Despite earning the biggest win of his career Saturday night, Glover Teixeira is not ready to name himself the UFC light heavyweight division’s No. 1 contender, nor is he pining for a shot at the winner of Jon JonesUFC 159 title defense against Chael Sonnen.

“That’s not my job. The No. 1 contender right now is Chael Sonnen. You have to respect that,” Teixeira told Fox Sports after his unanimous decision victory over Quinton Jackson in the co-main event of UFC on Fox 6. “I think Chael is a good fighter, but I believe Jones is going to keep the title. [Waiting for the winner] is going to take too long. I want to fight before that.”

Teixeira put forth an excellent performance at United Center in Chicago, mixing up punches, kicks and takedowns to keep Jackson on his toes throughout the 15 minute contest. Teixeira even dropped “Rampage” near the end of the first frame but was unable to finish the resilient veteran.

“He’s tough, man. I knew he was tough. This is a guy who has pride. I hit him with good shots, but he hits hard, too,” said Teixeira. “I couldn’t become cocky in that situation and get caught with a punch, so I took my time. I swear, I hit him hard. I hurt him, and I thought it was going to be a knockout.”

Though the Pit representative never relinquished control of the contest to his battle-tested foe, the Brazil native said the third frame proved to be the most challenging due to a nagging rib issue sustained in training camp. Still, he credits Jackson’s toughness and punching power for forcing him to go the distance.

“I had a little problem with my body before I came to this fight. My rib was a little hurt, and I felt it a little bit in the third round, but there are no excuses. I wasn’t going to [give] excuses if I lost this fight, so there are no excuses [for not finishing my opponent],” said Teixeira. “Quinton is a tough son of a gun. It was just a little problem, and I guarantee he had the same [type] of thing, too. No fighter comes in 100 percent. If you come 100 percent to a fight, it means you’re not training.”

In spite of the well documented pre-fight hype between the men, Teixeira maintains that he has always been a fan of the former champion and his fighting style. Soon after the bout concluded, Teixeira said the veteran reciprocated the attitude, offering both respect and encouragement.

“I’m a big fan of Quinton Jackson. He’s my idol,” said Teixeira. “[After the fight, Jackson] said, ‘Now I’m your fan. Go and be a champion.’ I would never disrespect him. It was amazing. It was a great fight with him.”

UFC on FOX 22 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 22 event, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out some of those reactions. read news >>

After UFC on FOX 22 loss, Sage Northcutt again changing divisions

Sage Northcutt is returning to the division where his UFC career began in such promising fashion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 22's Hector Sandoval injured hip in first round against Fredy Serrano

SACRAMENTO – UFC flyweight Hector Sandoval didn’t think much of Freddy Serrano and predicted a second-round finish in their UFC Fight Pass prelim at UFC on FOX 22. Fate had something else in mind.Fil read news >>

Disappointed Sultan Aliev admits playing it safe against Bojan Velickovic at UFC on FOX 22

SACRAMENTO – After nearly two years on the sidelines and a knockout loss in his UFC debut, welterweight Sultan Aliev admitted he was weighed down by pressure at UFC on FOX 22.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

10 memorable moments from UFC on FOX 22: Waterson, Gall and uncensored Cruz vs. Garbrandt

Check out 10 memorable moments from UFC on FOX 22 – some of which took place in the cage and a few outside of it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Urijah Faber Celebrates Retirement by Sitting Atop UFC on FOX 22 Fighter Salaries | MMAWeekly.com

Urijah Faber headed into retirement on Saturday night by sitting atop the UFC on FOX 22 fighter salaries. read news >>

Rose Namajunas calls for UFC on FOX 22 winner Michelle Waterson for next fight

UFC strawweight Rose Namajunas is looking to make a comeback, and she thinks a fight with the recently victorious Michelle Waterson is the right matchup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Leslie Smith said pro-union position put back against wall against at UFC on FOX 22

SACRAMENTO – Asked whether she felt she was fighting for her job in a UFC on FOX 22 meeting with Irene Aldana, Leslie Smith initially said she absolutely did, and that’s always the case when you figh read news >>

Dominick Cruz and Cody Garbrandt's Heated Exchange at UFC on Fox 22 (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz and his UFC 207 challenger Cody Garbrandt got into a heated exchange during their interview at UFC Fight Night 22. read news >>

Alan Jouban, Several Others Face 180-Day Suspensions After UFC on FOX 22 | MMAWeekly.com

Paige VanZant not only lost to Michelle Waterson in the UFC on FOX 22 main event on Saturday, she also was handed a 45-day mandatory suspension. read news >>