hector-lombard-15.jpg Two middleweights-turned-welterweights who are on the rebound will soon clash when Hector Lombard (32-4-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC) meets Nate Marquardt (32-12-2 MMA, 10-5 UFC) at UFC 166.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the planned matchup with sources close to the event following an initial report from MMAFighting.com. UFC officials haven’t made a formal announcement.

UFC 166 takes place Oct. 19 at Houston’s Toyota Center. The main card, including heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos, airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

It’s not clear where Lombard and Marquardt, who recently had been campaigning for a matchup against each other, will be placed on the lineup.

Since his reign in Bellator as the organization’s middleweight champion, Lombard has experienced mixed results in the UFC. The Cuban-Australian and Olympic judoko is just 1-2 in the octagon with split-decision losses to Tim Boetsch and Yushin Okami, and a first-round knockout of Rousimar Palhares. Prior to joining the UFC, the 35-year-old has posted a 25-fight unbeaten streak. Lombard, who’s ranked No. 12 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA middleweight rankings, now heads to welterweight.

He meets Marquardt, a former Strikeforce champion who returned to the UFC in March. However, Marquardt, who also unsuccessfully vied for the UFC middleweight title in 2007, suffered a knockout loss to Jake Ellenberger at UFC 158. It marked the first back-to-back losses of his career, which included a Strikeforce title loss to Tarec Saffiedine in January.

For the latest on UFC 166, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Hector Lombard)

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Dan Henderson Video: Lyoto Machida, UFC 199, and New Contract Requirements

  • 18 days ago
  • 54 views

Dan Henderson reacts to Lyoto Machida's recent anti-doping violation, facing Hector Lombard at UFC 199, his demands for a new UFC contract, and much more. read news >>

White says Robbie Lawler targeted for UFC 201 or UFC 202, likely against Tyron Woodley

  • 17 days ago
  • 25 views

UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler doesn’t have his next fight booked just yet, but UFC President Dana White said that could change very soon.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Rousey targeted for UFC's NY debut – and champ Tate could fight twice before then

  • 14 days ago
  • 12 views

When the UFC makes its long-awaited debut in New York, there’s a good chance former titleholder Ronda Rousey will be part of the card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>