Former UFC welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz has ended his retirement and signed a three-fight deal with the promotion.

UFC officials today announced the deal, though financial terms of the contract weren’t disclosed.

He’s targeted for an early-2015 return.

“I’ve been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff,” Diaz stated. “I’ve been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It’s been a good experience having this much time off.”

Diaz (26-9 MMA, 7-6 UFC), though, suggested he could return even sooner.

“Next year I guess, whatever though,” he stated. “I can fight tomorrow, tonight. You have to do what you have to do. … [I came today] to sort things out with Dana White and Lorenzo [Fertitta].

“It was hard times for a little bit, but people act like I’ve been doing nothing. I’ve been getting some things done. Just because I’m not getting punched around every day doesn’t mean I’m not focused on what I’m doing. Now, here we are.”

Diaz, a former Strikeforce champion who’s had a rocky relationship with the uFC, has been on the sidelines since a failed bid to capture the UFC welterweight title from then-champ Georges St-Pierre in March 2013. The fight followed Diaz’s failed bid against Carlos Condit for an interim title, but he got the shot at St-Pierre anyway, partially because “GSP” requested.

UFC President Dana White previously said that Diaz had turned down multiple fight offers since the latest title loss. At one point, the UFC executive said he hadn’t given up the idea of the 30-year-old returning.

Despite his retirement, Diaz has often stayed in the news. Earlier this year, he suggested a comeback was imminent, though he later backed off the claim:

More recently, White expressed interest in a potential bout between Diaz and injured ex-middleweight champion Anderson Silva, though the talk ultimately fizzled. However, in today’s announcement, Diaz said it’s still a fight that interests him.

Just this past week, while criticizing Nick Diaz’s younger brother, disgruntled UFC lightweight Nate Diaz, White said the elder Diaz was still a “needle-mover” for the company and a top draw.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC vet Gerald Harris ends retirement, fights Aaron Cobb in Legacy FC 63 headliner

  • 15 days ago

Gerald Harris is returning from a three-year layoff – and he’s doing it in a hometown headliner.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Jack Marshman Becomes the First Welsh Fighter to Be Signed by the UFC | FIGHTLAND

  • 15 days ago

Photo via Jack Marshman/Instagram It was the day Welsh MMA’s contingent of fans has been long clamoring for. On Thursday 6th October, 2016, the UFC finally signed its first Welsh fighter to complete read news >>

This Is the Way It Ends for Dan Henderson | FIGHTLAND

  • 15 days ago

Artwork by Spencer Afonso Dan Henderson had just put Wanderlei Silva into a deep sleep with a left hook to end Pride 33, and after he started speaking during the post-fight interview, the man holding read news >>

Legacy FC 60 results: Brian Heden gets revenge, blasts Tyler East into retirement

  • 15 days ago

More than six years ago, Tyler East spent 15 minutes beating up Brian Heden. On Friday, Heden got his revenge. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Legacy FC 60 Results and Highlights: Brian Heden Retires Tyler East |

  • 14 days ago

Legacy FC 60 headliner Tyler East announced his retirement from MMA after rival Brian Heden knocked him out. read news >>

Vitor Belfort to announce retirement after UFC 204

  • 14 days ago

UFC legend Vitor Belfort could be retiring after his fight against Gegard Mousasi at UFC 204.The big story line of UFC 204 is legend Dan Henderson looking to claim the one belt that has eluded him by read news >>

Dan Henderson Stands By Retirement Talk, Calls It a Career at UFC 204 |

  • 14 days ago

Dan Henderson has been competing in MMA for nearly two decades, but he confirmed that UFC 204 was the last time we will see him fighting in the Octagon. read news >>

On verge of retirement before big call, Alessandro Ricci now wants on UFC 206 in Toronto

  • 11 days ago

Alessandro Ricci apparently wasn’t too very far away from deciding to call it quits on his MMA career. Then the phone rang.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ireland's Charlie Ward gets UFC debut and follows teammate McGregor

  • 7 days ago

Irish fighter Charlie Ward has signed with the UFC and is set to make his debut.On Friday, it was announced that relatively unknown Irish fighter Charlie Ward (3-1) has signed a contract with the UFC read news >>

Mike Pyle started career by fighting 'Rampage' Jackson for $100 and ended up 'like a shoe in a dryer'

  • 6 days ago

Mike Pyle will close out 2016 by stepping into the octagon for career fight 41. It’s the next step in a career that started with a wild fight against Quinton Jackson in 1999.Filed under: Featured Vid read news >>