Jason Lee

Jason Lee (Photo courtesy of Ring of Fire)

Having already won two professional fights heading into the April 16 Ring of Fire show, 2010 ATO Amateur of the Year fighter Jason “Dragon” Lee stands on the precipice of becoming one of Colorado’s premier up-and-coming fighters.

Having overcome a troubled past, Lee quickly became a standout student at Nate Marquardt’s High Altitude gym and then had an opportunity to join the area’s premier fight squad.

“I was lucky enough even very early in my amateur career to be part of Grudge Fight Team,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “Obviously there have been a lot of hard lessons learned up there, but it’s been good for me now that I’m a pro and everything.

“There’s never a time that I don’t really shake my head in awe about how much more I have to learn about the fight game. It’s always worth it for me to take lumps and lumps and lumps day in and day out so I can learn lessons, so I can go out and perform properly in the cage when the important time comes.”

Lee not only credits his training as a large part of his success, but also failure has played its role in shaping him as a fighter.

“I wouldn’t be where I’m at if it wasn’t for the one loss I took during my amateur career,” he admitted. “I took about six or eight months off after that, and wasn’t really sure if I wanted to continue fighting or where I wanted to go.

“After I collected my thoughts, I took off running and I haven’t lost since then.”

Interestingly enough, when asked how he describes the way he fights, he harkens back to his days in bodybuilding for inspiration.

“Coming from the fitness industry, you want everything to be pretty equal and symmetrical,” he commented. “In my fighting style, I like to keep things very even.”

At Ring of Fire 40, Lee will have an opportunity to showcase his balanced skills against late replacement Coltin Cole from Matt Hughes’ HIT Squad.

“I always go out there with a goal to put on the most dynamic, entertaining, and athletic performance I can,” said Lee.

“I want to put it all out on the line. I’m looking to keep the pace, keep the pressure on him, stay in his face and let him know that oxygen is kind of hard to come by up here in the Mile High City, so I hope his conditioning is up to par.”

Having captured numerous amateur titles, Lee’s next goal is to branch out in 2011 and establish himself on a larger scale.

“The coaching staff at Grudge has given me the green light, so there’s nothing really holding me back,” he stated. “Really what I’m looking to see throughout this next year is getting some more national exposure.”

Making the transition from amateur to pro is never an easy one, but Lee has taken the necessary steps to make it as smooth as possible and take the skills he’s learned and continue down the path towards stardom.

“I always like to say thanks to my sponsors and my family, especially my father and my son,” he said in closing. “April 16 is not going to be a fight you’re going to want to miss. I hope to see everybody there.”

Ring of Fire 40 takes place Saturday night at the 1stBank Center in Broomfield, Colo., just outside of Denver.

UFC's Dana White announces Antonio Rodrigo 'Minotauro' Nogueira's retirement

The UFC president unilaterally announced that he was through promoting fights featuring the Brazilian legend and offered Nogueira a career with the organization. UFC president Dana White announced th read news >>

Dana White 'done' giving Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira fights, will offer him UFC job

RIO DE JANEIRO – UFC President Dana White said fans have seen the last of former PRIDE and interim UFC champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira inside the octagon. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, V read news >>

UFC 190: Results and Reactions from Biggest Fights on Rousey vs. Correia Card

Ronda Rousey retained her bantamweight championship and improved her record to 12-0 Saturday night at UFC 190 in what's become typical Rousey-fight fashion: unsparing, unrelenting and under a minute. read news >>

UFC 190 Results: Winners with Most Impressive Fights on Rousey vs. Correia Card

If you stayed up to watch the entirety of UFC 190 from start to finish, you deserve a piece of the "Performance of the Night" bonus. Sunday's pay-per-view card achieved the toxic combination of being read news >>

UFC 190 Results: What We Learned from Shogun Rua vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

The rematch of one of the best MMA fights in PRIDE history took place at UFC 190. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira went toe-to-toe. There was a feeling out process early, but they w read news >>

UFC 190 results: Gadelha beats Aguilar, Bigfoot snaps losing skid, Struve beats Big Nog

Check out the results of the first three fights on the UFC 190 pay-per-view main card at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Kicking off the UFC 190 pay-per-view was a #1 contender bout between read news >>

UFC 190 Results: What We Learned from Neil Magny vs. Demian Maia

One of the best fights on the UFC 190 card was Demian Maia vs. Neil Magny. While the event is largely comprised of fights between middling and/or aging veterans, Maia is still a relevant top-10 welte read news >>

Watch WSOF 22 Prelims fights online | Live WSOF.com free stream video

The "Prelims" bouts for WSOF 22: "Palhares vs. Shields" will stream live online today (Sat., Aug. 1, 2015) from Planet Hollywood Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, prior to the NBC Sports broadcast. It is read news >>

Watch UFC 190 fights online: Fight Pass, FOX Sport 1 'Prelims' channel finder

Prior to the "Rousey vs. Correia" mixed martial arts (MMA) pay-per-view (PPV) main card, which begins later this evening (Sat., Aug. 1, 2015) at 10 p.m. ET, live from HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Br read news >>

10 reasons to watch the Rousey show and some other fights, or UFC 190 and WSOF 22

At the time of this writing, the main attraction for tonight’s pair of MMA events is a 14-1 favorite over her opponent. Check out the top 10 reasons to tune in to UFC 190 and WSOF 22 despite the long read news >>