Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Colorado’s Ring of Fire has long been a place where up-and-coming fighters have developed, preparing to take their next step. Many feel that Chaun Sims could be the next in the line of great talent the company has helped to produce.

Fighting out of the famed Grudge Training Center and Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sims feels 2010 was a big development year for him, especially in how he bounced back from adversity.

“I had the opportunity to step into new realms, had my first step back from my first loss,” he told

“From that you have to take a real hard look at yourself, take a real hard look at your system that you’re developing through, and since that point I’m happy to say I’ve stepped forward and positively progressed.”

Already a standout at jiu-jitsu, the one area in particular Sims feels he’s progressed has been in his wrestling.

“I think I went from just being a scrappy and tenacious wrestler to adding a more technical element that has success just not based on drive and ferocity, but on technique,” he said.

When Sims makes his Ring of Fire return on Saturday night, he’ll be facing debuting top Brazilian prospect and Vitor Belfort protégé Cesar Ferreira.

According to Sims, while he’s scouted Ferreira, he’s not taking him for granted.

“I’ve watched video on him, but in that same regard I think you can over-analyze your opponent as well,” commented Sims.

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

“Who knows, as much as I’ve changed as a fighter, he might have just as well. I watched the tape and I expect some things, but by no means am I counting on anybody to fight a specific way every single fight.”

While he’s not sure exactly how his opponent will fight that night, one thing is certain, Sims intends to leave it all in the cage.

“That’s how I like to do it,” he stated. “That way you don’t have any excuses afterwards, you don’t have reason why you shouldn’t get finishes if you put it all on the line and let the best man walk away.”

When it comes to fighting in Colorado, altitude can be a fighter’s friend or enemy, but for Sims, it doesn’t play a role in how he expects to perform.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that,” he stated. “If the altitude affects him, that sucks, if it doesn’t, that’s great. I’ll keep beating him until the brakes come off and whenever he’s done, he’s done.”

Sims possesses many of the skills, both physical and intangible that could make him the next breakout Colorado fighter, and he intends on showcasing them all at Ring of Fire 40.

“I would like to thank all my coaches and teammates at Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grudge Training Center; I couldn’t do it without them,” he said in closing.

“Come on out on April 16 to Ring of Fire at the Broomfield Events Center (just outside of Denver). If you can’t catch it live, catch it online, it should be a great time.”

'Different' Emanuel Newton plans to reclaim Light Heavyweight gold, starting with Phil Davis at 'Dynamite 1'

Former Light Heavyweight champion Emanuel Newton was consistently underestimated by his opponents at their own peril. And he undoubtedly hopes Phil Davis makes the same mistake this weekend. Everyone read news >>

Manager: Josh Barnett has no future plans to compete at Metamoris

Not only is Josh Barnett not currently scheduled to compete against Chael Sonnen at an upcoming Metamoris submission grappling event, don't expect him to compete for the promotion anytime soon. "Josh read news >>

Vitor Belfort on Chris Weidman's UFC 187 drug test: 'Did he stop cycling?'

Vitor Belfort decided to lobby an accusation back in the direction of his UFC middleweight Chris Weidman when discussing drug testing recently. Vitor Belfort's name has come up a bit in recent days d read news >>

Hey Chris Weidman, Vitor Belfort wants to know if you cycled off your testosterone

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight champion Chris Weidman has a big title fight coming up at the UFC 194 pay-per-view (PPV) event. That's where he faces ex-Strikeforce titleholder Luke read news >>

Vitor Belfort talks controversial pre-UFC 187 drug tests, wonders if Chris Weidman stopped 'cycling’

Four months later, Vitor Belfort has decided to fire back at Chris Weidman. Days before the middleweight title fight between Weidman and Belfort in May, a report by ESPN revealed that both fighters p read news >>

Vitor Belfort, other UFC Fight Night 77 stars react to Nick Diaz’s suspension

Nick Diaz was fined $150,000 and suspended for five years by the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) for failing a post-UFC 183 drug test for marijuana use in January, and a few fighters seem to be spli read news >>

Nick Diaz's team plans further legal action after 'kangaroo court' suspension

LAS VEGAS – Nick Diaz’s attorney blasted a five-year suspension handed down by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and said legal action against the regulatory body is forthcoming.Filed under: Featu read news >>

Bagautinov plans to fight for 3-4 more years before transitioning to political career

UFC flyweight Ali Bagautinov plans to fight for three or four more years before transitioning to a career in politics. Fresh of a yearlong suspension for performance enhancing substances, Ali Bagauti read news >>

Urijah Faber prepared Paige VanZant 'a long time ago' for haters

'The California Kid' feels as though budding star Paige VanZant has "pretty girl syndrome", which makes her a target for angry fans. UFC strawweight talent Paige VanZant is quickly becoming one of th read news >>

Ronda Rousey: Retirement Looms, but ‘I’m Not Done Making History Yet’ (Video)

Ronda Rousey makes no secret that she plans an early retirement from MMA, but she also doesn't plan on walking away before she shatters a few more records. read news >>