After his successful title defense Saturday at UFC 159, Jon Jones explained his ground-and-pound strategy by saying he wanted to beat Chael Sonnen at his own game.

That was no mistake. In fact, attacking an opponent’s strength is a strategy his camp often utilizes, according to trainer Greg Jackson.

In an interview Monday with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Jackson discussed game plans, preparation and more.

On why Jones wanted to take Sonnen down: “You always have to remember one of the dictums of our strategy is you don’t necessarily stay away from a guy’s strength. If you feel you can do better at it, you can head on attack it. If you take away what your opponent is good at, if that is no longer an option and your opponent hasn’t layered their game plan so there’s no real plan B, where do you go psychologically? It’s always a good idea if you know your guy can outdo the other guy at their strength to charge right at that strength and basically just break them mentally. You want to make sure you’ve taken away their safety zone [and] you’ve taken away what they’re supposed to do. That can have a very, very powerful psychological effect on people.”

On whether Jones set a positive precedent by declining to fight Sonnen at UFC 151 on short notice: “I don’t know. I don’t know if it was a good thing or a bad thing. I just go from fight to fight. The outside parameter stuff is not stuff -- because I’m not a promoter -- that I worry about that much. I’m not sure what kind of a statement it made. I’m not sure of any of the implications. I suppose that’s for people to debate. All I know is … Sonnen is very tough. He got dismantled, but understand that he’s a tough guy. Every argument that you can bring that Chael’s not a tough guy, I have a nice counter for. My favorite is the no punching power and then he drops Anderson Silva. Obviously he’s a very tough guy and he needs to be taken very seriously.

“Jon hit the nail on the head. Part of the reason Jon looked so good and is able to dismantle these people the way he is, is he’s very well prepared. That has a lot to do with it. I think people think that you can just jump in there and fight and win at the highest levels with no preparation, that you just go in there and fight, just do your thing and fight. It doesn’t work like that. You see the people that believe that, that just go in with no preparation, can get very far, but they’ll never be at the top, top level because the world just doesn’t work that way. You need to be prepared.”

On whether he feels vindicated after Dana White had called him a sport killer when Jones declined to fight Sonnen at UFC 151: “No, I don’t think in those terms. Dana and I are cool. It’s not like, ‘Oh, I’m going to prove to everyone.’ I just follow what strategy tells me to follow. Being prepared for your battle and fighting your battles when you’re prepared is a lot older than me, and a lot smarter people than I am have said that.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:58:37).

Tyron Woodley Would Choose Georges St-Pierre Over Nick Diaz for First UFC Title Defense

Newly minted UFC welterweight champ Tyron Woodley says that he would opt for Georges St-Pierre over Nick Diaz for first title defense. Says it could happen. read news >>

Jon Jones Takes Plea Deal in Drag Racing Case

Jon Jones, already on probation for a felony hit-and-run case, accepted a plea deal in Albuquerque Metropolitan Court on Thursday. read news >>

Jon Jones Teases Quick Return from USADA Suspension in Instagram Post

Jon Jones has had a rough 12 months, but the former UFC light heavyweight champ feels like things are starting to turn around. That seems to be the case, at least, as Jones indicated he may be back i read news >>

Jon Jones Says He’ll Be Back in the Octagon ‘Really Soon’

UFC interim light heavyweight champion Jon Jones sounds as if he's come into some good news regarding his UFC Anti-Doping Policy case. read news >>

UFC 200 Bad Blood Video: Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor Talk Psychological Warfare

Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz reveal how they dismantle their opponents without ever stepping inside the Octagon. read news >>

Dana White Says it Looks Like Jon Jones Took ‘Something Else,’ Could Be Good News

Dana White on Tuesday appeared to back Jon Jones' recent statement that he could be back really soon. read news >>

Anthony Johnson Video: Stop Talking About Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones, I Have to Fight Glover

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson has a big fight in front of him in the form of Glover Teixeira at UFC 202 on Aug. 20. If it's all the same with you, he'd really like it if everyone would quit asking him abo read news >>

Glover Teixeira Focused on Anthony Johnson, Doesn’t Really Care About Jon Jones (UFC 202 Video)

Glover Teixeira could be lined up for a title fight is he gets past Anthony "Rumble" Johnson at UFC 202 on Aug. 20, but all everyone wants to talk about is Jon Jones. read news >>

McGregor tells Men's Health his workout secrets

The Unconventional 13-Minute Workout That Helps UFC Fighter Conor McGregor Knock Out Opponents In 13 Seconds By menshealth.com read news >>

Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

In a light heavyweight landscape without Jon Jones, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is the clear-cut No. 1 contender to Daniel Cormier's throne. That's the statement Johnson went about proving in the co-mai read news >>