Gilbert Melendez didn’t exactly look forward to fighting Josh Thomson for a third time, but after pulling out a split decision to win the trilogy, he thinks he’ll be more excited for his next Strikeforce lightweight title defense.

“It’s a little tough getting up for these fights but more tough getting up for Josh Thomson, a real tough guy and a guy that you never look forward to fighting and you’d thought you’d moved passed it,” Melendez told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I’m just glad that’s over with. But someone like [Pat] Healy, I think that could be pretty interesting.”

Healy, who has won four straight, could be Melendez’s next opponent. There have also been rumors that a challenger from the UFC could cross over to Strikeforce.

“That would be great, and maybe it will happen,” Melendez said. “Maybe it will happen. I just can’t be worrying about it too much or let it get to me too much. I just have to continue to work hard and do my thing. But it would be really cool if for some reason the fight gods decided to send someone over for me that gets us real motivated and makes the fans real excited and gets people interested in seeing it.”

Melendez is in a tough spot. He’s ranked No. 3 in the world, but most of the best lightweights are in the UFC. In Strikeforce he could be left fighting opposition not quite at his level, putting him in a situation where he gets criticized even after wins.

“As of now I’m just going to have to deal with the criticism,” Melendez said. “I’m damned if I do, damned if I don’t in my situation right now. I don’t even want to preach that I’m the number one fighter in the world anymore. I just want to go do my thing in Strikeforce, and if somehow that opportunity comes up where I can prove it and fight some of the top talent, then I’m definitely up for it. But as of now, I’m going to be doing my thing here. I’m happy with Strikeforce and I’m happy with Showtime overall. Just sometimes you want different talent, but I’m happy overall.”

At times it has looked as if Melendez would make the jump to the UFC. For now, though, his home is Strikeforce.

“It’s tough, man, but right now at least I know I’m going to be in Strikeforce,” he said. “It was a little more tough when you think you might be going and you don’t know what’s going on. You have hopes. You have mixed emotions. Now I know I’m in Strikeforce and I know what I’m dealing with. I’m going to be up for my next fight. I’m going to be up for it.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:25:50).

Brian Camozzi Looking Forward to a Fresh Start at RFA 34

Following a nearly non-existent 2015, Brian Camozzi is looking forward to a fresh start to the year at RFA 34 on Friday night. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 results: Dominick Cruz regains title with split over T.J. Dillashaw

BOSTON – Dominick Cruz didn’t lose his bantamweight title in the cage and T.J. Dillashaw needed to beat him to prove that he was the true champion. Unfortunately for Dillashaw, Cruz returned in his o read news >>

Dominick Cruz's win, like his comeback, a testament to resilience and resolve

Dominick Cruz didn’t dominate T.J. Dillashaw to reclaim the UFC bantamweight title that he never technically lost, but after all he’s been through, maybe that’s the most fitting way for Cruz to burst read news >>

Michael Chandler negotiating new Bellator deal, wants Benson Henderson or Josh Thomson

Former Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler thinks he’s got a pretty powerful piece of leverage in negotiating a new deal with his promoter.Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, Rad read news >>

Urijah Faber: Dillashaw got manipulated, can't foresee return to Team Alpha Male

BOSTON – Urijah Faber didn’t want to come to Boston to see live the UFC bantamweight title fight between T.J. Dillashaw and Dominick Cruz. He was there because he got paid – sort of.Filed under: Feat read news >>

How a couple of eyepokes changed Matt Mitrione’s career plans (spoiler: they didn’t)

UFC heavyweight Matt Mitrione expects to undergo surgery Monday for an orbital blowout fracture he suffered from a Travis Browne punch at UFC Fight Night 81.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 results: Randy Brown outworks Matt Dwyer for decision win

NEWARK, N.J. – Randy Brown didn’t exactly blow away the competition in his UFC debut, but when pushed to the limit by Matt Dwyer, the much-hyped prospect did just enough to win in a very close fight. read news >>

Fighter reactions to Sage Northcutt's UFC on FOX 18 loss were harsh to say the least

Sage Northcutt’s fellow fighters didn’t hesitate to kick him while he was down after the 19-year-old suffered the first defeat of his career on Saturday at UFC on FOX 18.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC newcomer Randy Brown 'can't wait to do it again'

NEWARK, N.J. – Randy Brown didn’t quite make the same impact as the man who blazed the trail he took to the UFC, Sage Northcutt, but “Rude Boy” said he felt comfortable in his win and is ready to go read news >>

Bellator signs PRIDE, Strikeforce, veteran heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov to multi-fight deal

Two days after the announcement of one of its highest profile free-agent signings to date, Bellator continues to bolster its roster with the addition of a veteran heavyweight.Filed under: Bellator, N read news >>