Hatsu Hioki and Clay Guida at UFC on Fox 6One of the most hotly contested fights of UFC on Fox 6 was the bout between Clay Guida and Hatsu Hioki. Depending on who you asked, the fight could have gone either way, but was ultimately decided in favor of Guida via split decision by the evening’s judges.

Speaking to MMAWeekly.com following the fight, Hioki said of the decision, “Although I think I inflicted more damage on him, I take the loss because I understand that staying on top of an opponent scores big to a lot of judges.

“Guida was very skilled and tough. Also, he is a very respectful gentleman, so I was very honored to face him.”

In the eyes of many, Hioki worked hard enough off his back to make a case that being on the bottom doesn’t automatically mean a fighter is losing the bout. Still, Hioki knows that sometimes judges don’t see it that way.

“It would have been great if judges have me more credits for working off my back, but, again, I understand how the unified rules work so I am not to complain about anything,” he said. “Guida won the bout fair and square.”

Though Hioki is taking the loss with grace, it would be understandable if he would immediately seek a rematch with Guida, but at the moment, that is not the case.

“I cannot think of anything like that nature right now because I just fought, so I will see as a time goes by,” said Hioki.

While he’s not thinking immediately of what to do next, one thing is for sure, Hioki intends to return and do so an improved fighter because of this loss.

“The team will learn from this as that fight was a tremendous opportunity as a learning tool, so I take one step at the time to work my way back,” he said.

“I will be back!”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Hot Tweets Say What? Fighters React to What They Thought Yoel Romero Said

• a day ago

Following his knockout win over Lyoto Machida, Yoel Romero made an impassioned speech and fighters reacted to what they thought he said via Twitter. read news >>

Jussier Formiga not frustrated over John Dodson's title shot, still wants Ian McCall

Jussier Formiga thought his win streak was enough to get himself a title shot against Demetrious Johnson. Now that John Dodson will get the next crack, he promises to work even harder for it. A three read news >>

Rogan thinks Slice vs. Shamrock 'looked fake', John McCarthy says Kimbo didn't tap

UFC announcer Joe Rogan thought Bellator 138's bout between Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock may not have been on the level. There has been a lot of debate over whether the Bellator 138 main event bout b read news >>

Gilbert Melendez Faces Uphill (But Winnable) Battle After Cruel Split Decisions

Nobody thought Gilbert Melendez would start his UFC career 1-3. The former Strikeforce lightweight champion had just been too good during a decade spent fighting elsewhere. By the time the UFC absorb read news >>

Patrick Williams: Training at altitude in Mexico 'almost felt like I just stepped in the gym again'

MEXICO CITY -- After his 23-second submission win over Alejandro Perez at UFC 188 on Saturday, Patrick Williams discusses joining Henry Cejudo's training camp, how tough it is to train at altitude an read news >>

Conor McGregor responds to 'little weasel' Jose Aldo's drug-test situation

What, you thought Conor McGregor wasn't going to have anything to say about the odd situation regarding Jose Aldo and an out-of-competition drug test? McGregor commented on the mess Friday on Twitter read news >>

Gilbert Melendez talks about 'fake Mexican' hoopla surrounding UFC 188's headliner

MEXICO CITY – Fabricio Werdum thought it would be good promotion to take a shot at undisputed champ Cain Velasquez’s Mexican heritage in advance of their headliner at UFC 188. Even Gilbert Melendez i read news >>

UFC 188 Predictions: Can Cain Velasquez Finally Make a Splash in Mexico City?

Calling a "do-over" never felt so good. Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum will finally meet to unify the heavyweight title on Saturday at UFC 188 in Mexico City. When they do, they'll make good on t read news >>

Conor McGregor's UFC 189 World Tour antics were part of carefully crafted plan

LAS VEGAS -- If you thought Conor McGregor's UFC 189 World Tour histrionics were just for show, think again. Not only was McGregor doing a damn good job selling his main event against UFC featherweig read news >>

Francisco Trinaldo thought he lost to Norman Parke at UFC Fight Night 67

GOIANIA, Brazil -- Francisco Trinaldo battled Norman Parke for three rounds at UFC Fight Night 67, but he wasn’t sure he would leave Goiania with the win when the fight ended. As soon as the third ro read news >>