Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Colorado’s Ring of Fire has long been a place where up-and-coming fighters have developed, preparing to take their next step. Many feel that Chaun Sims could be the next in the line of great talent the company has helped to produce.

Fighting out of the famed Grudge Training Center and Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sims feels 2010 was a big development year for him, especially in how he bounced back from adversity.

“I had the opportunity to step into new realms, had my first step back from my first loss,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

“From that you have to take a real hard look at yourself, take a real hard look at your system that you’re developing through, and since that point I’m happy to say I’ve stepped forward and positively progressed.”

Already a standout at jiu-jitsu, the one area in particular Sims feels he’s progressed has been in his wrestling.

“I think I went from just being a scrappy and tenacious wrestler to adding a more technical element that has success just not based on drive and ferocity, but on technique,” he said.

When Sims makes his Ring of Fire return on Saturday night, he’ll be facing debuting top Brazilian prospect and Vitor Belfort protégé Cesar Ferreira.

According to Sims, while he’s scouted Ferreira, he’s not taking him for granted.

“I’ve watched video on him, but in that same regard I think you can over-analyze your opponent as well,” commented Sims.

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

“Who knows, as much as I’ve changed as a fighter, he might have just as well. I watched the tape and I expect some things, but by no means am I counting on anybody to fight a specific way every single fight.”

While he’s not sure exactly how his opponent will fight that night, one thing is certain, Sims intends to leave it all in the cage.

“That’s how I like to do it,” he stated. “That way you don’t have any excuses afterwards, you don’t have reason why you shouldn’t get finishes if you put it all on the line and let the best man walk away.”

When it comes to fighting in Colorado, altitude can be a fighter’s friend or enemy, but for Sims, it doesn’t play a role in how he expects to perform.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that,” he stated. “If the altitude affects him, that sucks, if it doesn’t, that’s great. I’ll keep beating him until the brakes come off and whenever he’s done, he’s done.”

Sims possesses many of the skills, both physical and intangible that could make him the next breakout Colorado fighter, and he intends on showcasing them all at Ring of Fire 40.

“I would like to thank all my coaches and teammates at Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grudge Training Center; I couldn’t do it without them,” he said in closing.

“Come on out on April 16 to Ring of Fire at the Broomfield Events Center (just outside of Denver). If you can’t catch it live, catch it online, it should be a great time.”

Derek Anderson on Brent Primus: ‘He’s Not Ready for Me’

• 5 hours ago

Derek Anderson feels like he's being held back, so he plans to make a statement with a win over Brent Primus on Friday night. read news >>

Patricky 'Pitbull' plans to beat Awad, go after 'needy child' and 'clown' Will Brooks

• 4 hours ago

With some issues with what he terms a depression in the past, Patricky Freire has a fairly clear idea of how he’d like to see his future progress.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Interview: WSOF 22's Jimmy Spicuzza plans to outstrike Islam Mamedov first, knock on Justin Gaethje's door next

Jimmy Spicuzza knows a thing or three about submissions -- 50 percent of his six professional mixed martial arts (MMA) wins have ended via tapout. With only one loss to date in his four-fight tenure read news >>

Kenny Florian: Correia Beating Rousey Would Be 'Biggest Upset in UFC History'

It feels like another day at the office as Ronda Rousey prepares to defend her UFC title against Bethe Correia at UFC 190. The reigning champ is expected to waltz right into the HSBC Arena in Rio on read news >>

Big Nog believes his fight will be 'Fight of the Night', shrugs off retirement talk

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira feels healthy and wants to put on a show in front of his home crowd. In fact, he is so confident he is not even thinking about retirement no matter what happens. Among many f read news >>

UFC 190: Rousey to dedicate her performance to late 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper

On Saturday night, UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey plans to dedicate her main event fight with Bethe Correia to the pro wrestling legend who is the inspiration for her 'Rowdy' nickname read news >>

UFC 190 fight card: What's at stake?

This feels a bit like UFC 101. UFC 100 was, and basically still is, the most successful UFC event of all time. Most forget, however, UFC 101 was a blockbuster show as well. It, too, either cleared a read news >>

Vitor Belfort vs. Dan Henderson headlines UFC Fight Night card in November

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Vitor Belfort and Dan Henderson will fight for a third time in November. Henderson made the announcement on Twitter. The middleweights will headline the upcoming UFC Fight Night car read news >>

UFC Fight Night 78 set for Sao Paulo with Vitor Belfort-Dan Henderson trilogy rematch

RIO DE JANEIRO – The UFC will return to Brazil in November for a trilogy rematch between Vitor Belfort and Dan Henderson. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dan Henderson vs. Vitor Belfort Trilogy Fight Signed for Sao Paulo in November

Dan Henderson and Vitor Belfort will run it back. The two MMA veterans will clash in November in Sao Paulo, Brazil. UFC Fight Night 78 will be the event on November 7. The two first met in PRIDE 32 i read news >>