Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Colorado’s Ring of Fire has long been a place where up-and-coming fighters have developed, preparing to take their next step. Many feel that Chaun Sims could be the next in the line of great talent the company has helped to produce.

Fighting out of the famed Grudge Training Center and Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sims feels 2010 was a big development year for him, especially in how he bounced back from adversity.

“I had the opportunity to step into new realms, had my first step back from my first loss,” he told

“From that you have to take a real hard look at yourself, take a real hard look at your system that you’re developing through, and since that point I’m happy to say I’ve stepped forward and positively progressed.”

Already a standout at jiu-jitsu, the one area in particular Sims feels he’s progressed has been in his wrestling.

“I think I went from just being a scrappy and tenacious wrestler to adding a more technical element that has success just not based on drive and ferocity, but on technique,” he said.

When Sims makes his Ring of Fire return on Saturday night, he’ll be facing debuting top Brazilian prospect and Vitor Belfort protégé Cesar Ferreira.

According to Sims, while he’s scouted Ferreira, he’s not taking him for granted.

“I’ve watched video on him, but in that same regard I think you can over-analyze your opponent as well,” commented Sims.

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

“Who knows, as much as I’ve changed as a fighter, he might have just as well. I watched the tape and I expect some things, but by no means am I counting on anybody to fight a specific way every single fight.”

While he’s not sure exactly how his opponent will fight that night, one thing is certain, Sims intends to leave it all in the cage.

“That’s how I like to do it,” he stated. “That way you don’t have any excuses afterwards, you don’t have reason why you shouldn’t get finishes if you put it all on the line and let the best man walk away.”

When it comes to fighting in Colorado, altitude can be a fighter’s friend or enemy, but for Sims, it doesn’t play a role in how he expects to perform.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that,” he stated. “If the altitude affects him, that sucks, if it doesn’t, that’s great. I’ll keep beating him until the brakes come off and whenever he’s done, he’s done.”

Sims possesses many of the skills, both physical and intangible that could make him the next breakout Colorado fighter, and he intends on showcasing them all at Ring of Fire 40.

“I would like to thank all my coaches and teammates at Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grudge Training Center; I couldn’t do it without them,” he said in closing.

“Come on out on April 16 to Ring of Fire at the Broomfield Events Center (just outside of Denver). If you can’t catch it live, catch it online, it should be a great time.”

MMA Road Show with John Morgan No. 32: Belfort, Nogueira, Rumble, Prates, Bohn

Episode No. 32 of “The MMA Road Show with John Morgan” podcast, featuring Vitor Belfort, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Anthony Johnson, Fernanda Prates and Mike Bohn, is now available for streaming and d read news >>

Latest batch of USADA testing: 23 tests, including a pair for Vitor Belfort

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has released its latest round of drug testing numbers, and 14 fighters have taken part in the new testing process for the first time.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night Sao Paulo Video: Vitor Belfort Bouncing Back

Even a legend like Vitor Belfort can still learn from his mistakes at 38 years old. "The Phenom" looks to bounce back after losing to Chris Weidman. read news >>

Will Vitor Belfort or Dan Henderson Opt for a Graceful Exit After Third Fight?

Vitor Belfort and Dan Henderson can’t seem to find a good way to leave the party. They were among the earliest to arrive, and somehow they’re both still here, still dancing, despite the fact most oth read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Belfort, Henderson, Teixeira, Cummins, Guida, Trujillo

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Vitor Belfort, Dan Henderson, Glover Teixeira, Pat Cummins, Clay Guida and Abel Trujillo.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daily Fantasy MMA: DraftKings Picks for Dan Henderson vs. Vitor Belfort 3 Card

DraftKings players ought to avoid the third fight in the Dan Henderson vs. Vitor Belfort trilogy. While there's some logic in taking Belfort ($10,800) considering he flattened Henderson with a first- read news >>

The Complete Guide to UFC Fight Night 77: Henderson vs. Belfort III

Legendary fighters Dan Henderson and Vitor Belfort meet for a third and hopefully final time this Saturday night as the UFC returns to Fox Sports 1. This is essentially as good as a Fight Night on th read news >>

Vitor Belfort: I never fought without approval of a commission and the UFC

SAO PAULO – Just when it seemed like Vitor Belfort may have finally been done talking about TRT, an article releasing new details of his previous treatments brought it all back into light. "The Pheno read news >>

Vitor Belfort vs. Dan Henderson 3: A Head-to-Toe Breakdown

Two rivals square off in the middleweight main event of UFC Fight Night 77 on Saturday when old lions Vitor Belfort and Dan Henderson clash. No. 4-ranked middleweight Belfort returned from a long lay read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77: Belfort vs. Henderson 3 Video Preview

Dan Henderson and Vitor Belfort are even at one win apiece in their head-to-head battles. On Saturday, they aim to settle the score once and for all. read news >>