Josh Barnett vs Daniel CormierWhen the new deal between Strikeforce and Showtime was brokered and announced, one of the biggest revelations was that the once thriving heavyweight division in the promotion would soon shift over to the UFC.

Just a year earlier, Strikeforce had assembled one of the greatest collections of heavyweight talent in the sport to create their first ever Grand Prix tournament.

Now all that remains of the Strikeforce heavyweight roster are the two remaining fighters in that tournament, Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier.

One oddity that was announced with that new deal, however, is that once Barnett or Cormier is crowned the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix champion, he would remain in the promotion for at least one more fight against an as of yet unknown opponent.

With the rest of the Strikeforce heavyweight roster already competing and thriving in the UFC, the question had to be asked if somehow those previously announced plans could be amended and the winner of the tournament move into action in the Octagon?

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker on Thursday confirmed that either Barnett or Cormier would indeed remain in the promotion for at least one more fight as previously planned.

“Yes, that is correct,” Coker answered when questioned about the heavyweight division plans in Strikeforce.

With that plan in place, it appears that the winner of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix will stick around for at least one more fight. Based on the timing of that fight, it could keep them out of a potential UFC debut until 2013.

No decision has been made as of yet who will face either Barnett or Cormier in Strikeforce, but there are discussions being had. There’s just no one fighter in mind to bring in for the last heavyweight super fight in the promotion’s history.

“Just some preliminary conversations, but as you can imagine it just depends on who wins and if there’s any injuries, things like that. Then any injuries to any other fighters that we might be looking to come fight the winner,” Coker revealed.

“That’s something we can probably have a better picture of once this fight is over, see the outcome, and see if there’s any injuries.”

It’s unclear at this time if the fighter not victorious at next weekend’s Stikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix will be held up any longer, but most likely, he could shift over to the UFC as soon as health permits.

Now it’s just a matter of finally concluding the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix, and then finding a suitable opponent to face the winner later this year.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Bellator MMA not interested in Fedor, but might be 'down the line'

  • 2 days ago
  • 10 views

Bellator MMA's Scott Coker has effectively stated that they won't take part in the Fedor sweepstakes, as the MMA heavyweight legend is still not signed to any promotion for his return to fighting. Be read news >>

Scott Coker: Fedor Emelianenko coming back, but Bellator not interested – for now

  • 2 days ago
  • 58 views

TEMECULA, Calif. – Fedor Emelianenko may be coming back to MMA, but one of the sport’s two biggest players may not where he settles in upon his return. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, Featured Video read news >>

A Bellator Belt is the Motivation, but Marloes Coenen Knows a Tough Fight Awaits

  • 6 days ago
  • 2 views

Former Strikeforce champion Marloes Coenen is aiming for a Bellator belt to add to her collection, but she knows there's already a tough fight before her. read news >>

Scott Coker says up to 13K expected for 'Bellator 142: Dynamite' in San Jose

  • 8 days ago
  • 2 views

Bellator President Scott Coker’s homecoming under a new promotional banner is already tracking strong at the box office, he told MMAjunkie on Friday.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Josh Thomson to make Bellator debut at Dynamite September 19

  • 13 days ago
  • 2 views

News on the Bellator debut of former UFC fighter and Strikeforce champion Josh Thomson. Josh Thomson's Bellator debut has been officially announced. The former Strikeforce champion and UFC veteran wi read news >>

Josh Thomson vs. Mike Bronzoulis added to 'Bellator 142: Dynamite'

  • 13 days ago
  • 0 views

Former Strikeforce champion Josh Thomson has been booked for his first post-UFC fight.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC Full Fight Flashback: Daniel Cormier Knocks Out ‘Bigfoot’ Silva in Strikeforce

  • 14 days ago
  • 254 views

In the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix semifinals, former EliteXC heavyweight champ Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva was set to scrap with Daniel Cormier who was undefeated at the time. read news >>

Video: Watch UFC 192's Daniel Cormier pulverize Bigfoot Silva in Strikeforce

  • 15 days ago
  • 183 views

Former Strikeforce Heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier has parlayed his successes in the now-defunct mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion into an outstanding -- but bumpy -- Ultimate Fighting Champions read news >>

Josh Thomson excited to sign 'fighter-friendly contract' with Bellator MMA

  • 18 days ago
  • 3 views

Former Strikeforce champion and ex-UFC lightweight Josh Thomson has officially signed with Bellator MMA. Check out what he has to say about his new home, which reunites him with Scott Coker. Bellator read news >>

Former Strikeforce lightweight champ Josh Thomson signs with Bellator MMA

  • 19 days ago
  • 4 views

Former Strikeforce lightweight champ and seven-time UFC veteran Josh Thomson is the latest addition to the Bellator MMA roster.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>