Despite earning the biggest win of his career Saturday night, Glover Teixeira is not ready to name himself the UFC light heavyweight division’s No. 1 contender, nor is he pining for a shot at the winner of Jon JonesUFC 159 title defense against Chael Sonnen.

“That’s not my job. The No. 1 contender right now is Chael Sonnen. You have to respect that,” Teixeira told Fox Sports after his unanimous decision victory over Quinton Jackson in the co-main event of UFC on Fox 6. “I think Chael is a good fighter, but I believe Jones is going to keep the title. [Waiting for the winner] is going to take too long. I want to fight before that.”

Teixeira put forth an excellent performance at United Center in Chicago, mixing up punches, kicks and takedowns to keep Jackson on his toes throughout the 15 minute contest. Teixeira even dropped “Rampage” near the end of the first frame but was unable to finish the resilient veteran.

“He’s tough, man. I knew he was tough. This is a guy who has pride. I hit him with good shots, but he hits hard, too,” said Teixeira. “I couldn’t become cocky in that situation and get caught with a punch, so I took my time. I swear, I hit him hard. I hurt him, and I thought it was going to be a knockout.”

Though the Pit representative never relinquished control of the contest to his battle-tested foe, the Brazil native said the third frame proved to be the most challenging due to a nagging rib issue sustained in training camp. Still, he credits Jackson’s toughness and punching power for forcing him to go the distance.

“I had a little problem with my body before I came to this fight. My rib was a little hurt, and I felt it a little bit in the third round, but there are no excuses. I wasn’t going to [give] excuses if I lost this fight, so there are no excuses [for not finishing my opponent],” said Teixeira. “Quinton is a tough son of a gun. It was just a little problem, and I guarantee he had the same [type] of thing, too. No fighter comes in 100 percent. If you come 100 percent to a fight, it means you’re not training.”

In spite of the well documented pre-fight hype between the men, Teixeira maintains that he has always been a fan of the former champion and his fighting style. Soon after the bout concluded, Teixeira said the veteran reciprocated the attitude, offering both respect and encouragement.

“I’m a big fan of Quinton Jackson. He’s my idol,” said Teixeira. “[After the fight, Jackson] said, ‘Now I’m your fan. Go and be a champion.’ I would never disrespect him. It was amazing. It was a great fight with him.”

UFC 205 Betting Preview: Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez Odds, Analysis

The biggest card in MMA history will take place Saturday night at Madison Square Garden in New York City, headlined by Conor McGregor (20-3) vs. Eddie Alvarez (28-4) for the lightweight championship read news >>

UFC 205 Predictions: Bleacher Report Full Card Staff Picks

Eddie Alvarez and Conor McGregor are set to headline the biggest card in UFC history, UFC 205. And boy, just look at this lineup of fights: Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen read news >>

UFC 205 Fight Card: PPV Schedule, Odds and Predictions for Alvarez vs. McGregor

Eddie Alvarez and Conor McGregor will headline the biggest card in UFC history on Saturday evening, when a blockbuster UFC 205 lineup makes its way to New York City. Madison Square Garden will bear w read news >>

UFC 205: Raquel Pennington vs. Miesha Tate video highlights

Raquel Pennington picked up the biggest win of her pro career when she topped Miesha Tate, her former coach on “The Ultimate Fighter.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

ONE Championship 49 highlights: Shinya Aoki loses title in one of 2016's biggest upsets

For the first time in 10 fights and four-and-a-half years, Shinya Aoki has suffered an MMA loss – and it came in one of the year’s biggest upsets.Filed under: News read news >>

Michael Chandler vs. Benson Henderson: A Head-to-Toe Breakdown

Benson Henderson was one of Bellator's biggest signings to date when he inked in early 2016, but his showings inside the cage have not lived up to expectations just yet. Henderson debuted in a welter read news >>

Ryan Bader Dominates Rogerio Nogueira in Brazil (UFC Sao Paulo Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Ryan Bader topped Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in a one-sided rematch, earning a stoppage in the third round of their main event at UFC Sao Paulo on Saturday in Brazil. read news >>

Ryan Bader Mauls Rogerio Nogueira (UFC Sao Paulo Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Watch the highlights from the UFC Sao Paulo main event between light heavyweights Ryan Bader and Rogerio Nogui read news >>

Cole Miller vs. Mizuto Hirota joins UFC on FOX 22 lineup

Next month’s UFC on FOX 22 lineup has its 13th matchup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor's Agent Comments on UFC Fighter Possibly Joining WWE

Conor McGregor is arguably the biggest star in the UFC, but he will continue looking for other ways to spend his time. According to his agent, Audie Attar, McGregor will consider joining WWE if he is read news >>