Grudge Fighter Chaun Sims Plans Breakout Against Vitor Belfort Protégé at Ring of Fire 40

• submit to reddit
Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Colorado’s Ring of Fire has long been a place where up-and-coming fighters have developed, preparing to take their next step. Many feel that Chaun Sims could be the next in the line of great talent the company has helped to produce.

Fighting out of the famed Grudge Training Center and Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sims feels 2010 was a big development year for him, especially in how he bounced back from adversity.

“I had the opportunity to step into new realms, had my first step back from my first loss,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

“From that you have to take a real hard look at yourself, take a real hard look at your system that you’re developing through, and since that point I’m happy to say I’ve stepped forward and positively progressed.”

Already a standout at jiu-jitsu, the one area in particular Sims feels he’s progressed has been in his wrestling.

“I think I went from just being a scrappy and tenacious wrestler to adding a more technical element that has success just not based on drive and ferocity, but on technique,” he said.

When Sims makes his Ring of Fire return on Saturday night, he’ll be facing debuting top Brazilian prospect and Vitor Belfort protégé Cesar Ferreira.

According to Sims, while he’s scouted Ferreira, he’s not taking him for granted.

“I’ve watched video on him, but in that same regard I think you can over-analyze your opponent as well,” commented Sims.

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

“Who knows, as much as I’ve changed as a fighter, he might have just as well. I watched the tape and I expect some things, but by no means am I counting on anybody to fight a specific way every single fight.”

While he’s not sure exactly how his opponent will fight that night, one thing is certain, Sims intends to leave it all in the cage.

“That’s how I like to do it,” he stated. “That way you don’t have any excuses afterwards, you don’t have reason why you shouldn’t get finishes if you put it all on the line and let the best man walk away.”

When it comes to fighting in Colorado, altitude can be a fighter’s friend or enemy, but for Sims, it doesn’t play a role in how he expects to perform.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that,” he stated. “If the altitude affects him, that sucks, if it doesn’t, that’s great. I’ll keep beating him until the brakes come off and whenever he’s done, he’s done.”

Sims possesses many of the skills, both physical and intangible that could make him the next breakout Colorado fighter, and he intends on showcasing them all at Ring of Fire 40.

“I would like to thank all my coaches and teammates at Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grudge Training Center; I couldn’t do it without them,” he said in closing.

“Come on out on April 16 to Ring of Fire at the Broomfield Events Center (just outside of Denver). If you can’t catch it live, catch it online, it should be a great time.”

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

As reported by Ariel Helwani Wednesday on UFC Tonight, UFC middleweight contender Vitor Belfort now says he's ready to make a return to fighting and intends to face the winner of UFC 175's main event between middleweight champion Chris Weidman and Lyoto Machida. According to his wife Joana Prado, Belfort's team has also been informed by the UFC that he is next in line for a shot at the middleweight title. Prado, along with Belfort's manager Glenn Robinson, has recently taken over the day-to-day more

On the latest episode of The MMA Beat, the panel discusses a variety of topics including the half-year review, Vitor Belfort's ongoing pursuit for a title shot, BJ Penn's featherweight debut, and much more. more

Vitor Belfort has been told he will fight for the middleweight championship when he returns to the Octagon, and he wants to do it in his hometown. "The Phenom" told Tatame he wants to face the winner of Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Machida at Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He declined to make a prediction for the main event of UFC 175, on July 5, but indicates Weidman as a preferable opponent. "Bring Weidman. Tell him to train more," Belfort said. "Weidman and Vitor. It’s a fight for Mar more

Because Brazil is the one place Belfort can still get licensed lickety-split. Lyoto Machida has a chance to capture the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight title this Saturday night (July 5, 2014) when he fights Chris Weidman in the UFC 175 pay-per-view (PPV) main event, which goes down inside Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. But Vitor Belfort can only see the "All American." That means "The Phenom" will be waiting for Weidman at the conclusion of this weekend's mix more

Vitor Belfort tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone in the random Nevada Athletic Commission drug test he underwent in February, and he has decided to explain the result. Removed from a UFC title fight with Chris Weidman due to a positive drug test result, Belfort said the only reason why he failed the test is because he changed his treatment routine a day before the random test. "I was doing a hormonal treatment and they asked for to do a drug test as if I were any other person," more

LAS VEGAS -- At the UFC 175 media day, UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman discusses Chael Sonnen, the impact of drug testing in MMA, if he would ask for Vitor Belfort to get extra testing if he had to face him next, Eddie Gordon's debut, and much more. more

Chris Weidman sat down with the Media during the build up to 175 and talked about the recent rash of drug test failures in the UFC, and he had some harsh words for Vitor Belfort most particularly. more

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman could be fighting Vitor Belfort later this year, but wants "The Phenom" to undergo extensive drug testing before that happens, as the Brazilian is starting to resemble a horse from all his TRT. more