Matt Hamill has decided to hang up his gloves. | Photo: Terry Goodlad

Two days after suffering a savage defeat at UFC 133, light heavyweight Matt Hamill has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts.

“Today is a sad day for me. After six years and 13 fights in the UFC, I’m ready to hang up my gloves and retire from this amazing sport,” Hamill, 34, wrote in a statement on his official website. “I was ready to make this decision after UFC 130 but my friends, family coaches and most importantly my daughter encouraged me to give it one last chance.”

Hamill’s “last chance” came Saturday at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, where he faced 24-year-old Alexander Gustafsson on less than one month’s notice, having stepped in to replace the injured Vladimir Matyushenko. After a relatively even opening round, “The Hammer” was nailed by a left hand from the Swede and brutally pounded out with elbows from mount. It was Hamill’s second consecutive loss, as the Ohio native also dropped a short-notice unanimous decision to Quinton Jackson in May.

Hamill, a lifelong wrestler who was born deaf, entered the UFC after taking part in the third season of Spike TV reality show “The Ultimate Fighter.” It was then, Hamill said, that the troubles which would ultimately cause him to retire began.

“My career has been plagued by injuries, starting with ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ and [they have] disrupted my training ever since,” wrote Hamill, who withdrew from the “TUF 3” semifinals due to injury. “There hasn’t been even one training camp where I’ve been able to train without training around an injury. I have not been kind to my body and it has nothing left after 28 years of nonstop competition. It’s time to finally give it a rest.”

Though bowing out of the Octagon, Hamill assured fans that he will not be leaving behind MMA altogether.

“I have fallen in love with the sport of mixed martial arts and I will continue to coach at our gym, Mohawk Valley MMA, alongside my teammates and help the next generation of fighters make it to the UFC,” Hamill said. “The UFC has become family to me and I hope to be involved with the number-one mixed martial arts organization in the world as a coach, ambassador and fan for a long time to come.”

Hamill exits the sport with a record of 10-4, including notable victories over Tito Ortiz, Keith Jardine and Mark Munoz. He is the only man to record a win over current UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, the result of a December 2009 disqualification.

Former UFC Contender Alan Belcher Announces Retirement

Former UFC middleweight contender Alan Belcher announced his retirement from mixed martial arts on Friday. read news >>

Former UFC middleweight contender Alan Belcher announces retirement

Out of action for the past two-and-a-half years, Alan Belcher today made it official: He’s officially retired.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Longtime Bellator fighter Brett Cooper, 28, announces retirement

Brett Cooper, who’s enjoyed a long run with Bellator, has apparently called it quits on his MMA career.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

'Cro Cop' pulls out of UFC Fight Night 79 co-headliner, announces MMA retirement

Mirko Filipovic is out of this month’s UFC Fight Night 79 co-headliner. He’s also apparently done with the sport.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey Comments on Future After Holly Holm Defeat

Roughly 24 hours after suffering the first defeat of her career, Ronda Rousey commented on her future and the state of her health following a brutal knockout. read news >>

Citing lack of passion, UFC welterweight Cathal Pendred announces MMA retirement

UFC welterweight and “Ultimate Fighter 19” veteran Cathal Pendred today announced he’s retiring from MMA after six years as a professional. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Welterweight Cathal Pendred Announces Retirement

UFC welterweight Cathal Pendred announced his retirement from fighting on Wednesday via Twitter. read news >>

Why Holly Holm believes she can defeat Ronda Rousey (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: The former boxing champion's confidence was forged in one of the toughest points of her career. read news >>

Before retirement, 'Big Nog' was spending 7 months a year 'doing physical therapy'

SAO PAULO – Retired UFC heavyweight and former interim champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira decided he needed to retire when he realized how he was spending most of his time.Filed under: Featured Videos read news >>

Last woman to defeat Ronda Rousey 'would really love to punch her'

As unstoppable as Ronda Rousey appears entering her fight against Holly Holm on Saturday at Ethiad Stadium in Melbourne, she was, at least at one point in time, beatable.Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>