Dave Herman (left) will reportedly make his Octagon debut at UFC 131. | Taro Irei/Sherdog.com

Dave “Pee Wee” Herman has been released from his contract with Japanese promotion Sengoku and has reportedly signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Herman’s manager, Shu Hirata, confirmed the heavyweight’s release from Sengoku with MMAFighting.com early Tuesday. MMAWeekly.com now reports that Herman’s Octagon debut is already lined up, and that the Indiana native will face Brit Rob Broughton as part of UFC 131 June 11 at the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Sporting an impressive record of 20-2, with 19 wins by way of knockout or submission, Herman has long been considered one of the most desirable heavyweight free agents in MMA. Along with Sengoku, the 26-year-old is a veteran of EliteXC and Bellator Fighting Championships. Herman was locked in a contract dispute with the latter promotion for the better part of 2010, but finally returned to the Bellator cage in September with a first-round omoplata submission of Poland’s Michal Kita.

Herman was last seen competing at Sengoku’s Dec. 30 “Soul of Fight” event, where he took a unanimous decision over Pride veteran Yoshihiro “Kiss” Nakao. The 6-foot-5, 240-pounder’s professional ledger includes victories over the likes of Don Frye, Ron Waterman, and “Big” Jim York.

Broughton, a former Cage Rage British heavyweight champion, made a successful UFC debut at UFC 120 in October. Despite falling behind early, “The Bear” came back to score a third-round rear-naked choke submission against Vinicius Kappke de Queiroz, who later allegedly tested positive for banned substances. Prior to entering the UFC, the Liverpudlian notched wins against Britain’s biggest names at heavyweight, including Neil Grove, Neil Wain and James Thompson, twice.

Reader comments are active below. Register an opinion by signing in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Yahoo! account.
view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Veteran Japanese fighter Tatsuya Kawajiri says he's asked for release from UFC contract

  • 10 days ago

Although he didn’t lay out any specific reasons, you can Tatsuya Kawajiri to the list of fighters who have said they want out of the UFC. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC: Tatsuya Kawajiri Requests Release from Contract

  • 10 days ago

UFC featherweightTatsuya Kawajiri has confirmed via Twitter that he has requested his release from the promotion.Kawajiri, who fought in his native Japan for the majority of his career, has also comp read news >>

Ralek Gracie signs with Bellator, plans to debut at Bellator 170 in January

  • a day ago

After signing a Bellator contract, Ralek Gracie is planning to compete in MMA for the first time since May 2010.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva Heads to Russia Following UFC Release | MMAWeekly.com

  • a day ago

Former Elite XC Heavyweight champion Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva was released by the UFC last week and will fight in Russia on November 18. read news >>

Two-time Olympic gold medalist Kayla Harrison signs with WSOF

  • 17 hours ago

Two-time Olympic judo gold medalist Kayla Harrison is turning her attention to mixed martial arts.Filed under: Featured, News, WSOF read news >>

Ralek Gracie Signs with Bellator MMA | MMAWeekly.com

  • 12 hours ago

Bellator MMA announced on Wednesday the signing of unbeaten prospect Ralek Gracie to an exclusive multi-fight, multi-year contract. read news >>

Shane Carwin announces Rizin FF contract: On Dec. 29, it begins

  • 12 hours ago

After speculation started by his own Twitter posts, Shane Carwin made it official with a post on Reddit. The former UFC interim heavyweight champion has signed a deal with Rizin FF.Filed under: News read news >>

Georges St-Pierre is a free agent; UFC contract terminated

  • 10 days ago

UFC legend Georges St-Pierre says his contract with the UFC has been terminated, ending speculation about a return. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre: I'm a Free Agent; UFC Contract Canceled | MMAWeekly.com

  • 10 days ago

"Right now, I’m free agent," said former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre says he is a free agent and no longer under UFC contract

  • 10 days ago

Georges St-Pierre says he terminated his contract with the UFC read news >>