Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims putting the leather on Andreas Spang at Ring of Fire 38

Colorado’s Ring of Fire has long been a place where up-and-coming fighters have developed, preparing to take their next step. Many feel that Chaun Sims could be the next in the line of great talent the company has helped to produce.

Fighting out of the famed Grudge Training Center and Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sims feels 2010 was a big development year for him, especially in how he bounced back from adversity.

“I had the opportunity to step into new realms, had my first step back from my first loss,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

“From that you have to take a real hard look at yourself, take a real hard look at your system that you’re developing through, and since that point I’m happy to say I’ve stepped forward and positively progressed.”

Already a standout at jiu-jitsu, the one area in particular Sims feels he’s progressed has been in his wrestling.

“I think I went from just being a scrappy and tenacious wrestler to adding a more technical element that has success just not based on drive and ferocity, but on technique,” he said.

When Sims makes his Ring of Fire return on Saturday night, he’ll be facing debuting top Brazilian prospect and Vitor Belfort protégé Cesar Ferreira.

According to Sims, while he’s scouted Ferreira, he’s not taking him for granted.

“I’ve watched video on him, but in that same regard I think you can over-analyze your opponent as well,” commented Sims.

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

Chaun Sims grounding and pounding at Ring of Fire 38

“Who knows, as much as I’ve changed as a fighter, he might have just as well. I watched the tape and I expect some things, but by no means am I counting on anybody to fight a specific way every single fight.”

While he’s not sure exactly how his opponent will fight that night, one thing is certain, Sims intends to leave it all in the cage.

“That’s how I like to do it,” he stated. “That way you don’t have any excuses afterwards, you don’t have reason why you shouldn’t get finishes if you put it all on the line and let the best man walk away.”

When it comes to fighting in Colorado, altitude can be a fighter’s friend or enemy, but for Sims, it doesn’t play a role in how he expects to perform.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that,” he stated. “If the altitude affects him, that sucks, if it doesn’t, that’s great. I’ll keep beating him until the brakes come off and whenever he’s done, he’s done.”

Sims possesses many of the skills, both physical and intangible that could make him the next breakout Colorado fighter, and he intends on showcasing them all at Ring of Fire 40.

“I would like to thank all my coaches and teammates at Easton Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grudge Training Center; I couldn’t do it without them,” he said in closing.

“Come on out on April 16 to Ring of Fire at the Broomfield Events Center (just outside of Denver). If you can’t catch it live, catch it online, it should be a great time.”

Amanda Nunes: ‘Miesha Tate Has a Lot of Holes in Her Game’

Title challenger Amanda Nunes says women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate has 'a lot of holes in her game,' and plans to exploit them at UFC 200. read news >>

UFC 198 Free Fight: Vitor Belfort Knocks Out Michael Bisping

Vitor Belfort is 6-0 in Brazil while fighting in the UFC. Belfort looks to remain unbeaten in his home country when he faces Jacare Souza in the co-main event at UFC 198. read news >>

Amir Khan Wants to Showcase His Striking at ONE: Ascent to Power

A longtime Thai fighters, Amir Khan plans to show off his striking at ONE: Ascent to Power and make everyone take notice. read news >>

Tonya Evinger Plans to Punish Colleen Schneider in Invicta FC 17 Title Defense

Tonya Evinger has plans to put the hurt on Colleen Schneider in her Invicta FC 17 title defense on Saturday night. read news >>

UFC 198 Countdown Video: Jacare Souza vs. Vitor Belfort

Go inside the training camps of middleweight contenders as they prepare for UFC 198. Vitor Belfort and Jacare Souza fight for a possible title shot. read news >>

UFC 198: Jacare Souza vs. Vitor Belfort, a Head-to-Toe Breakdown

UFC 198 plays host to a heavyweight title tilt on Saturday, May 14, but that isn't the only big fight on the incredible card. Bleacher Report's No. 3-ranked middleweight Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza takes read news >>

Stipe Miocic is in the fight game to win title; plans to win it for Cleveland

No. 1 contender Stipe Miocic has had a vision of winning the belt since he started in the UFC. On Saturday night in enemy territory - Curitiba, Brazil at UFC 198 - Miocic plans to take out Fabricio W read news >>

Belfort living the dream decades into career

Almost 20 years since his Octagon debut, Vitor Belfort is showing no signs of slowing in search of ufc glory read news >>

UFC 198 Joe Rogan Video Preview: Vitor Belfort vs. Jacare Souza

With possible title shot implications, the fight between Jacare Souza and Vitor Belfort will be an all out war. Hear UFC commentator Joe Rogan's take on the bout. read news >>

Ronaldo Souza vs. Vitor Belfort Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 198

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza put himself back into title contention at UFC 198 with a first-round technical-knockout win over Vitor Belfort in the co-main event in Brazil on Saturday. MMAFighting.com provi read news >>