Graham Spencer MFCWhile things didn’t exactly go how MFC featherweight Graham Spencer wanted, 2012 none the less was a successful year where he won both his fights and raised his record to 9-1.

“I only had two fights and would have liked to have been more active, but I had some family issues and stuff I needed to take care of,” Spencer told MMAWeeky.com.

“It would have been nice to get a finish against Shane (Nelson), but he’s a super-tough guy who I think has only been finished once his entire career, so it would have been nice if I could have put him away.”

Having taken steps to make fighting his sole focus, Spencer wants to be more active in 2013.

“Last year I quit my day job, so fighting is full-time for me now, and in order for me to keep that happening, I have to stay active,” he said. “I just can’t have two fights. I’d like to get in four if possible.”

Spencer will get his first chance to reach his fights goal when steps up in weight to rematch Mukai Maromo for the MFC lightweight title on Friday night in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada live on AXS TV.

“Mukai’s got really good striking and is going to be bigger than me – since this is my first fight at lightweight and I’m really not cutting any weight – he’s going to be big and super-athletic, but if I can get the fight to the ground I should have a pretty good time in there,” said Spencer.

“I’m also going to keep pushing the pace on him. He’s a big, muscular guy and I’m going to try to use that against him and make him tired. And because I’m not cutting any weight at all, I should have a lot of energy.”

Spencer confirmed that moving up to lightweight to fight Maromo is just a one-time thing, as win or lose, he fully intends on returning to 145 pounds once the division gets deeper in the MFC.

“I’m not going to be staying at lightweight,” said Spencer. “This is just a one-time thing.

“They didn’t really have any other featherweights for me at the moment. I know Mark (Pavelich, MFC Promoter) has got some big plans for building the featherweight division after this, and after this I think I’ll be right up there and be – if not the top guy – one of the top guys in the division for sure.”

Gastelum, Sanchez Get Call for Mexico City Bouts

The card for the UFC’s return to Mexico City on November 5 continues to build, as two more compelling matchups have been added to the show at Arena Ciudad de Mexico. read news >>

Gustafsson vs. Blachowicz: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 93

It was 11 months in the making for Alexander Gustafsson, but when he finally returned to the cage at UFC Fight Night 93 on Saturday against Jan Blachowicz, he did so in style. The popular Swede went read news >>

According to Alistair Overeem ‘CM Punk is Making a Mistake’ (UFC 203 Video)

Although Alistair Overeem welcomes CM Punk to the UFC, he believes that the former professional wrestler is making a mistake jumping into deep waters. read news >>

CM Punk invigorated by renewed Fight Week anticipation, excitement

By the time CM Punk decided to walk away from professional wrestling “making the walk” didn’t quite do it for him anymore. Just three days before he makes his first walk as an actual fighter, Punk is read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Reveals His Plan to Get the Title Back (UFC 203 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum plans to get back to a title fight by defeating Travis Browne again at UFC 203 on Saturday. read news >>

Legacy Fighting Alliance: The Anatomy of an MMA Mega Merger | MMAWeekly.com

Since coming on board with the RFA in 2012, Ed Soares has helped position the promotion as one of the top feeder leagues to shows like the UFC and Bellator. Years of steady growth and success could h read news >>

Dan Henderson's Post-UFC 204 Celebration Plan: A 220-Pound Pig | MMAWeekly.com

Dan Henderson has some fat plans for beginning his post-fighting life. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96's Will Brooks targets Michael Johnson for 'disrespectful' actions vs. Dustin Poirier

• a day ago

Lightweight Will Brooks is making his second octagon appearance at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 96, but he’s already got his next opponent in his sights. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>