 UFC) is three inches short of a footlong height advantage over his next opponent, ex-WEC champ Brian Bowles (10-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC), whom he meets on the Facebook-streamed preliminary card of UFC 160 on Saturday at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

But Roop would like to do more than just beat Bowles. He’d like to go on a run in the division and cement his status as a top 10 bantamweight.

“I feel I’m a little bit under-appreciated sometimes,” he said. “And not just under-appreciated; I don’t get the respect that I deserve.

“Respect shouldn’t just be given to you. You should go out and earn it, and on Saturday night, I’m going to earn my respect. I’m going to open up a lot of eyes and show that I belong in the top 10 of the bantamweight division.”

It’s not an all-or-nothing goal. Roop said he could easily go back to the working world as a pharmacy tech, and his wife makes a handsome living in the pharmaceutical industry. He’s also been a meticulous saver, putting away money earned from his fight purses instead of splurging. He said he’d be fine if UFC matchmakers told him to hang up his gloves. But he still feels he has years left to accomplish more.

“I’ve been very inconsistent under the Zuffa banner,” he said. “I’d like to earn some consistent wins.”

Oddsmakers have him as a solid underdog in the matchup with Bowles, who’s returning from a year-plus layoff, but Roop said that’s nothing new. He’s used to fighting to prove others wrong.

“Let’s face it: I think the only fight under the Zuffa banner that I’ve had an advantage is my last fight,” Roop said.

If he’s bet on himself, that means an extra bonus if he pulls off the upset. It would also be another testament to his staying power.

“[Bowles is] going to have a terrible time managing my distance,” Roop said. “I’m better in the wrestling department. I can decide where this fight goes. I’m better on the ground than he is. And I definitely have a bigger heart, although I don’t believe that’s what wins fights. I believe hard work in the gym wins fights.

“I might not be the most talented guy out there, but my work ethic has kept me where I am.”

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Miesha Tate admits 'I miss being a champion'

CHICAGO -- Miesha Tate was the unquestioned headline act in women's mixed martial arts at one point. And she's not afraid to admit she misses her time at the top. Tate, who meets Jessica Eye in the c read news >>

Jake Shields: Rousimar Palhares 'deserves to get hurt'

Jake Shields talks about his Aug. 1 World Series of Fighting welterweight title fight against Rousimar Palhares, and in particular why he really wants to beat the current champion. The event, which w read news >>

UFC Veteran Michael Bisping Still Deserves a Championship Opportunity

Michael Bisping's career in the Ultimate Fighting Championship is one of endurance and longevity. He has been in the UFC since June 2006, making him one of the longest-tenured fighters in the promoti read news >>

Randy Couture admits to getting the 'itch,' says he 'doesn't know' about comeback fight against Fedor Emelianenko

"The Natural" ponders returning to the cage and gives his take on a potential dream matchup with fellow mixed martial arts (MMA) legend Fedor Emelianenko. Several years ago, Randy Couture and Fedor E read news >>

Urijah Faber admits 'super random' scuffle with 'scrawny' Conor McGregor looked rigged at UFC 189

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) recently dropped the bombshell that Conor McGregor and Urijah Faber will go head-to-head as opposing coaches on season 22 of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF). See the a read news >>

Urijah Faber admits Conor McGregor confrontation 'does look like it was rigged'

Urijah Faber understands why some have come to the conclusion that his brief skirmish with Conor McGregor was put together for the benefit of the cameras. After all, it was a FOX camera which caught read news >>

John Howard admits he was 'very nervous' before hearing scores

LAS VEGAS -- John Howard discussed his win over Cathal Pendred at UFC 189, his new training camp, Irish fans and more. read news >>

Chael Sonnen admits to 'd--k move' for making Chad Mendes' phone number public ahead of Conor McGregor fight

The former UFC two-division title challenger spoke with Bruce Buffer on the "It's Time!" podcast regarding the former's mini-feud with UFC 189 headliner Chad Mendes. Former UFC two-division title cha read news >>

Brandon Thatch admits loss to Benson Henderson still stings

LAS VEGAS -- Brandon Thatch talks about fighting Gunnar Nelson at UFC 189, getting over his loss to Benson Henderson, why it still stings and more. read news >>

American Top Team owner admits UFC wouldn't have been as big as it is now if he had bought it

Dan Lambert was so close to buying the UFC in 2001 that he had a deposit down and there was a closing date scheduled. But the American Top Team owner is glad it didn't work out. Lambert told Ariel He read news >>