Go behind the scenes of Georges St-Pierre's UFC 158 win over Nick Diaz


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Georges St-Pierre (24-2 MMA, 18-2 UFC) was feeling right at home this past Saturday when he fought Nick Diaz (26-9 MMA, 7-6 UFC).

The UFC welterweight champion, in front of his home crowd, beat up Diaz for five rounds for his 11th straight victory, 11th UFC title fight win and eighth consecutive title defense.

The main event was a fight years in the making. Fans first began talking about it when Diaz was Strikeforce’s welterweight champion. Then Diaz finally came to the UFC. But a planned fight with GSP was scratched when Diaz failed to show up for a pair of news conferences. Then, after beating B.J. Penn to get a shot at the champ, Diaz again had to wait when St-Pierre was injured. And after losing to Carlos Condit in an interim title fight, he was suspended for a year for failing a post-fight drug test.

But the stars finally aligned this past weekend, and St-Pierre, a 5-to-1 favorite, swept the judges’ scorecards with a unanimous 50-45 nod.

The promotion went behind the scenes of UFC 158, which took place at Bell Centre in Montreal.

Check out the video above.

For complete coverage of UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 26 days ago
  • 51 views

In the latest edition of the UFC’s new web series, go behind the scenes of the last days leading up to Saturday’s UFC 175.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos more

  • 22 hours ago
  • 127 views

Nick Diaz has not won a mixed martial arts (MMA) match since Oct. 2011, when he beat B.J. Penn from pillar to post en route to a unanimous decision win at UFC 137. Back-to-back losses since then, as well as a self-imposed two-year retirement, and Diaz could be back in Dana White's proverbial "title mix" if he is successful against former 185-pound champion, Anderson Silva, in the main event of UFC 183 on Jan. 31, 2015. That's according to White, who earlier this evening appeared on ESPN to discu more

  • 29 days ago
  • 76 views

Nick and Nate Diaz appear willing to continue their battle with the UFC over fighter pay as long as it takes after both used social media to make their continued complaints clear.
Nick Diaz and brother Nate Diaz are in a very unique situation in the modern mixed martial arts world. Where the UFC has failed in creating compelling, high drawing stars, the Diaz brothers--Nick especially--remain "mainstream attractions." This may be in large part due to antics that some find tasteless or objectionab more

  • 26 days ago
  • 110 views

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes said back in February that he'd be surprised to see fellow former champion Georges St-Pierre actually make a return to the Octagon. Now, Hughes is urging his former rival to make his competitive hiatus permanent.
"The UFC would hate me saying this but I'm going to say it anyway," Hughes told Canada.com (via MMA Mania). "If I was GSP, I'd probably hang them up. Here I am a guy that lost my (last) two fights and I'd love to get back in there (to finish more

  • 24 days ago
  • 133 views

LAS VEGAS -- UFC president Dana White discusses job opportunities in the UFC, Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz, Joe Rogan's fighting future, Gina Carano, Georges St-Pierre, and much more Friday evening at the UFC Fan Expo. more

  • 17 days ago
  • 127 views

Check out the behind the scenes lead-up to Saturday's UFC Fight Night Dublin main event between Conor McGregor and Diego Brandao, as well as Gunnar Nelson vs. Zak Cummings. more

  • 6 days ago
  • 18 views

It took over a year, but Diaz is back in the Octagon.
Nick Diaz has returned to the UFC. Good news for fans of trash talk and action fights, bad news for guys who aren't fans of Nick Diaz. Diaz went into retirement shortly after losing to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 158 in March of last year. While sitting on the sidelines, he had a lot of criticism of the UFC's monetary stinginess and exactly what kind of fights or contract that it would take to get him back in the Octagon. For a long time it sou more

  • 5 days ago
  • 19 views

Nick Diaz has signed a contract to return to the UFC. The former Strikeforce welterweight champion sign the deal Thursday at UFC headquarters and is eyeing a 2015 return. more

  • 5 days ago
  • 19 views

If there was ever any question that holding out can be good for the career of a mixed martial artist, look no further than the story of Nick Diaz for the answer.
Diaz, 30, signed a three-fight contract extension with the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Thursday. The signing was announced by UFC president Dana White on Twitter, and it was followed swiftly by a full-on media assault from the UFC headquarters:
Here is a photo of Nick with White and Lorenzo Fertitta! Here is a photo of Nick signin more