Australian fighter Gustavo Falciroli didn’t get the chance to be on the new edition of TUF: The Smashes, but facing top ten bantamweight Bibiano Fernandes is a great consolation prize.

Falciroli talked to MMAWeekly.com recently about facing Fernandes in the upcoming ONE FC: Pride of a Nation show in August, and had no trepidation about fighting one of the top fighters at 135lbs.

MMAWeekly: You were hoping to get on TUF as a lightweight but there was a problem with your citizenship, can you tell us what happened there?

Gustavo Falciroli: To tell you the truth, I don’t really want to talk about it because I’m very happy to be with ONE FC now and that is what I’m focusing on.

MMAW: What was your initial reaction when you heard ONE FC wanted you to fight Fernandes?

GF: My reaction was the same as it would be to any offer. I never choose my opponent, my job is to fight, so, if the offer is right and I have enough time to prepare myself I will fight against anyone in the world.

MMAW: Do you feel like this will be the biggest fight of your career?

GF: Every next fight is the biggest of my career and this one is no different but I am looking forward to fighting in front of 16,000 people, I was at the press conference and it was huge. It’s gonna be an enjoyable show and OneFC is really big.

MMAW: He is ranked top ten in most places, does the prospect of potentially overtaking him excite you?

GF: A fight is a fight and I respect every opponent that I’m facing and nothing will change my perspective on that. A win is always a win, it doesn’t matter who it is against.

MMAW: At the press conference you looked a lot taller than him, do you think your height and reach could make a big difference in this fight?

GF: We are only gonna see about that after the bell!

MMAW: How did you enjoy your ONE FC debut?

GF: I was very happy that I could put in practice what I had trained for the fight and it was a such honour to be the first Aussie to fight at ONE FC, that might sounds a bit weird for a few people just because of the fact that I’m a Brazilian born guy but Australia has been my home for five years and my whole career I’ve fought out of Australia.

MMAW: Are you signed to ONE FC long term and if so are you hoping to challenge for the belt?

GF: To be the ONE FC champion is definitely one of my goals, but my main focus at the moment is on the fight of the 31st of August.

MMAW: How difficult is it for you to make 135, do you plan to stay there or do you think you will need to move up in weight eventually?

GF: I’m a professional fighter, so, cutting weight is part of the game, I’m bantamweight and there is where I want to keep fighting and I want to write my name on the history of the sport as a 135 lbs fighter.

MMAW: Have you seen many of Bibiano’s fights in the past and what do you think are his qualities and weaknesses as a fighter?

GF: I haven’t really watched him yet so I can’t say much.

MMAW: Where will you be training for this fight?

GF: I’ll be doing my camp all around Melbourne Gyms just as usual since I moved from Perth to here.

UFC Fight Night 69 results: Arnold Allen impressive in UFC-debut win over Alan Omer

BERLIN – Alan Omer didn’t make many mistakes in a close, grueling fight against Arnold Allen. He did, however, make the mistake of leaving his head unprotected during a single-leg takedown attempt.Fi read news >>

Bibiano Fernandes to headline ONE Championship debut next month in Myanmar

ONE: "Kingdom of Warriors" will take place in Myanmar on July 18, 2015 and the card is being headlined by a bantamweight title fight between reigning champion Bibiano Fernandes and challenger Toni Ta read news >>

Bibiano Fernandes to Defend Title as ONE Championship Moves into Myanmar

Bantamweight champion Bibiano Fernandes puts his belt on the line at ONE Championship becomes the first major MMA promotion to go to Myanmar. read news >>

Makwan Amirkhani Preps for His Encore

If an eight-second finish of Andy Ogle in his UFC debut didn’t get fight fans on the Makwan Amirkhani bandwagon, just listening to him talk about his life in and out of the Octagon should do the tric read news >>

Champ Bibiano Fernandes vs. Toni Tauru headlines ONE Championship 29

ONE Championship will makes its Myanmar debut on July 18, and the organization’s bantamweight champion is headlining the show.Filed under: News read news >>

Bibiano Fernandes defends ONE Championship title on July 18

Bibiano Fernandes will put his ONE Championship belt on the line in a month. Fernandes, who last defended his title with a second-round submission over Dae Hwan Kim in December, is slated to meet Ton read news >>

Dana White lays down the law on Kelvin Gastelum at welterweight

Kelvin Gastelum didn’t exactly get reaction he hoped to get from UFC President Dana White following his dominant win over middleweight Nate Marquardt at Saturday’s UFC 188.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 188 results: Patrick Williams sets record with fast submission win

MEXICO CITY -- UFC 188 didn’t exactly get off to a flying start, as the card’s first three bouts went the distance.Patrick Williams came out in the fourth fight and changed things up in a hurry. The read news >>

UFC 188's Fabricio Werdum: 'I can win even if no one believes in me'

Fabricio Werdum has the chance to become the true UFC heavyweight champion this Saturday when he faces Cain Velasquez in the main event of UFC 188. That means a lot to the man who wants to leave his read news >>

Brian Ebersole wanted 'fairy tale ending' to career but ‘it just didn’t quite happen’

Brian Ebersole didn't intend for this past Saturday to be his farewell fight, but no one has ever accused the fight game of being fair to its senior class. Ebersole, the 34-year-old veteran of the ea read news >>