Despite earning the biggest win of his career Saturday night, Glover Teixeira is not ready to name himself the UFC light heavyweight division’s No. 1 contender, nor is he pining for a shot at the winner of Jon JonesUFC 159 title defense against Chael Sonnen.

“That’s not my job. The No. 1 contender right now is Chael Sonnen. You have to respect that,” Teixeira told Fox Sports after his unanimous decision victory over Quinton Jackson in the co-main event of UFC on Fox 6. “I think Chael is a good fighter, but I believe Jones is going to keep the title. [Waiting for the winner] is going to take too long. I want to fight before that.”

Teixeira put forth an excellent performance at United Center in Chicago, mixing up punches, kicks and takedowns to keep Jackson on his toes throughout the 15 minute contest. Teixeira even dropped “Rampage” near the end of the first frame but was unable to finish the resilient veteran.

“He’s tough, man. I knew he was tough. This is a guy who has pride. I hit him with good shots, but he hits hard, too,” said Teixeira. “I couldn’t become cocky in that situation and get caught with a punch, so I took my time. I swear, I hit him hard. I hurt him, and I thought it was going to be a knockout.”

Though the Pit representative never relinquished control of the contest to his battle-tested foe, the Brazil native said the third frame proved to be the most challenging due to a nagging rib issue sustained in training camp. Still, he credits Jackson’s toughness and punching power for forcing him to go the distance.

“I had a little problem with my body before I came to this fight. My rib was a little hurt, and I felt it a little bit in the third round, but there are no excuses. I wasn’t going to [give] excuses if I lost this fight, so there are no excuses [for not finishing my opponent],” said Teixeira. “Quinton is a tough son of a gun. It was just a little problem, and I guarantee he had the same [type] of thing, too. No fighter comes in 100 percent. If you come 100 percent to a fight, it means you’re not training.”

In spite of the well documented pre-fight hype between the men, Teixeira maintains that he has always been a fan of the former champion and his fighting style. Soon after the bout concluded, Teixeira said the veteran reciprocated the attitude, offering both respect and encouragement.

“I’m a big fan of Quinton Jackson. He’s my idol,” said Teixeira. “[After the fight, Jackson] said, ‘Now I’m your fan. Go and be a champion.’ I would never disrespect him. It was amazing. It was a great fight with him.”

UFC 188: Results and Reactions from Saturday's Biggest Fights

Fabricio Werdum shocked the world with his third-round submission win over Cain Velasquez on Saturday night. With the victory, Werdum became the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. The 37-y read news >>

UFC 188 results: Biggest winners, losers from 'Velasquez vs Werdum' in Mexico

Let's run down the list of "Who’s Hot" and "Who’s Not" from UFC 188: "Velasquez vs Werdum," which took place last night (Sat., June 13, 2015), nominating the biggest winners and losers from the pay-p read news >>

UFC 188 preview show with Ariel Helwani and Dave Doyle

MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani and Dave Doyle delve into the biggest storylines ahead of the UFC 188 fight card in Mexico City. read news >>

Myles Jury Out, Paul Felder in Against Edson Barboza at UFC on Fox 16 in Chicago

UFC lightweight Myles "Fury" Jury has suffered an undisclosed injury, forcing him out of his scheduled clash with Edson Barboza at UFC on Fox 16 in Chicago. Stepping up in Jury's place at the July 25 read news >>

Myles Jury Injured, Edson Barboza Draws New UFC on FOX 16 Opponent

The UFC on FOX 16 bout between former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and Myles Jury is officially no more. read news >>

Myles Jury out, Paul Felder in to face Edson Barboza at UFC on FOX 16

A lightweight fight between Anthony Pettis and Myles Jury has now turned into Paul Felder vs. Edson Barboza at this July's UFC on Fox card in Chicago. When UFC on FOX 16 was initially announced, one read news >>

Myles Jury out, Paul Felder in against Edson Barboza at UFC on FOX 16

The lightweight carousel continues to churn for UFC on FOX 16, and Myles Jury is its latest casualty. The UFC announced Tuesday that Jury has pulled out of the July 25 event due to injury. Undefeated read news >>

Myles Jury injured: Paul Felder booked to face Edson Barboza at UFC on FOX 16 on July 25

This fight was originally Anthony Pettis vs. Myles Jury, but "Showtime" got hurt and was replaced by Edson Barboza. Now Jury is injured and unable to compete, so Paul Felder will step in on short not read news >>

With Myles Jury out, Edson Barboza gets new UFC on FOX 16 opponent

With Myles Jury out, lightweight Edson Barboza has a new opponent for next month’s UFC on FOX 16 event.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

The MMA Hour - 285 - Ovince Saint Preux

Ovince Saint Preux discusses about his Aug. 8 fight against Glover Teixeira and more. read news >>