Matt Hamill has decided to hang up his gloves. | Photo: Terry Goodlad

Two days after suffering a savage defeat at UFC 133, light heavyweight Matt Hamill has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts.

“Today is a sad day for me. After six years and 13 fights in the UFC, I’m ready to hang up my gloves and retire from this amazing sport,” Hamill, 34, wrote in a statement on his official website. “I was ready to make this decision after UFC 130 but my friends, family coaches and most importantly my daughter encouraged me to give it one last chance.”

Hamill’s “last chance” came Saturday at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, where he faced 24-year-old Alexander Gustafsson on less than one month’s notice, having stepped in to replace the injured Vladimir Matyushenko. After a relatively even opening round, “The Hammer” was nailed by a left hand from the Swede and brutally pounded out with elbows from mount. It was Hamill’s second consecutive loss, as the Ohio native also dropped a short-notice unanimous decision to Quinton Jackson in May.

Hamill, a lifelong wrestler who was born deaf, entered the UFC after taking part in the third season of Spike TV reality show “The Ultimate Fighter.” It was then, Hamill said, that the troubles which would ultimately cause him to retire began.

“My career has been plagued by injuries, starting with ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ and [they have] disrupted my training ever since,” wrote Hamill, who withdrew from the “TUF 3” semifinals due to injury. “There hasn’t been even one training camp where I’ve been able to train without training around an injury. I have not been kind to my body and it has nothing left after 28 years of nonstop competition. It’s time to finally give it a rest.”

Though bowing out of the Octagon, Hamill assured fans that he will not be leaving behind MMA altogether.

“I have fallen in love with the sport of mixed martial arts and I will continue to coach at our gym, Mohawk Valley MMA, alongside my teammates and help the next generation of fighters make it to the UFC,” Hamill said. “The UFC has become family to me and I hope to be involved with the number-one mixed martial arts organization in the world as a coach, ambassador and fan for a long time to come.”

Hamill exits the sport with a record of 10-4, including notable victories over Tito Ortiz, Keith Jardine and Mark Munoz. He is the only man to record a win over current UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, the result of a December 2009 disqualification.

Adlan Amagov officially announces retirement from MMA competition

UFC welterweight Adlan Amagov has officially announced his retirement from professional sports, including mixed martial arts competition. For months, the reasons for Adlan Amagov's extended absence f read news >>

Chris Weidman and the Law of Attraction: 'I Chris Weidman will defeat Belfort on May 23'

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman reveals his motivational preparation for his clash with Vitor Belfort at UFC 187. Chris Weidman is thinking and growing rich ahead of his championship clash wi read news >>

Morning Report: Joe Rogan talks Reebok deal, doesn't like to 'see fighters suffering financially'

Fighter response to the reward tiers of the UFC's upcoming uniform deal with Reebok hasn't been overtly positive. Ranging from, 'Well, it's more than I made working construction,' to open flirting wi read news >>

Joe Rogan on UFC-Reebok deal: 'I don’t like when I see fighters suffering financially'

Add Rogan to the long list of detractors... Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) brass unveiled its compensation tiers earlier this week for the company's Reebok uniform sponsorship deal (see them he read news >>

Joe Rogan on reaction to Reebok pay tiers: 'I don't like when I see fighters suffering'

Almost everyone has an opinion about the UFC’s fighter payout tiers for its apparel partnership with Reebok, which goes into effect in July. Veteran UFC commentator and host Joe Rogan is no different read news >>

Emotional Mark Munoz's retirement decision motivated by his children

Camp is going well for Mark Munoz ahead of his middleweight fight with Luke Barnatt at UFC Fight Night 66, something “The Filipino Wrecking Machine” feels has happened far too rarely.Filed under: New read news >>

UFC announces how much fighters will be paid through Reebok deal

The information UFC fighters have been waiting for is in. UFC bantamweight Cody Gibson tweeted a screenshot of an e-mail sent to fighters Wednesday, explaining how much they will be paid through the read news >>

Thiago Tavares announces fight with Brian Ortega at UFC Fight Night 68

Another bout was added to the UFC Fight Night 68 card in New Orleans. Brazilian featherweight Thiago Tavares announced on Tuesday that he is scheduled to return to the Octagon against undefeated Bria read news >>

Tweet of the Day: Conor McGregor partners with Monster Energy

Surging star Conor McGregor announces a sponsorship deal with Monster Energy. That's Reebok, Bud Light and now energy drink manufacturer's Monster Energy who have recently partnered with The Notoriou read news >>

Georges St-Pierre 'not interested' in UFC return for the time being, but won't confirm retirement

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) brass put on the riveting UFC 186 pay-per-view (PPV) event in Montreal, Quebec, Canada last weekend (Sat., April 25, 2015) at the Bell Centre, but fight fans arou read news >>