Glover Teixeira Talks About

Third-ranked UFC light heavyweight Glover Teixeira doesn't want to make excuses regarding his unanimous-decision loss to Jon Jones in their title fight at UFC 172

Teixeira, however, offered an explanation for his lackluster performance that resulted in his first career UFC setback to MMAFighting.com's Guilherme Cruz.

That shoulder crank in the first round really hurt me. I regret letting him do that, it was a big mistake. But there’s nothing I can do about it now. After the first round, I had no punching power, and I had to push him with my left arm in the clinch, so I pretty much tired my both shoulders. I have to evolve in a lot of aspects of the fight, there’s not much to say.

Because of Jones' wicked first-round shoulder crank on Teixeira, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt who's never been submitted, the 34-year-old Brazilian will need surgery to repair his torn labrum.

Regardless of the fight's lopsided outcome, Teixeira, unbeaten since 2005 prior to UFC 172, still talked about squandered opportunities against "Bones."

"I’m disappointed with the fight and the things I let him do. Some things I thought would be harder to do, like blocking his kicks and closing the distance, but it was easier than I thought. I can’t say ‘Oh, if I had the chance to close the distance and hit him.’ I had that chance."

Taking advantage of his 84.5-inch reach, Jones outstruck Teixeira, 158-65, including 138-53 in the significant strikes category, according to FightMetric.

Jones suffered his lone career loss in a disqualification against Matt Hamill in 2009. He has defended his 205-pound belt a record seven times.

Teixeira won his first five bouts in the UFC, including two by submission and two by TKO.

Glover Teixeira Focused on Anthony Johnson, Doesn’t Really Care About Jon Jones (UFC 202 Video)

Glover Teixeira could be lined up for a title fight is he gets past Anthony "Rumble" Johnson at UFC 202 on Aug. 20, but all everyone wants to talk about is Jon Jones. read news >>

Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

In a light heavyweight landscape without Jon Jones, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is the clear-cut No. 1 contender to Daniel Cormier's throne. That's the statement Johnson went about proving in the co-mai read news >>

Daniel Cormier Calls out Rumble Johnson After UFC 202 Win, Dismisses Jon Jones

Following Anthony Johnson's 13-second knockout of Glover Teixeira at UFC 202, Johnson immediately called for a rematch against champion Daniel Cormier, who was in the audience. Cormier took to Twitte read news >>

Dana White Wants to Make Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson for a Shot at Daniel Cormier

Anthony Johnson and Daniel Cormier are both ready to rematch each other, but UFC president Dana White may have other plans, which include Jon Jones. read news >>

Jon Jones, Brock Lesnar Suspensions Reportedly May Be Shortened

Jon Jones and Brock Lesnar, who each tested positive for banned substances before UFC 200, may face only a maximum one-year ban because the drug they took could have a "credible non-doping explanatio read news >>

VIDEO: Watch Jon Jones ‘Spar’ with Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa

Watch Jon Jones get some "sparring" in with Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa. read news >>

Dana White Video: Weighing in on Conor McGregor, Ronda Rousey, and Georges St-Pierre

• 9 hours ago

Watch as Dana White talks about what's next for Conor McGregor, when and how monumental Ronda Rousey's return will be, his thoughts on Georges St-Pierre, and more. read news >>

UFC 202 Results: Anthony Johnson Flattens Glover Teixeira in 13 Seconds

Top light heavyweight contender Anthony Johnson made quick work of second ranked Glover Teixeira in the UFC 202 co-main event on Saturday in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 202 Fight Highlights: Anthony Johnson KO’s Glover Teixeira in 13 Seconds!

Check out the UFC 202 fight highlights from the bout between Anthony Johnson and Glover Teixeira. read news >>

Nate Diaz Talks Conor McGregor, UFC 202 Presser After Water Bottle Incident

Nate Diaz described himself as an "unstoppable force" and said he "cannot be killed" after bottles were thrown as he clashed with Conor McGregor ahead of the pair's rematch at UFC 202 on Saturday. Ha read news >>