Despite earning the biggest win of his career Saturday night, Glover Teixeira is not ready to name himself the UFC light heavyweight division’s No. 1 contender, nor is he pining for a shot at the winner of Jon JonesUFC 159 title defense against Chael Sonnen.

“That’s not my job. The No. 1 contender right now is Chael Sonnen. You have to respect that,” Teixeira told Fox Sports after his unanimous decision victory over Quinton Jackson in the co-main event of UFC on Fox 6. “I think Chael is a good fighter, but I believe Jones is going to keep the title. [Waiting for the winner] is going to take too long. I want to fight before that.”

Teixeira put forth an excellent performance at United Center in Chicago, mixing up punches, kicks and takedowns to keep Jackson on his toes throughout the 15 minute contest. Teixeira even dropped “Rampage” near the end of the first frame but was unable to finish the resilient veteran.

“He’s tough, man. I knew he was tough. This is a guy who has pride. I hit him with good shots, but he hits hard, too,” said Teixeira. “I couldn’t become cocky in that situation and get caught with a punch, so I took my time. I swear, I hit him hard. I hurt him, and I thought it was going to be a knockout.”

Though the Pit representative never relinquished control of the contest to his battle-tested foe, the Brazil native said the third frame proved to be the most challenging due to a nagging rib issue sustained in training camp. Still, he credits Jackson’s toughness and punching power for forcing him to go the distance.

“I had a little problem with my body before I came to this fight. My rib was a little hurt, and I felt it a little bit in the third round, but there are no excuses. I wasn’t going to [give] excuses if I lost this fight, so there are no excuses [for not finishing my opponent],” said Teixeira. “Quinton is a tough son of a gun. It was just a little problem, and I guarantee he had the same [type] of thing, too. No fighter comes in 100 percent. If you come 100 percent to a fight, it means you’re not training.”

In spite of the well documented pre-fight hype between the men, Teixeira maintains that he has always been a fan of the former champion and his fighting style. Soon after the bout concluded, Teixeira said the veteran reciprocated the attitude, offering both respect and encouragement.

“I’m a big fan of Quinton Jackson. He’s my idol,” said Teixeira. “[After the fight, Jackson] said, ‘Now I’m your fan. Go and be a champion.’ I would never disrespect him. It was amazing. It was a great fight with him.”

Dana White says UFC 190's pay-per-view buys trending ahead of UFC 189

Dana White last night said that UFC 190 is trending ahead of its biggest show this year, UFC 189 from three weeks ago. Early evidence of public interest shows that he may have understated that. After read news >>

UFC 190: Results and Reactions from Biggest Fights on Rousey vs. Correia Card

Ronda Rousey retained her bantamweight championship and improved her record to 12-0 Saturday night at UFC 190 in what's become typical Rousey-fight fashion: unsparing, unrelenting and under a minute. read news >>

UFC 190 results: Biggest winners, losers from 'Rousey vs Correia' in Brazil

Let's run down the list of "Who’s Hot" and "Who’s Not" from UFC 190: "Rousey vs Correia," which took place last night (Sat., Aug. 1st, 2015), nominating the biggest winners and losers from the pay-pe read news >>

Ben Saunders Talks Veteran Grit and His Blood-Soaked Victory at UFC on Fox 16

"You're down two rounds. You have to finish him." Those were the words that came blasting from Ben Saunders' corner as he floated in the moments just before the final frame of his bout against Kenny read news >>

At least Leandro Issa isn't UFC 190's biggest underdog

Leandro Issa is underdog tonight at UFC 190, but, of course, he’s not the biggest one.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Forever the underdog, Fabricio Werdum says Bethe Correia can upset Ronda Rousey

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Bethe Correia would score one of the biggest upsets in UFC history with a win over Ronda Rousey at UFC 190 in Brazil, and an expert on shocking the world gives her advice ahead of t read news >>

Brazilian judge bans kids under 14 from UFC 190 event

Kids won’t be allowed inside the HSBC Arena for the biggest UFC Brazil card of the year. Pedro Henrique Alves, a judge from the Rio de Janeiro children, youth and the elderly court, has decided on Fr read news >>

Pan American gold medalist once beat UFC star Ronda Rousey, but doesn’t remember it

Marti Malloy won the biggest title of her career at the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto, but won’t be following one of the biggest names in Judo history to mixed martial arts. Malloy defeated Cath read news >>

UFC 190: Ronda Rousey's Legacy Is That of a Show(wo)man

Ronda Rousey is among the biggest stars in MMA. Maybe the biggest star. As a champion, though, she's beating overmatched foes in seconds and parading around the Octagon buoyed by the UFC's marketing read news >>

Kenny Florian: Correia Beating Rousey Would Be 'Biggest Upset in UFC History'

It feels like another day at the office as Ronda Rousey prepares to defend her UFC title against Bethe Correia at UFC 190. The reigning champ is expected to waltz right into the HSBC Arena in Rio on read news >>