Australian fighter Gustavo Falciroli didn’t get the chance to be on the new edition of TUF: The Smashes, but facing top ten bantamweight Bibiano Fernandes is a great consolation prize.

Falciroli talked to MMAWeekly.com recently about facing Fernandes in the upcoming ONE FC: Pride of a Nation show in August, and had no trepidation about fighting one of the top fighters at 135lbs.

MMAWeekly: You were hoping to get on TUF as a lightweight but there was a problem with your citizenship, can you tell us what happened there?

Gustavo Falciroli: To tell you the truth, I don’t really want to talk about it because I’m very happy to be with ONE FC now and that is what I’m focusing on.

MMAW: What was your initial reaction when you heard ONE FC wanted you to fight Fernandes?

GF: My reaction was the same as it would be to any offer. I never choose my opponent, my job is to fight, so, if the offer is right and I have enough time to prepare myself I will fight against anyone in the world.

MMAW: Do you feel like this will be the biggest fight of your career?

GF: Every next fight is the biggest of my career and this one is no different but I am looking forward to fighting in front of 16,000 people, I was at the press conference and it was huge. It’s gonna be an enjoyable show and OneFC is really big.

MMAW: He is ranked top ten in most places, does the prospect of potentially overtaking him excite you?

GF: A fight is a fight and I respect every opponent that I’m facing and nothing will change my perspective on that. A win is always a win, it doesn’t matter who it is against.

MMAW: At the press conference you looked a lot taller than him, do you think your height and reach could make a big difference in this fight?

GF: We are only gonna see about that after the bell!

MMAW: How did you enjoy your ONE FC debut?

GF: I was very happy that I could put in practice what I had trained for the fight and it was a such honour to be the first Aussie to fight at ONE FC, that might sounds a bit weird for a few people just because of the fact that I’m a Brazilian born guy but Australia has been my home for five years and my whole career I’ve fought out of Australia.

MMAW: Are you signed to ONE FC long term and if so are you hoping to challenge for the belt?

GF: To be the ONE FC champion is definitely one of my goals, but my main focus at the moment is on the fight of the 31st of August.

MMAW: How difficult is it for you to make 135, do you plan to stay there or do you think you will need to move up in weight eventually?

GF: I’m a professional fighter, so, cutting weight is part of the game, I’m bantamweight and there is where I want to keep fighting and I want to write my name on the history of the sport as a 135 lbs fighter.

MMAW: Have you seen many of Bibiano’s fights in the past and what do you think are his qualities and weaknesses as a fighter?

GF: I haven’t really watched him yet so I can’t say much.

MMAW: Where will you be training for this fight?

GF: I’ll be doing my camp all around Melbourne Gyms just as usual since I moved from Perth to here.

UFC 205: Joanna Jedrzejczyk Is the Substance to Ronda Rousey's Style

If you didn’t know anything about MMA and you heard about a ferocious women’s champion, whom would you imagine? If you heard about a savage no one could beat, who had built a legacy in a couple of ye read news >>

UFC 205: Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez video highlights

Conor McGregor famously announced he didn’t come to the UFC to take part, he came to take over. After crushing Eddie Alvarez to win his second belt in two weight classes, it appears the takeover is i read news >>

Raquel Pennington says UFC 205 win over Miesha Tate moves her from dark horse to contender

Raquel Pennington didn’t have an easy task in any way when she stood across from Miesha Tate at UFC 205. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: After grueling UFC 205 title win, Joanna Jedrzejczyk swollen but not broken

We didn’t hear much from Joanna Jedrzejczyk following UFC 205, largely due to the fact she had to skip the post-event press conference for a precautionary trip to the hospital.Filed under: News, UFC, read news >>

Thiago Alves suspended three months for missing weight at UFC 205

Thiago Alves’ first attempt at fighting as a UFC lightweight didn’t just end in a loss. He’s now picked up an additional suspension.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Miesha Tate talks 'transition,' not retirement, remains content after choice to walk away

MELBOURNE, Australia – Miesha Tate didn’t head to New York intent on retiring at UFC 205, but it didn’t take long for her to decide her heart simply wasn’t in fighting any longer.Filed under: Feature read news >>

Matt Schnell gets late-replacement spot on Saturday's TUF 24 Finale fight card

Matt Schnell didn’t win “The Ultimate Fighter 24,” but he’s got a spot on the undercard of the show’s live finale.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bibiano Fernandes Still Motivated Despite All His Titles, Trophies and Success | MMAWeekly.com

Bibiano Fernandes is on an amazing run as ONE Championship's bantamweight titleholder, and he's showing no signs of slowing down. read news >>

With one fight left on ONE Championship deal, Bibiano Fernandes has 'decisions to make about my life'

Bibiano Fernandes has long been considered one of the world’s top bantamweights, and he could potentially become a very desirable free agent target.Filed under: News read news >>

Brandon Vera and Bibiano Fernandes Retain Title Belts at ONE: Age of Domination | MMAWeekly.com

Brandon Vera and Bibiano Fernandes both retained their ONE Championship titles on Friday, although their bouts couldn't have been more different. read news >>