Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Colorado’s Ring of Fire has long been a place where up-and-coming fighters have developed, preparing to take their next step. Many feel that Chaun Sims could be the next in the line of great talent the company has helped to produce.

Fighting out of the famed Grudge Training Center and Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sims feels 2010 was a big development year for him, especially in how he bounced back from adversity.

“I had the opportunity to step into new realms, had my first step back from my first loss,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

“From that you have to take a real hard look at yourself, take a real hard look at your system that you’re developing through, and since that point I’m happy to say I’ve stepped forward and positively progressed.”

Already a standout at jiu-jitsu, the one area in particular Sims feels he’s progressed has been in his wrestling.

“I think I went from just being a scrappy and tenacious wrestler to adding a more technical element that has success just not based on drive and ferocity, but on technique,” he said.

When Sims makes his Ring of Fire return on Saturday night, he’ll be facing debuting top Brazilian prospect and Vitor Belfort protégé Cesar Ferreira.

According to Sims, while he’s scouted Ferreira, he’s not taking him for granted.

“I’ve watched video on him, but in that same regard I think you can over-analyze your opponent as well,” commented Sims.

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

“Who knows, as much as I’ve changed as a fighter, he might have just as well. I watched the tape and I expect some things, but by no means am I counting on anybody to fight a specific way every single fight.”

While he’s not sure exactly how his opponent will fight that night, one thing is certain, Sims intends to leave it all in the cage.

“That’s how I like to do it,” he stated. “That way you don’t have any excuses afterwards, you don’t have reason why you shouldn’t get finishes if you put it all on the line and let the best man walk away.”

When it comes to fighting in Colorado, altitude can be a fighter’s friend or enemy, but for Sims, it doesn’t play a role in how he expects to perform.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that,” he stated. “If the altitude affects him, that sucks, if it doesn’t, that’s great. I’ll keep beating him until the brakes come off and whenever he’s done, he’s done.”

Sims possesses many of the skills, both physical and intangible that could make him the next breakout Colorado fighter, and he intends on showcasing them all at Ring of Fire 40.

“I would like to thank all my coaches and teammates at Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grudge Training Center; I couldn’t do it without them,” he said in closing.

“Come on out on April 16 to Ring of Fire at the Broomfield Events Center (just outside of Denver). If you can’t catch it live, catch it online, it should be a great time.”

Vitor Belfort: 'I think I'm getting younger'

Nineteen year MMA veteran Vitor Belfort feels his MMA craft is as sharp as ever heading into his championship showdown with Chris Weidman at UFC 187. Is Vitor Belfort the true Benjamin Button of mixe read news >>

Bellator 136: Dave Jansen: I think Will Brooks feels like an impostor

Bellator lightweight Number 1 contender, Dave Jansen weighs in on opponent, Will Brooks ahead of their title bout and discusses an unusual training method he uses for hand-eye coordination developmen read news >>

Marcin Held confident in his improved striking, but plans to take the fight to the ground quickly

Bellator lightweight, Marcin Held talks to Bloody Elbow ahead of his fight with Russian destroyer, Tiger Sarnavskiy. He discussed a variety of topics including his desire to avenge losses to Chandler read news >>

T.J. Hepburn’s Big Plans Begin with Beating LaRue Burley at RFA 25

Undefeated welterweight T.J. Hepburn plans to be aggressive against fellow unbeaten LaRue Burley at RFA 25 on April 10. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 72: Tony Ferguson to expedite Josh Thomson's retirement plans in San Diego

After losing to Ben Henderson via razor-thin split decision at UFC on FOX 10, Josh Thomson contemplated retiring from mixed martial arts (MMA). But with the chance of fighting in his home town of San read news >>

With eyes on a ridiculous year, two-sport star Joe Schilling feels 'like I'm starring in my own movie'

When Joe Schilling was a younger man, his biggest problems were the same as any burgeoning kickboxer in America: lack of fights and lack of finances. Nowadays, if Schilling can somehow find time to t read news >>

Georges St-Pierre: If I ever come back, 'I can still be on top'

GSP feels that he still has what it takes to be the best mixed martial artist in the world. It has been way over a year since we have seen Georges St-Pierre last compete. After a close split-decision read news >>

Fabricio Werdum: If Cain Velasquez takes me down, 'I say thank you'

The UFC interim champion feels confident leading up to his big unification fight against regular champion Cain Velasquez. In last night's episode of FOX Sports 1's UFC Tonight show, UFC interim heavy read news >>

Bellator 136's Will Brooks wants to make Dave Jansen give up the sport

Will Brooks wants MMA fans to understand he plans to hold the Bellator MMA lightweight title for a long, long time.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>