Gustavo Falciroli Didn’t Hesitate to Accept Fight with Bibiano Fernandes in ONE FC

• submit to reddit

Australian fighter Gustavo Falciroli didn’t get the chance to be on the new edition of TUF: The Smashes, but facing top ten bantamweight Bibiano Fernandes is a great consolation prize.

Falciroli talked to MMAWeekly.com recently about facing Fernandes in the upcoming ONE FC: Pride of a Nation show in August, and had no trepidation about fighting one of the top fighters at 135lbs.

MMAWeekly: You were hoping to get on TUF as a lightweight but there was a problem with your citizenship, can you tell us what happened there?

Gustavo Falciroli: To tell you the truth, I don’t really want to talk about it because I’m very happy to be with ONE FC now and that is what I’m focusing on.

MMAW: What was your initial reaction when you heard ONE FC wanted you to fight Fernandes?

GF: My reaction was the same as it would be to any offer. I never choose my opponent, my job is to fight, so, if the offer is right and I have enough time to prepare myself I will fight against anyone in the world.

MMAW: Do you feel like this will be the biggest fight of your career?

GF: Every next fight is the biggest of my career and this one is no different but I am looking forward to fighting in front of 16,000 people, I was at the press conference and it was huge. It’s gonna be an enjoyable show and OneFC is really big.

MMAW: He is ranked top ten in most places, does the prospect of potentially overtaking him excite you?

GF: A fight is a fight and I respect every opponent that I’m facing and nothing will change my perspective on that. A win is always a win, it doesn’t matter who it is against.

MMAW: At the press conference you looked a lot taller than him, do you think your height and reach could make a big difference in this fight?

GF: We are only gonna see about that after the bell!

MMAW: How did you enjoy your ONE FC debut?

GF: I was very happy that I could put in practice what I had trained for the fight and it was a such honour to be the first Aussie to fight at ONE FC, that might sounds a bit weird for a few people just because of the fact that I’m a Brazilian born guy but Australia has been my home for five years and my whole career I’ve fought out of Australia.

MMAW: Are you signed to ONE FC long term and if so are you hoping to challenge for the belt?

GF: To be the ONE FC champion is definitely one of my goals, but my main focus at the moment is on the fight of the 31st of August.

MMAW: How difficult is it for you to make 135, do you plan to stay there or do you think you will need to move up in weight eventually?

GF: I’m a professional fighter, so, cutting weight is part of the game, I’m bantamweight and there is where I want to keep fighting and I want to write my name on the history of the sport as a 135 lbs fighter.

MMAW: Have you seen many of Bibiano’s fights in the past and what do you think are his qualities and weaknesses as a fighter?

GF: I haven’t really watched him yet so I can’t say much.

MMAW: Where will you be training for this fight?

GF: I’ll be doing my camp all around Melbourne Gyms just as usual since I moved from Perth to here.

After getting his legs under him in his last ONE FC bout, Koetsu Okazaki tells champion Bibiano Fernandes to hang on to the belt because he's coming for it. more

The fight card is set for next month’s “ONE FC 18: War of Dragons” event, which marks the promotion’s debut in Taiwan.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News more

The ONE FC: War of Dragons card is complete with the addition of a heavyweight rematch that sees enormous Englishman Chi Lewis Parry take on Cameroonian kickboxer Alain Ngalani for the second time. more

Ten fights finalized for the upcoming mixed martial arts (MMA) event on July 11 in Taiwan. ONE FC: "War of Dragons" will be the promotion's first foray into Chinese territory ahead of the series of shows on the mainland which is set to get underway this September and the 10-fight card is now complete with the addition of a heavyweight rematch between Chi Lewis Parry and Alain Ngalani. Parry (5-0-1) and Ngalani (1-1-0-1) first fought at ONE FC: "Honor & Glory" but the fight lasted less than a min more

UFC 175 title challenger Lyoto Machida spoke to FightHub about his upcoming title fight against Chris Weidman and whether the stars may align for him as they did five years ago against Rashad Evans. more

Thiago Santos says his fight with Uriah Hall will probably end in a knockout on Saturday at UFC 175.Filed under: News, UFC more

From the very beginning, Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Machida was a legacy-making fight. Weidman had the chance to cement himself, beyond any doubt, as the greatest middleweight in MMA. Machida, meanwhile, had the opportunity to establish himself as the UFC's third two-division champion, behind only MMA legends BJ Penn and Randy Couture, and stake a claim as one of MMA's all-time greats. For three rounds, the fight wasn't even remotely competitive. Weidman took "The Dragon" down with little effort, t more

ONE FC continues to expand at a remarkable rate with Taiwan the latest country on the list and the main attraction for the local fans at Friday night’s card in Taipei will be heavyweight Paul Cheng. more