Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Colorado’s Ring of Fire has long been a place where up-and-coming fighters have developed, preparing to take their next step. Many feel that Chaun Sims could be the next in the line of great talent the company has helped to produce.

Fighting out of the famed Grudge Training Center and Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sims feels 2010 was a big development year for him, especially in how he bounced back from adversity.

“I had the opportunity to step into new realms, had my first step back from my first loss,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

“From that you have to take a real hard look at yourself, take a real hard look at your system that you’re developing through, and since that point I’m happy to say I’ve stepped forward and positively progressed.”

Already a standout at jiu-jitsu, the one area in particular Sims feels he’s progressed has been in his wrestling.

“I think I went from just being a scrappy and tenacious wrestler to adding a more technical element that has success just not based on drive and ferocity, but on technique,” he said.

When Sims makes his Ring of Fire return on Saturday night, he’ll be facing debuting top Brazilian prospect and Vitor Belfort protégé Cesar Ferreira.

According to Sims, while he’s scouted Ferreira, he’s not taking him for granted.

“I’ve watched video on him, but in that same regard I think you can over-analyze your opponent as well,” commented Sims.

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

“Who knows, as much as I’ve changed as a fighter, he might have just as well. I watched the tape and I expect some things, but by no means am I counting on anybody to fight a specific way every single fight.”

While he’s not sure exactly how his opponent will fight that night, one thing is certain, Sims intends to leave it all in the cage.

“That’s how I like to do it,” he stated. “That way you don’t have any excuses afterwards, you don’t have reason why you shouldn’t get finishes if you put it all on the line and let the best man walk away.”

When it comes to fighting in Colorado, altitude can be a fighter’s friend or enemy, but for Sims, it doesn’t play a role in how he expects to perform.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that,” he stated. “If the altitude affects him, that sucks, if it doesn’t, that’s great. I’ll keep beating him until the brakes come off and whenever he’s done, he’s done.”

Sims possesses many of the skills, both physical and intangible that could make him the next breakout Colorado fighter, and he intends on showcasing them all at Ring of Fire 40.

“I would like to thank all my coaches and teammates at Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grudge Training Center; I couldn’t do it without them,” he said in closing.

“Come on out on April 16 to Ring of Fire at the Broomfield Events Center (just outside of Denver). If you can’t catch it live, catch it online, it should be a great time.”

Injury to Linton Vassell Causes Bellator 158 Main Card Shift

An injury to Linton Vassell has derailed his summer plans of competing in front of his fellow Englishmen against Francis Carmont at Bellator 158: London. read news >>

Joe Taimanglo Plans to Secure His Place as 135-Pound Contender at Bellator 159

Joe Taimanglo looks for his fourth straight win when he takes on undefeated prospect Darrion Caldwell in a 135-pound main event at Bellator 159 on July 22. read news >>

Mark Hunt Puts UFC on Blast, Plans on Forming a Fighter Association

After Brock Lesnar was flagged for a second potential anti-doping violation, his UFC 200 opponent, Mark Hunt, is planning the formation of a fighter union. read news >>

Dan Henderson Plans to Retire After Michael Bisping Fight

Win or lose, when Dan Henderson fights Michael Bisping for the UFC middleweight championship, it will likely be the last time that we see him in the Octagon. read news >>

Josh Hill Believes He’s Ready to Take the WSOF Belt Off Marlon Moraes

Heading into a rematch with WSOF champion Marlon Moraes, Josh Hill feels he's learned and improved to the point he's ready to take the title. read news >>

UFC 201 Embedded, Episode 2: Family Time, Fishing and Final Preparations

On Episode 2 of UFC 201 Embedded, strawweight Rose Namajunas feels emotionally and physically primed for her upcoming bout, as her opponent Karolina Kowalkiewicz settles in Atlanta. read news >>

Vitor Belfort vs. Gegard Mousasi in the Works for UFC 204

With Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson targeted as the UFC 204 headliner, a marquee match-up between Vitor Belfort and Gegard Mousasi is also in the works. read news >>

Chris Lopez Respects His RFA 41 Opponent, but Plans To ‘Do His Thing’

Chris Lopez will look to get back on the winning track when he takes on Fabio Trindade in a main card 170-pound bout at RFA 41 on July 29 in San Antonio, Texas. read news >>

Jodie Esquibel ‘Feels Good’ About Invicta FC 18 Match-Up Against Unbeaten Alexa Grasso

• a day ago

Jodie Esquibel will have no easy task in her return to Invicta on Friday, when she faces undefeated prospect Alexa Grasso in the evening’s 115-pound main event. read news >>

WSOF Global Championship President of Ops Has Big Plans for Promotion’s Future

• a day ago

WSOF-GC Vice President of Operations Jason Lilly gave his thoughts on the company’s upcoming event, how the promotion has done so far, and what’s ahead. read news >>