Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Colorado’s Ring of Fire has long been a place where up-and-coming fighters have developed, preparing to take their next step. Many feel that Chaun Sims could be the next in the line of great talent the company has helped to produce.

Fighting out of the famed Grudge Training Center and Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sims feels 2010 was a big development year for him, especially in how he bounced back from adversity.

“I had the opportunity to step into new realms, had my first step back from my first loss,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

“From that you have to take a real hard look at yourself, take a real hard look at your system that you’re developing through, and since that point I’m happy to say I’ve stepped forward and positively progressed.”

Already a standout at jiu-jitsu, the one area in particular Sims feels he’s progressed has been in his wrestling.

“I think I went from just being a scrappy and tenacious wrestler to adding a more technical element that has success just not based on drive and ferocity, but on technique,” he said.

When Sims makes his Ring of Fire return on Saturday night, he’ll be facing debuting top Brazilian prospect and Vitor Belfort protégé Cesar Ferreira.

According to Sims, while he’s scouted Ferreira, he’s not taking him for granted.

“I’ve watched video on him, but in that same regard I think you can over-analyze your opponent as well,” commented Sims.

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

“Who knows, as much as I’ve changed as a fighter, he might have just as well. I watched the tape and I expect some things, but by no means am I counting on anybody to fight a specific way every single fight.”

While he’s not sure exactly how his opponent will fight that night, one thing is certain, Sims intends to leave it all in the cage.

“That’s how I like to do it,” he stated. “That way you don’t have any excuses afterwards, you don’t have reason why you shouldn’t get finishes if you put it all on the line and let the best man walk away.”

When it comes to fighting in Colorado, altitude can be a fighter’s friend or enemy, but for Sims, it doesn’t play a role in how he expects to perform.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that,” he stated. “If the altitude affects him, that sucks, if it doesn’t, that’s great. I’ll keep beating him until the brakes come off and whenever he’s done, he’s done.”

Sims possesses many of the skills, both physical and intangible that could make him the next breakout Colorado fighter, and he intends on showcasing them all at Ring of Fire 40.

“I would like to thank all my coaches and teammates at Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grudge Training Center; I couldn’t do it without them,” he said in closing.

“Come on out on April 16 to Ring of Fire at the Broomfield Events Center (just outside of Denver). If you can’t catch it live, catch it online, it should be a great time.”

From Around the Web

Vitor Belfort has 'saved many events,' feels no regret for turning down interim title fights at UFC 184

Vitor Belfort and his team knew fans and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) brass would not be pleased once it was revealed "The Phenom" turned down interim title fights at UFC 184 against Lyoto Ma read news >>

Vitor Belfort has no regrets about balking on UFC 184 fight: 'I'm the guy who has saved many events'

Vitor Belfort could have fought at UFC 184 after Chris Weidman went down with a rib injury. The UFC offered him a few opponents; Belfort's team countered with some of their own. At the end of the day read news >>

Chris Weidman responds to Vitor Belfort: 'I am open for being tested any day'

Shots fired! ... Well sort of. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) No. 1 middleweight contender Vitor Belfort complained earlier this week that the athletic commissions are essentially picking on hi read news >>

Interview Exclusive: Adrien Broner plans to tone down outrageous persona, but 'not too much'

In a recent interview with Bloody Elbow, boxing's most outrageous talent, Adrien Broner discusses a variety of topics ranging from the future of boxing to toning down his infamous persona. Tonight, p read news >>

UFC 186's Renan Barao believes T.J. Dillashaw 'way too cocky' for young title reign

MONTREAL – Renan Barao said he feels disrespected by talk of a potential bout between UFC champions T.J. Dillashaw and Demetrious Johnson.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Vitor Belfort on being drug tested more than Chris Weidman: 'It's not fair'

Vitor Belfort, who has failed a steroid test in the past and was a TRT user, is having trouble understanding why he has been drug tested seven times while his opponent has only been tested once. Vito read news >>

Vitor Belfort: It's not fair they drug test me seven times but only test Chris Weidman once

Sounds like the athletic commissions are picking on Vitor Belfort. "The Phenom" is expected to challenge Chris Weidman for the middleweight title in the upcoming UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) co-main ev read news >>

Vitor Belfort: ‘It’s not fair that they test me seven times and only test [Chris Weidman] once’

Vitor Belfort will try to add another title to his resume when he takes on UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman on May 23 in Las Vegas, but wants his opponent to be randomly drug tested for UFC 18 read news >>

Morning Report: The next B.J. Penn, Anthony Pettis plans on being UFC's 'pay-per-view king'

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis has only defended his title once since taking it off Benson Henderson at UFC 164 in 2013, but he's already planning out his legacy in the division. "Me getting read news >>