Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Colorado’s Ring of Fire has long been a place where up-and-coming fighters have developed, preparing to take their next step. Many feel that Chaun Sims could be the next in the line of great talent the company has helped to produce.

Fighting out of the famed Grudge Training Center and Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sims feels 2010 was a big development year for him, especially in how he bounced back from adversity.

“I had the opportunity to step into new realms, had my first step back from my first loss,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

“From that you have to take a real hard look at yourself, take a real hard look at your system that you’re developing through, and since that point I’m happy to say I’ve stepped forward and positively progressed.”

Already a standout at jiu-jitsu, the one area in particular Sims feels he’s progressed has been in his wrestling.

“I think I went from just being a scrappy and tenacious wrestler to adding a more technical element that has success just not based on drive and ferocity, but on technique,” he said.

When Sims makes his Ring of Fire return on Saturday night, he’ll be facing debuting top Brazilian prospect and Vitor Belfort protégé Cesar Ferreira.

According to Sims, while he’s scouted Ferreira, he’s not taking him for granted.

“I’ve watched video on him, but in that same regard I think you can over-analyze your opponent as well,” commented Sims.

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

“Who knows, as much as I’ve changed as a fighter, he might have just as well. I watched the tape and I expect some things, but by no means am I counting on anybody to fight a specific way every single fight.”

While he’s not sure exactly how his opponent will fight that night, one thing is certain, Sims intends to leave it all in the cage.

“That’s how I like to do it,” he stated. “That way you don’t have any excuses afterwards, you don’t have reason why you shouldn’t get finishes if you put it all on the line and let the best man walk away.”

When it comes to fighting in Colorado, altitude can be a fighter’s friend or enemy, but for Sims, it doesn’t play a role in how he expects to perform.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that,” he stated. “If the altitude affects him, that sucks, if it doesn’t, that’s great. I’ll keep beating him until the brakes come off and whenever he’s done, he’s done.”

Sims possesses many of the skills, both physical and intangible that could make him the next breakout Colorado fighter, and he intends on showcasing them all at Ring of Fire 40.

“I would like to thank all my coaches and teammates at Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grudge Training Center; I couldn’t do it without them,” he said in closing.

“Come on out on April 16 to Ring of Fire at the Broomfield Events Center (just outside of Denver). If you can’t catch it live, catch it online, it should be a great time.”

Cody Garbrandt Plans to KO Thomas Almeida, Cuts Ties with TJ Dillashaw (Video)

Cody Garbrandt explains why he'll beat Thomas Almeida and stay undefeated when the two meet in the UFC Fight Night 88 main event on May 29 in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 200: Diaz-McGregor Rematch Might Make Dollars, but Does It Make Sense?

In some ways it feels like the more we learn about UFC 200, the less we understand. The UFC on Wednesday confirmed earlier reports that Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor are indeed headed for an immediate read news >>

Seven Years In, Dakota Cochrane’s Career Finally Falling into Place

More than 30 fights and seven years into his career, Dakota Cochrane feels that things are finally falling into place, as he heads into Friday night's Victory FC 49. read news >>

Vitor Belfort Says Winner of His UFC 198 Fight with Jacare Souza Deserves Title Shot

Third-ranked middleweight Vitor Belfort believes the winner of his UFC 198 bout against second-ranked Jacare Souza deserves a title fight. read news >>

UFC 198's Antonio Rogerio Nogueira had no plans to retire alongside brother

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira is the last man standing in the UFC from his family after twin brother Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira retired in September. But “Little Nog” insists he’s got a lot left in the tank read news >>

Ronda Rousey Plans 'World Domination' as Lyoto Machida Issues Cyborg Warning

Ronda Rousey is planning a return to the UFC and is aiming to reassert the dominance she enjoyed before her November defeat to Holly Holm, according to her nutrition coach, Mike Dolce. Before the bru read news >>

Derrick Lewis plans to stop Gabriel Gonzaga in first, stop Roy Nelson in July

ZAGREB, Croatia – Heavyweight Derrick Lewis has a simple plan for his UFC Fight Night 86 appearance: knock Gabriel Gonzaga out in the first round and book a fight with Roy Nelson.Filed under: Feature read news >>

UFC plans return to Germany in fall, eyes UK event by year's end

ZAGREB, Croatia – As the UFC conducts the second of three European fight cards over a 10-week span, the promotion is already making plans for a few more events in the region, as well. James Elliott, read news >>

Tumultuous 2015 Behind Him, Ben Askren Plans to Stay Busy This Year

Although 2015 was a wash for him, Ben Askren intends to remain busy this year, beginning with Friday's ONE: Global Rivals main event title defense. read news >>

Brian Rogers Plans to Unleash the Predator on Italy at Bellator 152

Back on track, Brian Rogers plans to unleash the Predator on Italy, when he faces Alessio Sakara this week at Bellator 152. read news >>