Gregor GracieAfter winning six of his first seven fights, former Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion Gregor Gracie suffered a setback in his first fight of 2012 when he lost to Adam Kayoon fighting for One FC in Asia.

“My first fight of the year wasn’t a very good performance for me,” Gracie told MMAWeekly.com. “I think I lacked a little bit of experience on my part.

“I burnt myself out in the first round because I thought the fight was going to finish, and I didn’t finish him, so when I came back I was very tired. I don’t think it was too much of a tactical mistake, I was just lacking experience.”

Gracie managed to right himself in his next fight against Nicholas Mann and arguably have the most complete performance of his young career.

“I came back strong in my second fight, and I think I dominated a very strong opponent,” said Gracie. “I think it was the best fight I’ve ever had.

“I was very good in every position that we were in. (Mann) is a very strong guy and he was much heavier than me, but I was able to dominate him, so I believe it was my best fight ever.”

Gracie will see if he can pick up his second straight victory when he fights Tyson Steele on the debut World Series of Fighting show in Las Vegas, which airs live on Nov. 3 on NBC Sports Network.

“We are both ground fighters, so I think it will end up on the ground, but it’s not a grappling tournament, so I think whoever manages to stay on top is going to have the better of the fight,” said Gracie. “Whoever lands on top on the ground is going to have the advantage and we’re going to go to there.”

Gracie knows that a lot people will have their eyes on him on Saturday night because of his family’s famous lineage. To him, it’s not additional pressure, but rather a motivating factor to continue to spread the Gracie name in MMA.

“I know I’m not just fighting for myself, but for a whole legacy and guys are going to come after me often (because of it),” said Gracie. “I want my kids to look up to me one day as I did to my brothers and my uncles.

“For sure it gives me a lot of motivation and I do not want to disappoint, and show the world that all the years into this sport we are still here and still strong.”

Personally speaking, Gracie’s goal for the immediate future is just continue to gain experience and develop himself into a complete MMA fighter.

“I’m very excited to be fighting at the WSOF and I’m sure it’s going to be a great show and they’re going to be big,” he said. “After that I just want to keep fighting and get better with every fight.

“Of course, I want to be a champion, but I don’t want to be just any champion, I want to be the very best I can be.”

(Photo courtesy of Dominance MMA)

Watch the World Series of Fighting Prelims LIVE on MMAWeekly.com, Saturday at 7:30 p.m. ET/4:30 p.m. PT.

From Around the Web

Invicta FC's Livia Renata Souza hid title fight from family

• a day ago

Livia Renata Souza will make her Invicta FC debut on Friday night, and it’s going to be the biggest night of her life. The Brazilian prospect, who signed a contract with the promotion after going 6-0 read news >>

Matt Hamill withdraws from WSOF 19 due to illness

The World Series of Fighting 19 card tonight in Phoenix, Arizona has been shaken up in a big way. Due to Matt Hamill withdrawing from the show due to illness, the two light heavyweight fights have be read news >>

TJ Dillashaw: Renan Barao's excuse was not making weight, I actually have a broken bone

The mixed martial arts (MMA) overlords seemingly don't want to see Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweight kingpin TJ Dillashaw rematch former champ Renan Barao. Or at least it seems that w read news >>

Matt Hamill out of WSOF 19 bout opposite Thiago Silva

Matt Hamill's rematch with Thiago Silva and WSOF debut will have to wait. According to PR representative Mike Afromowitz, Hamill has been forced to withdraw from his bout at the eleventh hour of thei read news >>

World Series of Fighting 19: Gaethje vs. Palomino results, discussion, and live video stream

Discuss and watch tonight's World Series of Fighting 19 event right here on Bloody Elbow! The main event pits undefeated WSOF LW champion Justin Gaethje taking on Luis Palomino. No UFC tonight? No pr read news >>

Jake Heun Heads into WSOF 19 Ready to Make His Mark

Having bounced back from a short stint on The Ultimate Fighter, Jake Heun ready to make his mark at WSOF 19 on Saturday. read news >>

WSOF 19 predictions

One of World Series of Fighting (WSOF)'s stars in lightweight champion Justin Gaethje returns to the cage against top WSOF contender Luis 'Baboon' Palomino. Gaethje will not only look to defend his t read news >>

Gasan Umalatov out of UFC Fight Night 64, newcomer Mickael Lebout meets Sergio Moraes

The changes continue for the UFC’s debut in Poland next month. With Gasan Umalatov, newcomer Mickael Lebout steps in to fight Sergio Moraes.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

WSOF 19 results, live video stream

World Series of Fighting (WSOF) 19: "Gaethje vs. Palomino" takes place TONIGHT (Sat., March 28, 2015) at the Comerica Theatre in Phoenix, Arizona. Tonight's card will see Justin Gaethje defend his li read news >>