Gilbert Melendez - Strikeforce Barnett vs CormierGilbert Melendez has been everywhere and done everything in the mixed martial arts world… well, everywhere but the Octagon and everything but fighting for a UFC belt.

But now, he has that opportunity set before him. Melendez challenges UFC champion Benson Henderson at UFC on Fox 7 on Saturday. It is the opportunity to get off the roller coaster and finally “legitimize” all the prior accomplishments in his career in the eyes of the masses.

“It’s been a roller coaster ride. I’ve done some good things,” said Melendez during a Thursday media scrum. “And now I’m here for a title shot. At the end of the day, it’s been a good journey.

“It does (mean a lot to me). I feel like I get a lot of respect from everyone out here, from my peers and people that know what they’re talking about… I think not for myself, but I understand how people perceive me. If I win, it legitimizes everything, if I don’t, it won’t.”

Check out what Gilbert Melendez had to say during Thursday’s media scrum interview in San Jose, Calif.

Gilbert Melendez vs. Edson Barboza: A Head-to-Toe Breakdown

UFC on Fox 20 has a lightweight co-main event that fans will be standing to watch. The human highlight reel that is Edson Barboza (17-4) takes on the returning Gilbert Melendez (22-5) in Chicago. Bar read news >>

Gilbert Melendez vs. Edson Barboza Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox

At UFC on Fox 20 in Chicago, No. 6 lightweight Edson Barboza (18-4) took a unanimous decision over former Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez (22-6). Barboza's vicious kicks to the legs read news >>

UFC on FOX 20 Road to the Octagon: Gilbert Melendez vs. Edson Barboza

Go inside the lives and training camps of former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez and versatile striker Edson Barboza. read news >>

UFC on FOX 20 Results: Edson Barboza Kicks His Way to Decision Win Over Gilbert Melendez

Sixth-ranked lightweight Edson Barboza put on a leg kick clinic in the UFC on Fox 20 co-main event on Saturday, defeating former title contender Gilbert Melendez. read news >>

UFC on Fox 20 Video Highlights: Edson Barboza’s Win Over Gilbert Melendez

Check out the highlights as lightweight contenders Edson Barobza and Gilbert Melendez squared off in the UFC on Fox 20 co-main event on Saturday. read news >>

UFC on Fox 20 Video Highlights: Valentina Shevchenko Picks Holly Holm Apart

Check out highlights as former bantamweight champion Holly Holm stepped inside the Octagon for the first time since losing the belt, facing Valentina Shevchenko. read news >>

UFC on FOX 20 Fighter Bonuses: Felice Herrig Scores Big with Quick Submission

Felice Herrig's quick submission led the charge on the UFC on FOX 20 fighter bonuses. read news >>

UFC on FOX 20 Results: Valentina Shevchenko Upends Holly Holm, Calls for Title Shot

Valentina Shevchenko elevated herself to contender status and sent former champ Holly Holm back to the drawing board at UFC on FOX 20 on Saturday night. read news >>

Holly Holm vs. Valentina Shevchenko Results: Winner, Reaction from UFC on Fox 20

Valentina Shevchenko ensured that the run of upsets in the UFC women's bantamweight division didn't stop at UFC on Fox 20 on Saturday. The 28-year-old defied the odds against former champion Holly Ho read news >>

Holly Holm vs. Valentina Shevchenko: A Head-to-Toe Breakdown

UFC on Fox 20 is scheduled for July 23. The event is set to be headlined by a clash between bantamweights Holly Holm and Valentina Shevchenko. After capturing the division's title from Ronda Rousey i read news >>