Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson

Current Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson (27-8) heads into one of the biggest fights of his career when he meets former Pride heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko (31-3) at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson.

The former Olympian has spent much of his career between fighting at middleweight and light heavyweight, and has won the Pride welterweight (185-pound limit) and the Pride middleweight (205-pound limit) titles.

After losing to Jake Shields, there were some doubts if Henderson still had the ability to compete at a world-class level.  However, Henderson proved all the pundits wrong and showed that at 40 years old he still has some fight left when he knocked out Rafael Feijao to capture the Strikeforce light heavyweight title.

Once widely known as the world’s best heavyweight, Fedor not only won, but also devastated his opponents for a decade.  Even though the Russian is currently on a two-fight skid, Henderson relishes the chance to face a fellow legend.

“I don’t think Fedor is just another name,” Henderson said on Thursday.

“It definitely excites me for the opportunity to fight him and I’m ready to go and waiting to get in there at this point.”

After watching the Russian’s last two defeats, Henderson still feels that Fedor is dangerous, just that he has been out of shape.  In fact, Henderson feels that since the former Pride heavyweight champion’s back is against the wall, he’ll be an even more dangerous competitor.

“I watched both of these fights, and I felt it seemed like against Werdum he got cocky with his submission defense, thinking he wouldn’t get submitted and everybody can get caught.  With Silva, I think he was a little bit out of shape and the size definitely got to him.

“I think anybody that has their back to the wall coming off two losses like that is definitely more dangerous.  But I think Fedor is going to try and hit me with the same punches he would have tried to hit me with if he had won his last two fights.”

Originally, many sites rumored that Henderson would meet Fedor at a catch weight, but Henderson is always up for the task of fighting larger opponents.  For years, size hasn’t mattered to the former Olympian, as he has fought former Pride and UFC heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira twice, and competed many years as a small light heavyweight, and also at middleweight.

“I don’t believe that was a decision at all.  It’s tough for me to gain weight.  I did weightlifting and plenty of eating; I don’t know what else I’m supposed to do.  I’m not going to feel outmatched or small in there.”

Dan Henderson: I Could Be Persuaded to Retire (UFC 199 Video)

At 45 years of age, Dan Henderson has been fielding questions about possibly retiring for several years. He now appears ready to entertain the idea. read news >>

Not Messing Around, Karen Darabedyan Confident Heading into RFA 38

Karen Darabedyan isn't messing around heading into RFA 38. Looking for his fourth win in a row, he's targeting a UFC call-up. read news >>

Is UFC 199 the end of the line for Dan Henderson? (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Hendo's contract is expiring and he's got plenty of options on the table. In his own words: 'This could actually be the last fight.' read news >>

Is UFC 199 the end of the line for Dan Henderson? (Yahoo Sports)

Jason Gonzalez Building Off of Time on TUF Heading into RFA 38

Jason Gonzalez got a taste of the UFC as part of a season of The Ultimate Fighter. Building off of that heading into RFA 38, he wants to get back to the UFC. read news >>

VIDEO: IV Ban Doesn’t Bother Bobby Green, He’s Only Down with Tattoo Needles

If you take a look at his cranium, you might not suspect that Bobby Green isn't too pleased with needles. read news >>

UFC 199 Results: Dan Henderson Knocks Out Hector Lombard in Round 2

Dan Henderson picked up an emphatic win at UFC 199, knocking out Hector Lombard in their main-card fight on Saturday night's pay-per-view in Inglewood, California. read news >>

Dan Henderson vs. Hector Lombard: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

Dan Henderson (32-14) is known for his “H-Bomb” of a right hand, but at UFC 199 he brought out the “H-Bow” against Hector Lombard (34-6-1, 2 NC). The two veteran middleweights went toe-to-toe in one read news >>

UFC 199 Video Highlights: Dan Henderson Returns from the Brink to KO Hector Lombard

Middleweight legend Dan Henderson took on the explosive Hector Lombard on Saturday on the UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 main card. Check out the video highlights. read news >>

VIDEO: Dan Henderson Says UFC 199 May Have Been His Last Fight

MMA legend Dan Henderson discusses the possibility of retirement following his UFC 199 knockout win over Hector Lombard. read news >>