Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Colorado’s Ring of Fire has long been a place where up-and-coming fighters have developed, preparing to take their next step. Many feel that Chaun Sims could be the next in the line of great talent the company has helped to produce.

Fighting out of the famed Grudge Training Center and Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sims feels 2010 was a big development year for him, especially in how he bounced back from adversity.

“I had the opportunity to step into new realms, had my first step back from my first loss,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

“From that you have to take a real hard look at yourself, take a real hard look at your system that you’re developing through, and since that point I’m happy to say I’ve stepped forward and positively progressed.”

Already a standout at jiu-jitsu, the one area in particular Sims feels he’s progressed has been in his wrestling.

“I think I went from just being a scrappy and tenacious wrestler to adding a more technical element that has success just not based on drive and ferocity, but on technique,” he said.

When Sims makes his Ring of Fire return on Saturday night, he’ll be facing debuting top Brazilian prospect and Vitor Belfort protégé Cesar Ferreira.

According to Sims, while he’s scouted Ferreira, he’s not taking him for granted.

“I’ve watched video on him, but in that same regard I think you can over-analyze your opponent as well,” commented Sims.

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

“Who knows, as much as I’ve changed as a fighter, he might have just as well. I watched the tape and I expect some things, but by no means am I counting on anybody to fight a specific way every single fight.”

While he’s not sure exactly how his opponent will fight that night, one thing is certain, Sims intends to leave it all in the cage.

“That’s how I like to do it,” he stated. “That way you don’t have any excuses afterwards, you don’t have reason why you shouldn’t get finishes if you put it all on the line and let the best man walk away.”

When it comes to fighting in Colorado, altitude can be a fighter’s friend or enemy, but for Sims, it doesn’t play a role in how he expects to perform.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that,” he stated. “If the altitude affects him, that sucks, if it doesn’t, that’s great. I’ll keep beating him until the brakes come off and whenever he’s done, he’s done.”

Sims possesses many of the skills, both physical and intangible that could make him the next breakout Colorado fighter, and he intends on showcasing them all at Ring of Fire 40.

“I would like to thank all my coaches and teammates at Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grudge Training Center; I couldn’t do it without them,” he said in closing.

“Come on out on April 16 to Ring of Fire at the Broomfield Events Center (just outside of Denver). If you can’t catch it live, catch it online, it should be a great time.”

Conor McGregor 'not in my plans for the next 10 months,' says UFC President Dana White

In spite of Conor McGregor’s recent clues that we might be seeing him sooner than originally expected, UFC president Dana White is still not counting on the lightweight champion for ten months.Filed read news >>

Cruz aims to school Garbrandt; 'No Love' ready to open toolbox

Dominick Cruz plans to use his experience and unprecedented style to neutralize the power and youth of title challenger Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207 in the co-main event in Las Vegas at the T-Mobile Are read news >>

Dana White Reiterates Conor McGregor is Not in His Immediate Plans (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White stands by his belief that Conor McGregor won't be back in the Octagon until late in 2017. read news >>

UFC 207's Dong Hyun Kim wanted 'Fight of the Night' but will settle for narrow win

Dong Hyun Kim’s plans for a “Fight of the Night” at UFC 207 obviously fell a bit short.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Max Holloway will 'defend the interim title 10 times' if champ Jose Aldo isn't available

UFC interim featherweight champion Max Holloway plans to stay busy if he can’t get a title-unifier with primary titleholder Jose Aldo.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Fresh Off Tournament Win, Cro Cop Announces Retirement Plans | MMAWeekly.com

Just a few days removed from winning three fights in two days, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has announced plans to retire. read news >>

Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic Announces Plans to Retire... Again | FIGHTLAND

Photo via twitter/nobu_sakakibara Fresh off his triumph on New Year’s Eve—winning Rizin FF’s inaugural Openweight Grand Prix—K1 and Pride legend Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic told Croatian TV of his reti read news >>

Ray Borg sick of fans' weight-cutting criticism, unveils path to UFC champ Demetrious Johnson

Ray Borg said he feels bad for missing weight ahead of this past weekend’s UFC 207 bout with Louis Smolka, but he doesn’t appear to be beating himself up too badly over it.Filed under: Featured Video read news >>

Miesha Tate Has Nose Surgery, and It 'Feels Terrible Right Now' | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate underwent successful nose surgery on Wednesday to 'straighten that very curvy septum.' read news >>

UFC middleweight 'Jacare' Souza's manager posts fake Craigslist ad for next fight

Apparently, Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza’s manager feels like he can’t get through to the UFC middleweight division.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>