Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Colorado’s Ring of Fire has long been a place where up-and-coming fighters have developed, preparing to take their next step. Many feel that Chaun Sims could be the next in the line of great talent the company has helped to produce.

Fighting out of the famed Grudge Training Center and Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sims feels 2010 was a big development year for him, especially in how he bounced back from adversity.

“I had the opportunity to step into new realms, had my first step back from my first loss,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

“From that you have to take a real hard look at yourself, take a real hard look at your system that you’re developing through, and since that point I’m happy to say I’ve stepped forward and positively progressed.”

Already a standout at jiu-jitsu, the one area in particular Sims feels he’s progressed has been in his wrestling.

“I think I went from just being a scrappy and tenacious wrestler to adding a more technical element that has success just not based on drive and ferocity, but on technique,” he said.

When Sims makes his Ring of Fire return on Saturday night, he’ll be facing debuting top Brazilian prospect and Vitor Belfort protégé Cesar Ferreira.

According to Sims, while he’s scouted Ferreira, he’s not taking him for granted.

“I’ve watched video on him, but in that same regard I think you can over-analyze your opponent as well,” commented Sims.

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

“Who knows, as much as I’ve changed as a fighter, he might have just as well. I watched the tape and I expect some things, but by no means am I counting on anybody to fight a specific way every single fight.”

While he’s not sure exactly how his opponent will fight that night, one thing is certain, Sims intends to leave it all in the cage.

“That’s how I like to do it,” he stated. “That way you don’t have any excuses afterwards, you don’t have reason why you shouldn’t get finishes if you put it all on the line and let the best man walk away.”

When it comes to fighting in Colorado, altitude can be a fighter’s friend or enemy, but for Sims, it doesn’t play a role in how he expects to perform.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that,” he stated. “If the altitude affects him, that sucks, if it doesn’t, that’s great. I’ll keep beating him until the brakes come off and whenever he’s done, he’s done.”

Sims possesses many of the skills, both physical and intangible that could make him the next breakout Colorado fighter, and he intends on showcasing them all at Ring of Fire 40.

“I would like to thank all my coaches and teammates at Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grudge Training Center; I couldn’t do it without them,” he said in closing.

“Come on out on April 16 to Ring of Fire at the Broomfield Events Center (just outside of Denver). If you can’t catch it live, catch it online, it should be a great time.”

Werdum Eager to Shock the World Again

Fabricio Werdum shocked the world when he beat the iconic Fedor Emelianenko back in 2009, and he plans to do it again this Saturday night when he faces Cain Velasquez at UFC 188. read news >>

Ahead of UFC 188, Fabricio Werdum feels the same ‘energy’ as when he beat Fedor Emelianenko

UFC interim champion Fabricio Werdum says he feels the same way ahead of UFC 188 as he did before his fight with Fedor Emelianenko. On June 26, 2010, Fabricio Werdum stepped across the cage from argu read news >>

Stipe Miocic happy with Reebok deal, feels he's the best in the heavyweight division

UFC heavyweight contender Stipe Miocic briefly touches on the UFC's Reebok deal and explains why he feels he's the best heavyweight in the world. Since joining forces with the UFC in 2010, Stipe Mioc read news >>

Ryan Bader: Gustafsson 'just doesnt deserve' title shot against Cormier

"Darth" Bader feels he poses a "more dangerous" threat to new UFC champion Daniel Cormier than Alexander Gustafsson. read news >>

Vitor Belfort Still Chasing UFC Title After Brutal UFC 187 Loss to Chris Weidman

Vitor Belfort may have been brutally dispatched by Chris Weidman at UFC 187, but the Brazilian still feels like he has another title run left in him. Speaking with Brazil's Sensei SporTV (h/t MMA Fig read news >>

Fabricio Werdum loves the support from Mexico, feels 'more Mexican than Cain'

Fabricio Werdum reveals how he gets a lot of support from Mexican fans through social media and still believes Cain stalled their fight on purpose. It's fight week for the UFC interim heavyweight cha read news >>

Ben Rothwell Feels Overlooked: ‘I’m Not Getting Any Respect’

Top 10-ranked UFC heavyweight Ben Rothwell believes he's being overlooked as a contender and doesn't think that he receives the respect that he deserves. read news >>

Vitor Belfort: I'm still at the top of my division and can make another run at the UFC title

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight No. 1 contender, Vitor Belfort, was blown away by Chris Weidman at the UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) event last month in Las Vegas, Nevada (video read news >>

Vitor Belfort will start another run at UFC title

Vitor Belfort has won 10 out of 13 fights since 2007, and all of his losses were in UFC title fights. Following a first-round TKO loss to middleweight champion Chris Weidman in May, "The Phenom" stil read news >>

After first-round KO win, 44-year-old Dan Henderson has no plans for retirement

Saturday night would have been a perfect night for Dan Henderson to call it a career. After a rough stretch to the tune of five losses in six fights, the MMA legend flattened Tim Boetsch in just 28 s read news >>