Gilbert Melendez vs. Jorge Masvidal at StrikeforceStrikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez wanted to be a part of the promotion’s final show, but his injured shoulder had other ideas.

Melendez suffered the injury prior to his last scheduled fight against Pat Healy in September. Despite his best attempts at getting back in fight shape, the healing process just didn’t go as planned to allow him to fight in January.

“I was looking forward to doing the fight and I wanted to do it, I just wanted to test my shoulder to be 100-percent to compete. I said I really want to do this fight, let me just make sure my shoulder is good. We were all positive thinking my shoulder would hold up, and I want to fight, but my shoulder didn’t hold up. It did re-injure  and I did pick it up a little too early,” Melendez told MMAWeekly Radio recently.

“I’m sorry about that to Pat (Healy), but it is what it is.”

For now, Melendez is focused on getting healthy so he can book his next fight, which may very well be in the UFC, as Strikeforce is expected to close up shop following its January event. As far as his contract is concerned, Melendez doesn’t have much more information than the rest of us when it comes to Strikeforce’s ultimate fate and the fighters moving over to compete in the Octagon.

Of course Melendez is ready for that challenge whenever it happens, and he’s eyeing the top spot on day one.

“Your eyes are always on the guy with the UFC strap. Your eyes were on Frankie Edgar for a long time, and B.J. (Penn) for a long time, and everyone needs to adapt for the champ, to figure out how to beat them. I think about it all the time with Benson (Henderson),” said Melendez.

Henderson recently defeated Melendez’s teammate Nate Diaz to defend his UFC lightweight title. As much as he could with an injured shoulder, Melendez was there every day to help his teammate get ready, and it helped him start to break down how he would fight the UFC champion when his turn comes.

Melendez knows that he is the other obstacle standing in Henderson’s way from defining himself as the No. 1 lightweight in the world, so why not put that fight together and answer all the questions?

“If he wants to be undoubtedly No. 1, I think that would be a good victory for him to prove it or for me to prove otherwise. Another fight if I was in the UFC would be fine with me as well, but I’m ready now,” said Melendez.

“The fire was lit a couple of weeks ago. Since the buzz has been out, the fire has been lit. I definitely feel that.”

For now Melendez is focused on getting healthy. He heads back to the doctor next week and hopes to get final clearance to return to fight training.

Then it’s all about getting in shape and getting ready for the next challenge ahead. Melendez certainly hopes that challenge is named Benson Henderson.

“I hope everyone would get as excited as I would be about that,” Melendez stated. “In a perfect world. I’d love that fight with Benson, I really would.”

Be sure to follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Twitter.

Benson Henderson Prepares for Bellator Debut with Weight of Expectations

Of all the names that have bolted to Bellator from the UFC, Benson Henderson is the one that most surprised the mixed martial arts establishment. On a win streak, and upon increasing his value by fig read news >>

Benson Henderson unsure about future of free agency, but says fighters should be smarter

Benson Henderson said the biggest issue in MMA, especially as we hit a new era of free agency, is simply the youth of the sport as a whole.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Benson Henderson not thinking of historic implications of winning Bellator title

Benson Henderson is just over a week away from his chance to become the first fighter in MMA history to win Bellator and UFC championship belts in a career.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Benson Henderson to Join Military Reserves After Retiring from MMA

Former UFC and WEC fighter Benson Henderson will make his Bellator debut Friday, but fans shouldn’t get used to seeing him in the cage. Henderson appeared on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani on Monday read news >>

5 reasons to watch Bellator 153, including Benson Henderson's shot at yet another belt

Benson Henderson attempts to make history on Friday at Bellator 153 when he looks to add the Bellator welterweight belt to his collection of titles. It one of the primary reasons to watch the event.F read news >>

Bellator 153 weigh-in results: Champ Andrey Koreshkov, Benson Henderson official for title fight

The weigh-ins for Bellator 153 are in the books, and arguably the biggest name to cross over to the promotion from the UFC is set for his title shot.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 153 results: Andrey Koreshkov dominates Benson Henderson to retain title

All the talk leading up to Bellator 153 revolved around Benson Henderson’s jump from the UFC to Bellator. Andrey Koreshkov put a five round beating on Henderson to retain his welterweight title and r read news >>

Twitter reacts to Benson Henderson's upset loss to champ Koreshkov at Bellator 153

Benson Henderson was supposed to make waves in the first fight of his Bellator career at Bellator 153. Apparently Andrey Koreshkov didn’t receive the memo. Check out the top reactions to Koreshkov’s read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Andrey Koreshkov Routes Benson Henderson to Keep the Belt

Benson Henderson received a rude welcome from welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov at Bellator 153 on Friday night in Uncasville, Conn. read news >>

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Benson Henderson Results: Winner, Reaction for Bellator 153

When the Bellator brass decided to put new free-agent signing Benson Henderson in a title fight with Andrey Koreshkov, there was the potential for its reigning champion to receive a huge boost in pro read news >>